[Spoilers]The fate of Stannis

I'm late to this party but I believe show-Stannis to be alive for the following:

• First of all, LOL if you think the showrunners are ever telling the truth. They can't even concede for sure if we will ever see Lady Stoneheart or not.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if all characters from the finale survived (including Myrcella). We know Jon is coming back
  • Brienne killing Stannis does not fit her story arc for the season. Everything she's done was to save Sansa. Her payoff of avenging Renly and giving up doesn't fit.
  • If Brienne kills Stannis, who would believe her when she says Renly was killed by a shadow thingy?
  • Stannis clearly says "Do your duty". If you think that was by accident, I don't know what to tell you
  • Stannis was sitting on a tree. The way she was swinging was clearly meant to sever. If she was aiming for his head, it wouldn't cut cleanly. Part of the blade would have lodged into the wood. 
  • If she really meant to chop off his head, she would have stooped him over and angled the body for a clean cut
  • It's speculated that she was aiming for Stannis leg. He was walking awkardly and Brienne knows how to deal with people who get their legs/hands cut off.

All characters living. Myranda tossed to the ground from that height, Myrcella died thanks to poison unless someone had a specific antidote which I found highligy unlikely.Good luck with that. Selyse hang herself. You're reaching on this a bit.

It does fit. The irony is that she gave up one vow for another. She kept talking about avenging Renly and kill Stannis and n the nd not to kill him? Strange I must say.

It doesn't even matter.

Ÿes, do your duty. She did that.

She was clearly aiming for his head. 

What would be his purpose? LC. NW is done at this point. Joining Team Jon Snow...hardly after what he did and he would never do that. He has his pride. Going back to Dragonstone without any army. Who would support him? What about loan from Iron Bank. Sorry, but can't see why would they keep him alive.

All characters living. Myranda tossed to the ground from that height, Myrcella died thanks to poison unless someone had a specific antidote which I found highligy unlikely.Good luck with that. Selyse hang herself. You're reaching on this a bit.

I thought it was pretty clearly in reference to major cliffhanger characters (Jon, Stannis, Myrcella) that they cut away from. I agree that Myrcella is the least likely. Or perhaps mentioning Selyse was meant to troll?

It does fit. The irony is that she gave up one vow for another. She kept talking about avenging Renly and kill Stannis and n the nd not to kill him? Strange I must say.

Irony is the payoff now? That's generally not how story telling works when going through a story arc.

It doesn't even matter.

I can see how it may not matter to someone when trying to build a narrative but think of this through Brienne's eyes. When meeting Sansa and Littlefinger, Brienne tried telling them what happened to Renly and they pretty much rolled their eyes to her-even Sansa was like wut?

Ÿes, do your duty. She did that.

Her duty has been to Cat to save Sansa. It's always been to Cat especially when Jaime gave her his sword.

She was clearly aiming for his head. 

The angle was meant to be ambiguous, and I explained my reasoning why the angle would be problematic when trying to kill him.

What would be his purpose? 

I see his remaining purpose as being twofold:

•  Help Brienne save Sansa
  • Redemption arc after burning Shireen. 

Some acts are not redeemable, but we can still see him go through a change. Perhaps seeing how he was being manipulated from day one by Melisandre.

Talltale, I thought the same way until recently. I was sure stannis was alive based on how the scene was done and even based on how the inside the episode was. But no one's seen Stannis' actor on set and GRRM said he was dead on the show.

So either stannis is dead on the show or he must have very little screen time next season. I m thinking the former is more likely at this point.

I thought it was pretty clearly in reference to major cliffhanger characters (Jon, Stannis, Myrcella) that they cut away from. I agree that Myrcella is the least likely. Or perhaps mentioning Selyse was meant to troll?

Irony is the payoff now? That's generally not how story telling works when going through a story arc.

I can see how it may not matter to someone when trying to build a narrative but think of this through Brienne's eyes. When meeting Sansa and Littlefinger, Brienne tried telling them what happened to Renly and they pretty much rolled their eyes to her-even Sansa was like wut?

Her duty has been to Cat to save Sansa. It's always been to Cat especially when Jaime gave her his sword.

The angle was meant to be ambiguous, and I explained my reasoning why the angle would be problematic when trying to kill him.

I see his remaining purpose as being twofold:

•  Help Brienne save Sansa
  • Redemption arc after burning Shireen. 

Some acts are not redeemable, but we can still see him go through a change. Perhaps seeing how he was being manipulated from day one by Melisandre.

We can go on and on about pros and cons of this. Simple is that no one spotted Stephane on the set in the time where everyone else was spotted even Kit with his new outfit. Someone would notice him.

As for him helping Brienne. Well, either way Sansa is about to meet LF more than likely. He and his Vale army are marching towards Winterfell and redemption arc. Some things are beyond redemption. He trusted Mel too much and he lost everything. I just can't see Stannis wanted to serve anyone. He has his pride and they need Jon is some postion of powers. You can't have it if Stannis is around or at least this is probably their logic. They gave him his arc from the books most likely or appears that way.

