If the faith militant decides to execute Margery Tyrell during her Trial

Frey Kings

IMO & Tinfoil: Vaerys will somehow orchestrate Margery's death during her Trial. The Tyrells will be unable to prevent it. It will be the end of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance. It will be certain chaos in KL. Which will open the door to a Targ King to restore order. With Tyrell's backing as huge possibility. Cersei will go mad-er that her plan didn't go as smoothly. Someone very important in the Tyrell army is secretly backing Aegon.

Well in any case, her death is imminent.

The High Sparrow is not stupid enough to give a guilty verdict when Mace has brought an army to Kings Landing.

If Vaerys and co tampers with the evidence. He'll get a broken alliance between two power houses, the townspeople, faith militant and pave the way for a Targ King....

The High Sparrow is not stupid enough to give a guilty verdict when Mace has brought an army to Kings Landing.

The High Sparrow rips the flesh from his back to feel closer to the gods, he doesn't give a fuck, he's doing the god's will.

Varys will probably have her found guilty, or Mace will turn to his military strength before a verdict when the trial starts going bad. But I doubt she's going to actually make it to execution, Marge is worth much alive to Varys as a bargaining chip with Willas. He would just have to convince the HS, the Mother shows mercy, spare her her life and avoid more war, trade her back to HG where she can never again corrupt the crown in exchange for the Reach swearing fealty to Aegon.

He is not stupid, but a crazy religious fanatic. I think the High Sparrow doesn't care at all about an army. He is serving the gods, and he will try punish Margaery or anybody else if needed.

Honestly for the sake of the story I can't imagine Margaery surviving the trial or at least surviving and staying in King's Landing as Tommen's wife. As the thread starter proposed, I think that Varys would arrange Margaery's death. For example Mace and Randyll would manage to save her (they surely won't let her be executed) but Varys has her secretly killed in her room / cell and the blame goes on the Lannisters loyalists. Which results in more chaos and chaos is the ladder.

The chances are pretty good now that both Mace and Tarly will decide to not allow the Faith to try Margaery and instead declare her innocence through Tommen - both Mace and Tarly tried to get Kevan to agree to that while he was still alive. With Kevan now dead Mace has no reason to play nice with the Faith.

Even if they decided to allow the Faith to conduct the trial they would assure that the witnesses testify in Margaery's favor. And besides that - Mace and Tarly should take a very strong contingent of their most trustful and capable men with them to the Great Sept as protectors of themselves and Margaery to prevent the Faith Militant from seizing/harming/executing Margaery should she be found guilty. Not to mention that the Tyrell armies should surround Visenya's Hill and the close the Great Sept to the other parts of the city to ensure that they can strike back/attack the Faith if the judges reach the wrong verdict.

And honestly I simply can't see the High Septon being stupid enough to make Mace Tyrell his all-out enemy by convicting Margaery - it is much more likely that Mace makes the High Septon his enemy by defying the will of the gods and not allowing him to try Margaery in the first place despite the fact that Randyll Tarly agreed to that. This could then eventually lead to the Faith declaring for King Aegon after Mace's army suffered a major defeat against the Golden Company. If either the Tyrells or the Faith decide to enter into armed combat right now the Faith should suffer a crushing defeat as the Tyrells simply are stronger right now - and the smallfolk is mostly on Margaery's side.

I really can't see Mace bowing down to the sparrows now when he has all the legal power in his hands as Hand of the King - and presumably Lord Regent as well, after Kevan's death. If he goes along with Cersei's trial I imagine the identity/nature of Ser Robert Strong may be revealed during it as well, causing the additional uproar directed against Cersei so that she won't be able to claim an official position of power again even if her trial-by-combat gets her off the hook for her crimes. But I'd actually be surprised if anyone would approve of her using an undead created by dark magic and possibly being immortal - after all, I'm not sure anyone can consider it a fair trial-by-combat if only one of the champions can die... Not to mention that the Faith is generally condemning black magic and stuff.

