BRAN’S GROWING POWERS AFTER his FINAL POV in ADwD

evita mgfs

For WIZZ-SMITH:  More on Jon X ADwD.

You have parsed this POV and offered excellent evidences.  Isn’t it amazing how we can find SO much once we have learned Martin’s language patterns, many of which are motifs in themselves?

Your number 7 ideas are great.

“ A north wind swirled through the trees below, sending thin white plumes of snow crystals flying from the highest branches, like icy banners””

·       .You analyzed the wind here, but Martin speaks of “white plumes” of snow crystals “flying” – PLUMES are bird’s feathers, yes?

How’s this?  More later . . .

Hi Evita !  I love what you've added to my analysis, and the plumes catch is awesome !  I looked up the definition, and even when describing a cloud of smoke or vapour it's the resemblance to a feather that's key.  So this seems pretty much nailed on with all we've shown of Bran and his connections with birds throughout the series. 

With all the birds eye view evidence on top of this, I agree that having found a pattern/writing technique all of a sudden things are starting to become a little clearer.  It's exciting, especially with the new book within sight [Hopefully] and these winds of winter may, in some cases, be more personal/important than some have previously thought.

I was enthused to find that early hint of Bran being possibly present in the wind in Jon VII, thanks for your kind words.  It was literally a few pages after Bran's last chapter and the whole crashing in the Raven fiasco, after studying said chapter thoroughly [More on that next post]  the text instantly jumped out at me. 

Thank you for your explanation on the epic conventions, I wish I had such knowledge.  But have enjoyed being able to contribute in other ways, and have learnt plenty on such subjects from posters like yourself.    :)      

Great Minds Think Alike!  Har Har!

I posted this in August, and you and I are picking up on the exact same things: 

“Once you have MASTERED your gifts . . .”

When Bran takes his first journey into the weirwood under the supervision of Bloodraven and Leaf, both of them eagerly await Bran's report.  They anticipate his response.

But neither of them expect Bran to skip the PRESENT and go right to the PAST.

Lord Brynden instructs Bran to slip his skin and travel through the tree roots to the hill’s surface to peer through the weirwood’s eyes and tell him what he sees.   however, when Bran “become the tree”, in an instant he is home, in the heart tree of Winterfell’s godswood.  Bran covers a substantial distance that far exceeds Bloodraven’s initial goal for his pupil.

When Bran reveals that he saw his father cleaning his greatsword  Ice beneath the heart tree in Winterfell’s godswood, Leaf is quick to offer an explanation:  “You saw what you wished to see.  Your heart yearns for your father and your home, so that is what you saw” (458).  [Leaf reacts to what Bran sees faster than Bloodraven does – she is ready with a “save” – those children, they are the wise ones!]

Leaf suggests that Bran’s visit to Winterfell is due to his emotional attachment to his home and his father.  Bran’s heart takes him there.  Bran is sure that his father is alive, but Bloodraven clarifies that Bran visits “shadows of days past”, where greenseers can call upon bygone days in rapid succession, a thousand human years in a moment. 

So

Even though Bran is far from Winterfell, even though he has traveled beyond the great ice barricade of the Wall,  and even though he is beneath a hill in a warded cave, the skinchanger in him travels far indeed for the FIRST time out as a GREENSEER.

Obviously, Bloodraven did not expect Bran to visit the PAST the FIRST time he weds the tree; as a matter of fact, the Last Greenseer probably anticipates another raven fiasco!  Bran had a wee bit of trouble with a raven the first time he learned to fly. And, the readers know more than Bloodraven, for all his ancient wisdom.  Readers know that Bran has been practicing in Hodor – Bran has tasted human blood and human flesh through Summer – and doesn’t Bran dine on Coldhand’s pork dinner?

Then, when Bran returns to his alcove, BAM!  He’s back in the tree again – the second time, the images race – hurtle – backward into time, as his teacher described in his lesson on the Sea of Shadows and Time is a River – and that Greenseers will be able to see through “gates” into the past.

Bloodraven answers Bran’s question “Will I see my father again?” WITH “Once you have MASTERED your gifts, you may look where you will and see what he trees have seen, be it yesterday or last year or A THOUSAND AGES PAST” (ADwD 458).

So, if Bran goes to his alcove and travels about 6000-7000 years into the past – he sees the ancient Kings of Winter march by, and a possible blood sacrifice – and then he tastes the blood IN THE PAST as though it is spilled PRESENTLY – does this mean that Bran has “mastered his gifts”?  That is, according to Bloodraven?

I think this little event is proof that Bran’s gifts are well on their way to surpassing their teacher’s.

Did anyone notice that Bloodraven cuts the lesson short with “I am tired”.  I bet he is tired – he has a greenseer prodigy on his hands, OH MY! 

