[Spoilers]The fate of Stannis

So, Stannis fans are pissed off, to say the least, after S05E10. Rest assured, he's alive. All comments from D&D so far have been extremely ambiguous (regarding his demise). Here's why I'm certain he's not dead:

1. He's alive and well in the books. Granted the show takes some liberties with the storyline, but the Stannis plotline is far too important to just end with a cut to another scene...

2. The insta-cut. All major characters had onscreen deaths, no matter how gruesome (Oberyn...never forget...), ending the life of a KING with a cut is not only a terrible directing choice, it's illogical from a marketing perspective. Remember, no body means ALIVE.

3. The look on Brienne's face. Notice how she cringes when he says:"Go on, do your duty". This is purely hypothetical, but maybe she remembered her duty to Sansa and how she abandoned her to pursue revenge. Plus, Brienne's too honourable to kill a wounded man.

4. The fact that Davos is still alive. Davos made his life's goal to see Stannis on the iron throne. I doubt D&D would just end the plotline of a POW character by just having him go on some stupid sidequest like Bran. Nobody cares about Bran and nobody would care about Davos if he wasn't by Stannis' side. But we know that won't happen.

5. The fact that he just barely escaped death during Blackwater bay. They wouldn't just kill him three seasons after "yay, I survived".

6. Melisandre's predictions just shrivel up. Think about it. If Stannis isn't Azor Ahai, then who is? Jon's dead, Daenerys would be a too cliche and obvious twist...It has to be Stannis.

7. The fact that Dillane still has a contract with HBO...Subtle clue...

So, Stannis fans are pissed off, to say the least, after S05E10. Rest assured, he's alive. All comments from D&D so far have been extremely ambiguous (regarding his demise). Here's why I'm certain he's not dead:

1. He's alive and well in the books. Granted the show takes some liberties with the storyline, but the Stannis plotline is far too important to just end with a cut to another scene...

2. The insta-cut. All major characters had onscreen deaths, no matter how gruesome (Oberyn...never forget...), ending the life of a KING with a cut is not only a terrible directing choice, it's illogical from a marketing perspective. Remember, no body means ALIVE.

3. The look on Brienne's face. Notice how she cringes when he says:"Go on, do your duty". This is purely hypothetical, but maybe she remembered her duty to Sansa and how she abandoned her to pursue revenge. Plus, Brienne's too honourable to kill a wounded man.

4. The fact that Davos is still alive. Davos made his life's goal to see Stannis on the iron throne. I doubt D&D would just end the plotline of a POW character by just having him go on some stupid sidequest like Bran. Nobody cares about Bran and nobody would care about Davos if he wasn't by Stannis' side. But we know that won't happen.

5. The fact that he just barely escaped death during Blackwater bay. They wouldn't just kill him three seasons after "yay, I survived".

6. Melisandre's predictions just shrivel up. Think about it. If Stannis isn't Azor Ahai, then who is? Jon's dead, Daenerys would be a too cliche and obvious twist...It has to be Stannis.

7. The fact that Dillane still has a contract with HBO...Subtle clue...

Jon will not stay dead.

Q.There’s also speculation about whether Stannis is truly dead. We didn’t see Brienne deliver that final, fatal blow.

A.I think that was basically in the script. Dan and David felt it best not to be gratuitous with that. You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne’s life-long mission had come to an end. It’s a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die. It would have been gratuitous.

The words of David Nutter.

Stannis has passed on! He is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If it hadn't been for Brienne he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-MANNIS

This sort of thing happens on GoT all the time and we always see that the character is dead eventually. (Ned Stark, Syrio Forrel, Benjen, etc. etc.)

I think Stannis is done for good. Let us look at each point

1. He's alive and well in the books.

Yes and he might live long in book. We already know that GoT has diverged from books pretty much a lot. I dont think we can rely on GoT to be any rely on book much now.

2. The insta-cut.

The cut is well explained by the director and choice. If it was a battle it was worth and glorious showing a gruesome death. This was execution of one of the finest actor who we all saw as a King. Gruesome death would have been injustice to him. There are many people who were killed without a gruesome murder. (Ned Stark, Benjen, Syrio, etc.)

3. The look on Brienne's face.

I have to give you this one. She is not going to kill is precisely what I thought of it when I looked at her face. But David explains this in his talk that while Brienne expected a monster what she was merely a man. That is what surprises her.

4. The fact that Davos is still alive.

I wont read too much into this. Davos had a different purpose in books while Stannis marched to winterfell. Bran is a not a sidequest. Bran is the most important character in final parts.

Protecting the wall and Mance Rayder's defeat, Robb, Baleon's death through blood magic etc. Even in his death Stannis has inadvertently helped the plot-line significantly by giving opportunity to Sansa to escape, bringing Mel and Davos to North. His ships are currently with Jon, half of his soldiers are still in north.

6. Who is Azor Ahai

I think the "sword in the darkness" is the Azor Ahai. Azor Ahai is merely a metaphor for night's watch.

7. The fact that Dillane still has a contract with HBO.

I give you this one.

As much as i would love watching Dillane masterfully play Stannis despite the writting... i can´t bare more manure dumping on one of my favourite book creations

Fans who love great characters and great acting are going to miss him, they don´t know it yet, but just wait for it...

This sort of thing happens on GoT all the time and we always see that the character is dead eventually. (Ned Stark, Syrio Forrel, Benjen, etc. etc.)

? Ned's head was chopped on screen and where did you get that Benjen is dead? Or syrio for that matter?

Why do you say Dillane is still under contract?

IICR, Richard Madden was still under contract after Season 3. They are somehow still obligated to give a few promotions things or who knows what. That's not Dillane's case, as he's not very involved with GoT but he might have required a contract for certain things in case he's needed.

Of course he's alive, duh.

The show that's famous for being gratuitous suddenly thinks its too gratuitous to kill a man they intentionally demonized an episode ago on screen. give me a break. They are going to deny it as much as they can so that it will be another shock moment when he's revealed to be alive.

If Dillane was gone, he would definitely have given an interview for his exit.

Of course he's alive, duh.

The show that's famous for being gratuitous suddenly thinks its too gratuitous to kill a man they intentionally demonized an episode ago on screen. give me a break. They are going to deny it as much as they can so that it will be another shock moment when he's reveal to be alive.

If Dillane was gone, he would definitely have given an interview for his exit.

for what reason would they keep him alive?

the audience hates him. people were rooting for ramsay bolton against him. and they don't hate him in an entertaining way like they hated joff, but they hate him in an 'ugh' killed his daughter way.

what utility can he bring to the plot? he has no army, supporters, money?

the audience hates him. people were rooting for ramsay bolton against him.

Eh you would be surprised on twitter after he died alot of people were tweeting disapproval because it was done in such eye rolling manner that even unsullied saw through the charade

the audience hates him. people were rooting for ramsay bolton against him. and they don't hate him in an entertaining way like they hated joff, but they hate him in an 'ugh' killed his daughter way.

what utility can he bring to the plot? he has no army, supporters, money?

They will keep him alive because the story requires it and because they can do a redemption arc with him.

There are multiple ways in which he can get an army again, 1)his deserting men can be rallied again 2) He can join a northern rebellion (which makes sense to do in S6 because of casting issues) 3) He can join little finger and army from the vale.

One thing we know for sure if that one way or another the boltons will be defeated soon. And stannis will be a part of that.

They needed him to fail this season as punishment for shireen burning and following melisandre, after he's been humbled they can give him his victory next season.

Archived