Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

Not at all. Once Robert sets aside Cersei, he'd just need to declare his children illegitimate.

Roger Mortimer hardly compares, seeing as how he rose up against his king rather than set aside his spouse.

Ok, but what is the precedence? What's the excuse? Henry VIII had to jump through enormous hoops to marry Anne Boleyn and disinherit Mary, then even more to do the same to Elizabeth... and both still ascended the throne after his death.

Renly knowing about the incest erases these problems.

The show only doesn't really talks about regions, does it? Except for the north. And the other places KL, Meereen, Braavos, and now Dorne. I wonder if unsullied get the whole 'regions' thing. :dunno:

I can't even count over the years how many shownly's have asked me '7 kingdoms? What 7 kingdoms?'

Ok, will they make him Satannis!evil or charming Ramsay!evil would've been a better question

maybe next season he will be the star and Ramsay will be out of favour. Or Euron will be a New Ellaria

I don't know, Euron is supposed to be a very sinister figure in the books, while showRamsay is like an evil manic pixy girl.

Agree, Euron is terrifying, creepy, and ominous. Rambosay is a goofy jokey guy with psychopathic tendencies and poor impulse control who pretty much gets everything he wants and is a badass military leader and guerilla warfare participant. Book!Ramsay is pretty terrifying though in his complete lack of regard for anyone or anything, Show!Ramsay didn't even care when Sansa backtalked him and called him a bastard?

I was sure Jon would send someone to Dragonstone...heck maybe Davos. Someone has to get more dragon glass.

But then Show!Jon would have to acknowledge Hardhome and what happened there, and for some reason we can't have that :dunno:

I have to disagree with you here. I think she was exceptional, and they ruined it with an overabundance of full frontal. They didn't need to show a full body shot that many times. It was uncomfortable enough and powerful enough with the bell and the jeering and spitting and the look on her face. Humiliation was the point of that scene, not nudity.

How could she be exceptional? She wasn't even there for half the shots. I think it was a cop out and I think the scene suffered for it. I also was kind of peeved when her hack and slash haircut turned into a fun summer pixie cut magically. That also kind of had a whiff of a lack of dedication.

You say nudity wasn't the point. Do you think the scene in the show/books would have had the same impact if she had been clothed? You are confusing nudity with titilation.

She is literally naked in every sense of the word in that scene. Nudity IS the point but not in any sexual way.

But then Show!Jon would have to acknowledge Hardhome and what happened there, and for some reason we can't have that :dunno:

Right? The chat they wrote for Jon with Sam was basically, "Well, we lost that bag and there aren't enough Valyrian swords in the world so...we're screwed. Speaking of screwed, tell me about you and Gilly."

:bang:

I was sure Jon would send someone to Dragonstone...heck maybe Davos. Someone has to get more dragon glass.

Clearly not as important as *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* talk with Sam. Speaking of which, I feel like a huge opportunity was missed regarding Sam and Gilly. Why the fuck didn't Thorne send Sam and Gilly away to Oldtowne after the attempted rape. Even Evil!Thorne would want to use the opportunity to get rid of Jon's allies, and it just makes sense. Unless Evil!Thorne thinks rape is good for morale, which seems unlikely, then its a distraction to them doing their job to have Gilly around and having an excuse to get rid of the two of them seems like the thing to do. Even the few Jon supporters left wouldn't object, because they need a Maester. And I'm fairly sure Jon's return to the Wall would've been alot more ominous with him looking for Sam, not finding him and instead nothing but hate-faces staring back.

About Brienne's words....

It doesn't matter characterwise. It was just one last insult to Stannis (and his fans, let's not pretend they are very respectful to any fans). They said they loved Renly and thought he would make a great king and hated Stannis.

Of course, as soon as they get to where the book material ends, Stannis burns his daughter who he loves very much without considering the many other options, pretty much everyone abandons him, he gets curb-stomped while making ridiculous rookie mistakes (no scouts, no formations), and dies in the name of Renly. It's clear that the "rightful king" bit was just one more insult to injury. As was Stannis's acceptance of the fact.

It was D&D's way of saying Renly should have been king and Stannis would have been better off accepting that.

Right? The chat they wrote for Jon with Sam was basically, "Well, we lost that bag and there aren't enough Valyrian swords in the world so...we're screwed. Speaking of screwed, tell me about you and Gilly."