Haha!  Wow, would you look at that !  Great minds do think alike !   :D  I think you are too modest, this touched on some cool thoughts I missed.  I love the thought of him going back 6000-7000 years, and what this may entail, the mind boggles.  My line of enquiry was maybe a little more blinkered, but nevertheless we hit a lot of the same notes there.  I admire your work, so I'm chuffed with that, and again thanks for your kind words.

I have  more spare time coming up over Xmas, and will hope to have more ideas and if time allows analysis.  With all you've wonderfully pointed out, and this evidence stacking up throughout Jon's chapters, what about others, what about Arya ?  There's the bridge of a thousand eyes in Braavos [Paraphrasing] and all that mist ?  And I think BR has been watching her also, from perhaps early in the story. This is a cool quote in the RL's....... [Thanks Le Cygne!]

Arya glanced over her shoulder, but there was nothing behind them but a crow flitting from tree to tree. The only sound was the river.

I love that quote.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  :P  We have much to ponder already.  And I am thoroughly enjoying all you have posted, thank you !  :)

Hi Evita !  I love what you've added to my analysis, and the plumes catch is awesome !  I looked up the definition, and even when describing a cloud of smoke or vapour it's the resemblance to a feather that's key.  So this seems pretty much nailed on with all we've shown of Bran and his connections with birds throughout the series. 

With all the birds eye view evidence on top of this, I agree that having found a pattern/writing technique all of a sudden things are starting to become a little clearer.  It's exciting, especially with the new book within sight [Hopefully] and these winds of winter may, in some cases, be more personal/important than some have previously thought.

I was enthused to find that early hint of Bran being possibly present in the wind in Jon VII, thanks for your kind words.  It was literally a few pages after Bran's last chapter and the whole crashing in the Raven fiasco, after studying said chapter thoroughly [More on that next post]  the text instantly jumped out at me. 

Thank you for your explanation on the epic conventions, I wish I had such knowledge.  But have enjoyed being able to contribute in other ways, and have learnt plenty on such subjects from posters like yourself.    :)      

Hey, WIZ, I was being silly with my epic convention lecture.  I taught ancient Greek mythology for 30 years, mostly Homeric.  I was afraid you may have thought I was speaking down to you – such is not the case.

Thanks for the sweet words.  I sincerely appreciate them.  As I told you, you have inspired a 100 ideas – and maybe we should truly organize a “close” rereading of specific POVs.  Let me know?

Anyways, I wanted to share from my list of key words like “vanishing” with the direwolves and others.  I categorize words like this – “disappearing, reappearing” – under Magic as a motif, one I have been following since AGoT.

You opened my eyes with “flapping” – what a catch!  This certainly separates descriptions of capes and cloaks throughout the series. 

These are some of my questions, speculations, crackpot ideas:

Why “crows”?  Who is the source of this accepted “wildling” nickname for the Sworn Brothers of the Night’s Watch?  Why not bats?  Or flies?  Wasps?  I  wonder if the living magic in the Wall is part of the greenseers’ and the singers’ special magic long forgotten but slowly waking as the “trees have eyes again”?  The crow is the bird sacred to greenseers and singers: is this why the wildlings call the SBs crows?  Maybe “crow” was once an honorific , but then changed to sarcasm.  [Antony says that Brutus is an honorable man while proving that an honorable man does not stab a friend in the back.  The meaning of “Honor” is then compromised.]

Oh – the living magic is growing stronger because a young greenseer is in training, and Bran’s youth, energy, and heart contribute to Bran’s rapid acquisition of knowledge.  Moreover, the knowledge Bran needs is facing a time-crunch.  Bran’s delay and BR’s weakening are motivating forces to advance Bran’s training at a warped speed.  If Bran hopes to reanimate or resurrect his brother Jon, there is ancient magic he must absorb.

FYI – It is a theory of mine that Martin finds inspiration in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.  Fitz  masterfully weaves themes, symbols, language patterns, and more, sustaining them even though limited to a first-person  POV.  The “host” appears and disappears. Gatsby regularly “dispenses starlight to stray moths” by hosting splendid, expensive parties in an effort to recapture his past by luring Daisy’s attendance.  “People were not invited – they went there . . . after that they conducted themselves according to the rules of behavior associated with amusement parks” (41). Most depart having never met their Host while Nick makes it a mission to meet the enigmatic Gatsby who watches his staging and those upon it from a distance.

Bran is like Gatsby, watching from a distance, wanting desperately to recapture his past by finding his family and bringing them HOME!

The Boltons and company are unwanted guests behaving badly who ignore their “host”, the Stark in Winterfell.

I have more . . . later.

Hey, WIZ, I was being silly with my epic convention lecture.  I taught ancient Greek mythology for 30 years, mostly Homeric.  I was afraid you may have thought I was speaking down to you – such is not the case.

