ASOIF Guessing Game XVIII: Worst mistakes made by characters - guessing #16

Castellan

You are right, it may turn out to be the best thing that could have happened, but for the moment it seems more like a mistake to me. 

To Marsh and the Watch? I kinda doubt that... with a bunch of wildlings who like Jon and an angry giant...

I was going to post but I see not everyone has answered so I'll hold off. There seem to be three players who sent lists but haven't guessed and lil' ghost's answer seems to be under construction.

I didn't give a deadline when I posted the clue but it would be nice if the remaining people could post within about 24 hours from the date of this post.

Bowen Marsh plots against and tries to assassinate Jon.

30 points, on 2 lists - 16 and 14.

He's a small minded rule-follower and spoon counter,  able to build up a head of resentment, and attacks Jon rationalising that Jon is betraying the rules and traditions of the NW. (Well, he has a point, I believe Aemon and Jeor made that point to Jon when he was tempted to ride to join Robb, but I can't help feeling pettier emotions were at work too.)

Rankings

Julia H 5

Annara Snow 5

Grienog 5

Night'sQueen 3

lil ghost 3

Unwashed Unkempt Unshaven 3

JQC 0

Cashless Society 0

Clues are hard! I'll post one later.

Here it is:#19  In my view this mistake was predictable and the person is excused on account of age and circumstances, but nevertheless their mistake had irrevocable and tragic consequences.

1. Sansa lying that she didn't remember at the trial about the Trident incident

2. Sansa going to Cersei to ask for help and telling her of Ned's plans to send them back to Winterfell

3. Robb marrying Jeyne Westerling

Robb was the first thing I thought of, but on second thought, I don't know of that could be called predictable. Sansa refusing to take sides at the trial is the most predictable one, and it can be said to have irrevocable and tragic consequences if you believe that Robert wouldn't have otherwise allowed Cersei to have Lady killed (even though I'm not sure of that at all). Sansa going to Cersei was less predictable and it's more arguable whether it had direct tragic consequences - it depends on whether you believe Sansa, Arya and poor Jeyne would have otherwise gotten back to Winterfell before Cersei realized Ned was sending them home.

I'm just gonna go ahead and ruthlessly copy Annara's picks. Shame. :whip:

But the Sansa ones really make sense to me.

1) Sansa telling Cersei about Ned's plans to ship them away from KL

2) Sansa lying about what happened on the Trident

3) Robb marrying Jeyne

The one about Robb I'm not convinced by, he isn't really excused by anyone I can think of, but since I can't come up with anything better...  :dunno:

Archived