:bang:

Team Night King! Join the undead army.

Ok, but what is the precedence? What's the excuse? Henry VIII had to jump through enormous hoops to marry Anne Boleyn and disinherit Mary, then even more to do the same to Elizabeth... and both still ascended the throne after his death.

Renly knowing about the incest erases these problems.

If Renly knew, he'd have said so either when he was setting up Robert with Margery or after Robert's death.

About Brienne's words....

It doesn't matter characterwise. It was just one last insult to Stannis (and his fans, let's not pretend they are very respectful to any fans). They said they loved Renly and thought he would make a great king and hated Stannis.

Of course, as soon as they get to where the book material ends, Stannis burns his daughter who he loves very much without considering the many other options, pretty much everyone abandons him, he gets curb-stomped while making ridiculous rookie mistakes (no scouts, no formations), and dies in the name of Renly. It's clear that the "rightful king" bit was just one more insult to injury. As was Stannis's acceptance of the fact.

It was D&D's way of saying Renly should have been king and Stannis would have been better off accepting that.

This. The end. It made sense creatively...

Clearly not as important as *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* talk with Sam. Speaking of which, I feel like a huge opportunity was missed regarding Sam and Gilly. Why the fuck didn't Thorne send Sam and Gilly away to Oldtowne after the attempted rape. Even Evil!Thorne would want to use the opportunity to get rid of Jon's allies, and it just makes sense. Unless Evil!Thorne thinks rape is good for morale, which seems unlikely, then its a distraction to them doing their job to have Gilly around and having an excuse to get rid of the two of them seems like the thing to do. Even the few Jon supporters left wouldn't object, because they need a Maester. And I'm fairly sure Jon's return to the Wall would've been alot more ominous with him looking for Sam, not finding him and instead nothing but hate-faces staring back.

I absolutely hate how the handled Sam this season and it was best captured by his bro-like conversation with Jon. Sam really struggled with the decision to have sex with Gilly and his vows are in his mind constantly. But such a nuanced approach doesn't work for the show, apparently.

I keep forgetting to post this, but seriously - what even was Dany's arc this season?

I don't even know, that's what kills me since I am obsessed with her ADWD arc (and I know you love Dany too).

She's basically a puppet for whatever Barristan/Grey Worm/Daario suggest to her the first few episodes, then she decides to do her own thing for a second, then she goes back to listening to them, then she kills someone with her dragons, becoming for a second Aerys III and the Mad Queen, then we forget all that and she becomes a benevolent ruler again trying to do the right thing, then she is squeamish in the fighting pits only a few episodes after staring unblinking at a man being demolished and ripped apart and burned alive by her dragons, then she meets Tyrion and has some circlejerky meaningless dialogue with him that gives no further insight into who she is or her character, then the pits happen and she abandons her friends by leaving on Drogon and now she wants to go back and leaves a breadcrumb because she is a damsel in distress once again who need the men to help her out.

Instead of: Dany slowly gives more and more concessions in order to bring peace to Meereen, she sacrifices many parts of her ideals and locks her dragons up, and doesn't see them again but only thinks about them to remind herself that part of her is past her now, she is now a mother to her people and must plant trees, only to find she is unhappy. She successfully brings peace to Meereen only to find it's not what she really wants and realizes the many sacrifices she's made are not worth it because she will never understand/fit in with Meereenese culture. Then she has an act of defiance, saves Drogon from the pits, reclaims her identity in the Dothraki sea, enjoys some smoked horse with him, and is last seen standing tall next to Drogon as the Dothraki Khalasar comes.

Which is better?

Also, I asked my shownly boyfriend what he thought of Dany and he said: badass dragon queen. I said, "yes, but what about her thoughts, her motivations, her feelings, her goals?" and he thought for a second before shrugging his shoulders. We've gotten absolutely zero insight into her inner struggles. Instead she seems like a hot and cold confused queen that does fire and blood one minute then peace and justice the next.

about Sand Snakes' dresses - what the hell was that maternity wear pink monstrosity one of them was wearing at the docks? And was it Obara or Nymeria?

It was Nymeria and they looked so ridiculous in Myrcella froufrou dresses after their previous scenes :lol: Even Fauxllaria had a tissue paper gauzey monstrosity on. What is with the off the shoulder part of the dress?

Archived