Thanks for the sweet words.  I sincerely appreciate them.  As I told you, you have inspired a 100 ideas – and maybe we should truly organize a “close” rereading of specific POVs.  Let me know?

Anyways, I wanted to share from my list of key words like “vanishing” with the direwolves and others.  I categorize words like this – “disappearing, reappearing” – under Magic as a motif, one I have been following since AGoT.

You opened my eyes with “flapping” – what a catch!  This certainly separates descriptions of capes and cloaks throughout the series. 

These are some of my questions, speculations, crackpot ideas:

Why “crows”?  Who is the source of this accepted “wildling” nickname for the Sworn Brothers of the Night’s Watch?  Why not bats?  Or flies?  Wasps?  I  wonder if the living magic in the Wall is part of the greenseers’ and the singers’ special magic long forgotten but slowly waking as the “trees have eyes again”?  The crow is the bird sacred to greenseers and singers: is this why the wildlings call the SBs crows?  Maybe “crow” was once an honorific , but then changed to sarcasm.  [Antony says that Brutus is an honorable man while proving that an honorable man does not stab a friend in the back.  The meaning of “Honor” is then compromised.]

Oh – the living magic is growing stronger because a young greenseer is in training, and Bran’s youth, energy, and heart contribute to Bran’s rapid acquisition of knowledge.  Moreover, the knowledge Bran needs is facing a time-crunch.  Bran’s delay and BR’s weakening are motivating forces to advance Bran’s training at a warped speed.  If Bran hopes to reanimate or resurrect his brother Jon, there is ancient magic he must absorb.

Hey Evita!  Don't worry about perhaps speaking down to me, the thought had never crossed my mind.  While I can't add anything myself , I love to read about these inspirations and influences.  And this often leads to some research at my end in the hope of understanding the many layers of these books a little better.  There is so much to throw yourself into and I appreciate any and all thoughts.  [I love the Gatsby idea, I have seen others discussing Gatsby as inspiration]

A close re-read is a great idea, I had been thinking the same.  With a new, clearer vision of what we're looking for, I'd be very much up for that.  Thank you for sharing some of your key words regarding the Direwolves, all help much appreciated.  And thanks on the 'flapping' catch, it was exciting to find some of these links.  :)

On your questions/thoughts.  Why Crows ?  Good question, not something I have thought too much about, I see a lot of sense in your ideas.   

And I totally agree about Bran and his rapid learning curve.  You've summed that up very well.  How far down the road is he already ?  In the last throws of his last chapter he speaks with BR and discusses his powers.

'' Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood.  The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use.... but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.''
'' When.''  Bran wanted to know.
'' In a year, or three, or ten.  That I have not glimpsed.  It will come in time I promise you.  But I am tired now, and the trees are calling me.  We will resume on the morrow.''

'Not limited to any Godswood and see well beyond the trees themselves' sounds kind of like the ability to use the wind/mist/fog as BR has.  This sounds tough as it may take a year or ten to master, however we're seeing Bran in the wind in the very first paragraph of the very next chapter.  A further sign we have a prodigy on our hands after all the clues to be found in Bran's last chapter.    :)

Hey Evita!  Don't worry about perhaps speaking down to me, the thought had never crossed my mind.  While I can't add anything myself , I love to read about these inspirations and influences.  And this often leads to some research at my end in the hope of understanding the many layers of these books a little better.  There is so much to throw yourself into and I appreciate any and all thoughts.  [I love the Gatsby idea, I have seen others discussing Gatsby as inspiration]

A close re-read is a great idea, I had been thinking the same.  With a new, clearer vision of what we're looking for, I'd be very much up for that.  Thank you for sharing some of your key words regarding the Direwolves, all help much appreciated.  And thanks on the 'flapping' catch, it was exciting to find some of these links.  :)

On your questions/thoughts.  Why Crows ?  Good question, not something I have thought too much about, I see a lot of sense in your ideas.   

And I totally agree about Bran and his rapid learning curve.  You've summed that up very well.  How far down the road is he already ?  In the last throws of his last chapter he speaks with BR and discusses his powers.

'' Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood.  The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use.... but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.''
'' When.''  Bran wanted to know.
'' In a year, or three, or ten.  That I have not glimpsed.  It will come in time I promise you.  But I am tired now, and the trees are calling me.  We will resume on the morrow.''

'Not limited to any Godswood and see well beyond the trees themselves' sounds kind of like the ability to use the wind/mist/fog as BR has.  This sounds tough as it may take a year or ten to master, however we're seeing Bran in the wind in the very first paragraph of the very next chapter.  A further sign we have a prodigy on our hands after all the clues to be found in Bran's last chapter.    :)

:wub:Hello Wiz!  Good to hear from you.:D

Regarding the reread, I am opened to suggestions.  Perhaps we should “close read” Bran’s POVs in ADwD?  Then, we might tackle Arya, Jon, and Theon – attending to the “before and after” of Bran’s final POV.

