Video Games: Deus X-Machinima (E3 Fallout)

Werthead

Finished Dust: An Elysian Tail. Fun game and got a bit more emotional in parts than I expected from the cutesy setting. I had a few problems with the ending though and thought the game really failed at making the villain seem evil, I just felt pretty sorry for him whenever he was on screen. Also, the game eventually got way too easy once I leveled up a bit. But still, good stuff.

Satellite Reign to be released on 28 August.

Very, very excited about this. A new cyberpunk game from the creators of Syndicate and Syndicate Wars? I am down.

I will almost certainly be getting that. I haven't played nearly enough good cyberpunk recently, basically just the Shadowrun stuff.

I will almost certainly be getting that. I haven't played nearly enough good cyberpunk recently, basically just the Shadowrun stuff.

Apparently, when people were working on Deus Ex: HR, focus-group testing basically said that the cyberpunk genre was largely unknown to people and a lot of the key elements (rampant corporatism, decking/hacking, cybernetics, etc) just registered as "modern" or "near modern" which is why it wasn't heavily advertised as cyberpunk. I agree, there hasn't been much besides Shadowrun (which was pretty cool). I'm excited for more.

Yet another [i]Crusader Kings II[/i] expansion released... this game is just never going to let me go, is it? Anyway, nomdas are really, really powerful (cheap, massive cavalry retinues), fairly low maintenance (once you've destroyed all holdings in a conquered province it automatically flips to your culture and religion) and there doesn't seem to be a gameplay incentive to settle down. Haven't looked into how you'd go about getting fleets to conquer the British Isles and Iceland, but everything else seems to be easy pickings.

Yet another Crusader Kings II expansion released... this game is just never going to let me go, is it? Anyway, nomdas are really, really powerful (cheap, massive cavalry retinues), fairly low maintenance (once you've destroyed all holdings in a conquered province it automatically flips to your culture and religion) and there doesn't seem to be a gameplay incentive to settle down. Haven't looked into how you'd go about getting fleets to conquer the British Isles and Iceland, but everything else seems to be easy pickings.

I seriously hope they nerf them, they're pretty much gamebreaking at this point.

Their retinues are absurdly powerful, especially considering all the cheap and easily obtainable upgrades that can be applied to them.

The clan system is also miles easier to control than typical feudal vassals.

I seriously hope they nerf them, they're pretty much gamebreaking at this point.

Their retinues are absurdly powerful, especially considering all the cheap and easily obtainable upgrades that can be applied to them.

The clan system is also miles easier to control than typical feudal vassals.

They will. In every expansion they've introduced something far too powerful which ended up gamebreaking, and they were nerfed in later patches.

It also looks like Arkham Knight for PC will be fixed no earlier than fall this year.

Bailed on Watch Dogs after a few hours of play. There is just nothing interesting about that game. 

Now I'm rekindling my Hearthstone addiction and trying to resist spending $10 on a shiny new dwarf picture for my warrior decks. I always hated Garrosh...

Anyone else tried out a free to play game called Card Hunter?

It is a card game/tactic rpg type game that plays out as if you are playing a D&D campaign.  The aesthetic is very cool, IMO, with your game pieces being paper stadees like you would see in a board game.

You play through modules that give a little background info on the setting and what you are doing, then it puts you're party on a paper map that is obviously on a dining room table.  You then have to battle the enemies using a grid system on the map.

Everything in combat is based off of the cards that each party member has, even moving is based off a card.  The cards each party member has to work with are all based on what type of gear they have (so a crappy level 1 sword may give you a damage card that does 1 damage, but a level 6 sword will give you damage cards that do 10 damage, etc...).

I don't know exactly how the free to play model works, looks to be just cosmetic stuff and you can buy chests to unlock, but it's a fun little game so far.

Has anyone played Invisible Inc. by Klei Entertainment? Fun turn-based stealth with interesting agents, despite the short campaign. 

I'm looking forward to Dishonored 2, but I'm a little confused by the supposed choice between playing as Emily or Corvo. It sounds like Emily is the main character this time around and Corvo is an option you can choose if you've got nostalgia for the older game. Or are they both available in one playthrough but at different times?

Has anyone played Invisible Inc. by Klei Entertainment? Fun turn-based stealth with interesting agents, despite the short campaign. 

I'm looking forward to Dishonored 2, but I'm a little confused by the supposed choice between playing as Emily or Corvo. It sounds like Emily is the main character this time around and Corvo is an option you can choose if you've got nostalgia for the older game. Or are they both available in one playthrough but at different times?

I thought Corvo was for the players that didn't save Emily. But that's assuming the choices and different endings of the original affect the second game.

I thought Corvo was for the players that didn't save Emily. But that's assuming the choices and different endings of the original affect the second game.

I didn't even consider that. Makes sense. I'm on my third playthrough and I can't get myself to play high-chaos.

Has anyone else been playing Rocket League, the follow up to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars? It is just soccer with cars in teams of 2, 3 or 4 and great mindless fun. I think it's free for PS Plus members.

I was watching a stream of it the other night. It looks pretty cool, if it's free on PS4 I'll probably give it a shot. I got the vibe it's something I'm going to prefer watching than actually playing myself though. 

Been replaying X-Wing Alliance. In terms of design, mission variety, storyline and balance it's certainly the best X-Wing game (I think TIE Fighter fans tend to forget how insanely overpowered that game gets by midgame and then even moreso later on with the introduction of ever-more-preposterously powerful fighters). However, some of the missions are insanely long and there is no checkpointing, at all. Given how tough some of the missions are how easy it is to make a mistake and lose, this results in a lot of frustration.

Still great, though. I'd forgotten that MK-09 was a not-quite-as-homicidal forerunner of HK-47.

Has anyone else been playing Rocket League, the follow up to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars? It is just soccer with cars in teams of 2, 3 or 4 and great mindless fun. I think it's free for PS Plus members.

I love this game. It is especially a lot of fun playing with friends.I just hope the servers get a little more stable, although I understand this is probably due to there being a lot more downloads than expected.

If you thought that Aliens: Colonial Marines was a deliberate lie and piece of shit game, then you're the type of person who likes to stand on sandcastles.

And there was a veritable barbarian horde of sandcastle destroyers for his games. Also his comment reminded me of the author tantrums. "You didn't like my work, why do you have to be so critical about it." uh-oh

Been replaying X-Wing Alliance. In terms of design, mission variety, storyline and balance it's certainly the best X-Wing game (I think TIE Fighter fans tend to forget how insanely overpowered that game gets by midgame and then even moreso later on with the introduction of ever-more-preposterously powerful fighters). However, some of the missions are insanely long and there is no checkpointing, at all. Given how tough some of the missions are how easy it is to make a mistake and lose, this results in a lot of frustration.

Still great, though. I'd forgotten that MK-09 was a not-quite-as-homicidal forerunner of HK-47.

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I miss that aspect of games. Yes, they are frustrating as hell. But once you finally win it's very satisfying. 

If you thought that Aliens: Colonial Marines was a deliberate lie and piece of shit game, then you're the type of person who likes to stand on sandcastles.

Gearbox is such a fucking head-scratcher of a company. They make some fantastic games (many will disagree I expect but I love the Borderlands and Brothers In Arms series), one of the best HD remakes ever, and then some absolute shit piles like Aliens and Duke Nukem Forever. And then the CEO says ridiculous shit like this. What an ass. 

Archived