BRAN’S GROWING POWERS AFTER his FINAL POV in ADwD

evita mgfs

Welcome! Please help me find more evidences of Bran’s progression as a greenseer beyond his POVs, which end, ironically, by returning Bran and the readers to the beginning, Bran’s first POV in AGoT. Both his first and last POVs share commonalities, specifically Bran attending executions.

Bran’s POV’s gradually become fewer and grow farther apart over the five of seven completed novels promised in George R. R. Martin’s series A Song of Ice and Fire. A good way to illustrate this is through comparing the number and frequency of Bran’s multiple POV’s in the first novel A Game of Thrones with the most recently published fifth novel A Dance with Dragons, in which Bran’s last POV appears not even halfway through the novel.

Martin invites A Song of Ice and Fire readers especially to hunt elsewhere in ADwD and the gift chapters from The Winds of Winter to find intimations of the newest, greenest of the greenseer’s growing powers.

Those POV’s Martin attributes to Theon, or to his nom deplumes - the Prince of Winterfell, the Turncloak, and the Ghost in Winterfell - teem with Bran’s presence as he exercises his green-magic powers, many of which Martin suggests in Bran’s lessons with greenseer Bloodraven and the representative Singer(s) who Bran and Meera call Leaf.

One of many examples is that Bran learns to use the ravens [among other means] to speak. Martin demonstrates Bran’s progress, from “screams” to words.

BR teaches and Bran learns to fly. But when Bran attempts to speak employing the raven’s voice, he screams:

“When he [bran] tried to speak, it came out in a scream” (ADwD 450).

In Theon’s POVs to follow, a raven opines its dissatisfaction with events by punctuating them with a scream.

On Ramsay’s wedding night, when he begins his degradation of his bride and Reek, a raven in the godswood “screams”.

In The Turncloak, when Theon walks the walls of Winterfell, he finds himself in what had been Maester Luwin’s rookery, a raven issues a “scream” of guarded welcome.

“. . . ravens looked down . . . muttering to one another. From time to time, one let out a raucous scream” (540).

Later, a raven speaks the name “Theon” and another the word “Tree”.

Very nice job! It's interesting that these screams are coming from the mouth of birds. There are a lot of references to Bran-As-A-Bird throughout ASOIAF, especially in AGOT Bran II. From the way Bran is said to perch on the walls of WF, to it just being Bran and the birds who knows the secrets of WF, to the Old Nan Icarus story that Bran then "reenacts" (with Jaime Lannister's help) to some other ones, Bran is likened to a bird quite a bit. And later the basket Hodor carries Bran is a like a bird's cage.

HOMERIC CONVENTIONS: DIVINE INSPIRATION

Athena divinely inspires Odysseus WITHOUT skinchanging with him. Bran’s powers will move well beyond needing to share another’s skin in order to persuade him or her to take action.

In Homer’s great epics, the immortal gods and goddesses regularly interfere in the lives of their favorite mortals.

(and not so favorite mortals) Basically they are all up in everyone's business.

As for Bran and Theon, it's a good argument that Bran is influencing Theon with his divine-ish whispers. But to what end? For Athena and Odysseus, it's to get the King of Ithica home (cause all manner of hell hath broken loose). There's an end game that Athena is in favor of, in other words. Bran may not have an end game given that he's new to this whole situation, so we have to wonder what Bloodraven's endgame is since he is directing Bran. There might be an argument somewhere that Bran has to help Reek transform back into Theon so that Theon could be offered up in sacrifice for his King's Blood. While blood is blood no matter what your name is, it would be poetic (not to mention tragic) that Theon's blood while he is Reek would not work (since identity is such a HUGE part of ASOIAF) but Theon having come back to himself as Theon is what allows his king's blood to work, for whatever purpose. Not quite sure it's what's going to happen since I tend to think that there is another figure who's King's blood is going to be useful for what most people ascribe to Theon but....always possible.

I think Theon is George's way of handling the Oedipius myth. Theon is our Oedipius parallel.
Raised away from his home
Had great daddy issues with both Ned and Balon.
Attempted to commit unintended incest with "Esgred"
The younger miller's boy was probably his, so there we have the unintended kinslaying
Ruled in his late "father"s place
Paid heavy price for his sins and crimes
I think as a final phase of his transformation, Theon will be blinded (by the Weeper at the Wall). Because of his broken mind, he was already very susceptible to the supernatural. After the blinding, I expect him to be fully open to Bran's revelations. I expect a raven or two standing on his shoulders and serving as his eyes (along with Bran's). This way, he will turn into a prophet of Bran.
As the prophet of Bran, one thing Theon will do is to go to the Iron Islands and nullify the decisions of the last kingsmoots like Torgon the Latecomer did once. Then, he will warn the ironborn to leave the Old Way for the "Drowned God" would surely destroy them. Aeron will insist on his folly as the priest-king and Bran will destroy Pyke with a Hammer of Waters. There are subtle foreshadowing for this scenario.

That is full of awesome right there.

There are some other Theban cycle parallels, not to distract from the purpose of the thread as a whole, though.

You've got "Esgred" as the unintentional incest and I agree since she's obviously Asha. But I also think Asha serves as a bit of a Antigone figure. The Oedipus cycle (the most well known cycle at least) by Sophocles is three plays. After Oedipus's fall from grace and his blinding, Thebes is plunged into Civil War. You have two of Oedipus's sons--Etocles and Polynieces--fighting it out for the right to sit their father's throne. It's a very bloody battle and they end up dying on each others swords (naturally). The two brothers were supposed to share in the rule but....yeah, no, that obviously wasn't going to happen. It's not a perfect parallel but you could make the case that this akin to Victarion and Euron, both of whom have a good claim to the throne (Vic by way of birth and Euron by way of charisma) and are fighting for the Throne because Theon has "vanished" from the picture much like Oedipus who is very much alive but has left Thebes in order to pay for his crimes. Euron and Vic are probably going to come to some sort of blows, should Vic make it back from Essos.

