I think I know where the show is trying to go with stannis

Stag_legion

Dumb & Dumber didn't show Stannis's death just so they could mess with his fans for another 10 months.

Even in death they are pissing on his character and torturing his fans.

No, we should know in 2 months when they start filming for season 6 whether who really died and who survived (reborn) I doubt they could keep it secret.

In any case, put me in with those believe Stannis is alive along with Cat(Lady Stoneheart). I just don't think these 2 characters would be killed off in both the tv show and the book without them knowing the truth about Jon's parent.

This is the scenario that I've come up with how Stannis and LSH will appear in the next season.

-Stannis isn't killed, instead made prisoner by Brienne.

-Brienne decides to put Stannis in trial for the death of Renly and treason and to have her name cleared.

-While on the way to King's Landing, Brienne, Stannis and Pod is capture by Brothers Without Banners.

-LSH makes her appearance. She frees Stannis, because she harbors no ill toward him personally. Brienne and Pod on the other hand is to be executed. But like in the book Brienne is given reprieve in return for Jamie's capture.

Could this be a possibility:

"Mercy"

Brienne takes Stannis to the Wall to take the black.

Once at the Wall, Stannis, having realised he is not AAR, voluntarily offers himself as a fire sacrifice to resurrect the true AAR (Jon). He gets his final "redeeming" act, as a man who will do literally anything as long as it's the duty he owes to the realm. This will coincide with what he tells Davos about him turning to ashes. He instructs Davos to find and legitimise Gendry, so house Baratheon may live on.

:idea:

ETA: (Or alternatively Brienne takes Stannis to Winterfell to negiotiate with the Boltons for Sansa. Gets flayed instead, Ramsey puts Stannis in a cage outside for everyone to see, wearing Brienne's skin as a cloak.)

ok.. I need some sleep :frown5:

^ Brienne wouldn't show her face to Ramsey considering her ill treatment "that one time", although she could attempt to negotiate with Roose. But I see this as a wasted scenerio, it'd piss off everybody if she desired to see Sansa, only to hear that she's gone, and her desire gets used up and becomes a captive to make Ramsay happy.

I like the idea of her running into Sansa on the way to the Wall, and also seeing Mel and Davos (that is, if Jon's body is taken to WF on the presumption the Witch isn't clued on what to do with Jon).

Based on where the book is going I don't think Stannis survived. However, I believe his death will occur later in the book as opposed to where it did in the show. If Stannis was going to be, at least in part, part of the force that retakes Winterfell in the books and D&D decided to go with a smaller overthrow of Winterfell. Then this would give them a chance to end the Stannis storyline and perhaps give Brienne something to do while she is waiting on whatever she is ultimately destined to do.

Ultimately somewhere down the road, Stannis has to be removed as an obstacle to the Iron Throne. Either through death or through the Black.

Brienne was expecting a mustache twirling villain who relishes in murdering Renly. She found a broken beaten man who's final words reminded her of her duty, her more pressing duty, Sansa. I could see whatever she has planned not happening because they'll run into Sansa and Theon. Stannis takes the black to atone for his sins after killing Mel for what he did under her influence. He leads the fight against the White Walkers and probably dies. He orders Davos to aide Sansa in reclaiming the North which could lead to him or Brienne going off to find Rickon.

Stannis gets burned by Mel in the last episode of season 6, and the last scene will be Mel stood before Jon Snow who is frozen in a block of ice like Han Solo in carbonite. But the ice is melting. Mel will say "you know nothing Jon Snow" and Jon opens his eyes.

Stannis gets burned by Mel in the last episode of season 6, and the last scene will be Mel stood before Jon Snow who is frozen in a block of ice like Han Solo in carbonite. But the ice is melting. Mel will say "you know nothing Jon Snow" and Jon opens his eyes.

Then he looks at her and asks.............."Where do whores go?"

In an interview about the finale, Gwendoline Christie said that there are still are Baratheon troops in the North, the ones that deserted him, and said (most likely jokingly) that Brienne could command them.

Could this also be a reason for Brie to spare Stannis? You think they could still follow him? But how does she even know this? Just the fact that Christie mentioned this made me wonder.

I think Stannis is alive. It's a Jaime/Catelyn situation again.

I think Stannis is alive. It's a Jaime/Catelyn situation again.

It's a very different situation. We never saw Cat swinging to sword towards Jaime, therefore we didn't really know what she was going to do (and killing Jaime would've been just stupid, since he was about to be killed by the Karstarks anyway). More importantly, that wasn't a season finale. Very wisely, the show avoided the artificial cliffhanger from the books, and showed Jaime alive in the very next episode.

Regarding Stannis, we actually saw Brienne swinging the sword; therefore, if Stannis lived, I will consider that moment to be a forced way to create a stupid cliffhanger (if Brienne was going to spare Stannis, she just wouldn't swing the sword towards him and hit the tree for whatever reason). And it was a season finale.

And what's left for Stannis? His storyline ended in a very tragic but satisfactory way. Stannis was never a protagonist, he was never going to be important in the endgame, and he was always going to die. We are 20 fucking episodes from finishing this story! It's high time important characters start to die! (George, do the same with the books, you have more characters than the show and you're killing far less of them).

Could this also be a reason for Brie to spare Stannis? You think they could still follow him? But how does she even know this? Just the fact that Christie mentioned this made me wonder.

If he is alive still (which I doubt) I don't think it's because Brienne decided to spare him. I think it's because Pod stepped in.

The show made a point of having us see Pod picking up a big axe before the battle takes place, yet we don't see him on camera at all when Brienne finds and confronts Stannis. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that in episode 1 of season 6, we could see Pod blocking Brienne's strike and suggesting that Stannis could be of some use to them alive in their quest to save Sansa. This could then follow on to some redemption storyline where Stannis does his part to help save someone elses daughter out of the guilt he feels for executing his own.

The other possibility is that Pod stops Brienne simply because he sees Sansa and Reek in the distance.

Archived