The others are about to attack the wall....

RedRahloo76

“This is my place as it is yours, and soon enough you may have grave need of me. Do not refuse my friendship, Jon. I have seen you in the storm, hard-pressed, with enemies on every side. You have so many enemies. Shall I tell you their names?”

“I know their names.”

“Do not be so certain.” The ruby at Melisandre’s throat gleamed red. “It is not the foes who curse you to your face that you must fear, but those who smile when you are looking and sharpen their knives when you turn your back. You would do well to keep your wolf close beside you. Ice, I see, and daggers in the dark. Blood frozen red and hard, and naked steel. It was very cold.”

“It is always cold on the Wall.”

“You think so?”

“I know so, my lady.”

“Then you know nothing, Jon Snow,” she whispered.

To me this is evidence that when Jon is attacked and the cold he feels is not the snow he is lying in as he bleeds out, but the bitter cold that come with the others. Jon is attacked as the cold winds are rising. This may sound a bit tinfoily, but as the others have shown, they are not an unintelligent race. We know that 6 ships made it to Hardhomme and presumably a situaion similar to the show played out with the wildlings. The letter Jon receives from Cotter Pyke.

At hardhome with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water. Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune

The dead things in the water could be anything from whales to krackens. What if the others are not only intelligent, but able to draw upon the wights memories. If the crew of the ships could be turned, and wights are shown to be able to retain memories from the past, could they not sail a ship and attack Eastwatch by the Sea? We have no details if the bird flies to castle black or Eastwatch first.

“Borroq is the least of your concerns. This ranging …”

“A word from you might have swayed the queen.”

“Selyse has the right of this, Lord Snow. Let them die. You cannot

save them. Your ships are lost—”

“Six remain. More than half the fleet.”

“Your ships are lost. All of them. Not a man shall return. I have

seen that in my fires.”

Not a man shall return, but she said nothing of Wights.

"If it comes, that attack will be no more than a persion. I saw towers by the sea, submerged beneath a black and bloody tide. That is where the heaviest blow will fall."

"Eastwatch?"

Was it? Melisandre had seen Eastwatch-by-the-Sea with King Stannis. That was where His Grace left Queen Selyse and their daughter Shireen when he assembled his knights for the march to Castle Black. The towers in her fire had been different, but that was oft the way with visions. "Yes. Eastwatch, my lord."

I know this last quote is a little shaky because of Mel's indecision, but once again she has visions of disaster on the sea. Who knows how much time has passed since Cotter sent his raven, where it was sent to, and when exactly it was sent. I think this is evidence that an attack is imminent and there may possibly be others south of the wall. What do you guys think?

Don't rely on the show for any theories.

Anyway, you are likely correct. Not for the reasons you propose, but simply because Jon being taken out by treachery is the only way he won't be blamed for the Wall failing. Blame that would destroy his entire plotline and invalidate about 30% of the books.

Not going to happen. Bowen Marsh will be the one blamed. Right now.

My question is, how are the Others going to get over the wall? Sure they are scary and spooky and invulnerable to most weapons. But how do they get over the wall?

Unlike Willings, they don't have mammoths and siege engines and ladders. Even if there were one million others, it seems unlikely that they could infiltrate.

My question is, how are the Others going to get over the wall? Sure they are scary and spooky and invulnerable to most weapons. But how do they get over the wall?

Unlike Willings, they don't have mammoths and siege engines and ladders. Even if there were one million others, it seems unlikely that they could infiltrate.

Climbing. Or going around. Or they ride on the wind, not being actual organisms but a bit of magic. We don't know anything about their limits.

The wall is warded, so I suspect that, like Coldhands, the Others cannot cross it. Could they go around it? Possibly, but then I wonder why anyone would have bothered to build it in the first place.

So my plot prediction remains that the wall will come down at some point, either through magic like the HoJ or dragonfire.

The magic of the wall only holds so long as the men of the nights watch stay true to their vows- that's from Old Nan so its obviously true. They just killed their 2nd lord commander in a row. Wall magic=dead.

While I agree Old Nan is always right wouldn't the Wall have come down during the reign of the Nights King?

I keep wondering why they have even amassed an army. In the legends the others and their wights came after the long night began, and they hunted men for food and sport. It wasn't an all out war. There was no prepared invasion or massive army buildup, at least not as suggested from the legends, myths and stories the books have given us. The others are smart, so if they just wanted to go past the wall why not just go around it ? Certainly ships come close to the further north from time to time, just capture one and sail south and run into some little port and go from there.

I think that the Others and their army are not meant for an invasion but meant to defend against one. I think there is something else coming that we don't even know about yet.

I say they are already on the other side of the wall and are attacking it within moments of the last word of the last jon chapter in dance.

I base by conclusion on the map of the north in the jon chapter where Stannis puts "lightbringer" along the wall on the map. In that same chapter wax was running around the east side of the wall.

Also weather patterns during the jon chapter when he lets tormund giantsbabe and his wildings through. I wouldn't be surprised if they rode on the winds of winter through the gate. I know people will say cold hands couldn't get through the wall, but that gate was a weirwood and wights easily got through te ice tunnels in game of thrones. It doesn't mean others can go through ice tunnels, but I think they can.

I know it ain't dick for some people, but it's good enough for me.

I say they are already on the other side of the wall and are attacking it within moments of the last word of the last jon chapter in dance.

I base by conclusion on the map of the north in the jon chapter where Stannis puts "lightbringer" along the wall on the map. In that same chapter wax was running around the east side of the wall.

Also weather patterns during the jon chapter when he lets tormund giantsbabe and his wildings through. I wouldn't be surprised if they rode on the winds of winter through the gate. I know people will say cold hands couldn't get through the wall, but that gate was a weirwood and wights easily got through te ice tunnels in game of thrones. It doesn't mean others can go through ice tunnels, but I think they can.

I know it ain't dick for some people, but it's good enough for me.

The wights were already brought into CB by the Night's Watch after the bodies of those rangers were found. So, they went through as dead bodies, and in CB they woke up in the night. Not sure wights would manage to tear through the wall by themselves, because of the magic, but they might be a "lifeform" by the Others to circumvent the Wall in a way they can't pass themselves.

My post addresses this, by sailing around the wall using the ships Jon sent to Hardhome

They better attack or do something other than the occasional death.

The sooner the better. Don't care how it happens, it just better happen. And there should definitely be no fast skeletons or fireballs.

Think Romero zombies, vs his remake zombies.

Archived