As for Asha, she's a bit more of an Antigone figure. Bold, stubborn, outspoken, she defies her uncle Creon's orders because she's not meek and passive. Sound familiar? Now in the play she's Oedipus's daughter but the parallels don't have to be exact for it to work. Her story is that she's defying the law in order to honor her fallen brother who is being denied his rights to a proper burial. When Asha learns that Theon is alive, might she not try to set him on the Seastone Chair (which is Theon's by right of birth over Vic and over Euron's charisma) in defiance of all her uncles?

If Theon is a good prophet, Bran could help sit him on on the Chair since, generally speaking, if you serve the gods well you are rewarded. Tiresias is blinded for his impiety (by Hera) but given the gift of sight by Zeus; Odysseus has to wander the earth for a long time but is helped along the way by Athena. It adds to Theon being the "godly man" since Bran's status as Old God is becoming solidified. Isn't there an old grove of weirwoods on Pyke somewhere (Nagga's bones?)

When Lady Dustin breaks open the crypts, the hinges on the door SCREAM. Before that, the intensity of the snowfall increases as Lady D and Theon arrive at the crypt’s entrance. Bran has himself little temper tantrum!

OK – I will shut myself up! I look forward to your assessment of my wild assertions – you are objective and a guiding voice of reason.

And in “my book”, you are a SUPERSTAR!

Wow Never thought about this before

Wow this was great.

i wonder if the skinchanging to another person has to be done to someone that has a broken mind eg..hodor and theon (if your theory is true). I wonder if this is foreshadowing of patchface also being entered into by a skinchanger because he also has a broken mind by being drowned with melisandre saying shes afraid of him.

anyways that was awesome.

“WORDS ARE WIND”

Bran attends the wedding of Ramsay Bolton and “fake” Arya by watching through the eyes of the weirwood, from which he observes the mummer’s farce of a marriage. It is Theon who notices the heart tree’s expression, presenting a far different countenance from the “long and melancholy” features  it wears in scenes depicted in AGoT.

Suddenly he did not want to be here.

Once outside the godswood, the cold descended on him like a ravening wolf had caught him in its teeth.  He lowered his head into the wind and made for the Great Hall, hastening after the long line of candles and torches.  Ice crunches beneath his boots, and a sudden gust pushed back his hood as if a ghost had plucked at him with frozen fingers, hungry to gaze upon his face” (489).

Martin describes the “cold” descending upon Theon “like a ravening wolf had caught him in its teeth.”  The simile comparing the cold to a wolf definitely suggests a very STARK influence in the godswood.  The airy force which is commanded by Bran seemingly taunts Theon in a mischievous way that definitely hints at Bran.

Note that a “sudden gust” [of wind], which IS Bran, pushes back Theon’s hood as “if a ghost had plucked at him with frozen fingers” and the ghost is “hungry to gaze upon his face.”

I cannot help wondering if the WIND is a force that is part of Bran’s powers and that Bran, either consciously or unconsciously, is governing IT to a purpose.

The oft-repeated expression “words are wind” takes on a deeper meaning IF the powers that are the old gods are, or will be using the wind to cause problems with drifting snows, as we see at Winterfell, the Wall, and Stannis’ army’s location.

Firstly, hi evita !  Really great thread, and a quick thumbs up for your posts on the forum, I enjoy your thoughts.

Now...., searching for evidence.  I highlighted Bran attending the wedding above, and the awesome scene of the wind seemingly playing with Theon outside the Godswood.  There was of course another wedding a few chapters later involving Alys Karstark and the Magnar of Thenn, so I went and checked out that chapter and found this passage straight away.....

'' All praise R'hllor, the Lord of Light.'' the wedding guests answered in a ragged chorus before a 'gust' of ice cold wind blew their words away.  Jon Snow raised the hood of his cloak.............

'' ......but the wind was blowing from the east along the Wall, cold as the breath of the Ice dragon in the tales Old Nan used to tell.......... '' Only Ghost seemed not to feel the chill.''  [ Jon X, ADWD.]

I thought the bold text sat very nicely with your ideas/thread, 'words are wind' indeed.  Anyway, your analysis on Theon's godswood scene mentions the cold descending and Stark imagery, the language being important.  I feel we may have this here. 

The cold descending is perhaps  - ice cold winds - Only Ghost not feeling it - the whole chapter seems extra cold with people mentioning it.

The Stark imagery is the Ice Dragon, this makes sense in light of it being Jon's chapter, but also Old Nan's tales, which bring back memories of Bran.  

This is only a few chapters after the godswood scene with Theon.  And this scene is at the very beginning of the chapter, and seems to set the stage for Bran's possible presence throughout.  There are a couple of mentions of 'gusts' of wind after this, one of which is right in the middle of the marriage ceremony itself......

'' A 'gust' of wind lifted the red woman's scarlet skirts till she pressed them down again.''  [ Jon X, ADWD.]            Easy there 'Mel Monroe'.    :P  

However, not nearly as much textual evidence/description in this instance, and one must be careful not to think every bit of breeze/mist/fog is Bran or BR.  Is it the case then, that perhaps once a presence [ Bran/BR ] has been identified early in the chapter with the textual links, that the wind, [in this case], could represent them throughout said chapter ?  Or is it simply the word 'gust' is our hint for Bran's appearance ?  Dependant on the nature of the text I suppose.  I prefer the former, but.....  :dunno:

Anyway, what do you think ?  Perhaps some interesting links ?  :)

Note in ADwD, when Lady Dustin’s retainers break open the crypts, the door “hinges screaming” (544) as if in disapproval.

Right, the screaming.  This is all great work btw, well done, anyway.......

Same chapter, I found this passage when Jon visits the Karstark prisoner in one of the ice cells.......

'' Rusted hinges screamed like damned souls when Wick Wittlestick yanked the door wide enough for Jon to slip through.......

Jon Snow could see his own reflection dimly inside the icy walls.''  [ Jon X, ADWD.]

Screamed like damned souls, that's intense.  Cregan Karstark and Wick Wittlestick are present, Cregan certainly seems damned, he's staying locked up.  And Wick's soul may well be damned with what he ended up doing to Jon.  But anyway, far greater minds than mine can perhaps shed more light on this description, if it means that much at all.