“Close reading” is what you and I have been doing, taking passages and finding language that Martin patterns with relevance to all the novels as a whole.  We attend to what we know as ‘hints’ of Bran, or insinuations of the old gods of the north manifesting a presence.

***But if you are “game”, I would like to propose rereading in the Wiz-Bang-Evita style, where we take each POV passage by passage instead of swallowing it whole and regurgitating all that we find.

AND – no pressure!  We take our time – and we understand not “everything” will mean “something”!  However, in Bran’s POVs especially, I do think close examination is worthwhile – I posted something about Martin’s stylistic change when Bran enters the 3EC’s Cave.  Here are my notes:

OBSERVATION 13:  SOUNDS

Martin marks the journey of Bran and company to the Cave of Skulls with long periods of silence shattered by harsh, discordant noises, such as the ravens screaming, their leathern wings flapping, even Hodor screaming “Hodor”:  “Hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor.”

·        Martin’s decision to employ figurative language and poetic devices is evident in his repetition of words and sounds, in his forgoing commas when using items in a series, in his pattern of grouping words in some series of numbers.  In the example above, the pattern of lines is four words, four words, then five words, all of which share a balance and a center.

·        The words may be delivered musically, such as a chant or a lilt.  Martin has fun with his omission of commas in similar examples, which contrast sharply with those instances the items in a series are mechanically and grammatically sound.

Once Bran and his group enter the Cave of Skulls, Martin’s language becomes more poetic and lyrical, an homage to those who sing the song of earth.  The singers and their heart-breaking voices are one redeeming feature of the time spent in the Cave of Skulls.

As a matter of fact, Martin creates a rhythm by repeating key words and phrases intermittently over the course of Bran’s Cave of Skulls POV’s.

For instance, the phasing moon announces nightfall, but Martin’s language is repeated word for word.  Actually, this is a great epic tradition:  repetition of words and sound which some scholars believe assisted the bard’s in memorizing long works for oral performances.

·        “The moon was fat and full” (ADwD 448, 452).

·        “The moon was a black hole in the sky” (ADwD 449, 455).

·        “The moon was a crescent, thin and sharp as the blade of a knife” (ADwD 454).

Repetition of key words and phrases establish transitions and tell the passage of time. Martin enriches his narratives through styling language with a myriad of poetic devices.  He evokes a mental picture with the moon as a black hole in the sky, and he uses simile, the crescent moon is “thin and sharp as the blade of a knife”. These are but a few examples of how Martin makes music with words.

To demonstrate Martin’s poetic style, I will write in verse a passage from Bran’s last POV in ADwD:

The Cave of Skulls

Timeless, vast, silent

Were the caves

They were Home

To three score singers

The bones of thousands

Dead

Far below

The hollow hill

So, here begins Bran I, ADwD:

Are we there yet?

Bran never said the words aloud, but they were often on his lips as their ragged company trudged through groves of ancient oaks and towering grey-green sentinels, past gloomy soldier pines and bare brown chestnut trees. Are we near? the boy would wonder, as Hodor clambered up a stony slope, or descended into some dark crevice where drifts of dirty snow cracked beneath his feet. How much farther? he would think, as the great elk splashed across a half-frozen stream. How much longer? It’s so cold. Where is the three-eyed crow?

Swaying in his wicker basket on Hodor’s back, the boy hunched down, ducking his head as the big stableboy passed beneath the limb of an oak. The snow was falling again, wet and heavy. Hodor walked with one eye frozen shut, his thick brown beard a tangle of hoarfrost, icicles drooping from the ends of his bushy mustache. One gloved hand still clutched the rusty iron longsword he had taken from the crypts below Winterfell, and from time to time he would lash out at a branch, knocking loose a spray of snow. “Hod-d-d-dor,” he would mutter, his teeth chattering.

What do you think of the Wiz-Bang-Evita Style? :o

After we compare and discuss our notes, I will post the next few passages.

Or I can post a series of passages so that we can work ahead.

I will share with you some of the motifs I have followed since AGoT whenever it becomes relevant. 

What do you think?  Maybe you have a better idea?  I’m opened to suggestions.

:PThanks again, Wiz-the-Smith:wub: You are a keen collaborator.  I apologize for being a bore, bringing up literary allusions in a fashion similar to professors whom I despised for doing this very thing!

Hey, I have a fun literary allusion to Martin’s ASoIaFThe Wizard of Oz – either the novel or the musical – it works out either way, and there’s no wrong answer.  [BTW/ The author of Oz supposedly found inspiration in Homer’s Odyssey for his theme “there’s no place like home”!

