Introductions

Ran

I've been here since start of December, but I'll still introduce myself. I am a guy from northern Finland in Europe, who has been lurking here for years. Other than that, I like swimming in 4 ft snow, reading, fishing and running.

Welcome to Westeros!! :cheers:

Nice to see another Finn on the boards. The ones I've met so far haven't stayed around.

Long time lurker, made my account last month. Stopping in to say hi before the Long Night envelops me and the rest of the northeast US.

Welcome to Westeros! :cheers:

I'm in VT and it looks like we'll be on the edge of the storm. You in NYC & vicinity? If so be careful: "winter is coming". :lol:

Welcome to Westeros! :cheers:

I'm in VT and it looks like we'll be on the edge of the storm. You in NYC & vicinity? If so be careful: "winter is coming". :lol:

Yeah I recently moved to Long island and still teach in the city. It already looks "north of the wall" outside my window.

You things are dire when Kings Landing (aka NYC) looks like north of the wall. :P

This is a stupid topic that I have spent Way Too Much Time thinking about. What are the USA equivalents of Westerosi locations? NYC is too big and cold to be King's Landing, but Oldtown is west coast and White Harbor is too small. Taking into account relative geography, size, and nature, this is what I came up with.

Boston- White Harbor

NYC- Dragonstone

Washington DC- King Landing

Miami- Sunspear

Los Angeles- Oldtown (ugh, LA is stupid but where else?)

Someday (tomorrow's snow day?) I want to draw up a US map version of the 7 kingdoms (even though I'm sure its been done). The Chesapeake region as the riverlands has a nice ring to it.

This is a stupid topic that I have spent Way Too Much Time thinking about. What are the USA equivalents of Westerosi locations? NYC is too big and cold to be King's Landing, but Oldtown is west coast and White Harbor is too small. Taking into account relative geography, size, and nature, this is what I came up with.

Boston- White Harbor

NYC- Dragonstone

Washington DC- King Landing

Miami- Sunspear

Los Angeles- Oldtown (ugh, LA is stupid but where else?)

Someday (tomorrow's snow day?) I want to draw up a US map version of the 7 kingdoms (even though I'm sure its been done). The Chesapeake region as the riverlands has a nice ring to it.

:lol:

That's funny.

My thought is that if I was English, London would be the obvious KL and all the others would fall into place. (Cambridge = the Citadel/Oldtown). If you're French is Paris your KL or Marseilles?

Your list makes sense. :)

eta

If anybody has done a map of North America as Westeros, I have not heard of it.

I think you might have more luck comparing the UK to Westeros, though. For one thing Martin drew inspiration for the main story in ASOIAF from the English War of the Roses from what I have read.

Not sure NA fits into the story at all.

Edited by honeyed chicken

Welcome to all the newcomers to the board. :D

Long time lurker, made my account last month. Stopping in to say hi before the Long Night envelops me and the rest of the northeast US.

Good luck to all concerned during the storm. Stay safe and warm throughout. :cheers:

Hey, i'm Hunter. I'm very interested in the ASOIAF series and the Tv Show. I'm on book 3 at the moment, but i'll be going onto AFFC soon. been looking for somewhere to socialize and discuss Game of thrones related topics, so i'm up to chat with anyone

Welcome to Westeros, Hunter!! :cheers:

Always nice to greet a new visitor to the place.

In case you have not been warned, till you finish all five books, much of Westeros will contain spoilers for you. You may want to stick to the "still reading" threads. For me, I actually sought out wikipedia and other descriptions of the plot so I knew what was coming before I read it - I prefer reading that way, but few people do.

Once you have read all the books, there are a ton of activities and games as well as discussions about the characters and there are various theories and etc. you can get into. :)

Welcome to Westeros, Hunter!! :cheers:

Always nice to greet a new visitor to the place.

In case you have not been warned, till you finish all five books, much of Westeros will contain spoilers for you. You may want to stick to the "still reading" threads. For me, I actually sought out wikipedia and other descriptions of the plot so I knew what was coming before I read it - I prefer reading that way, but few people do.

Once you have read all the books, there are a ton of activities and games as well as discussions about the characters and there are various theories and etc. you can get into. :)

Cheers mate.

Yea, i found out very early on that the Internet is full of spoilers, but there have been no problems so far :).

I follow a few theories, but besides that I will steer clear of anything too full of spoilers, although I also agree that it's sometimes better to know what's coming before reading about it.

I should be done with the books soon enough, and I look forward to everything you have listed when I do!

Thanks again for the welcome :)

Absolutely! I intent to re-read the books as well, but since I just finished them, I'll still wait and read a few other books in the meantime. But I definitely intent to re-read them before TWOW will be released. ;)

Thank you very much! :) And thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check TTNE and the forum games out. :)

When I finished A Dance With Dragons I was like "Noooo, what will I read now?!", but luckily for me I received a ton of books for Christmas - 3 Sherlock Holmes books, which I've nearly finished and all the Hunger Games books. When I've read all that I think I might already be ready to start re-reading the ASOIAF books!

PS Do check out TTTNE if you have time. :)

Hey, i'm Hunter. I'm very interested in the ASOIAF series and the Tv Show. I'm on book 3 at the moment, but i'll be going onto AFFC soon. been looking for somewhere to socialize and discuss Game of thrones related topics, so i'm up to chat with anyone

Hi Hunter, welcome! If you're about to start A Feast for Crows, you might want to know: the pace does slow down rather suddenly after A Storm of Swords, which is probably the most action packed of the series. Not to give away any spoilers or anything, I just wish I'd known that when I started it as I was quite disappointed at first.

When I finished A Dance With Dragons I was like "Noooo, what will I read now?!", but luckily for me I received a ton of books for Christmas - 3 Sherlock Holmes books, which I've nearly finished and all the Hunger Games books. When I've read all that I think I might already be ready to start re-reading the ASOIAF books!

PS Do check out TTTNE if you have time. :)

Hi Hunter, welcome! If you're about to start A Feast for Crows, you might want to know: the pace does slow down rather suddenly after A Storm of Swords, which is probably the most action packed of the series. Not to give away any spoilers or anything, I just wish I'd known that when I started it as I was quite disappointed at first.

Thanks for the heads up man, good to know.