However, we have another set of hinges screaming.  Yay!   ^_^

But my thoughts immediately went to the fact that surely just any old hinges wouldn't and shouldn't do, there has to be a catalyst or an 'avenue in' so to speak.  As evita has demonstrated there is a connection to the crypts which explains Bran's presence.  And the Weirwood tree for the godswood.  So that got me thinking.  Jon is there, and it's his P.O.V, that seems plausible.  But also there's the Wall, the wind was blowing along the wall earlier to perhaps signify Bran's presence, perhaps the magic of the Wall on top of Jon's presence is letting Bran/BR tap into these sources.  If so, the ice cells could be under their watchful gaze also.  Or is Bran able to appear anywhere, anytime ?  The mind boggles, very cool !

A couple of thoughts on Jon X, hopefully helpful.  I re-read Theon's sample chapter off the back of your thread, lot's to talk about in there !  Not only the minor tip of the hat you gave the chapter in the OP, also a couple of other thought provoking moments.  But as you mentioned up thread, perhaps a little spoilery.  Thanks for your hard work on this, bravo.      :D  

These are wonderful observations and I agree. I think the crown jewel of Theon's transformation by Bran is this piece:

The night was windless, the snow drifting straight down out of a cold black sky, yet the leaves of the heart tree were rustling his name. “Theon,” they seemed to whisper, “Theon.”
The old gods, he thought. They know me. They know my name. I was Theon of House Greyjoy. I was a ward of Eddard Stark, a friend and brother to his children. “Please.” He fell to his knees. “A sword, that’s all I ask. Let me die as Theon, not as Reek.” Tears trickled down his cheeks, impossibly warm. “I was ironborn. A son … a son of Pyke, of the islands.”
A leaf drifted down from above, brushed his brow, and landed in the pool. It floated on the water, red, five-fingered, like a bloody hand. “… Bran,” the tree murmured.

That leaf brushing Theon's face is like a gentle and forgiving caress.

I think Theon is George's way of handling the Oedipius myth. Theon is our Oedipius parallel. 

Raised away from his home
Had great daddy issues with both Ned and Balon.
Attempted to commit unintended incest with "Esgred"
The younger miller's boy was probably his, so there we have the unintended kinslaying
Ruled in his late "father"s place
Paid heavy price for his sins and crimes

I think as a final phase of his transformation, Theon will be blinded (by the Weeper at the Wall). Because of his broken mind, he was already very susceptible to the supernatural. After the blinding, I expect him to be fully open to Bran's revelations. I expect a raven or two standing on his shoulders and serving as his eyes (along with Bran's). This way, he will turn into a prophet of Bran.

As the prophet of Bran, one thing Theon will do is to go to the Iron Islands and nullify the decisions of the last kingsmoots like Torgon the Latecomer did once. Then, he will warn the ironborn to leave the Old Way for the "Drowned God" would surely destroy them. Aeron will insist on his folly as the priest-king and Bran will destroy Pyke with a Hammer of Waters. There are subtle foreshadowing for this scenario.

Ooh...

I like it very much [emoji50]

I'm lost in something entirely different right now, but I have a few thoughts on the screams.. I agree that they're a sign of warning, but they may have various sources, not just one (Bran) or even two (Bran and Bloodraven). The ravens' screams are probably  attributable to them (in the main) but I'm not entirely certain that a simple scream (as opposed to a word) would be impossible to achieve for any of the CoTF greenseers, or perhaps even the "ghosts" that reside in the ravens at the cave of the Children.

That so many ravens are in WF is suspicious on it's own. ..Theon assumes they're all Maester Luwin's ravens and tells us Roose has brought 3 maesters to take the birds in hand, but if they were just normal ravens, I think most of them would have simply flown off to their home destinations once the rookery was destroyed.They may be part of the same "unkindness of ravens" that we see with Coldhands and at the cave.

When it comes to screaming hinges, and considering the two locations mentioned - the Wall and the crypt doors at Winterfell - I have a feeling that they may be linked directly to the living magic of these places.. and at the same time, we need to take into account whose POv it's happening in.

I can see the scream of the rusted hinges of the door to the ice cell as a warning to Jon about Wick and perhaps Cregan (who may, for all we know, have been set free by the conspirators). But Jon's interpretation is rooted in his own thoughts and psychology.

Jon likens it to the cries of damned souls. In the conversation that follows, Cregan threatens that if Jon kills him, he will be damned as a kinslayer (he's stretching a point, IMO). Jon considers that Cregan has "damned" himself as a would be usurper by his actions regarding Alys, and has carefully avoided granting him guest right (just in case).. and at the same time, he's aware that there are people (such as Bowen) who will "damn" him for his current decisions about the wildlings. We can understand why that "damned souls" simile springs to mind, for him.

In another example, I sense that Jon unknowingly states a fact when he tells Val the wall killed Jarl. He expresses this in thought a little more fully during his appointment of Bedwyck.. Sometimes the Wall itself seemed to shake them off, as a dog might shake off fleas. Jon had seen that for himself, when a sheet of ice cracked beneath Val’s lover Jarl, sending him to his death. .. I definitely think the magic itself reacts spontaneously from time to time.

In Winterfell, when the doors to the crypt scream, we're in Theon's POV. He doesn't liken the scream to anything. He doesn't note that the hinges are rusted and I don't think that they've been buried in snow long enough to rust. There was no snow when Roose's company arrived. 

Many people take the position that the unnatural weather that seems to emanate from Winterfell does so because there is no Stark in Winterfell. I take the opposing position - that it's because there is a Stark in WF (Benjen as the HM) causing certain magical defenses to be activated. ...In the same vein, I can see the scream as an announcement or warning to those concealed in the crypts to stay hidden (but I believe Barbrey's action is welcome and expected). While in the crypts, Theon feels a "familiar sense of dread", implying it's the same as he (like other non-Starks) has felt before.

