Introductions

Ran

Hey, I'm Jac. I'm British and a Med-student, and came here because I've gotten dangerously involved in Martin's series, love to spout my opnion and discuss anything and this seemed like the place. I was at Wotmania for a bit, but it's shutting now, and aSoIaF is better than WoT overall anyway, for me, now. Except Rand. Don't mess with Rand.

Intended and should have been my first post. (found by my legatees thereafter and published for fun.)

How do you do

I'm Dreadwolf. Well actually it's my nickname here. You can call me also Flame which should be the translation of my name in English.

I’m 41; still like fairy-tales and I started reading ASOIAF saga somewhere in 2002 IIRC (Innocently expecting at that time it was going to be 4 books all in all.)

Not too much fantasy books fans around me as a whole.

I also like good computer games but sigle games - not these web oriented.

I am great fan of ADD (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons) game system too.

I am to be pitied - since there weren’t good games from long time ago and as if the genre is dead.

The most probable reason should be I am growing old - the last good one I’ve played (well sometimes still going over and over again) is Baldur's Gate (series) – first game published still previous century the final one was released 2001. Well I still like some more archaic games. Their graphics are said to have been cut by a Dwarven Axe…

The other part of my life and interests – well it’s not exactly the Dark Side but it’s completely another story…

It's good to have such forums.

This one especially provides a lot of fun and pleasure and sometimes intriguing ideas to think about.

Some post are really brilliant to my taste and I enjoy most of all.

About the books: marvelous stuff that is worth reading. ASOIAF series, although unfinished still remains my favorite

(I mean in fantasy genre).

I see that almost all posters here have been reading the books so far published over and over again.

I myself am sworn one time reader only. (Mercy please! Spare the fool!) Moreover I've read the books translated.

(ACOK I re-read in English, though still wander how I dare - makes the only one exception)

Whenever I am reading I am almost all the time obsessed by the plot and very heavily concerned of my favorite characters’ fate. So note I am a quick reader too to exalt the bad effect.

Well may be not so clever but I like that way - just personal preferation.

And may be that's why after I came here i got that I had missed a lot of subtle details, hidden possibilities and so on.

Although it seems that almost everything about the series has been already discussed somewhere along the forum topics (and therefore I would doubtful significantly contribute) I might try posting more or less actively at a certain stage.

Well it becomes too long and may be boring and self oriented as well (too many "I" and "me").

Maybe (I) could be excused however, considering its (my) introduction in the long run.

Salute you

Written subsequently:

Call me Miss Nancy/ the pancy but I am seriously considering of a re-read :read: .

Hello all,

I'm mainly active on the Malazan Empire forum, but I've enjoyed all of ASOIAF to date and I'm eagerly anticipating the next instalment (but I guess that could be a touchy subject around here!)

I'm into rugby, cricket, bikes and music, and have recently become a Mafia addict which is a major reason I've hopped over here. Seems I've just missed a sign up though (it looks like it happens differently here) so I'll hang in for the next game.

I'm sure I'll see many of you around...

I've been putting off joining the forums because I haven't read Feast for Crows yet and didn't want to run into any spoilers...but since I've already been spoiled on the fate of my favorite character thanks to my irresistible nosiness around the WiC site, might as well join in here!

I flew through the first three books of the series last winter, and loved them so much I wanted to s l o w d o w n and wait a bit before reading the fourth. I like to read my doorstopper fantasies in the winter, so I'm trying to hold out for a few more months. Trying.

I'm a dabbler in many arts, a student, compulsive writer, vegetarian, listener of heavy and/or strange music...lover of: psychology, philosophy, rational science-based skepticism as well as imagination-based magic & foolishness, DIY/self sufficient culture, animals, the Sun, the Ocean, the Forest, and hiking, which I do plenty of near my home in New England, where I am happily surrounded by books, more books, notebooks, sketchbooks, comic books, and occasionally a cookbook, when I remember to feed myself.

Well met to all of you! :cheers:

Edited by Brighid

Hello! I'm Jas, longtime fan of the books. Just recently I've decided to reread them for the first time, and so far I'm enjoying the experience of "watching what happens" again now that I know what will happen later.

This is my favorite series of fantasy books, and may be my favorite books period. I'm planning on subscribing to HBO for no other reason than to watch the show once it starts.

I've frequented GRRM's blog in the past but it's not exactly a fan forum, so I'm looking forward to getting involved here.

Other than that, I'm 37, happily married with 2 young daughters, love to ski in real life and win Super Bowls with the Packers in make-believe Xbox land. I've also played World of Warcraft regularly since it launched, though it's growing stale lately, and I look forward to an inevitable Song of Ice and Fire game.

