Ronald Reagen= Best President?

Seaworth'sShipmate

I have no trouble believing in how much Reagan loved rich white Christian man America. The rest of America, I'm not so sure.

I don't care what he loved, but I know he didn't say a damn word about AIDS until more than 20,000 people had already died of it. Contrast that to the shit Obama took for not freaking out about Ebola, which killed, like, three Americans. But as long as the disease only killed gay people, why should he worry?

Edited to add: It's funny to see the way opinions have fallen out in this thread. Reagan ended the Cold War "without firing a shot", except for those people we didn't care about who got shot. (DG has a personal testimony about this upthread.) He loved his country, except for those people we didn't care about who were dying in droves. So if one adopts the view of a person of privilege, the Reagan years were great!

Let me interrupt this discussion by offering some choice Ronald Reagan anagrams, from the politically apropos:

Impressive effort, but you forgot the fact that his full name is Ronald Wilson Reagan, which anagrams to (wait for it):

A DRONE WAR'S GONNA ILL

The man was a visionary before and after his time.

Impressive effort, but you forgot the fact that his full name is Ronald Wilson Reagan, which anagrams to (wait for it):

A DRONE WAR'S GONNA ILL

The man was a visionary before and after his time.

Don't forget, each of his names has 6 letters.

That was a belief that was strong in the 'hood for a minute in the 80s.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.

--> cheap attempt to get into history books

Iran-Contra: out of many bizarre CIA operations this one still takes the cake.

From what I read Carter was actually a much better president than given credit for albeit really unlucky. East Timor seems to be Kissinger's brain child.

Btw wasnt Reagan responsible to prolongue the Iran hostage crisis in order to gain advantage over Carter in the election campaign?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.

--> cheap attempt to get into history books

Iran-Contra: out of many bizarre CIA operations this one still takes the cake.

From what I read Carter was actually a much better president than given credit for albeit really unlucky. East Timor seems to be Kissinger's brain child.

Btw wasnt Reagan responsible to prolongue the Iran hostage crisis in order to gain advantage over Carter in the election campaign?

A charge levied but afaik never proven in any way.

Not like Nixon with Vietnam.

More on the IMF's amazing new report on tickle-down here. It points out that the very phrase actually started as a Will Rogers joke.

Yeah, the Iran-Contra thing is incredible. Can one imagine if something similar had happened under a Democrat? Benghazi times 1,000 as if such a thing is possible.

Edited to add: It's funny to see the way opinions have fallen out in this thread. Reagan ended the Cold War "without firing a shot", except for those people we didn't care about who got shot. (DG has a personal testimony about this upthread.) He loved his country, except for those people we didn't care about who were dying in droves. So if one adopts the view of a person of privilege, the Reagan years were great!

Reagan had the genius to outsource his war crimes to the Third World. It takes an especially cynical shitheel warmonger to profit off both sides of the abominable Iran-Iraq war. Really, he set the pattern for the plutocrats that his tax policies so vastly enriched.

And yes -- Iran Contra. I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation from anyone why it was cool for Reagan to sell them weapons while Obama can't even negotiate a fucking nuclear containment deal with them. Is the difference simply that the Israelis were in on it last time?

Reagan had the genius to outsource his war crimes to the Third World. It takes an especially cynical shitheel warmonger to profit off both sides of the abominable Iran-Iraq war. Really, he set the pattern for the plutocrats that his tax policies so vastly enriched.

And yes -- Iran Contra. I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation from anyone why it was cool for Reagan to sell them weapons while Obama can't even negotiate a fucking nuclear containment deal with them. Is the difference simply that the Israelis were in on it last time?

The difference is one is Reagan, a god of his own time, and the other is Obama, the devil incarnate.

The difference is one is Reagan, a god of his own time,

Only retrospectively. His current fanbase would abhor the tax increases, negotiating with terrorists, negotiating with the Soviets, bailing out (and expanding) Social Security, increasing the number of Federal Government employees...

Actual Reagan (as opposed to his mythological counterpart) wouldn't have a hope of winning the nomination of the current Republican Party.

Best president... James K. Polk. Almost all of the promises he made prior to taking office he actually kept, even if one of those promises involved war against Mexico based on false pretenses and the "purchase" of most of northern Mexico. It's not like that ever came back to bite the United States in the butt... right?

Reagan would have been a way more tolerable president had he Gerald Ford's propensity for falling down in the most theatrical way possible.

Yeah, let's not even pretend Reagan wasn't thee architect of so many problems we face today and the one who made it acceptable to want to shrink an burn the government so you make it incapable of helping people. Given Reagan increased military spending while slashing and burning every program designed to help the poor he could get his hands on.

And the shit he pulled in Neshoba county revokes the "I'm not a racist" credential.

Oddly the four ex-presidents masks used in Point Break were Reagan, Carter, Nixon, and LBJ. The first three were alive in 1991, but LBJ died in 1973. I mean, if you're trying to convince people that the ex-Presidents are the ones actually robbing the banks, you lose some versimilatude when you pick a dead guy. Where there no Ford masks available?

Oddly the four ex-presidents masks used in Point Break were Reagan, Carter, Nixon, and LBJ. The first three were alive in 1991, but LBJ died in 1973. I mean, if you're trying to convince people that the ex-Presidents are the ones actually robbing the banks, you lose some versimilatude when you pick a dead guy. Where there no Ford masks available?

Zombie!LBJ is a more believable bank robber than Gerald Ford (who I'd rather visualise as getting stuck in the revolving doors). Plus it balances out Democrats and Republicans.

Cause Jelly Bellys and reasons.

Because to put any more thought into such a topic, beyond the mind-boggling inanity of "well at least he was an old-fashioned American" (like we know what the fuck that's supposed to mean, or have any idea why that's a virtue) would be to break the performance that Lord Arryn is putting on.

Fuck Reagan.

Reagan was the first president that decided inequity should be pursued and that everyone should want inequity. That continues to this day, and is making the US worse and worse every single day.

Reagan was the president that decided to make a war on black people as his strategy for winning back the southern votes. America is now, per capita, the country with the most prisoners in the world and is effectively a prison state. Police powers and abuse has increased tremendously in the name of this war, and it all comes to him.

Reagan was the first to demonize the poor. A tactic that is resulting in shaming those who are on food stamps, drug testing poor people and absurd restrictions on what to buy.

Reagan was the first to deficit spend like there was no tomorrow. Because fuck future generations, that's why.

And either he was too incompetent to know about selling drugs for guns for terrorists, or he knew. Take your pick. Either sucks.

He's probably the best Republican president that has happened in the last 50 years, and he's a fucking travesty in the guise of a doddering idiot.

To be fair, Kal, demonizing the poor is an age-old tradition. Have you never heard of the "deserving" and "undeserving" poor? Certainly though Reagan demonized the poor.

The rest of what you said I agree, fuck Reagan.

Archived