Like Mithras, I've long been convinced that Bran will be able to speak through Theon in TWoW.(Though I differ slightly on some of his other projections) ;)

Evita.. this is a great thread, and I applaud the work you've done.. I just have my own particular wrinkles on things. There are two words that I feel we too often use in regard to Bran "surpass" and "forgiveness" .. and I've used them myself, in a shorthand kind of way. But the more I think about them , the more I feel they're off, somewhat.

Is it right to say that Bran will surpass BR, when it's not a contest? They are a part of the same continuum. Bran will know whatever BR and others have discovered before him. How will we be able to judge whose accomplishments are greater , when his will "stand on the shoulders" of theirs?

As to forgiveness.. TWoIaF tells us the Starks of old were "hard men in hard times" and if the threat now is as great, that same hardness will be necessary. The red leaf (like a hand) that falls and touches Theon calls to my mind the "bloody hands" motif so ably developed by some posters in the Jon re-read threads..a call to take responsibility for one's actions (much needed in Theon's case) and I think "forgiveness" on Bran's part goes too far. To my mind, "understanding" would be a better word.

Theon remembers standing over the corpses of the miller's boys and thinking "How did I come to this?" .. Bran is now in a position to see how Theon came to that, but I don't think he can forgive Theon for all he's done and all the grief it brought to so many and the danger in which his actions have placed the efforts against the others. ...And I know there is an argument to be made that without Theon's actions Bran might not be where he now is. Still, forgiveness is a very big word, and perhaps entirely too Christian a concept to truly apply. I cannot see Bran as a "father confessor". The Northern religion has no such office,or concept that we know of. Theon is pleading for understanding from the old gods, and I think he's getting it.. but there will be no washing away of his sins.

I'll use Jon and the Weeper as an example.. Jon doesn't intend to forgive him, but he'll set his past crimes aside, if he can put him to good use .. but I certainly take it that the arrangement would be conditional. Just as with the NW, if such a contract was broken, justice would fall. I think it will be much the same with Theon.

Just a minor addition to my previous post.

On their iron spikes atop the gatehouse, the heads waited.

Theon gazed at them silently while the wind tugged on his cloak with small ghostly hands. The miller’s boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon, alike in size and coloring, and once Reek had flayed the skin from their faces and dipped their heads in tar, it was easy to see familiar features in those misshapen lumps of rotting flesh. People were such fools. If we’d said they were rams’ heads, they would have seen horns.

Another possible clue for at least one of the miller’s boys being actually Theon’s. The mention of rams might be a hint towards the Abrahamic sacrifice where he was about to sacrifice his son but a ram sent by the God was sacrificed instead. This would be a reverse parallel in Theon’s case. Bran&Rickon were not Theon’s children but he killed his own blood (though it was unintentional) in their stead. That is why Theon got the divine punishment where Abraham was spared.

Mithras.. terrific catch ! .. this is the first clue pointing to identifying the younger boy as Theon's (always a possibility, IMO) that I've really liked.. But I recoil at the idea of divine punishment.. terrible irony is more like it, I think.

The ominous dreams Theon was receiving made me use the term divine punishment because they resemble the ominous prophetic dreams in classical Greek tragedies. I don’t think any actual gods were sending those dreams to Theon.

Mithras.. terrific catch ! .. this is the first clue pointing to identifying the younger boy as Theon's (always a possibility, IMO) that I've really liked.. But I recoil at the idea of divine punishment.. terrible irony is more like it, I think.

Agreed, great catch Mithras, good work !  I enjoy reading your posts/thoughts, and I've just noticed all the essays in your signature, so plenty more to read. I look forward to it.

bemused thanks for your post up thread.  On the screaming, and the possibility of other greenseers, that's an interesting idea and of course there's a chance of that.  That would be broadening of the scope available to them.  My immediate thinking is that any clues we get at the moment are Bran and BR, but who knows ?   :dunno:

And thanks for your thoughts on Cregan and Wick etc... I tend to agree that it may be a warning, and had missed some of the damned language after that, thanks.  To touch on some other things, I totally agree that the Wall can be tapped into through its magic alone, much like the crypts.  I liked your take on the weather emanating from Winterfell as well.  Not something I am that familiar with, other than the odd post here and there.

Great point also about the ravens at Winterfell, that does seem odd that they wouldn't flee for home once the rookery was destroyed.  And the idea that they may be the same "unkindness of ravens" that we see with Coldhands and at the cave is awesome.  The North's very own little birds, honed to watch, listen, learn and in this case 'remember'.

Finally, your post on pg 1 about BR is great.  My first thoughts when reading evita's essays was BR, and you covered D&E wonderfully.  Also I agree with you that most, if not all the evidence we are looking for is both Bran and BR.  I can see evidence for this, some you have mentioned already, and if we consider that there's training going on, it would stand to reason that where one is present, so is the other.      :)

Hi people.  As I've been searching through Jon's chapters for evidence, it struck me that any that is potentially there is lacking the descriptive text seen in Theon's, and has no real feeling of connection or that eerie presence that evita and Mithras have shown.  This is probably what evita was hinting at in the OP when she mentioned only 'some' evidence around Jon.

Is it perhaps the case that with Theon's mind being broken and open to manipulation, he is easier to connect/communicate with.  Hence the descriptive nature of the wind etc..   While Jon is of a stronger mindset, and therefore harder to reach or have any influence on ?   And is this situation perhaps replicated in the text ?  Sorry if this stuff is old news, but a thought I had when searching Jon XI, anyway here's what I found in said chapter.

Jon XI

When parlaying with Tormund, Mormont's raven flies down to Jon from nowhere.

''Did you follow me as well ?''  Jon reached to shoo the bird away but ended up stroking its feathers.  The raven cocked its eye at him ''Snow'' it muttered, bobbing its head knowingly.  Then Ghost emerged from between two trees, with Val beside him.

Val was dressed all in white...........a white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face.

Then

She still rode the grey garron that Mully had given her the day she left the wall, a shaggy, stunted thing blind in one eye.

Mormonts raven followed them as far as the gate, then flapped upward as the rest of them dismounted.

