Terrorist Attacks in France, Tunisia and Kuwait

HexMachina

So you would say you have properly answered the question "Would you describe these extremes as balanced? Are there violent assaults against muslim minorities of a similar scope and viciousness?" with the link you provided :)?

Everybody has a different perspective on what is or isn't balanced. All I did was supply an article with some information; make up your own mind.

That said, I do find those attacks despicable on their own, just as I found the Charlie Hebdo attack. And it's playing directly in the hands of the extremists if they can see themselves as being persecuted.

We also shouldn't forget that the vast majority of terrorist attacks in e.g. Germany (or the US, for that matter) have been committed by right wing extremists. not by Islamists. But somehow, the specter of terrorism is always raised in connection with Salafist groups, not with Neo-Nazis.

Thank you very much!

ETA: After reading up on this, nobody was even injured, right? So it’s not really what I was soliciting. I was asking for a balanced reaction, such as massacring 12 muslims. That would be something to legitimately worry about in this context.

You're right in that there are no widespread attacks on muslims within western countries as a result of terrorist attacks. And there wouldn't be, given the relative stability of those places.

I see it as more of a vicious circle where past/current invasions of middle eastern countries result in a much greater number of terrorist attacks anywhere else. This isn't an attempt to justify these attacks, just my opinion on the vague cause and effect chain here.

But I agree that this thread should primarily talk about the victims of these attacks. Complaining about Islamophobia when people were murdered by fundamentalist attackers is baiting.

We also shouldn't forget that the vast majority of terrorist attacks in e.g. Germany (or the US, for that matter) have been committed by right wing extremists. not by Islamists. But somehow, the specter of terrorism is always raised in connection with Salafist groups, not with Neo-Nazis.

Open a thread if you want to discuss right wing terrorism. I will gladly contribute.

This is the thread about tourists butchered on a strand in Tunisia while sunbathing and about people butchered in a house of god while praying.

The violence of Islamic extremists is undoubtedly one of the most widespread and vicious ones, which is why they might be associated with terrorism more often than other violent groups.

EDIT forgot to quote the post to which I reply.

Everybody has a different perspective on what is or isn't balanced. All I did was supply an article with some information; make up your own mind.

That said, I do find those attacks despicable on their own, just as I found the Charlie Hebdo attack. And it's playing directly in the hands of the extremists if they can see themselves as being persecuted.

Every time I read something like that I get a bit angry. It may be correct for germany (mostly not due to our wise politics but due to luck) but it ain't true for the US. Unless you just count every instance. And doing that rightwing and islamic terrorism is just a blimb in the ocean of leftwing end enviromentalist "terrorism". (Granted if you take the entire history of the BRD that would actually be true and honest due to the RAF but thats not the point)

But there is a differance between destruction of property and killing people. Both is bad, but the later is by far worse. 2000 persons killed is simply worse than 20 persons killed or 2 persons or even nobody killed.

The point is, that the death toll of islamic terrorism just dwarfens everything else in the last 20 years. Be it in the western world or globally. Thats why there is this focus. And to simply ignore that or trying to deflect it, is quite a dangerous approach in my book. Because if you deny the obvious long enough, people won't even believe you if the things you claim a obviously true.

The violence of Islamic extremists is undoubtedly one of the most widespread and vicious ones, which is why they might be associated with terrorism more often than other violent groups.

EDIT forgot to quote the post to which I reply.

And yet speculating on the reasons WHY Islamist violence is so widespread is taboo among the PC left, unless it somehow involves blaming the victim

Would you describe these extremes as balanced?

No, of course not.

An advice for you: focus on what happened in Kuweit, Tunisia and France which by the way is the topic of this thread and please safe your speculation about future hate crimes against muslims for another thread.

Let's focus on crimes which happened RIGHT NOW and keep the fantasy stuff out.

When and if those hate crimes you speculate about indeed happen, then lets speak about it. At this stage and in this thread, statements like yours are absolutely inappropriate. But of course thats just my opinion.

My post was meant as a response to your question about why the "islamophobia alarm" is necessary and i tried to give you a better reason than ignorant social media comments. You guys don't think that's legitimate, fine. I don't think discussing the reactions to terrorist attacks are inappropriate, however, because they are sort of the point. It's intended to provoke and intimidate.

I should've quoted you, to be honest. I apologize for the derail, though, that wasn't really my intention

Speaking about France attack, last reports say the terrorist was a lone wolf who wasn't even able to read arab (he mistaken a random quran quote with daesh flag).

Doesn't make it less horrible, but makes rather unlikely there was well organized coordination with other attacks (although it remains possible, as he was on a police list of people having contacts with a salafist iman).

Police has arrested his wife and one of his friends, but it's too early to say if they knew anything.

Holy hell, the Islam apologetics in this thread are disgusting.

If Nazis went out and killed a bunch of Jews tomorrow, would we be treated to the same asinine warnings about "Germanophobia"??

That's not even close to being the same thing. If a very small group Germans, who are neo Nazis killed some Jews, and the Germans were already a stigmatised people, and it was highly likely that many innocent Germans would be attacked and possibly killed for this act which they did not support and in which they had no part, then yes, we would say the same thing. I think what's truly disgusting is your hatred/dislike for Muslims, and the fact that you view us as somehow less than other people, which you've proven not just in this thread but countless before.

I think what's truly disgusting is your hatred/dislike for Muslims, and the fact that you view us as somehow less than other people, which you've proven not just in this thread but countless before.

Uh, what?

I make no bones about my dislike for Islam and its current impact on the world, but that is not the same as "hating Muslims" or viewing them as "less than other people." Just as hating Nazism does not mean one hates Germans.

If your religion plays a major role in motivating widespread, brutal violence (not to mention misogyny, homophobia, etc.), your religion is going to be viewed in a negative light.

That's not even close to being the same thing. If a very small group Germans, who are neo Nazis killed some Jews, and the Germans were already a stigmatised people, and it was highly likely that many innocent Germans would be attacked and possibly killed for this act which they did not support and in which they had no part, then yes, we would say the same thing. I think what's truly disgusting is your hatred/dislike for Muslims, and the fact that you view us as somehow less than other people, which you've proven not just in this thread but countless before.

If Europe did erupt in ethno-religious conflict after every Islamic atrocity, with fatal results for muslims, then you and the OP might have a point. But Europe doesn't.

I'm struggling to think of far right attacks on muslims that approach the scale and savagery of Islamist attacks on Europeans (and Americans). Certainly in the UK there's been nothing like the 2005 train bombing, or the Charlie Hebdo massacre, directed against the muslim population. There was one elderly muslim killed by a Ukrainian migrant eager to start a race war, as I recall, but that's been the limit of far right reprisals which entailed fatal consequences in the UK. Going by the numbers white Europeans are more at risk from anti-muslim feeling than muslims are (Anders Behring Breivik).

If Europe did erupt in ethno-religious conflict after every Islamic atrocity, with fatal results for muslims, then you and the OP might have a point. But Europe doesn't.I'm struggling to think of far right attacks on muslims that approach the scale and savagery of Islamist attacks on Europeans (and Americans). Certainly in the UK there's been nothing like the 2005 train bombing, or the Charlie Hebdo massacre, directed against the muslim population. There was one elderly muslim killed by a Ukrainian migrant eager to start a race war, as I recall, but that's been the limit of far right reprisals which entailed fatal consequences in the UK. Going by the numbers white Europeans are more at risk from anti-muslim feeling than muslims are (Anders Behring Breivik).

Indeed. Worrying about "Islamophobia" whenever some Islamist nut jobs kill people seems weird to me.

Archived