Season 5..Azor Ahai right on schedule?

calo760

Melisandre been so set on Stannis being Azor Ahai, seeing him in the flames as the last hero. However when she sees that things are not going in his favor after sacrificing Shireen she loses faith that Stannis is AA and abandons him, and heads back to Castle Black where Jon Snow is, who she has also seen in the flames. However, Jon Snow was murdered shortly after she returned there. With one candidate dead and the other as good as dead, what becomes of the prophecy? The best, and more obvious answer is that she is a con artist and her god is a fake..but we HAVE seen the power of R'hllor, so maybe her visions of who AA were off, and AA has been around her since her arrival on Dragonstone and is with her now at Castle Black..

Is Ser Davos really Azor Ahai?

When we first meet Mel, Stannis and Davos it is on Dragonstone during a ceremony in which the statues of the Seven were burned and Melisandre announces the rebirth of Stannis as Azor Ahai. The very beginning of the scene starts off with the red comet in the sky over Dragonstone..

In the books the prophecy of Azor Ahai is.. "When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”

A lot of what she sees could be symbolic of something else though, or have multiple meanings, or simply misinterpreted.. so maybe the red comet is the bleeding star, but maybe it is also the flaming arrow that was sent soaring through the sky into the water surrounding Stannis' fleet, hitting the wildfire and destroying his ships, including the one Davos was on during the Battle of Blackwater Bay. When we see flames throw him off of the ship and the chaos all around, people thought he was dead (non-book readers). Then we see him alive, badly burnt and stranded on a tiny island, more like a pile of rocks.

"When the darkness gathers" could be referring to him blacking out and being unconscious for a day or two, and him surviving could refer to him being "born again amidst salt and smoke." (salt=saltwater in Blackwater Bay, smoke = the burning ships) .

And "to wake dragons out of stone" could refer to Davos convincing Stannis (Lord of Dragonstone [has many stone dragons around the castle]) to go North and aid The Nights Watch from the wightwalkers, which Melisandre agreed is the true fight they need to pursue. Stannis comes to the realization( 'wakes up') because of Davos, as the books put it..

"Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."

All that is left is him to wield a flaming sword (and Davos technically isn't a warrior, but he will be when it comes down to it)

It would be interested because Davos is an unbeliever and objects to Melisandre more than anyone, but he is perhaps the most decent, good-hearted living person in the story.

I think she saw Stannis in the flames because Davos was most loyal to him and would stick by his side until the end..and maybe she saw Jon Snow in the flames because it would lead her back to the Wall where Davos will also be, the true Azor Ahai.

Could this be why both he and Melisandre are at the Wall in the end of season 5, where the battle against the army of the dead will take place? What was in the letter Stannis gave to Davos? Did Stannis name Davos his heir? (in the books he named Shireen his heir and to fight for her if he dies, and Melisandre says AA will seat the Iron Throne)

It's possible.. Thoughts? Better Davos than fucking Ramsay Snow.

I could see GRRM pulling a Shyamalan and revealing the Azor Ahai/Prince Who Was Promised prophecy to be nothing but a giant red herring, that there is no Deus-Ex Machina hero who will single-handedly save the day :P

But I agree, Davos would be an interesting candidate.

The leaked casting addition suggests other red priestesses now believe it's Dany which makes me further concerned that Jon will not be back.

This. :worried:

And the Davos theory seems a bit of a stretch, but it would be an excellent payoff to a character who was unflinchingly loyal to his king. Hmmm, maybe if he was able to get a hold of Longclaw somehow(I got this silly idea in my head that Longclaw is Lightbringer :drunk: ) .

Dany is and always had been a red herring. The red priestess plot in Essos is essential to impart the AA mythology to the viewer, and the twist will be that AA is Jon in Westeros.

I hope you're right...I really, truly hope you're right and that would be one hell of a twist.

Dany is and always had been a red herring. The red priestess plot in Essos is essential to impart the AA mythology to the viewer, and the twist will be that AA is Jon in Westeros.

This. There have always been people in that world who believe Dany fits the bill in the promised prince/AA category. That doesn't mean it's true.

Stannis was always the red herring.

They're not going to introduce a second red herring in season 6 just after the last one died.

I would agree with you but the show is not that subtle.

No but they have proven this season that a red priestess can get it totally, completely wrong. For example, burning your daughter doesn't win the day against the Boltons and I might have said you were AA but oops you're dead so my bad.

I would agree with you but the show is not that subtle.

Subtle they are certainly not, but they do love plot twists/ shock, and when most viewers seem to expect Dany to conquer and rule Westeros, Jon/ UnJon would definitely fit the bill of "shock"/ surprise.

Stannis was always the red herring.

They're not going to introduce a second red herring in season 6 just after the last one died.

Stannis was not a red herring. A red herring is something to fool the reader. Readers were not fooled. He was a plot device, and created some dramatic irony since we knew he was not AA but Mel did not. Dany is the red herring. Jon is the real deal.

Nope Davos is parked in the books with Osha and Rickon and is not going to be otherwise around for anything exciting until they are ready to reintroduce Rickon.

Of course on the show they mights feel obligated to keep Davos adventures current they way they did with Theon.

My feeling in the book story is that Rickon does really nothing heroic except to show up at the end of it all to inherit the stark legacy in the north. That is leaving all the important tasks to his other siblings that either end up sacrificing themselves or are left in no position to be able to or even want to be king of the north.

I could see GRRM pulling a Shyamalan and revealing the Azor Ahai/Prince Who Was Promised prophecy to be nothing but a giant red herring, that there is no Deus-Ex Machina hero who will single-handedly save the day :P

But I agree, Davos would be an interesting candidate.

That is my feeling as well. That Azor Ahai is more of a fable to illustrate that in times of dire need you have to put aside and even destroy what you love in order to save yourself.

I think it's quite possible there can be more than one AA during this time. If you think about it, why do so many locations have AA folk hero legends - from the North to the Shadow. I don't think there was just one AA.

I think folks take it too literal - one person with a red sword isn't going to just destroy an entire army of white walkers unless there's some secret nuke button in the north. You need the dragons, and there's only one queen bee with those right now (pending Victarion's quest).

My guess - Jon fulfills the "Last Hero" role and goes north of the wall (or just stays there defending it) while Dany is "Azor Ahai" and unites the continent, her flaming sword is the dragons - the dragon has three heads are most likely her two companions upon dragons... and she eventually saves the day after the Wall falls - and we have to expect that to fall at this point right? This is the pretty much the final battle of good and evil.

Jon's dream of being clad in ice defending the Wall with a red sword, the song of ice and fire in general, and the targaryian link with Dany has always had me convinced Dany and Jon are both AA type characters connected to each other. If Master Aemon is to be believed, the prophecies are rife with translation errors and per George you can't have prophecy be too literal. So I think you can have multiple people fulfill it.

Since the TV show jumped the gun, I get the feeling Jon's body could be revived by the Night King but then Jon comes back to it from Ghost. Which may explain why he's clad in ice armor in his dream... just a thought.

Stannis was not a red herring. A red herring is something to fool the reader. Readers were not fooled. He was a plot device, and created some dramatic irony since we knew he was not AA but Mel did not. Dany is the red herring. Jon is the real deal.

EXCELLENT point.

Archived