So we definitely have BR with Mormonts raven, then the option of the carved weirwood face or the grey 'one eyed' garron for Bran. Certainly suggestive of more than one presence having a couple of other options available. The weirwood face sounds cool, if so Bran was privy to half the chapter with Val, and the one eyed garron is also possible and was present only until Jon and co were through the wall.  However, either option would've heard Jon's arrangement through Satin to meet Bowen Marsh, Othell Yarwick, Septon Cellador and Clan Chiefs Flint + Norrey atop the wall for a meeting. 

The second half of the chapter, as Jon ascends the wall for the meeting, we only get three mentions of wind.  Here they are...

The higher they went the stronger the wind.  Fifty feet up the heavy cage began to sway with every 'gust'.  From time to time it scraped against the wall, starting small crystalline showers of ice that sparkled in the sunlight as they fell.  They rose above the tallest towers of the castle.  At four hundred feet the wind had teeth, and tore at his black cloak so it slapped noisily at the iron bars.  At seven hundred feet it cut right through him.  'The wall is mine' Jon reminded himself as the winchmen were swinging in the cage, 'for two more days at least.'

Then whilst disagreeing during the meeting

'' I would sooner have them dead in the ground'' said Yarwick ''If it please my lord.'' 

'' It does not please me'' Jon's voice was as cold as the wind snapping at their cloaks.

And at the end of the chapter when Jon contemplates alone.

And Jon thought ''Ice'' she said ''and daggers in the dark.  Blood frozen red and hard on naked steel''  His sword hand flexed.  The wind was rising.

The passage ascending the wall is cool.  The wind had 'teeth', and the tearing at his black cloak whilst behind iron bars, is certainly evocative of someone trying to tell Jon to break free of his current imprisonment.  Perhaps to embrace a more important role moving forward ?  The other two mentions are maybe at best just to remind us of a possible presence, but atop the wall, with Jon being there and having apparent evidence that Bran may be there set up earlier in the chapter, thought this worth posting anyway.

So possible evidence for Bran being there, and then 3 subtle mentions of the wind, all around Jon directly.  And more cloaks/hoods being played with.  The next Jon chapter starts with his usurper, black ice armour, flaming red sword dream.  BR/Mormonts raven awakens him from this dream, if we assume Bran is present or privy to this, that would've been an eye opener for him.   :stunned:    [ Dreams become lessons, lessons become dreams. Bran III ]

Anyone please feel free to 'politely' disagree, debate or enlighten whichever the case may be.    

In the Dunk and Egg stories..mist is associated with Bloodraven who is believed to be able himself into a mist ,or use mist to obscure what he's doing. From The Mystery Knight...

So, yes I do think Bran might be keeping tabs on her , but I think Bloodraven was doing so long before Bran got to the cave of the CoTF.

Quick post with a nod for BR being in Braavos, this is after Bran's last chapter, and Arya's first chapter after the end of Bran III, so maybe he is also present ?  From 'The Blind Girl'...........

She could tell that the 'fog' was thick from the clammy way her clothes clung to her and the damp feeling of the air on her bare hands.  The 'mists' of Braavos did queer things to sounds as well, she had found.  Half the city will be half blind tonight.

Mist/fog, half blind, screams BR to me ?  Is Bran there, watching, learning ?  Also there's other stuff in Braavos with BR imagery, but more research needed.  One bridge in particular.........A painted bridge with a thousand painted eyes.    :)

Hi people, having posted quotes and a little analysis from Jon X & XI up thread, I realised that I should've posted them in order from the end of Bran's last chapter.  And not only that, but try and set up a precedent via repeated and distinguishable language choices in the text when describing something attributable to Bran/BR, as evita has shown for the screams in the OP.  So I will attempt to do that in my up coming posts.

My analysis on Jon's chapters will be focussing on the wind as a potential tool for Bran to use/watch/listen to events at the Wall. [ with an eye on Mormonts raven/BR and screams.] 

This post will cover Bran III and Jon VII, as I think there are some clues to be found in these chapters that are important with regards to linking the text moving forward.  Therefore this post is longer than the others will be.  This is not a chapter analysis, just some quotes from Bran III that I feel help set up the links I propose to try and show........

He chose one bird, and then another, without success.....................
The song of the river suddenly grew louder, the torches burned a little brighter than before, and the air was full of strange smells.  When he tried to speak it came out in a 'scream', and his first flight ended when he crashed into a wall and ended back inside his own broken body.  The raven was unhurt.  It flew to him and landed on his arm, and Bran stroked its feathers and slipped inside of it again.

After the small mishap of Bran not quite getting the hang of flying, he goes on to show impressive skills throughout the chapter.  Keep the failed flight in mind, and maybe the stroking of the feathers moving forward.  We also get another scream relating to speech.

Secondly, Brans powers.  We all know they're strong, so I won't go over all these passages, but needless to say what he experienced in the weirnet and his dreams in his alcove far surpassed expectations.  He has been tasting blood for a while, and Coldhands 'pork' etc...  And he has skinchanged a lot, into another wolf in this chapter in fact.

'' Bran ate with Summer and his pack, as a wolf.'' 

That's Hodor - Summer - Raven - Wolf and the trees so far.  Does this make him Bran 'five' skins ?       :P   Seriously though that wolf was Varamyr's, and no mention of him in the wolf's subconscious, this seems no problem at all to Bran.  Basically, I feel Bran's powers may be far further down the road of development than BR or Leaf think.  And maybe some readers ?  

Finally, the last time we see BR, he is talking to Bran, and he finishes with.......

'' Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood.  The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use.... but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.''
'' When.''  Bran wanted to know.
'' In a year, or three, or ten.  That I have not glimpsed.  It will come in time I promise you.  But I am tired now, and the trees are calling me.  We will resume on the morrow.''

Not limited to any godswood and see well beyond the trees themselves kind of sounds like BR's ability to manipulate the mist/fog.  Maybe one of the other elements to master is the wind ? 
Also Bran was quick to ask 'when' these other powers would develop, showing a keen willingness to learn.  Note also that BR was tired, maybe all this high octane greenseer action was all too much for one day !  And he says the trees were calling him, I wonder what they wanted, to tell BR that we have a serious prodigy on our hands ?

