Possible Casting of Another Red Priestess Spoilers

TheReal_Rebel

She'll probably end up having sex with Tyrion or Daario. Or, she'll glamour herself to look like Dany and give Jorah the thrill of his life.

It seems like the Red Priests might be to Meereen what the Faith is to King's Landing. I can't see this alliance going well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to assume you're serious despite my doubts just because I'm nice like that.

I have no problem with either male or female leaders. Don't even have a problem with hot female leaders. Why would I? I just don't trust D+D to write any female character well (or anyone to be honest, but especially women) and I'm kind of exasperated that they're injecting sex appeal into the story in places were there was none before.

I just don't like this scene:

• What's wrong with the character from the books - Benerro?

Why are they basically just casting another Melisandre? They've completely removed the subtle differences between the Red Priests in the show.

How does Varys know about Stannis' defeat at Winterfell already and why shoe-horn it into the conversation? Do they really think that this makes the world feel more connected? It just makes the world feel smaller.

This scene stinks of kissing Tyrion's but as usual. Like immediately after Tyrion takes up leadership of Meereen he has hot women prostrating themselves at his feet to help. He doesn't need to negotiate or navigate complex political situations. Kinvara is "here to help."

And I really don't think it's a good thing that I already know the exact delivery of the lines in this scene.

I have a few problems with this and that Is

1. I would much rather see a hot chick than an old shriveled man, and in the casting call they never call for attractive female

2.we don't know if she is another Mel and I don't think it's fair to assume that either based on one scene that hasn't even been filmed, also how have they completely removed the subtle differences between the red preists? Just last season they show a red priestess who is asian and are we forgetting Thoros of Myr so the show still has some difference between them

3. Are you forgetting that varys has spies everywhere and would find out occurences with Dany back in season 1 within the span of 1 episode and we don't know how much time has passed since the finale

4. Nobody is groveling at tyrion's feet pleading to help if you would read the dialogue carefully (which you apparently didn't) you would see that Tyrion states that he thanks her for coming and knows that the journey is uncomfortable which means that he sent for her himself or Varys did. and He states the he needs HER help and he had asked first only for her to THEN state she would help them and it's only because it aligns with her beliefs which we have evidence of when tyrion first shows up in volantis and see's the asian priestess worshipping dany as the savior and even azor ahai so it makes sense. Also we don't know how early this scene is and we don't know what else is happening in mereen at this time so he could be doing a lot of political dealings and dealing with complex situations you can't base tyrion's entire arc for the season based on the dialogue used in an audition for a red priestess

5. That's not a bad thing at all as a matter of fact that should be a good ting as you know the actors style and how they portay the character enough to understand and know how that character would respond and deliver that line, If you read a line meant for charles dance (Tywin) than you could probably guess the way the lines would be delivered, doesn't mean the lines aren't good or that the actor is bad, since charles dance is world class

So yeah I disagree with you, but this sin;t a post meant to slam what you said just putting out a counter point and stating my opinions

To counter those counterpoints then:

1. That's really shallow of you . And it's really shallow of D+D as well. Sure, I'd rather look at a beautiful woman than an old man, but that doesn't mean that TV should insert hot woman at any opportunity. In any case yes, the casting call did call for an attractive female: "Priestess. Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic." - http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

2. No I'm not forgetting Thoros of Myr. In fact my entire point was about Thoros of Myr. They take this genial, not too serious red priest from the books and turn him into another zealot. Kinvara is also clearly a zealot from this scene.

3. For word of Stannis' defeat to reach Varys, realistically months would had to pass. And yet it's doubtful that they will have that much time passing. This kind of thing has always annoyed me. It's a really amateurish way of trying to make the setting seem connected, but it just makes the world seem smaller and the reference seems shoe-horned in. Why does this need to be here? Even ignoring the travel times involved it's clunky.

4. I read the scene just fine thanks. Regardless of the exact lines, the end result is the same - Tyrion's expecting to have to pull off some tough negotiations to get this woman's help, but she's already fully willing to help him. That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't treat Tyrion like a saint all the time.

