The Hound.... Love him or hate him?

Lady Snow88

Ok so I got to ask... What is everyones opinion on The Hound?

Personally I LOVE him... In the first book I was not a fan but by this book i was a huge fan of the way he went about things and the more i read and saw of him the more i liked him so how does everyone else feel about him?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got to ask... What is everyones opinion on The Hound?

Personally I LOVE him... In the first book I was not a fan but by this book i was a huge fan of the way he went about things and the more i read and saw of him the more i liked him so how does everyone else feel about him?

Ditto. I loved him here, and felt really sad when he was so grievously wounded due to the wildfire. I think he provides the naive Sansa with a very realistic perspective of the world they're living in.. And I must say, out of all the characters, his is the perspective is the least hypocritical, my favourite one so far. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

The Hound's back story is very tragic and that does bring me (and Sansa) to sympathize with him, but regardless, I think Sansa was still terrified of him. Maybe he is loyal and sometimes kind to Sansa (like saving her at the Riot of King's Landing), but I think he is very poor in his execution. When Sansa found the Hound in her room during the Battle of the Blackwater, the Hound holds a knife to Sansa's throat and forces her to sing. That would be terrifying to anyone, let alone a 12ish year old girl. 

The Hound may have a good heart, but his actions towards Sansa and Sansa's thoughts when she's around him don't allow me to be a big fan of the Hound.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm slowly appreciating his character. When he appears in the book (this one in particular) I'm not filled with dread, anger, or disdain. His actions were a bit perplexing at first; night and day with what you expect from him. Now he's enthralled me, and I've come to regard him as a complex character that makes him hard to love and almost impossible to hate.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hound is easily in my top five favourites.  Saw season one before reading the books, and the story about his face...just heartbreaking!  And it's so much better in the books when he tells the story directly to Sansa.  Definitely a very interesting twist on a Beast character.

In ACoK, the way he protects Sansa over and over is so subtle because she doesn't really see it that way, but if there were POV chapter for him, I think the reader would get to see what one of those "true knights" is really like, as that's what Sandor strives to be, even without the proper title of knighthood. 

My favorite character is Sandor, the way he is written is very intriguing. He says one thing (basically growls) but his actions say another. I can't remember verbatim the line from the book but something like "being strong and steel is the way through life, if you are weak, die and get out of the way." And this is just after he saved Sansa at the bread riots....where he acted-dare I say-gallantly!

He has done some terrible acts in the service of the Lannisters but then he also does some noteworthy acts as himself, Sandor. If only he had a POV chapter....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He has been a minion against better knowledge, has allowed others to make use of his cruelty,  has been a coward who did not stand up against his employer, killed a child and probably many more because he was ordered to, stood by when Sansa was tortured. He despised the handicapped and weak, wanted them to step aside and die to make room for those who can defend themselves, supremacist ideology.

It needed a little girl, Arya, and being attracted to another girl, Sansa, to make him see how wrong he was.

But he saw and that lifts him above the Meryn Trants and Ramsays. And in his disturbed, tortured way the Sandor character  is really interesting, really well written by Martin. Though as person I would not want to be close to him and he is as erotic as a pile of wet stinking socks in my bed.

• 2 weeks later...

I, for one, adore the Hound. He is so inherently flawed, which makes him all the more real. His character is profoundly honest, and despite many actions on his part that were low, to say the least...I find him to be quite like-able. That might just be me, though.

Archived