Who’s off to see the Wizard?

Who is the Wonderful Wizard of Oz?

The Munchkins?

Dorothy?

Toto?

Cowardly Lion?

Tin Man?

Scarecrow?

Wicked Witch?

~~~~~snip~~~~~~

Forgiveness

I agree with you.  I confused new age ideas with Martin's characters. With great knowledge must come a higher understanding of man's essential dark nature.  

But there is an example of a request for the hearing of sins and forgiveness in the books; on the Quiet Isle, the Elder Brother asks Septon Meribald to hear confessions of the brothers and novices.  Both the EB and SM are keepers of the faith of the Seven.  Just wanted to mention that this motif has been introduced to the story.  :)

edt; also in the same chapter, not being able to forgive someone is there too, as the EB tells SM that he can't forgive Ser Quincy Cox of his sin of not protecting the smallfok during the Saltpans raid. 

Last note, when the EB asks to have the confessions heard, he asks SM to 'absolve' them of their sins, but later speaks of being unable to forgive Ser Cox.   Checking around I see that absolve =/= forgiveness.  Perhaps Bran absolved Theon of some of his sins, but is unable to forgive him?

Hi Evita!  I adore the Wizz-bang-Evita-style!  :D  That sounds perfect.  Thank you again for some of what you’re sharing here, there is so much, I'm loving it.  I particularly like the point about the words being delivered musically in the cave, that is awesome!

And I agree with your idea of Bran’s three chapters first, then on to the others, and here’s a rough shot at the first passage you posted above.

‘Swaying in his wicker basket’ sounds like more bird terminology, building the bird motif around Bran.  I’m unsure if it’s Bran that is swaying, or the wicker basket, however birds kept as pets [Parrots, budgies etc…] often sway in their cages.  Maybe nothing but thought worth mentioning anyway.

Hodor was temporarily one eyed and this just after the Three eyed crow was mentioned in Bran’s thoughts.  Interesting.  The one eye thing always has me wondering, especially as Hodor has been skinchanged before, again this may be nothing, nut noted.

Some more detail about the sword from the crypts.  Not just taken for safety as logic may suggest, but referenced in the text again.  Hmmm….  With all you've noted on those swords, worth keeping an eye on text around the this as well maybe?

Bran was thinking to himself a lot in this passage, not sure of any significance but again something I noticed.  Hope this is ok Evita, I look forward to posting with you and trying to break down these wonderful books, and this exciting line of enquiry.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody!  :)

This is inspired by Evita and some of the techniques she has shown throughout her OP, namely rustling trees, the wind, and giving it that animalistic/humanistic presence.  Plus a couple of other cool possibilities.

I reread the prologue of AGOT and some stuff jumped out at me, so made some notes.  Here’s my breakdown of the chapter concentrating on the wind, this is the first thing any Asoiaf fan read back in 1996.

The first mention of the wind was instantly familiar.

A cold wind was blowing out of the north, and made the trees rustle like living things.  All day, Will had felt as though something were watching him…….

‘’You have a chill?’’ Royce asked

‘’The wind, m’lord.’’

The wind is out of the north again, this term is used regularly.  But also it makes the trees rustle like living things, with what we now know, looking back this is a very cool line.  Will felt like they were being watched, the insinuation in this chapter is that it’s probably the Others that have been watching them.  But I wouldn’t rule out the wind either.  I feel there may be a separation of the cold wind and the cold itself the Others bring in this same chapter.

[Gared] ‘’Everyone talks about snows forty foot deep, and how the ice wind comes 'howling' out of the north, but the real enemy is the cold.’’                

A couple of paragraphs later.

Somewhere off in the wood a wolf 'howled'.

This is the first time the wind is given an animalistic trait as it comes howling out the north.  Then as if to confirm he may be using this technique, George gives us the wolf howl almost right away.  Also if you think of the wind as being inhabited or its own entity, then a closer look at the end of the sentence basically says………. ‘The personified wind is one thing but the cold is another entirely’ the real enemy in fact.  Of course the wind is cold especially beyond the wall, but there’s a possible separation later as this comes up again at the end of the chapter, but here’s some more wind.

A cold wind 'whispered' through the trees.  His [Royce’s] great sable cloak stirred behind 'like something half alive.'

Will could feel it.  Four years in the Nights Watch and he had never been so afraid. What was it?

‘’Wind.  Trees rustling.  A wolf.  Which sound is it that unmans you so Gared?’’

Another personification of the wind as it 'whispers through the trees', again this is an awesome sentence, it’s probably BR in the wind at this point and he does indeed whisper through trees.  And it plays with Royce’s cloak which becomes like something half alive, this is the second time that George has the wind make things come alive/half alive in the chapter.  And the half alive bit on top of the whispering through trees certainly sounds like BR to me.