Mediocre dialogue ... that's it.... I also have a problem that it appears all the priests of Rhllor are women, considering Rila Fukushimia... especially because we know in the books it's the other way around. Women are what? temple prostitutes?? Melisandre probably isn't an oficial priestess in the eyes of the great temples in Essos.

first of all I disagree i think the dialogue is great and that whole bit about varys and the flames and the voice is downright chilling and well done and all the priests of R'hollor are not only women on the show, I don't know why everyone always forgets that Thoros was on the show in season 3, and where did you get the fact that the women are temple prostitutes when this specific women is considered High priestess of the red temple of volantis, so not a temple prostitute

To counter those counterpoints then:

1. That's really shallow of you . And it's really shallow of D+D as well. Sure, I'd rather look at a beautiful woman than an old man, but that doesn't mean that TV should insert hot woman at any opportunity. In any case yes, the casting call did call for an attractive female: "Priestess. Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic." - http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

2. No I'm not forgetting Thoros of Myr. In fact my entire point was about Thoros of Myr. They take this genial, not too serious red priest from the books and turn him into another zealot. Kinvara is also clearly a zealot from this scene.

3. For word of Stannis' defeat to reach Varys, realistically months would had to pass. And yet it's doubtful that they will have that much time passing. This kind of thing has always annoyed me. It's a really amateurish way of trying to make the setting seem connected, but it just makes the world seem smaller and the reference seems shoe-horned in. Why does this need to be here? Even ignoring the travel times involved it's clunky.

4. I read the scene just fine thanks. Regardless of the exact lines, the end result is the same - Tyrion's expecting to have to pull off some tough negotiations to get this woman's help, but she's already fully willing to help him. That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't treat Tyrion like a saint all the time.

1. It may be shallow but it is true but we can agree to disagree on that it's just a drop in the pool really, and I didn't see that last part of the casing call that's my bad, thanks for clearing that up I appreciate it

2.Thoros was not portryed as a zealot at all even when he met melisandre she stated that the high priest gave him a mission to which he states he failed to which she replies he quit and she called him a drunk, To which we do see him drink a lot and crack jokes, and then he states "you worship him your way I'll worship him my way" and in the books thoros has a quote that says, and i'm paraphrasing here, that he was always a drunk and fucked all the whores in kings landing and that he didn't believe and only said the words of prayer to r'hollor when beric died becaquse they were the only ones he knew and then when beric opened his eyes he knew that his god was the one true god, that last part about the one true god seems like the beginning of a religious zealot to me

3.The books do the same thing aswell with something happenng in essos only for varys to tell robert or the small council a chapter or two later, and at some point the characters have to find out and again we don;t know how much time passed and we don't know at what point in the season this occurs

I mean it could happen at like ep 8 for all we know

4. yeah she's already willing to help but it's not like it came out of nowhere It was hinted and established that the red priests/priestesses believe dany to be the savior as was shown earlier in the season,so there'snot that big a leap in logic as it's actually pretty lausible and believable and I don't think they treat tyrion like a saint, i mean they have made him have to do terrible things and they have had him endure ridicule and not being given recognition for the major part he played in the blackwater, they treat tyrion as they do any other character on the show

first of all I disagree i think the dialogue is great and that whole bit about varys and the flames and the voice is downright chilling and well done and all the priests of R'hollor are not only women on the show, I don't know why everyone always forgets that Thoros was on the show in season 3, and where did you get the fact that the women are temple prostitutes when this specific women is considered High priestess of the red temple of volantis, so not a temple prostitute

So, my entire comment was in relation to the books, where Melisandre was most likely a slave and a temple prostitute.... I haven't forgotten Thoros, but in the show he is the oddity, he's the male exception, even in the show he says he is unimportant, that he's not skilled or really faithful. So he's not representative of the faith, of the really powerful. All the other R'hllorians we see are women.

As for the dialogue, it was simply my opinion, you can look at it differently. As for her knowing what happened to Varys.... probably the fact that it's unrealistic, that not only would she know him, but know exactly what happened to him as a child makes it all the more bad in my eyes. These priests aren't all knowing. But hey, who knows, maybe in the show they are.

My problem with Thoros is that they made him into a zealot willing to sell Gendry to Melisandre. And they make him talk about how "all must serve the lord." And now in S6 there are rumours that the brotherhood has basically become a group of religious terrorists. They're clearly removing all moral ambiguity from the Red Faith. They've made both Mel and Thoros more unsympathetic.