In conclusion :  After the early mishap of not getting the hang of the flying, Bran has shown considerable talent already and will probably master these greenseer skills quickly.  In particular the abilities away from the trees and godswood, the wind perhaps ?

JON VII 

This is the chapter immediately after Bran III, and I think there may be an instant set up off the back of the last chapter to associate Bran with the wind.  There are language patterns that repeat throughout the rest of Jon's chapters, and I think very early clues to give us motivation looking for Bran in the wind moving forward, in the form of Jon and Edd's interaction with the wind at the very start of the chapter in particular.  

Here are some quotes and analysis...  The chapter starts with............

The sun had broken through near midday, after seven days of dark skies and snow flurries...............
Seven hundred feet up Jon Snow stood looking down upon the haunted forest.  A north wind swirled through the trees below, sending thin white plumes of snow crystals flying from the highest branches, like icy banners.

Jon then speaks a couple of lines with Edd............

A sudden 'gust 'of wind set Edd's 'cloak' to flapping noisily. '' Best go down, m'lord.  This wind's like to 'push' us off the wall, and I never did learn the knack of flying.''  

They rode the winch lift back to the ground.  The wind was 'gusting' cold as the breath of the Ice dragon in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy.  The heavy cage was swaying.  From time to time it scraped against the Wall, starting small crystalline showers of ice that sparkled in the sunlight as they fell, like shards of broken glass.

Quick analysis :  We are given a time frame of seven days passing.  But can we assume that the time Bran started his training, to the present time, may have been considerably longer ?  Maybe he's nailing his skills already ?  Then we have the north wind at the beginning of the chapter, could that be Bran/BR swirling into Castle Black to keep an eye on events at the Wall, and Jon ?  Geographically it makes sense.  And we get some really descriptive text next which I think is our first real clue, it has Bran all over it IMO.

A gust set Edd's cloak 'flapping noisily'.

The 'gusts' appear regularly and play with cloaks and hoods, more examples as we progress.  But the cloak flapping noisily may be a clue.  It certainly sounds like bird terminology, and straight off the back of Bran III, perhaps leads to Bran/BR imagery ?  BearQueen87 has mentioned up thread the bird imagery surrounding Bran throughout his arc.

An example from the series of 'flapping noisily' relating to birds is as follows......

The raven spread its wings, leapt into the air, and flapped noisily across the room to land on the table beside him.  [ Prologue, ACOK.]

But the next bit is a bigger clue I think. When Edd says.....

''This winds like to push us off the wall, and I never did learn the knack of flying''

Edd's description that the wind is like to 'push' them off the wall, gives the wind a very physical presence [ rather than be blown off the wall, or will blow us off the wall.  Keep this in mind.]  Is this be another clue ?  Giving the wind a human/physical ability, and therefore a presence ? 

And then the 'I never did learn the knack of flying' is typically funny Edd.  But is also an allusion to Bran's failed attempt at flying a mere handful of pages ago.  More Bran clues ? 

Finally, the sentence as a whole 'being pushed of a wall and not flying' is exactly what happened to Bran.  This is all in the first few sentences involving the wind.  Then we get the descriptive winch lift ride........

The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the Ice dragon in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy.

The winds gusting again,and cold.  The Ice dragon description comes up again later, as do other phrases.  But this sets up an early Stark based imagery around the wind, and animalistic, much like the ravening wolf in Theon's chapters.  Plus of course, a reminder of Bran and all things Winterfell with Old Nans tales.  The Ice dragon in particular, it is Jon's chapter after all.

Indeed the physical nature of the wind continues with it's next appearance in the chapter, as the next quote shows.  This is just after Jon and co head north for the weirwood grove so new recruits can say their vows.

'' Their heads were raised against the 'biting' wind and some had scarves wrapped about their faces, hiding, Jon knew them though.''

Again the wind gets physical and ' bites.'  This is an actual saying in the real world, but works very well for the purpose of what we are looking for here, a physical/animalistic or human like appearance to the wind.

There are three more mentions of wind, but with not as much description or potential meaning.  Still worth quoting them anyway to be thorough, and we do see some familiar words..... cloaks, hoods etc.......

'-- ' Whenever the wind kicked up, sprays of loose snow filled the air and stung their eyes.  Jon pulled his scarf up over his mouth and nose and raised the hood on his cloak''

-- [ After their vows were complete.] '' The wind was rising.  It was time to go.''

-- ''The wind rattled the pines and made their cloaks snap and swirl.''

Not too much to go on with these three.  More hoods/cloaks is noteable, and maybe 'snap and swirl' sounds like dragon imagery, probably not.  Maybe just showing a continued presence once one has been possibly established.   But with the second example [ The 'wind was/is rising' appears a lot throughout the series, so maybe one to watch ?]  I think Bran and BR were already there anyway......

'' Each one had a face carved into it, and no two faces were alike.  Some were smiling, some were screaming, some were shouting at him.  In the deepening glow their eyes looked black, but in the daylight they would be blood-red Jon knew.  Eyes like Ghosts.

We know Bran's already in the weirnet, and there's trees 'screaming', Bran's calling card, as evita has shown. Also 'eyes like ghosts' seems apt for these particular eyes, considering the hidden presence of Bran/BR. 

If this is the chapter George is using to connect some language choices/patterns moving forward, then we got quite a bit to work with, and a lot of these choices/patterns are repeated later on and in relation to the wind, so promising I'd say.  Also, a 'ghostly' like presence is indeed felt later on in Theon's chapters in relation to the wind. 

In conclusion :  I think Bran may already be able to use the wind as per evita's idea.  And that the north wind early in the chapter was Bran/BR seemingly blowing in to watch/listen to events at the Wall and of course Jon.  BR seems to be there a lot anyway, with Mormont's raven, why not bring the trainee along, especially as it's Jon.

