Men That Left Stannis

NzForever

Seems like rushed broken plotline.

Are we really supposed to believe that loyal Baratheon bannerman and Calvary deserted their king because he burnt his daughter alive? He has been burning people all along, why would they care now.

These are also the men who went north of the wall, fought in the battle of blackwater etc.

What is even more funny is that he doesnt know until the next day. Seriously ALL your horses leave your camp and no one notices. hahaha.

Bad writing by the show writers. One of the many plot holes and illogical points within this season.

Are we really supposed to believe that loyal Baratheon bannerman and Calvary deserted their king because he burnt his daughter alive? He has been burning people all along, why would they care now.

These are also the men who went north of the wall, fought in the battle of blackwater etc.

What is even more funny is that he doesnt know until the next day. Seriously ALL your horses leave your camp and no one notices. hahaha.

Bad writing by the show writers. One of the many plot holes and illogical points within this season.

Stannis was three days from Winterfell at Long Lake, which is roughly equidistant to Castle Black. That means Mel should have made it to the wall in about 36 hours of hard riding.

Then again, she could have borrowed batfinger's teleporter.

Yep.

I think they had more written for his story arch but cut it.

maybe to fit in Dorne =(

To be honest though I kind of think the men went over to Winterfell and joined Ramsay.

Roose was preparing for a seige. Housing what looked liek 2000 horses over the winter during a seige seems pretty foolish to me.

"So her traveling time is half"

What? Think about this again. When someone is engaging in "hard riding" that means they are not sleeping. I have never received any hints that Mel has superior night vision, thus she would travel at roughly the same speed as anyone else.

Presumably the sellswords didn't desert because he burnt his daughter, but had planned to do so for some time and were waiting for the opportune time. Don't forget earlier in the season 'the stormcrows' rode off into a blizzard. The logic would seem to be that they realised tthey were on the losing side, and I guess its possible that show Stannis probably would have paid them in full in advance, seems like the kind of stupid thing he would do...

Kinslaying is one of the most egregious sins one can commit in Westeros according to both the Old Gods and the New. Right up there with violating Guests Right. First, he murdered his own brother even though no one could really prove it so he got away with it. Now he has very publicly killed Princess Shireen. For Stannis to burn his own daughter was probably something any Westerosi would abhor, especially considering that she was his sole heir.

Obviously Stannis is being seduced, entranced and/or spellbound by Melisandre. In the books we never actually see him and Mel having sex but it is heavily implied that lust and seduction are both tools that Melisandre has used to curry favor with the King in the Narrow Sea.

Melisandre and her false visions have led Stannis astray numerous times and it is apparently clear to book readers that this outcome of Shireen's burning is coming as well, just not with the same details. Why else would Melisandre have pushed for her to come to the Wall? Why not just keep her safe on Dragonstone or elsewhere? (Even though Dragonstone ended up being attacked by a garrison led by Loras Tyrell. Also, in the books Stannis sends Davos on a mission (away from the action) as well so Melisandre can certainly convince Selyse at the Wall that Shireen needs to die for Stannis to succeed at Winterfell.

Trapped in a snow storm unable to go anywhere.

500 sellswords ride out with 500 horses.

Do Dumb & Dumber even read their own scripts? The Stannis scenes were some of the worst written "twists" I've seen on TV. George must be boiling with rage after the mess these morons made of S5. A 10 year old could write better.

The truth is the two plot lines, book and show, couldn't be more different. Book we see the action amongst the Northern people outside of House Bolton because we have time to develop that story. The show did a poor job, IMO, and hurried this plot line along in their vision, which result in the deaths, apparently, of both Stannis and Jon Snow. In fact if both are dead the entire plot is pretty much summed up in the North, Bolton wins until the others take over.....

Trapped in a snow storm unable to go anywhere.

500 sellswords ride out with 500 horses.

Do Dumb & Dumber even read their own scripts? The Stannis scenes were some of the worst written "twists" I've seen on TV. George must be boiling with rage after the mess these morons made of S5. A 10 year old could write better.

When Stannis was in Braavos he reported to the Braavosi banker that he had a force of about 3,500 men left. I think that we were given a figure of about 6,000 or so when he left the Wall, so it was more like 2,000 men taking off maybe more if my recollection is correct. If they had actually ridden/walked off right in front of Stannis and told him to stick it, that wouldn't have bothered me. I can see them slinking off in the night but someone would have woken Stannis, he did execute the guys who failed to notice Ramsey and his 20 stalwarts.

When Stannis was in Braavos he reported to the Braavosi banker that he had a force of about 3,500 men left. I think that we were given a figure of about 6,000 or so when he left the Wall, so it was more like 2,000 men taking off maybe more if my recollection is correct. If they had actually ridden/walked off right in front of Stannis and told him to stick it, that wouldn't have bothered me. I can see them slinking off in the night but someone would have woken Stannis, he did execute the guys who failed to notice Ramsey and his 20 stalwarts.

Tbh if I was stannis and my guards didn't see ramsay and his 20 good men I'd have burnt there useless arses alive

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

All the people in this thread talking about kinslayers and desertion.Ramsay killed his brother WITH POISON.They didn't desert.

Oh that's right because they are "LOYAL" "good Dreadfort men" HAHAHAHAH

Yea Ramsay can kinslay but he keeps the loyalty of 20(000) good men but Stannis kinslays and his whole army abandons.

FUCK YOU D AND D.

So far Stannis has only burnt unimportant adults and a lord from the Reach. Now he's burned an innocent child, who also happens to be his daughter. Every ASOIAF fan knows how much kinslayong is frowned uppon.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

All the people in this thread talking about kinslayers and desertion.Ramsay killed his brother WITH POISON.They didn't desert.

Oh that's right because they are "LOYAL" "good Dreadfort men" HAHAHAHAH

Yea Ramsay can kinslay but he keeps the loyalty of 20(000) good men but Stannis kinslays and his whole army abandons.

FUCK YOU D AND D.

No, he didn't. Reily was killed by a sword. Wielded by a shadowbaby. And almost nobody in the realm believes Stannis was behind it, since most people in Westeros don't believe in magic and shadowbabies.

And even if they thought he was responsible, killing your adult traitor brother you were at war with =/= burning your innocent little daughter and only child and heir.

I support every "Fuck you D&D" message, but you chose the wrong argument and the wrong thing to complain about. Come on. Of course Stannis would lose support if he did that (though probably not of mercenaries, they don't care as long as they get paid). The problem is that it makes no sense to do that in the first place.

Bit of a discredit to mercs in here, most men wouldn't follow a batshit loon who'd burn his own kid for a nice bit of weather. Most people with no actual morals still have standards, the mass desertion (the reason, not how it all went so unnoticed) was the only thing in the last two episodes they got right.

"So her traveling time is half"

What? Think about this again. When someone is engaging in "hard riding" that means they are not sleeping. I have never received any hints that Mel has superior night vision, thus she would travel at roughly the same speed as anyone else.

Added to which, horses are not machines and tend to require rest.

Archived