[Spoilers]The fate of Stannis

What would be the point of stannis living. he hasnt got an army. No descendants legitimized. It seems that the whole set up was for him to pass on. And to be quite honest he seems to have reached hos lowest point. The show would have a hard time explaining it if he is safe and sound.

The point is for him to deal with the consequences and the knowledge that all of the terrible things he's done has been for nothing. That would be way more interesting than if he was dead. It would be extremely lousy storytelling to let Stannis off the hook for burning his daughter alive by giving him a death the exact moment in time that he wants death. That way he's spared from having to think about with what he's done.

There's only a few things I can even think of that would have prevented Brienne from swinging her sword:

1. She takes pity on him, seeing that he's a broken man.

a. Takes him prisoner, possibly to try and trade to the boltons for Sansa.... (Brienne does seem dumb enough to think this would work, and it would put her in a situation where she was captured with Pod, and had to send word to Jaime... vaguely similar to the books with LSH)

b. To allow him to take the black. (The Knight's Watch is pretty screwed without Jon, and there's likely no more show PoV there.)

2. Something interrupts her

a. Ramsey/Bolton soldiers

b. Littlefinger/Vale soldiers (LF wants to use Stannis as bait to get his army inside Winterfell, under the pretense of comming to Bolton's aid)

c. *crackpot theory* Some kind of White Walker attack south of the wall/ The beginning of the "real war"/ The resurrection of all the Stannis/Bolton dead into an undead army to take Winterfell.... (This would give the overall story a massive sense of urgency.... would explain Brienne suddenly stopping mid swing, and would provide loads of show action for Brienne/Stannis (who both realize the war against the undead is more important than their issues, and need to get Stannis to the Wall/ get orders out to immediately begin mining dragonglass on dragonstone for the wall) , Sansa/Reek, Boltons vs undead army, and Jon Targaryan//Davos/Mel/Bran(via magic help) trying to get into the Winterfell Crypts....

Or 3. Brienne is actually smart and the writers are actually capable, and she realizes death is what he wants. She would be rewarding him for not killing Renly! He wants to not think about what he's done and how pointless it all was.

There's blood splattered on the tree too. He's dead. Case closed.

Could be the tree is actually a heart tree and the "blood" we're seeing on the picture is heart tree sap (which supposedly looks like blood). Or not ... :D

So nearly everyone accepts a director saying Stannis is dead when we don`t see a killing blow, but nobody accepts the finality of Jon Snow after seeing his demise. Kings and queens of wishful thinking

If there were no books and this was only a TV show, I would say without a doubt Jon is dead.

But with the books, plus GRRM's own words about Jon, it just seems so unlikely that he is going to stay dead.

What would be the point of stannis living. he hasnt got an army. No descendants legitimized. It seems that the whole set up was for him to pass on. And to be quite honest he seems to have reached hos lowest point. The show would have a hard time explaining it if he is safe and sound.

What if he took the black and became the next Lord Commander.

He would be a fitting commander of the NW.

It may be a fitting punishment for his crimes as he will have to live with them rather than just die.

The question is why would Brienne allow it.

And as other have said, Briennes duty was to protect Renly not avenge him.

Benioff, Weiss, and Nutter (The Director) say that Stannis and Jon are dead and gone. Kit and Stephen D. have moved on. The show is going completely away from The Books.

I wonder what they are going to do with Davos and Mel?

Call me a fool, but I really wont be surprised if either of them come back.

I do not trust a word they say at this point in time because they want to keep the cliffhanger.

If they really wanted stannis dead, they should have shown his head cut off just like Ned. the fact they didnt leads me to believe he may be alive.

to be fair to Weiss and Benioff they did a good episode with the finale. Myrcella is dead. Or is she? Stannis is dead. Or is he. Sansa and Theon are dead or crippled by a kamikaze jump. Or are they? They have used characters to whet the appetite, whereas bookwise we wanted the resolution of battles. and the answer to who sent a letter, basically swapping this cliffhanger for that to whet the viewer/readers appetite.I for one would be happy if nothing is answered till its shown onscreen, or in print

But please let Stannis live!

to be fair to Weiss and Benioff they did a good episode with the finale. Myrcella is dead. Or is she? Stannis is dead. Or is he. Sansa and Theon are dead or crippled by a kamikaze jump. Or are they? They have used characters to whet the appetite, whereas bookwise we wanted the resolution of battles. and the answer to who sent a letter, basically swapping this cliffhanger for that to whet the viewer/readers appetite.I for one would be happy if nothing is answered till its shown onscreen, or in print

But please let Stannis live!

myrcella's fate wasn't really left ambiguous, we see the posion doing its work. With stannis though, the cut away and wording "do your duty" was intentionally very ambiguous and it requires a resolution next season, unless this was another case of trolling like benjen stark! Though I think the trolling with benjen had a purpose as well, he's probably coming back next season.

myrcella's fate wasn't really left ambiguous, we see the posion doing its work. With stannis though, the cut away and wording "do your duty" was intentionally very ambiguous and it requires a resolution next season, unless this was another case of trolling like benjen stark! Though I think the trolling with benjen had a purpose as well, he's probably coming back next season.

Myrcella's nose bled and she fell down. That's what you call unambiguously dead? Nobody ever even said that poison was fatal. Ellaria sure wasn't in any huge hurry to take the antidote. Why she would give a non-fatal poison is not clear - a message, maybe? But no, I'm not at all sure Myrcella is dead.

Stannis, I'm sure, for the reasons I've already stated. He had a fatal wound before Brienne arrived. And not, it wasn't D&D being stupid or careless, they intentionally showed him falling off to sleep, i.e., he was bleeding to death. Stannis is dead.

Archived