Then the descriptive text gives us clues about Bran's presence and potential ability regarding the wind.  Involving textual and language choices that will be repeated in similar fashion within future Jon chapters.  There are quite a few words/phrases that are used quite a lot, I will touch on these as we get to them.

Thanks for reading, any other clues, thoughts or opinions would be awesome.     :)

Great work as usual Wizz.  I like the thought of the contrast of Theon/Jon of broken mind ~vs~ healthy mind.  Another thought is that at the wedding, Reek had been forced to become not just Theon, but a sham Theon representing the authority (?) of WF.  He knew he was a sham, just as he knew fArya was a sham.  With that, he seemed to hyper-aware of his surroundings to the extent it seemed he was sensitive to ambiance of the gods woods more than usual. 

He could see the refusal of the guests to acknowledge what was really happening, but it seems he could tell that the old gods knew the truth, through Bran and BR, although Theon doesn't realize it's due to them. 

Above you note in JON XI "

Val was dressed all in white...........a white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face.

Then

She still rode the grey garron that Mully had given her the day she left the wall, a shaggy, stunted thing blind in one eye."   

I could see Bran in the weirwood face pin, but not the garron, one eye is just too suggestive of BR for me.  It was a suggest from a post above that Bran and BR are together in some of these instances as trainee and trainer, something I haven't considered before, but that does make sense. 

Off to read your last post as it appeared just as I posted.   :)  Also, if you are interested in reading more about the snow from WF idea, here is a link to a thread that discusses that. 

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81078-winter-fell/

Great work as usual Wizz.  I like the thought of the contrast of Theon/Jon of broken mind ~vs~ healthy mind.  Another thought is that at the wedding, Reek had been forced to become not just Theon, but a sham Theon representing the authority (?) of WF.  He knew he was a sham, just as he knew fArya was a sham.  With that, he seemed to hyper-aware of his surroundings to the extent it seemed he was sensitive to ambiance of the gods woods more than usual. 

He could see the refusal of the guests to acknowledge what was really happening, but it seems he could tell that the old gods knew the truth, through Bran and BR, although Theon doesn't realize it's due to them. 

Above you note in JON XI "

Then

She still rode the grey garron that Mully had given her the day she left the wall, a shaggy, stunted thing blind in one eye."   

I could see Bran in the weirwood face pin, but not the garron, one eye is just too suggestive of BR for me.  It was a suggest from a post above that Bran and BR are together in some of these instances as trainee and trainer, something I haven't considered before, but that does make sense. 

Hey, LongRider !  Nice to post with you again, hope you're well.  And thanks for your kind words.  :)

Yeah, the Theon/Jon - Broken mind/healthy mind thing was something I have been thinking about.  I am certainly seeing plenty of evidence for Bran in Jon chapters, but no real connection, as noted above.  This is perhaps in line with his refusal to accept, or even think about his abilities as a skinchanger, even with all he's seen.  Jon seems out of reach, yet Theon is noticeably able to connect or be connected with. 

Another point on this, Jon is always putting his hood up, like he's shying away from something.  Yet Theon's hood is being pulled back/down, perhaps pointing to his openness or susceptibility ?

I like your take on the 'sham or shams' taking place at the wedding.  For one with a broken mind, and that mind seemingly open to manipulation, all the negative thoughts or vibes Theon may be picking up would only serve to accentuate his paranoia, perhaps leading to an easier target, so to speak.

As for the carved weirwood face pin or the grey 'one eyed' garron, I tend to agree with you that the weirwood pin is the better option.  And by the way, the far cooler option.  That pin saw half the chapter, and was privy to some interesting conversation.  There is always, however, the chance that it may've been the garron, so worth noting.  Mormont's raven was there already 'nodding in agreement' at the question ' did you follow me ?'' which I think implies BR's presence there.  Then we have two viable options present as well, rare to get such choices for skinchanging opportunities in one scene.  But yeah, carved weirwood face pin..........awesome !

Thanks for the link, I will get there soon.  Had a quick look at the first page, looks very interesting.  I did know of this, but soooo many other things to throw yourself into, this one went by the wayside.

Look forward to your thoughts on my last post, I think I'm seeing a reasonable amount of evidence for all of this, but welcome any other ideas or discussion.       :)

Just a couple of quick comments. 

I'm away from home currently, but will look at the Jon chapters you've mentioned as I don't remember such things as Val's weirwood pin.  Now that is worth a second look. 

Also I'm reading the Winter Fell thread and found this great reminder of Bran and wind being connected together very early in the story: 

Next, Osha asserts that the old gods send the wind to answer Bran’s prayers: “A faint wind sighed through the godswood and the red leaves stirred and whispered” (AGoT 577). Osha goes on to specify: “They hear you talking. That rustling, that’s them talking back” (577).

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/81078-winter-fell/?p=4803053

Thanks to evita mgfs for this quoted from that thread. (she started this thread too!)  With that strong connection from the first book, looking for Bran in the wind is a great idea!  

Just a couple of quick comments. 

I'm away from home currently, but will look at the Jon chapters you've mentioned as I don't remember such things as Val's weirwood pin.  Now that is worth a second look. 

Also I'm reading the Winter Fell thread and found this great reminder of Bran and wind being connected together very early in the story: 

Thanks to evita mgfs for this quoted from that thread. (she started this thread too!)  With that strong connection from the first book, looking for Bran in the wind is a great idea!

No problem, and yeah, the weirwood pin is cool, when you read that chapter, note how as soon as any opportunity of pins or garrons disappears, I think the wind takes over, if so, awesome !  But more on that in future posts.  The Bran III and Jon VII links are I think important as well, it sets the scene for what's to come, some of which I touched on in my first couple of posts, but moving forward, will continue my analysis in the correct order of Jon's chapters. 

And yes, evita has wonderful ideas about a lot of stuff, and her thoughts on the wind started my interest in this subject, I think she mentions that quote in the OP to link the evidence [ amongst other great stuff.] without that I would never have been looking for hints in the wind.  And I think so far, it's been well worth it.  :)

Hopefully after looking for evidence in Bran III and Jon VII, I may have connected some clues and language/text choices that hint at Bran as the wind moving forward. 