So yeah, long time reader, first time poster, love the story, go Packers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm new! After lurking for all of two days, I had to join.

Name's Meg. I just recently got into the series about a month ago, am almost finished the first 4 books, and am in love with them. Thank goodness for long train rides to work! My name is a combination of my favourite character (bet you'd never guess that) and my favourite hobbie, fox hunting. But don't worry, I'm in the US and in our version, the foxes don't get hurt (Perhaps they should call it fox following here...). I'm a busy girl, I work full time, am working on a Masters in Environmental Biology and applying for my PhD, and train horses in my spare time (what spare time?). I also to ski, hike, cook, and collect ridiculous things (capes, fancy hats, vintage clothes, books...etc). In addition to ASoIaF, my favourite books include the Kushiel's Legacy Series and the Sundering byt Jacqueline Carey and Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, but I'll read anything from fantasy to historical fiction to natural history/essays to biolgraphies. And obviously scientific papers. ;)

Hope to soon become a regular poster!

Hello everyone!

I started with AGoT last year, but I'm only finishing the series now. Reading the books while on the ferry to work/home is always the highlight of my day.

I was introduced to GRMM years and years ago, when I was a lit major. I had a roommate who hated reading (!) so I helped her with her report by reading and summarizing The Portraits of His Children in exchange for coffee and dinner. (There was also Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory. The exchange was cake. Good cake. Am I cheap? Hahah.) Anyway Portraits was one of the best novellas I've ever read so I'm glad I helped out.

I read a lot of things. I'm rediscovering Sf/f again, after spending like 2 years reading scandinavian detective fiction (among other things). I like to cook and I listen mostly to indiepop/rock stuff. I collect vinyl records. I work for a newspaper and right now, my literary hero is Seymour Hersh. He's a journalist and a muckraker and he wrote arresting pieces that changed people. :thumbsup:

This forum looks/reads mighty fun (the knowledge of the people here is amazing and quite intimidating :) ) and I hope we could be friends here. :cheers:

Edited by eyelesbarrow

• 2 weeks later...

*waves* Hey all!

Yet another newbie joining the ranks... I just got into ASoIaF a few months back because my boss was lugging around the paperback of AGoT - the bright orange cover caught my eye, so I asked him about it and grabbed myself a copy. Spent my summer hooked on the series and have since caught up... so now I feel everyone's pain regarding the wait, heh.

When I first stumbled upon the site, I was pretty daunted by the level of analysis and breadth of knowledge regarding ASoIaF here... but now I'm definitely looking forward to re-reading the books after having checked out quite a few of the discussion topics. Maybe once I've gone through the first 4 volumes a couple of times, I'll actually feel ready enough to participate. ;)

I actually haven't been an active fantasy reader in a long time (as in, I read children's/young adult fantasy as a kid and was a big fan of Gaiman in high school) and have never had much of a taste for high fantasy, but Martin's unique brand of stuff is just too good. Also, I've only recently rekindled my passion for reading for fun in general - got burnt out by school and kept myself occupied with other media, but then I decided to get back into SF - LeGuin's Hainish Cycle mainly brought me back around to books. :P

So yeah - that other media I like to waste my time with? Video games (fighting games mostly, I love having local get-togethers and the friendly ribbing that usually comes about), television (there's some excellent scripted shows out there, despite the networks' best efforts to kill it *cough* Jay Leno *cough*), and sequential art (mostly manga and DC comics). I've also dabbled in art and design for as long as I can remember, so I work on digital drawings/paintings and web design when I can.

Cheers!

Edited by ExMachina

Hey guys and gals! I'm Andy from good ol' Belfast! :D

Just been introduced to this whole world cause of the TV series being filmed here - havent read the books yet (but ive ordered A Game Of Thrones and will get to work on it when it arrives!)

btw...I LOVE heavy metal :D

Hey guys and gals! I'm Andy from good ol' Belfast! :D

Just been introduced to this whole world cause of the TV series being filmed here - havent read the books yet (but ive ordered A Game Of Thrones and will get to work on it when it arrives!)

btw...I LOVE heavy metal :D

Welcome! :) For the love of all that is holy, get the hell away from this entire board until you have read the books. There are spoilers EVERYWHERE (even in people's usernames) here, and there are some things in the books that shouldn't be spoiled -- it just totally ruins the impact. Once you're done with AFFC, you're golden.

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

Welcome! :) For the love of all that is holy, get the hell away from this entire board until you have read the books. There are spoilers EVERYWHERE (even in people's usernames) here, and there are some things in the books that shouldn't be spoiled -- it just totally ruins the impact. Once you're done with AFFC, you're golden.