Aegon's "friends" in the Reach could be a buff used to boost morality. Don't see anyone of importance as a turncoat in The Reach. They all saw what wartorn countrys could look like and everyone will suffer for one man's gain. Hightowers? they hate magic. Randyll Tarley's wife claim to Brightwater keep? Was given to Garlan Tyrell by Tywin not the Tyrell themselves. Randyll would've pressed for it by now.

JonCon will persuade Martells to join (f?)Aegon's cause but they will be crushed by the reach.

Varys will likely do something to kill off Tommen and/or Margaery and destroy the Tyrell/Lannister alliance and set the way for (f?)Aegon's rule. But he needs a highborn Queen like Margaery and the reach til Dany arrives.

Any friends the Golden Company in the Reach should be far away from Mace Tyrell right now - the Merryweathers (Orton himself or his father may have served with the Golden Company before Robert gave them their castle and lands back, and he and Taena were most likely working for Varys when they helped Cersei to ruin herself), Lord Titus Peake, other known former Blackfyre loyalists like the Vyrwels and Costaynes.

Mathis Rowan may end up joining Aegon's cause but not because he is a friend of the Golden Company but because he is a Targaryen loyalist and still abhorred because of the murder of the Targaryen children. The other great houses of the Reach - Hightower and Redwyne - are way too intermarried with the Tyrells to dare defy them. Not to mention that Lord Leyton Hightower cannot spare any men to support anyone right now. He is threatened by Euron.

Tarly could end up in camp Aegon if he is captured after a lost battle - but I very much doubt he'll try to stage a coup in Aegon's name or dare defy his liege openly. Mace has given him office and power, and although Mace isn't exactly the best general in Westeros I very much doubt a Tyrell/Reach army would follow a man who has actually murdered/assassinated Lord Tyrell. Especially not in light of the fact that House Tyrell isn't going to die with Mace - the man has heirs, after all, and historically the Reach is not known to fight against itself.

But then Mace himself could end up in camp Aegon if he is accompanying/leading an army against the Golden Company, loses, and his captured.

Didn't the High Sparrow release Margaery because the evidence was flimsy? Plus the "witness" Cersei provided was tortured into telling the truth, that he hadn't slept with Margaery but he had slept with Cersei. I think Margaery will be found innocent, especially because the High Sparrow will suspect Cersei set her up. Cersei would be found guilty if she hadn't chosen trial by combat.

If the Faith somehow managed to get their hands back on Margery and then executed her, the Tyrells would make 'The Sack of King's Landing' look like 'The Bloodless Capitulation of King's Landing'. We've never seen the Tyrells ticked off before, I can only imagine it would be a sight to behold.

I don't think Margaery could be found guilty of adultery on the available evidence.

But things could turn very nasty for her, if evidence were to emerge that she was party to Joffrey's murder.

Again... Mace is Hand of the King, with a completely pliable king. He has his best commander with a military force in the capital. Why is he going to hand over his daughter again? They can proclaim her innocence without her being in the room.

Aegon's "friends" in the Reach could be a buff used to boost morality. Don't see anyone of importance as a turncoat in The Reach. They all saw what wartorn countrys could look like and everyone will suffer for one man's gain. Hightowers? they hate magic. Randyll Tarley's wife claim to Brightwater keep? Was given to Garlan Tyrell by Tywin not the Tyrell themselves. Randyll would've pressed for it by now.

JonCon will persuade Martells to join (f?)Aegon's cause but they will be crushed by the reach.

Varys will likely do something to kill off Tommen and/or Margaery and destroy the Tyrell/Lannister alliance and set the way for (f?)Aegon's rule. But he needs a highborn Queen like Margaery and the reach til Dany arrives.

The Tyrells are just upjumped Stewarts, who happened to be in control of Highgarden when it was time to surrender. It's made clear they don't have the respect or the loyalty of the lords below them. It would be weird for that to be in the text, and then "friends in the reach" to be meaningless.

Archived