The Hound.... Love him or hate him?

Lady Snow88

11 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I have tried, time and time again to emphasise that the world that Martin is showing us is not our own, with our own code of morals and in the 21st century; this is a fantasy based some place and time else.   Now, to me, to fancy is not to "sin" in any event.  If you fancy an underage person and take action, then that is a crime (in our society at least), if you do not act upon it: it is not!  Sandor certainly never acted upon anything of the kind on the books so far... Okay, you called it "unhealthy" not "illegal", granted but how about a 12 year old girl rooting for one of her teachers, hell I've done It! (the rooting, not the action lol), this is human hormons and I think George does a great job with them.  Also, let's take into account what was "normal" or "customary" at the setting of the story.  I was married to an archaologist academic and trust me that is one of the first things I learnt from him when judging historial fic lol; okay this is a fantasy but one with a very feudal feeling... a place where most (if not all) of us would have had different aims and ambitions and morals than those we hold today in our own historical and personal setting...  The characters and their motivations in the books and show have to reflect the author's wolrd, not our own, or else the books/show are flawed.  Elsewise, how could an author ever show us their world if he/she had to adhere to our today's values in the characterisation???

I said 'falling for', not 'rooting for' ;)

Also, despite the different culture, Martin makes clear (at least in Sansa's case, not so much in Daenerys') that her 12 is mentally and physically not that far from today's 12. For example, Tyrion recognizes she is a child on their wedding night, even though by the law and tradition she was in a perfectly marriagable age (ofc, I'm not too hot on Tyrion desiring her, either). So for me as a modern reader Sansa's age makes some of stuff involving her squicky, and when I 'ship' I always use the phrase 'when she gets older!' in my head ;)

3 hours ago, Tianzi said:

I said 'falling for', not 'rooting for' ;)

Also, despite the different culture, Martin makes clear (at least in Sansa's case, not so much in Daenerys') that her 12 is mentally and physically not that far from today's 12. For example, Tyrion recognizes she is a child on their wedding night, even though by the law and tradition she was in a perfectly marriagable age (ofc, I'm not too hot on Tyrion desiring her, either). So for me as a modern reader Sansa's age makes some of stuff involving her squicky, and when I 'ship' I always use the phrase 'when she gets older!' in my head ;)

Fair enough, sorry if I misquoted you.  I guess is a peeve of mine that it is very easy to see stories through our own culture's eyes.  I guess with Sansa yes, according to Tyrion she is too young hence he won't take it further, but as you said probably most people in his culture wouldn't have given that much of a thought; it is quite possible (although we don't get to see Sandor's point of view) that he thought on the same lines as Tyrion but still I find that attraction in itself well is a kind of involuntary reaction, the important part to me is whether or not the person acts upon it I guess and okay, I would be willing to be a bit more forgiving if a certain conduct was seen as acceptable in the setting, just as okay I am against capital punishment myself but didn't find it odd or wrong when Eddard beheaded the deserter for instance and okay, granted, I have a certain obsession with keeping stories in their historical/fantasy setting even if that makes some values colide with our own.  Sorry if I sounded a little harsh by the way, didn't mean to come across that way.

• 2 months later...

The Hound is interesting in that when we're first introduced to him in GoT he seems kind of one-dimensional "hired muscle" kind of guy. By this book, we're starting to see him fleshed out, his emotions, and what motivates him. Basically, he's a monster that's being turned human, and it's a great plot thread to follow along with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2016 at 6:27 AM, Springwatch said:

I don't think Sandor felt any physical attraction to Sansa - he had endless opportunities to grope her or make her emotionally dependent on him, but he never did. In fact in most of their scenes he's either trying to frighten her away or get her covered up more.

I think he loves her because she reminds him of his lost sister, because of Lady (he loves dogs), because they both have to deal with Joffrey,  & because she got very close to assassinating Joffrey which is a big deal for an elite bodyguard.

Later on, things begin to change maybe. 

Umm, Hound's lost sister??? What are you referring to?  Did he ever met Lady, the Direwolf?

I like Hound, he actually reminds me of comic book Wolverine. That guy also protected and had a soft spot, platonically, little girls.

What I can't bring myself to do is understand people who ship him and Sansa especially in the books, its too pedo for me. 

I didn't care much about the guy until later (say...ASOS). But before that I must admit I thought there was something going on between him and Sansa (I mean, Sansa also thought of him quite a lot, comparing him to other guys and so forth, but maybe that's just a hormone thing). And also pedophilic relationship wasn't something new or cunning in Westeros anyway (say...Walder Frey, Jorah Mormont), so why not? 

Anyway, as story went I just began to realize how the relationship was rather just platonic, And the Hound was indeed way more than met the eyes. He did grow on me, eventually. 

On 02/08/2016 at 9:46 PM, Masha said:

Umm, Hound's lost sister??? What are you referring to?  Did he ever met Lady, the Direwolf?

I like Hound, he actually reminds me of comic book Wolverine. That guy also protected and had a soft spot, platonically, little girls.

What I can't bring myself to do is understand people who ship him and Sansa especially in the books, its too pedo for me. 

It's in the wiki (from Ned's thoughts I think) - Sandor had a sister who died in mysterious circumstances. And a father who died in an accident. Which all makes sense given what we know about Gregor's character. (I'm liking the Lady idea though! They did meet - Sansa was a little frightened of him, and Lady gave a bit of a growl to put him in his place.)

I prefer the platonic side of the Sansa / Sandor relationship, because I can't forget she's still very young. But it's given as a fact in the books that Sansa suddenly develops this sexy body. I like Sandor better for treating her respectfully when other men are openly lusting after her (Littlefinger, Dontos, Tyrion, stableboys, soldiers in distant villages). (The Blackwater scene is carefully written to be ambiguous, so I won't rake it up again.)

Archived