Which Theory Would You Be Most Satistfied To Learn To Be False?

I had a hard time phrasing the title, but hopefully my meaning is clear. Imagine that, in one of the future novels, there is indisputable evidence that theory "X" is not true and you are thrilled/elated/satisfied. Which theory is that? Feel free to name a few, and why.

For me it’s a tie between R+L+J and A+J=T, but each for different reasons.

While the evidence for R+L=J is strong and I realize that it is very likely true, I don’t like it. Partly because I don’t think Jon would like it and I also feel it would likely do him more harm than good.

One reason is I just want Ned to really be Jon’s biodad. While, personally, I understand that raising Jon and claiming him does more to make him Jon’s dad than DNA alone ever could, I don’t think Jon would feel that way. Patrilineal heritage is highly valued in Westeros society. Jon has derived so much of his self-identity from believing Ned is his father, especially having never known his mother. I think his initial reaction to learning he had any other sire would be devastation.

I understand that part of the reason for this theory’s popularity is that the readers love Jon and would love for him to have a claim to the Iron Throne and/or ride a dragon. I love Jon, too! However, I think if he pursued a claim to the Iron Throne, it would just lead to grief for him. Also, everyone seems so sure that a person needs Targ blood to ride a dragon, but I just don’t believe that. I’m sure it could help, but I don’t think it is a hard rule.

Which sort of leads into my issues with A+J=T. Again, I think the popularity of this theory comes (partially) from the popularity of its chief subject. Tyrion is well-liked, therefore readers would love for him to be a secret Targ as this makes him a potential dragon-rider. As I have already stated, I don’t think Targ ancestry is completely necessary to ride a dragon.

Unlike with R+L=J, I don’t buy the evidence for A+J=T. While the timeline seems to make it possible, I don’t think that it is likely. I think it’s just wishful thinking of readers wanting Tyrion to be a secret Targ as they would see it as a kind of revenge for his rejection by Tywin and Cercsei

I also don’t like what it would do to everything Tyrion has been through. It puts his relationship with Tywin in a completely different light. Some might even argue it justifies how Tywin treated his younger son. I don’t agree with that and I don’t even want someone to be able to make that claim!

I think people want their favorite characters to have claims to the Iron Throne because they see winning the Irone Throne as the ultimate achievement and greatest happiness someone could have. I don’t agree. Ruling is a burden. Of course I want the Iron Throne to go to someone I like, but I want the person to be prepared. I don’t want it to be someone who never imagined they would have such a responsibility (Jon, Tyrion). I think for either of them, it would NOT lead to happiness.

So I guess my dislike for these two theories comes some from evidence, but mostly from emotion. I don’t want R+L=J to be true for Jon’s sake. I don’t want A+J=T to be true because it just doesn’t “feel” true to me.

Other theories I think are complete BS: Eurio, Dany raised in Dorne, and this idea that every character from the current storyline magically corresponds to someone from history, legend, the Age of Heroes, etc. Not everyone is someone else reborn.

I have no problem with R+L=J. I think that would be a satisfying truth. He would still be part Stark, after all.

I also do not want Jon to pursue the throne. Jon's story is a sad one and I think that no matter what it's going to end sadly. He seems to me a character that is going to make serious personal sacrifice and probably do so alone. That's a vibe I get and pure speculation, I'll admit.

I would like the theory that Jon is going to be a zombie resurrected by Mel or that he'll just be warged into Ghost debunked. I think those would be lame outcomes.

I also think that the HBO derived theory that the Night's King is the current leader of The Others is bogus. I'd like to see that shut down.

I would love for R+L=J being false because I absolutely despise the character of Rhaegar.

I used to think that Rhaegar was a candy-ass but I'm starting to like his character. I think the reader is going to find out more about Rhaegar and that he probably had many redeeming qualities.

There's too much mystery surrounding the nature of his character since everything we know about him is secondhand. But I do understand your dislike.

I used to think that Rhaegar was a candy-ass but I'm starting to like his character. I think the reader is going to find out more about Rhaegar and that he probably had many redeeming qualities.

There's too much mystery surrounding the nature of his character since everything we know about him is secondhand. But I do understand your dislike.

Agree. Initially thought of Rhaegar as a man who felt entitled to any woman he wanted. I had imagined him as very much his father's son.

But that changed. The more we learn about him, the more I like him.

Cleganebowl. Ashara being relevant alive. The HR/HS nonsense.

This.

I never understood the Jon stealing Drogon idea, but I am not sure it is a theory.

Otherwise - Jon and Dany wedding; the recent Jon is Aegon; also recent, Ramsay is AA; basically anything that has to do with hidden Targs.

No. You didn't.

GRRM worships crueler gods than you or I.

He kills the people we love. And draws strength from drinking our tears. Purposefully unfulfilling wishes. Instead of Secret Santa gift exchanges, he is like Secret Satan. Lol

I hope Cleganebowl happens.

I would be happy either way.

But a badass Other with a twirling ice spear? unOberyn would be amazing.

Archived