We can go on and on about pros and cons of this. Simple is that no one spotted Stephane on the set in the time where everyone else was spotted even Kit with his new outfit. Someone would notice him.

As for him helping Brienne. Well, either way Sansa is about to meet LF more than likely. He and his Vale army are marching towards Winterfell and redemption arc. Some things are beyond redemption. He trusted Mel too much and he lost everything. I just can't see Stannis wanted to serve anyone. He has his pride and they need Jon is some postion of powers. You can't have it if Stannis is around or at least this is probably their logic. They gave him his arc from the books most likely or appears that way.

Not seeing him on set isn't a for sure of anything. He could have had a smaller role or only in a couple episodes. They may have even filmed it since Stephane is also filming that other show.

On ‎17‎. ‎1‎. ‎2016 at 4:25 PM, tallTale said:

Not seeing him on set isn't a for sure of anything. He could have had a smaller role or only in a couple episodes. They may have even filmed it since Stephane is also filming that other show.

Even George mentioned Stephane as other actors that portrayed dead characters. George did warned us about characters that will die in the show, but will in the books. Barry, Mance, Stannis all alive so far. Smaller role? Of course anything is possible, but we have precisely no evidence of him in next season where as others have been confirmed.

Some little issues that bothered me with that scene

Prior to we see Podrick grab a wicked looking double bladed axe from a stump, why include that unless they were going to show him using it? 

Second, the angles are all wrong, she is standing to the left of Stannis, he is facing away, he has to turn his head to speak to her, the sword is over her right shoulder and she swings in a downward right to left cut, surely she would have hit tree before Stannis. I know Valyrian steel is sharp, and Brianne of Tarth is strong, but its not that sharp, and no one (besides maybe Gregor Clegane) is that strong... They really should have given Ice to Gregor btw...

So I think that she either was swinging at something else... maybe a bolton who wasn't quite dead? Kind of like how Jorah threw the spear past Dany at the Son of the Harpy.

Or

Podrick Payne did something with that axe to prevent her from killing Stannis. 

We really don't know alot about Podrick, He's from house payne, thats about it. he seems to be exactly like the character from the in universe stories, the simpleton who always manages to come out on top despite being totally inept? I forgot the name, but its an in universe folk tale. 

Stannis seems to look away for a second before saying "go on, do your duty" 

Maybe Podrick isn't who he seems after all... Could he be in the employ of Stannis? 

If i'm not mistaken he was found in the same camp as everyone's favorite whore (say that word one more time) Shae, and he somehow manages to attach himself to these very important characters, as she did with Tyrion and Tywin. 

He also manages to survive situations through sheer inept idiocy, as when his stolen horse "gets away from him" splitting up the pursuing knights of the vale, allowing Brianne to finish them off. And of course there is the battle of black water. 

The whole "Gratuitous" crap, is crap, ned got his head cut off, Oberyn got his head smashed in "LIKE THIS!" There is no reason NOT to show the death other than the fact that there is no death. 

3 hours ago, Rufiodies said:

Some little issues that bothered me with that scene

Prior to we see Podrick grab a wicked looking double bladed axe from a stump, why include that unless they were going to show him using it? 

Second, the angles are all wrong, she is standing to the left of Stannis, he is facing away, he has to turn his head to speak to her, the sword is over her right shoulder and she swings in a downward right to left cut, surely she would have hit tree before Stannis. I know Valyrian steel is sharp, and Brianne of Tarth is strong, but its not that sharp, and no one (besides maybe Gregor Clegane) is that strong... They really should have given Ice to Gregor btw...

So I think that she either was swinging at something else... maybe a bolton who wasn't quite dead? Kind of like how Jorah threw the spear past Dany at the Son of the Harpy.

Or

Podrick Payne did something with that axe to prevent her from killing Stannis. 

We really don't know alot about Podrick, He's from house payne, thats about it. he seems to be exactly like the character from the in universe stories, the simpleton who always manages to come out on top despite being totally inept? I forgot the name, but its an in universe folk tale. 

Stannis seems to look away for a second before saying "go on, do your duty" 

Maybe Podrick isn't who he seems after all... Could he be in the employ of Stannis? 

If i'm not mistaken he was found in the same camp as everyone's favorite whore (say that word one more time) Shae, and he somehow manages to attach himself to these very important characters, as she did with Tyrion and Tywin. 

He also manages to survive situations through sheer inept idiocy, as when his stolen horse "gets away from him" splitting up the pursuing knights of the vale, allowing Brianne to finish them off. And of course there is the battle of black water. 

The whole "Gratuitous" crap, is crap, ned got his head cut off, Oberyn got his head smashed in "LIKE THIS!" There is no reason NOT to show the death other than the fact that there is no death. 

I agree with the bold and its what I ve been saying for months, but considering how Dillane hasn't been seen, the producers generally dislike his character and the show generally prefers to kill off characters to reduce cast numbers and expenses, I am starting to think he might be dead, although I hope he's alive, as stannis being alive would pretty much be the sole reason I d want to watch the show again.

Archived