Then as if to spell it out George basically lists all the things I noticed about this chapter in one foul swoop.  Wind.  Trees rustling.  And a wolf.  Wallop! :P  I think this was an extremely early set up for the wind technique, the AGOT prologue at that, awesome!  The wind continues and is mentioned another four times, I will list them sequentially.

He stood there beside the sentinel, longsword in hand, his cloak billowing behind him as the wind came up, outlined nobly against the stars for all to see.

[Will on climbing]  There was no use to argue.  The wind was moving.  It cut right through him.

Branches stirred gently in the wind, scratching at one another with wooden fingers.

He threw the long sable cloak back over his shoulders, to free his arms for battle, and took his sword in both hands.  The wind had stopped.  It was very cold.

So more cloak play, and the wooden fingers scratching at one another is cool.  But not quite as much descriptive text, I have noticed this when posting about Jon’s chapters.  Perhaps once an early presence has been set up, there are some more subtle text around the wind to avoid repeating the phrases too much.

Then the possible separation of the cold wind and the cold itself.  The last two sentences are interesting.  

‘The wind had stopped and It was very cold’ placed against the earlier notion that ‘The ice wind comes howling out of the north, but the real enemy is the cold’  

The wind stopped and was not seen again as soon as the Others [and their cold] actually turn up to kill Waymar.  It’s as if the wind had seen enough, plus the real enemy has just turned up!

In conclusion

With all that Evita has shown in her OP and subsequent posts, plus all I’ve learned off of her around this subject this chapter seemed packed full of evidence.  This seems like the original set up for this whole technique.  Perhaps showing us that this is in fact definitely happening and has been happening since the very first chapter anyone read back in 1996.

Trees turning into living things, cloaks looking half alive, the north wind howling and whispering [through trees no less] rustling trees, the wolf, the wind leaving when the real enemy turn up, Georges Wind.  Trees rustling.  A wolf hint etc…………….  This is very cool, and surprisingly early in the piece.

Finally, there is a similar flow to this technique regards the wind to what I saw when breaking down Jon’s ADWD chapters.  A presence may be hinted at early then played with throughout the rest of said chapter.  Anyway, this being as early as it is, thought it well worth posting.  :D

Hey Meera and thanks! :)  It’s exciting, and without going too mad, we get this in the next chapter. 

Bran I.

A faint wind blew through the holdfast gate.  Over their heads flapped the banner of the Starks of Winterfell : a grey Direwolf racing across an ice-white field.

Bran’s father sat solemnly on his horse, long brown hair stirring in the wind.

The wind used the gate, how very civil of it.  And then blew around/showed an interest in Ned.  If, as I suspect BR was present in the prologue then it would make sense he would follow this up and want to know the outcome.  Plus he’s in some important company I suppose.  He has been watching Bran for ages anyway.  The wind dies after this, but we get another possible option with the Direwolf pup, when discussing killing them………..

‘’The sooner the better.’’ Theon Greyjoy agreed.  He drew his sword. ‘’Give the beast here, Bran.’’

The little thing squirmed against him, as if it heard and understood. ‘’No!’’ Bran cried out fiercely.  ‘’It’s mine.’’

As if it heard and understood. Hmmm, this sounds like a possible presence?  And then the fact Jon seemed to hear Ghost when no one else did?  'The wind was rustling the trees' when this happened, this maybe nothing but worth noting.  Or maybe he’s tapping into their ‘magic’ already, and that’s why he could hear the call?  Bran thinks later that it’s odd Jon’s pup ‘’has opened its eyes already.’’  Speculative, but all worth considering for sure.

BTW, the next chapter, Catelyn I, happens in front of the Winterfell Heart Tree.  So BR was surely present there as well.  Bran is going to learn all these tricks of the trade, in fact I think he's already nailing most of them.  Close attention needed to the text, but the possibilities are vast!   :D

Hey Wizz and Meera.  Great posts Wizz.   Your posts made me want to see if there were mentions of wind in Bran's vision where he learns to fly.  Interestingly, they were only two and both brief.  Here is the set up, the first one is when Bran is looking at Winterfell from above, and the last thing he looks at is

At the heart of the godswood, the great white weirwood brooded over it's reflection in the black pool, it's leaves rustling in a chill wind.  When it felt Bran watching, it lifted it's eyes from the still waters and stared back knowingly.

How great is that?  A chill wind, a look knowing look from WF's weirwood tree?  I think this is the first example of a weirwood tree being sentient rather than just seeming spookily sentient.

And later

Bran spread his arms and flew.

Wings unseen drank the wind and filled and pulled him upward.

The tone concerning the wind changes when Bran begins to fly.  The wind is not associated with being chilly or other negatives.  It fills and pulls him upward and away from death and destruction. 