However, the next two Jon chapters have no appearance of the wind whatsoever, it is mentioned once in Jon IX [ I think it's another clue.] but no actual physical appearance of the wind at all.  This is not a bad thing, in regards to what we're looking for, if the wind was constantly referenced without any of the language I'm mentioning it would debunk this line of enquiry immediately.  Also maybe of note is that these two chapters happen closely around Theon in Winterfell and Arya's misty encounters in Braavos, so maybe selective use of the elements ?  It certainly seems to return in Jon X and XI.

There is no wind in this chapter, but Mormont's raven was there.  And we can't totally rule out Bran occasionally popping in, it does say Jon's full name later on after all.  And anyway, to keep to the idea of being thorough, I will list the ravens mutterings...........

JON VIII

He would have eaten the bacon too, but the raven made off with it before he had the chance.

'' Thief '' Jon said as the bird flapped up to the lintel above the door to devour its prize.

'' Thief '' the raven agreed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'' Perhaps some wine ?'' said Septon Cellador

'' Corn '' screamed the raven from the lintel '' Corn, corn.''

[ Jon had asked for food and drink for his guests, but ''nothing for the bird'' after the bacon incident, I suppose.] 

Mormont's raven muttered his annoyance as the door opened beneath him, heralding the return of Dolorous Edd with a flagon of wine and a plate of eggs and sausages.

[ On Leathers.]  Now he is our brother.  One who can teach the boys more than swordcraft.  It would not hurt them to learn a few words of the Old Tongue and something of the ways of the free folk.

'' Free '' the raven muttered '' Corn. king.''

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ Jon talks of brothers that are probably worse than the wildlings.  Then a moment of contemplation]

Septon Cellador drank some wine.  Othell Yarwick stabbed a sausage with his dagger.  Bowen Marsh sat red faced.  The raven flapped its wings and said '' Corn, corn, kill.'' 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ Jon ] '' Living men, human as you and me.  Winter is coming, my lords, and when it does, we living men will need to stand together against the dead.''

'' Snow.'' screamed Lord Mormont's raven '' Snow, Snow.''

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ Bowen Marsh.] '' Thousands of enemies.  Thousands of wildlings.''

Thousands of people, Jon thought.  Men, women, children.  Anger rose inside him, but when he spoke his voice was quiet and cold.   '' Are you so blind, or is it that you do not wish to see ?  What do think will happen when all these enemies are dead ?''

Above the door the raven muttered '' Dead, dead, dead.''

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   

So no wind, or solid evidence for Bran, but plenty of raven chat.  Again we aren't entirely sure that Bran isn't privy to all the raven sees, or hears, or indeed if it could be used as part of Bran's training ?  Still, worth noting these quotes down I feel.  The raven says some interesting things in this chapter, the Corn king one in particular, but there are other threads for that.

Onto Jon IX [ will post soon ] more raven quotes, and the one 'mention' of the wind in these two chapters.  Then in Jon X and XI the wind is back.   :)

JON IX

Quick synopsis :  This is the chapter that Queen Selyse, Shireen and co arrive at Castle Black, Tycho included.  They meet Wun Wun, and he scares them, that was a funny scene.  Jon also bargains wiith Tycho about the lending of gold to the Nights Watch with the add on of the use of his three ships for his mission to Hardhome.  Alys Karstark also makes it to the Wall.  

Just the one 'mention' of the wind in this chapter, and no obvious evidence for Bran, but some more raven quotes that I will list again. 

Firstly, the mention of the wind, this is after Jon offers Tycho a tour atop the Wall................

The banker glanced up to where the ice loomed vast and pale against the sky. '' I fear it will be bitter cold up top.''

'' That, and windy.  You learn to walk well away from the edge.  Men have been 'blown' off.  Still.  The Wall is like nothing else on earth.  You may never have another chance to see it.'' 

This is the second time in a couple of chapters that being blown [ pushed ] off the Wall is discussed.  The first one mentioned, I attempted to connect a physical presence to the wind with the wording.... 'push' off the Wall.  This time we get the more traditional expression of 'blown' off the Wall. 

With this being the only 'mention' of the wind in these two chapters, and the allusion of being blown off the Wall brought up again, I couldn't help but compare the two descriptions.  Perhaps this a nod to the reader to look at that bit of text in Jon VII again ?  It is certainly the clue that got me excited to research this some more, as I mention up thread, I think it screams Bran.

So, two descriptions of people falling off the Wall.  A seemingly physical presence when the wind/Bran is actually there [ push ]       

And the more traditional description when the wind is just being discussed. [ blown ]  Could this be another subtle clue ? 

The physicality/animalistic nature of the text and cool descriptions only being there when the wind 'gusts' and is in our actual presence ?

Onto raven quotes for this chapter..........  As Jon entertains Tycho, they are welcomed by the Old Bears raven.......

[ Mormont's raven ] greeted them with a shriek of '' Corn.''

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ Tycho on Stannis.] '' Should he prove himself more worthy of our trust, it would of course be our great pleasure to lend him whatever help he needs.''

'' Help.'' the raven screamed '' Help, help, help.''

[ After Jon helps Tycho with provisions for his journey ]

'' There will be a price.''.......''Price'' screamed Mormont's raven '' Price, price.''

[ The raven was in Jon's solar, screaming for food, then after news of Arya/Alys arrival we get.] 

'' Snow, snow.'' and then '' Girl '' screamed the raven. '' Girl, girl.''

[ In Maester Aemon's old chambers, when first meeting Alys.  Not Mormont's raven ] 

Jon stepped over a puddle of damp clothing.  '' Snow, Snow, Snow,'' the ravens called from above. 

In conclusion :  I feel the one mention of the wind may serve as a clue for us to look closer at the descriptions, that scene with Jon and Edd in Jon VII in particular.  And again to be thorough, all the ravens opinions are noted.

The next two chapters get a bit more 'windy', with some familiar text.  Some of the quotes are up thread, but in the attempt to keep this sequential, some more analysis and context on those chapters will follow.     :)

Archived