Mel is a hoax... Dornish links?

oconuur

She's weird. From Asshai, not the free cities like Thoros and Illyrio.

While I think she might be a fugazi. She might also be a red priestess with true magic and essential to AA reborn, not just some meaningless ressurections.

I'm hoping she looks something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/MnN9b3s.jpg

or perhaps this

http://i.imgur.com/efZvMzd.jpg

under her glamour. I'm not buying anything less than total bodily corruption for a character that can grow and birth shadowy assassins in their womb.

Nah, her whole body is a burn scar from neck to toe, just like Melissan from Baldur's Gate II, which I suspect GRRM took inspiration from...

when she picked up gendry's/edric storm's blood she should have whispered the deaths of joffrey tommen and myrcella (not robb and balon), plus the same shadow baby for renly and that's it...Stannis automatically world champion of Westeros Shireen bethroted to Rickon to keep the North submitted friendly and then all together against balon..but noo she asked for robb and balon...

She can birth shadow babies that can move and kill.

She can see the EXACT future in the fires. But she is not perfect in interpreting them.

She can enchant someone's appearance with a glamor to fool everyone with looks. She even is glamored herself at all times.

She glamors herself to look like Ygritte and says "you know nothing" right to Jon's face.

She doesn't need to eat or drink or sleep at nearly the levels of the average person.

She walks along The Wall wearing only light clothing.

Her god can resurrect people like Thoros with Beric.

Moqorro healed Victarion's poisoned wound with magic.

Stannis called it right. "The Red God has power". There is some sort of power. Is it because of the rebirth of dragons? R'hllor? Who knows? But there clearly is real power that Mel can use.

^^^ yeh but how does mel know shes seeing the visions of R'hllor? Remember the face in the flames that varys saw.... A necro mancer and a voice in the flames? id say thats great other turf apart from the fire?

Prophesy is uncertain .. that is what the story hints to . . . as for Show Mel

1. She had the Shadow Baby

2. The Lord of Light led her to Gendry, without GPS

3. She saved Davos by reading The Flames, she was right about the Great Other/Night's King marching on The Wall

4. She was wrong about Stannis being Azor Ahai and she was wrong about burning Shireen

5. She didn't see Stannis having the calamities he had once he left The Wall

6. She abandoned Stannis when he needed her the most . ..

Mel = Rasputin and Stannis = Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, Selyse = The Tsarina, Shireen = Their Children, Alexi, Anastasia and the other 3 no one cares about.

Prophesy is uncertain .. that is what the story hints to . . . as for Show Mel

1. She had the Shadow Baby

2. The Lord of Light led her to Gendry, without GPS

3. She saved Davos by reading The Flames, she was right about the Great Other/Night's King marching on The Wall

4. She was wrong about Stannis being Azor Ahai and she was wrong about burning Shireen

5. She didn't see Stannis having the calamities he had once he left The Wall

6. She abandoned Stannis when he needed her the most . ..

Mel = Rasputin and Stannis = Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, Selyse = The Tsarina, Shireen = Their Children, Alexi, Anastasia and the other 3 no one cares about.

Just thought about this,how come stannis didnt sacrifice his 3 stillborn sons? in the show we saw they were fetus's (feti?) he could have used them before shireen as they would contain kings blood and preserved in those jars.

Also i think gendry could fit the anastasia role as hes the actual heir to house baratheon and is missing? (So far)

^^^ yeh but how does mel know shes seeing the visions of R'hllor? Remember the face in the flames that varys saw.... A necro mancer and a voice in the flames? id say thats great other turf apart from the fire?

She doesn't. No one does. She and Moqorro are convinced that it is R'hllor. Stannis simply sees 'power' and doesn't care if it is from the divine or sorcery. The alchemists claim that dragons are the great influence on the potency of magic. Mel also claims that being near The Wall enhances her magic.

The story is the Song of ICE and Fire. Before Dany's dragons hatched the Starks found the direwolves. And the Game of Thrones prologue had The Others scouting out Wildling villages and even laying a trap for a Night's Watch party. So the 'rebirth' of magic in the series was before dragons came about. And if Varys is telling the truth about the ritual he was involved in....then there was magic in flames decades before The Others and Dragons started showing up.

She doesn't. No one does. She and Moqorro are convinced that it is R'hllor. Stannis simply sees 'power' and doesn't care if it is from the divine or sorcery. The alchemists claim that dragons are the great influence on the potency of magic. Mel also claims that being near The Wall enhances her magic.

The story is the Song of ICE and Fire. Before Dany's dragons hatched the Starks found the direwolves. And the Game of Thrones prologue had The Others scouting out Wildling villages and even laying a trap for a Night's Watch party. So the 'rebirth' of magic in the series was before dragons came about. And if Varys is telling the truth about the ritual he was involved in....then there was magic in flames decades before The Others and Dragons started showing up.

Ive got to agree with the varys part it puts a whole doubt to magi being awoken by dany/dragons ect plus the children of the forest/skinchangers/ house of the undying and faceless have been around before and since.

Because sacrificing fetus' wouldn't make Stannis look deserving of his death. D&D actually wanted us to be rooting for the Boltons. God knows why.

Perhaps the blood for a blood sacrifice has to be flowing. Stillborns in formaldehyde don't really cover this.

But, then if we go back to Dany, the stillborn Rhaego was not a valid sacrifice for the dragons, though it may have been enough to extend Drogo's life via the horses blood. However, there is still only MMD and Drogo's blood taken by Dany for 3 dragon hatch lings - unless, of course, Dany also dies in the fire and is among the reborn undead.

It's not just the show - the magic on the books doesn't make total logistical sense either - there are random elements, that don't cater for any universal 1 to 1 mapping of cause and effect. Whether you think this is a good or bad thing is up to your own interpretation - but it does allow the in universe magic to be whatever it wants to be, as the plot requires, without being governed by any hard and fast rules.

TLDR - both GRRM & D&D are making this up as they go along.

Nah, her whole body is a burn scar from neck to toe, just like Melissan from Baldur's Gate II, which I suspect GRRM took inspiration from...

An interesting thing that this ties into - I read a fan article/post on GRRM that suggested fame ruined ASoIaF because he stopped having time to be a DM with his RPG friends and thus run out of imaginative inspiration and fresh ideas. I'm not sure, I don't know how big a role RPGing played in his life before the celebrity of GoTs, though the idea made some sense.

Also, if that RPG character is the inspiration, then Mel would look something like this under her glamor

http://stuffo.hswstatic.com/stufftoblowyourmind/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2014/08/burning1.jpg

In any case, she is not pretty and is in league with a pretty nefarious deity, or otherworldly power.

when she picked up gendry's/edric storm's blood she should have whispered the deaths of joffrey tommen and myrcella (not robb and balon), plus the same shadow baby for renly and that's it...Stannis automatically world champion of Westeros Shireen bethroted to Rickon to keep the North submitted friendly and then all together against balon..but noo she asked for robb and balon...

Again with the leeches...

EVERYBODY could predict that someone else will die "I don't know when, I don't know how, but they will".

Add that she was predicting the death of candidates to king in a feudal war, in which her target audience was a candidate too, intending to battle them all into submission.

There are two chances: Stannis is the first to die, in which case there is no risk in promising him the death of the others.

OR, Stannis is not the first one to die, in which case she has "proven" her power.

If more than one of her "targets" dies before Stannis does, bonus points.

Do you really believe that a women giving birth to shadow demons and burning people alive because of their faith could really be the herald of a benevolent if omnipotent god?

Archived