Hey Wizz and Meera.  Great posts Wizz.   Your posts made me want to see if there were mentions of wind in Bran's vision where he learns to fly.  Interestingly, they were only two and both brief.  Here is the set up, the first one is when Bran is looking at Winterfell from above, and the last thing he looks at is

''At the heart of the godswood, the great white weirwood brooded over it's reflection in the black pool, it's leaves rustling in a chill wind.  When it felt Bran watching, it lifted it's eyes from the still waters and stared back knowingly.''

How great is that?  A chill wind, a look knowing look from WF's weirwood tree?  I think this is the first example of a weirwood tree being sentient rather than just seeming spookily sentient.  And later......

''Bran spread his arms and flew.

Wings unseen drank the wind and filled and pulled him upward.''

The tone concerning the wind changes when Bran begins to fly.  The wind is not associated with being chilly or other negatives.  It fills and pulls him upward and away from death and destruction. 

Thanks Longie!  This is thought provoking.  These quotes are from Bran's dream, correct?  Therefore the wind isn't actually present so to speak.  But the 'leaves rustling in a chill wind' calls to mind my earlier quote from the prologue A cold wind was blowing out of the north, and ''made the trees rustle like living things.''

The leaves were rustling and the tree seemed to come alive, very interesting.  And it stared back knowingly, Mormont's raven does that later with Jon.  Hmmm.   Thanks.  :)

Bran 'spreading his arms to fly, while wings unseen drank the wind and filled and pulled him upward' is a nice and positive association with the wind as you point out.  But BR was already there in his dream and the Three-eyed-crow, pecking away at his forehead, the wind being present may just back this notion that it seems one to watch with BR.

However, this scene does strengthen the bird imagery that will continue to be built around Bran.  He spreads his unseen wings and flew after a bird told him to, and all this from the vantage of a birds eye view.  Good thinking Longie!  :D   

Something else for Evita in my look at the first section of Bran I ADWD.  I had said........

‘Swaying in his wicker basket’ sounds like more bird terminology, building the bird motif around Bran.  I’m unsure if it’s Bran that is swaying, or the wicker basket, however birds kept as pets [Parrots, budgies etc…] often sway in their cages.  Maybe nothing but thought worth mentioning anyway.

I missed something.  A bird in a wicker basket is effectively in a cage.  This one is swaying.  So is this an allusion to the swaying winch lift/cage ride Jon and co take around the wind in his ADWD chapters?  The cloak snaps at the iron bars of the lift/cage IIRC, as if imprisoned.  :dunno:

Longie.  I can't seem to edit at the moment, but wanted to say nice post!  :D  The leaves rustling in the chill wind and weirwood coming alive while looking knowingly is an awesome visual, and a nice grab on the text!

Plus the wind being around this event at all is perfect for what we're looking for here. Early BR signatures to look for moving forward, with a view to Bran gaining all this knowledge.  Great shout.  :cheers: 

You're welcome Wizz!  Thinking on the passage, the weirwood tree looking at Bran is more important than the wind methinks.

At the heart of the godswood, the great white weirwood brooded over it's reflection in the black pool, it's leaves rustling in a chill wind.  When it felt Bran watching, it lifted it's eyes from the still waters and stared back knowingly.

The tree is described as seeing; brooding over it's reflection and staring back at Bran.  Before, it was merely scary with it's carved red face, now it's alive and watching Bran.  Like it always has. Bran and reader may have felt that, didn't really know. 

What is cool about this is, is that it's in Bran's very exciting vision and gets lost in all the other imagery going on in the passage.  He sees the three figures next, and the fans (including me) have argued about that but missed that GRRM shows us that the weirwood trees are alive and have been watching Bran. GRRM hid this clue early and in plain sight and it was easy to miss.    :)

Hey Meera and thanks! :)  It’s exciting, and without going too mad, we get this in the next chapter. 

Bran I.

A faint wind blew through the holdfast gate.  Over their heads flapped the banner of the Starks of Winterfell : a grey Direwolf racing across an ice-white field.

Bran’s father sat solemnly on his horse, long brown hair stirring in the wind.

The wind used the gate, how very civil of it.  And then blew around/showed an interest in Ned.  If, as I suspect BR was present in the prologue then it would make sense he would follow this up and want to know the outcome.  Plus he’s in some important company I suppose.  He has been watching Bran for ages anyway.  The wind dies after this, but we get another possible option with the Direwolf pup, when discussing killing them………..

‘’The sooner the better.’’ Theon Greyjoy agreed.  He drew his sword. ‘’Give the beast here, Bran.’’

The little thing squirmed against him, as if it heard and understood. ‘’No!’’ Bran cried out fiercely.  ‘’It’s mine.’’

As if it heard and understood. Hmmm, this sounds like a possible presence?  And then the fact Jon seemed to hear Ghost when no one else did?  'The wind was rustling the trees' when this happened, this maybe nothing but worth noting.  Or maybe he’s tapping into their ‘magic’ already, and that’s why he could hear the call?  Bran thinks later that it’s odd Jon’s pup ‘’has opened its eyes already.’’  Speculative, but all worth considering for sure.