I'll go one step further and say that the spoilers are here even after you read the books.

meh...I dont care about spoilers tbh lol but cheers for the warning!.....glad to know you care *wipes away a tear* :smug:

Ah I should have posted here first. I guess my 58th better then none.

My background in ASOIAF:

I'm a nerd at heart and up fornt (which I'm sure makes me stand out here :-P) I found GRRm's stories, I think, by seeing somoeone cite Rolling Stones "Realist politics in Lord of the Rings" review which intrigued me. I downloaded it onto my knidle and got through 2.5 books before my kindle died somehow (Yes it stopped a little before the red wedding). I got it back, but not before I gave into temptation and surfed the wikipedia.

I got a replacment kindle just in time to go drop my brother off at college-with the result that I am cursing and yelling at Robb for half the car ride. I was halfway threw AFFC when I was thinking about Jon for some reason and the idea of Rhaegar and Lyanna clicked with me. I googled it when I came home and was half disspainted, half happy to find the old thread on here (dissapointed I wasn't the first to think of it, happy that I'm not nuts for thinking so). Awesome books, I'm going to reread them soon, but I don't want to have to go threw the Ned storyline again :(.

About me:

I'm in grad school (using this post to procrastinate from stats), a politics and history junkie (so you can see why ASOIAF would appeal to me) and I love putting asides in parranthesis (could ya tell?).I have a good sense of humor and a bit of a sarcastic streak. I am an avid reader, so if anyone has good suggestiosn for books similiar to ASOIAF please let me know, But I already tried WOT. Got 50 pages in or so and tossed it away. I loved I, Claudius and read it in high school.

Thanks for providing this great board and here's drink (not really-in the library) to GRRM finishing ADWD...tomorrow.

Well I can hope...

P.S. I wrote this in IE. I usually use FF with its spell checker. No spell checker on this. My apoligies.

Edited by cravenravenkeeper

*waves* Hey all!

When I first stumbled upon the site, I was pretty daunted by the level of analysis and breadth of knowledge regarding ASoIaF here... but now I'm definitely looking forward to re-reading the books after having checked out quite a few of the discussion topics. Maybe once I've gone through the first 4 volumes a couple of times, I'll actually feel ready enough to participate. ;)

...Cheers!

Wellcome.

As I am also a cub-poster here - I am hardly in a position to advise you.

And yes the great majority of posters has astonishing ASOAF knowledge and amazing journalistic style and publicistic skills. And I know its strictly individual but still please do not postpone your more pro-active participating. It's great fun and I will wait for your contribution... :cheers:

Hello westeros.org,

I've been a time-to-time lurker here now for a couple of months and thought its time to register. I'm a "new" fan of the series, have been introduced by a friend a couple of month ago, bought AGOT, finished it within 3 days and imediately bought the rest of the series. i'm currently reading the last chapters of AFFC, as i was kind of "delaying" it a bit as i hoped that GRRM will finish the new book until september...well, i guess that was a bit naive. but anyway, i have to re-read it anyway, as i have read the german translation only, and as there will be the TV series (propably) i want to get used to the original english terms anyway, so...

Yeah, generally: My name is Peter, i live near vienna in austria, 27 years old, besides ASOIAF my big passion is music - listening pretty much everyting from classic rock to death metal and in between, and i'm a big guitar and amplification "nerd".

Hopefully i have something to contribute to this nice baord. :)

Hello all

I've been here for a bit now but not nearly long enough. I am very big into historical fiction and fantasy and one of my best friends and I got hooked on ASOIAF together, needless to say he's the coolest guy I know :smoking: . That being said, my name is Adam, I'm Canadian and Stark loyalist, newly turned 19 and legal, and in university. The combination of being bar age, my love of ASOIAF, and this forum is slowly destroying my very minimal work ethic and by the time GRRM finishes the series I will likely be yet another unemployed Arts graduate :) . That being said, it is worthwhile to note that I enjoy arguing, whether I believe what I am arguing or not so try not to take me too personally.

P.S. since I'm on a fantasy board I'd like to declare my long-standing love of the Harry Potter series. There, I'm out of the closet :)

Well...hello?

New, Norwegian, 17-year old member here, just finished A Feast for Crows and am immensly in love with the series. I've read a fair bit of fantasy beforehand, but ASoIaF is miles ahead of anything else in the genre (with the only possible challenger being Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series).

That's about it, I'll round off with some trivia:

I'm a huge football fan, the club in my heart being AS Roma.

I'm very inclined towards Italian music, especially Fabrizio de Andre (from which my username derives).

If "travellingophile" is a word...then that's me. Favoured destination being the British Isles and Italy.

So, see you guys around on the forum!