My problem with Thoros is that they made him into a zealot willing to sell Gendry to Melisandre. And they make him talk about how "all must serve the lord." And now in S6 there are rumours that the brotherhood has basically become a group of religious terrorists. They're clearly removing all moral ambiguity from the Red Faith. They've made both Mel and Thoros more unsympathetic.

correct me if i'm wrong but I could have sworn that thoros has said something along those lines before in the books, and the "rumors" about the brotherhood becoming religious terrorists i haven't heard as most of what people have been saying and I believe his is that it's a whole new band of religious zealots seperate fom the brotherhood, and as far as im concerened mel hasn't been all to sympathetic at all, laughable maybe in her foolish misreadings of the flames, and Thoros selling gendry makes sense as he's selling him to somebody who serves, according to thoros, the one true god that he believes in so it's not as if it's totally out of character

correct me if i'm wrong but I could have sworn that thoros has said something along those lines before in the books, and the "rumors" about the brotherhood becoming religious terrorists i haven't heard as most of what people have been saying and I believe his is that it's a whole new band of religious zealots seperate fom the brotherhood, and as far as im concerened mel hasn't been all to sympathetic at all, laughable maybe in her foolish misreadings of the flames, and Thoros selling gendry makes sense as he's selling him to somebody who serves, according to thoros, the one true god that he believes in so it's not as if it's totally out of character

Well you remembered wrong. Thoros is no zealot in the books and indeed many of the riverlanders have converted to the Red Faith due to the do-gooding of the brotherhood. I mean if you want to pretend that they're introducing a second religious outlaw band then okay. You do that.

Well you remembered wrong. Thoros is no zealot in the books and indeed many of the riverlanders have converted to the Red Faith due to the do-gooding of the brotherhood. I mean if you want to pretend that they're introducing a second religious outlaw band then okay. You do that.

fine I may be wrong about thoros in the books, but what makes you think your right and that i'm simply pretending that they're introducing a new outlaw band? Until we know for certain you can't definitively say who these people are so if you want to continue pretending that they are the brotherhood turned religious terrorists than okay. You do that.

fine I may be wrong about thoros in the books, but what makes you think your right and that i'm simply pretending that they're introducing a new outlaw band? Until we know for certain you can't definitively say who these people are so if you want to continue pretending that they are the brotherhood turned religious terrorists than okay. You do that.

Well it's just not a reasonable assumption to think that they're introducing a second religious outlaw band in the riverlands? Why would they? What narrative purpose does that serve when they already have such a group in the riverlands? Moreover a group whose lack of inclusion since season 3 has been a complaint, because it makes the show look as though it's sloppily dropping plot threads (because it is). And it fits with D+D's treatment of religion. They did the same thing to the Sparrows. Even though the Sparrows are extreme in the books, they are not nearly so zealous as in the show, and their motives are changed to be less noble (from protecting the common folk to purging gays and prostitutes from Kings Landing). And it also fits with their characterisation of Thoros, who in the show believes all must serve the Lord of Light. At the very least these new religious outlaws will be an off-shoot of the brotherhood. More likely imo (for the reasons stated above) they will just be the brotherhood.

So those are my reasons for believing that these religious terrorists are a changed brotherhood. What are your reasons for believing that it is a new organisation?

Don't. You'll just be disappointed. Expect the worst. Expect Kinvara to randomly flash Tyrion and Varys in the middle of her conversation. Hell, for all I know she's naked this entire time. I mean it makes sense. Westeros is cold, so even though Melisandre has got fire inside her she needs clothes sometimes. But in Essos it's so hot that there's no way these fiery priestesses can wear clothes.

Listen, the reality is that D&D's discussions on plot development are really just like Patrick Stewart on Extras.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uir5_extras-patrick-stewart-ricky-gervai_shortfilms

• 2 weeks later...

They really do play to lowest common dominator.

If this Kinvara is really about to become part of s6, mark my words, we'll see her naked.

Not that I would mind that, but D&D are becoming quite predictable with what they plan to do when they cast a random beautiful actress.

Ugh . . . this means Stannis really is dead. 

Not necessarily. The Boltons could've just spread the word without ever finding the body... Or so I would hope.

How about the red priestess Tyrion saw earlier...not too shabby.

Why don't they keep Rila Fukushima?  She was great this season. 

:agree:  Rila is also on the CW show Arrow (which I haven't seen), and she acted pretty well in The Wolverine (albeit a tad too stereotypical awkwardly polite Asian) 

I say give her a shot if the shooting for Arrow doesn't coincide with GoT filming.

Archived