BTW, the next chapter, Catelyn I, happens in front of the Winterfell Heart Tree.  So BR was surely present there as well.  Bran is going to learn all these tricks of the trade, in fact I think he's already nailing most of them.  Close attention needed to the text, but the possibilities are vast!   :D

Yes, that’s very intriguing! If BR or a similar presence was there all the time with him since the beginning, it actually makes sense because just after That Bran falls and experiences the strange dream when BR is 100x100 there.

I’m actually finishing AGot (I was a show watcher-turned reader and started ASOIAF with Storm-a friend lend me that book first instead of the first two books- and now I am reading those two. However, I’ve read Arya’s and most of Bran’s chapters from Clash) but these threads about Bran makes me want to read all Bran’s chapters again from the beginning because I didn’t pay attention to everything related to nature, wind and Bran’s powers when reading it first time!

Of course there is the possibility that we are overthinking too much and maybe taking ideas which are unintentional to be real. But I think that rereading is the best way to prove if that theory actually makes sense or not.

Plus the wind being around this event at all is perfect for what we're looking for here. Early BR signatures to look for moving forward, with a view to Bran gaining all this knowledge.  Great shout.  :cheers: 

So here we are, it was there all the time in AGOT.

Also, about Bran's growing powers, I want to share a paragraph with you (I don't know if it has been mentioned before here 'cause I haven't had time to read everything):

BRAN III

The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves."
"When?" Bran wanted to know.
"In a year, or three, or ten. That I have not glimpsed. It will come in time, I promise you. But I am tired now, and the trees are calling me. We will resume on the morrow."

Here BR is saying that he doesn't know when Bran will be able to have "professional" visions. But I wonder if it is a subtle (and foreshadowing) way from GRRM to say than even BR doesn't know up to which point Bran's powers will grow. After all, he hasn't seen it.

Two possibilities:

1. Bran will be the greatest greenseer of all time -Will he be changing the stablished rules of greenseeing?

2. Bran will never be a greenseer and leave the cave.

Even both 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive. (He could change the rules and leave the cave to save the world).

You're welcome Wizz!  Thinking on the passage, the weirwood tree looking at Bran is more important than the wind methinks.

What is cool about this is, is that it's in Bran's very exciting vision and gets lost in all the other imagery going on in the passage.  He sees the three figures next, and the fans (including me) have argued about that but missed that GRRM shows us that the weirwood trees are alive and have been watching Bran. GRRM hid this clue early and in plain sight and it was easy to miss.    :)

Hey Longie, yeah I feel the WW tree is more important in this section.  The wind has none of the descriptive text we're looking for around it, but it still associated with BR and helps Bran.  After the prologue bit about the 'leaves rustling making the trees living things', your post was definitely cool.  The wind making the leaves rustle happen in the chapter after the prologue : Bran I when Jon hears and finds Ghost.  Evita has posted about the leaves rustling, Now we got a weirwood coming alive after said rustling in your post.  Could these be the first clues of such a technique blossoming?  More evidence needed but very promising I'd say.

It feels like GRRM's way of having Tolkien's trees coming alive.  George won't go so far as to have them walk about, but in dreams, well, he has far more licence to play with such a thing.  All the while the leaves rustling in the actual text should definitely be watched I feel. 

I agree all this is easy to miss, let's face it, it's only once we meet BR we become aware of what we're really looking for, and these are literary techniques I personally wasn't aware of until reading Evita's fine OP.  So a work in progress I suppose.  :)      

Yes, that’s very intriguing! If BR or a similar presence was there all the time with him since the beginning, it actually makes sense because just after That Bran falls and experiences the strange dream when BR is 100x100 there.

Of course there is the possibility that we are overthinking too much and maybe taking ideas which are unintentional to be real. But I think that rereading is the best way to prove if that theory actually makes sense or not.

It is very intriguing, I do feel I'm seeing some evidence regards the personification of the wind, and that's it's related to BR/Old Gods/Greenseer x.  There is the possibility of looking into stuff too much, bemused has noted on this thread before that sometimes the wind is just the wind.  It's the descriptive text I'm looking for, human or animal traits in the wind. Things like howling, whispering [through trees even better], biting, pushing, etc.......  All the possible text is worth looking at closely, and as you say a reread section is the best place for it.  Let's hope we continue to find plenty of evidence.  :D  

Archived