Heresy 172

Black Crow

Aren't unicorns supposed to look caprines? Ice sídhe/sìth riding unicorns. Can't get more celtic than that. Have you ever seen the map of Westeros and that British isle? Makes complete sense! :eek:

Zombie unicorns? Ha! Does sound celtic, but also like a terrifying version of My Little Pony.

This reminded me of the "Wild Hunt" myths that exist... and suddenly there's a framework to view what the Others are doing... they're leading a Wild Hunt. So the Others should have this for theme music then? :cool4:

A wild hunt with zombie sheep hunting dire wolves? I like it. And very much like the idea of it's all having a soundtrack. :)

The sheep become the ice spiders we're yet to see but featuring heavily in tales/legends :P

Maybe very wooly sheep look like they have extra legs? I'd always thought the spiders were pure fiction--maybe not. ^_^

That would be really sad for Westeros. Aegon looks a far better ruler than Dany.

True--but that may not help him win, sadly.

Might it be that we have a reversal of the last Dance, where the male won, but the female line continued on the throne? Perhaps Aegon marries and gets his wife pregnant, and Dany fearing that she's barren keeps Aegon's wife and child close and declares it her heir?

Just a thought that popped into my head.

Possible--now we just need Aegon married.

You have a point with the sacrifice vs offering. What gets me is the tree is "blackened by fire" not blackened by ashes or something like that. It sounds like the bodies are burned in the tree. Lol.

Jon and/or Mormont says he is giving them to the woods, but the white walkers walk the woods. And Craster is a godly man who acknowledges guest right and expects it of others. :)

That's an interesting point, haven't thought of it that way.

Zombie unicorns? Ha! Does sound celtic, but also like a terrifying version of My Little Pony.

A wild hunt with zombie sheep hunting dire wolves? I like it. And very much like the idea of it's all having a soundtrack. :)

Maybe very wooly sheep look like they have extra legs? I'd always thought the spiders were pure fiction--maybe not. ^_^

Well, if you're turning them into ice creatures anyway, you might as well mould 2 of them together - then you get something with 8 legs and 4 eyes, easily mistaken for a spider :leaving:

This reminded me of the "Wild Hunt" myths that exist... and suddenly there's a framework to view what the Others are doing... they're leading a Wild Hunt. So the Others should have this for theme music then? :cool4:

Oh yes indeedy, the parallel between the walkers and the wild hunt has been noted and extensively discussed in the past - as has Ramsay's conscious [?] imitation of it.

I read the theory--it is fun. But I can't see how or why it could work. A lot of people seem to have seen Rhaegar die--and then scrambled for the rubies. . . .

Agreed.

The only way I could see Rhaegar living was if he was stripped of his armour and his body allowed to float off downstream to the Quiet Isle. The cremation referred to by GRRM doesn't actually signify in that it was a necessary step to prove to the groundlings that the Prince was dead and for that any bloody corpse would do. It wasn't as is he was lying in state.

Whether, if so, it'll actually amount to anything I really don't know but I would laugh like a drain if he lived long enough to deny he was the one who knocked Lyanna up and that Jon Snow's father is/was....

Yes--I just struggle to see a civil war between Jon and Dany. The Others and wights, with or without ice spiders, seem like a looming problem. Could maybe see a dance between Dany and Aegon--I don't have a good feeling about Aegon's survival. Death by Dany seems feasible. Could see that happening a bit in the south before Dany has to turn north to help with the Others.

While the detail is shifting the synopsis is pretty clear on this. The Starks and Lannisters tear the realm apart; Danaerys tools up and takes the Iron Throne; then she [not Jon Snow] has to rally everyone against the horror from the North. It seems pretty clear therefore that any Dance of the Dragons is exactly what ADwD is about; its the emergence of a rival Targaryen claimant in the shape of Young Aegon.

While the detail is shifting the synopsis is pretty clear on this. The Starks and Lannisters tear the realm apart; Danaerys tools up and takes the Iron Throne; then she [not Jon Snow] has to rally everyone against the horror from the North. It seems pretty clear therefore that any Dance of the Dragons is exactly what ADwD is about; its the emergence of a rival Targaryen claimant in the shape of Young Aegon.

But isn't there a quote in one of the Arianne sample chapters of a girl that says she dreams of dragons dancing and everywhere they danced there was destruction, or something to that effect?

Agreed.

The only way I could see Rhaegar living was if he was stripped of his armour and his body allowed to float off downstream to the Quiet Isle. The cremation referred to by GRRM doesn't actually signify in that it was a necessary step to prove to the groundlings that the Prince was dead and for that any bloody corpse would do. It wasn't as is he was lying in state.

Whether, if so, it'll actually amount to anything I really don't know but I would laugh like a drain if he lived long enough to deny he was the one who knocked Lyanna up and that Jon Snow's father is/was....

My insomnia is again getting the better of me, but...

I believe that on at least one occasion, I think it was Tyrion said something to the effect of at least Rhaegar Targaryan is still dead. Wouldn't it be ironic if he were truly still alive?

I can't say that I really believe it, or even have any inkling of how it could be true, but let's just say that for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me.

I believe that on at least one occasion, I think it was Tyrion said something to the effect of at least Rhaegar Targaryan is still dead. Wouldn't it be ironic if he were truly still alive?

I can't say that I really believe it, or even have any inkling of how it could be true, but let's just say that for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me.

welllllllll, there is a theory that someone else(likely richard lonmouth) wore rhaegar's armor on the trident and that rhaegar is now mance. it would explain mance's interest in jon. it would explain the line "they found him still holding her" (in this case they is ned and howland and him is rhaegar)

it's not one i personally believe (because mance was already at the wall before the rebellion) but i don't discount it entirely

But isn't there a quote in one of the Arianne sample chapters of a girl that says she dreams of dragons dancing and everywhere they danced there was destruction, or something to that effect?

that seems to back up the fact that dany and aegon fight? no?

Agreed.

well i doubt that last would happen. if rhaegar is alive and that is a big if, he is definitely mance, and mance basically treats jon like his secret father would. he hops the wall to check on him at least twice. he takes him in at his word very quickly and doesnt even get mad when jon lies to him about the fist.

the music, the natural leadership, the continuous playing of "jenny of oldstones"

theoretically, the could have cremated richard lonmouth's body after he died in rhaegar's place. with one ruby left to maintain the glamor(six have washed up on the quiet isle and they are looking for one more) but i can imagine that they have removed rhaegar's armor before cremation.

so again, it is likely that rhaegar died, but if there is any chance he didn't, then he is mance and thus would only confirm that he is jon's father

Oh yes indeedy, the parallel between the walkers and the wild hunt has been noted and extensively discussed in the past - as has Ramsay's conscious [?] imitation of it.

Yes--Ramsay and his hunt as the wild hunt freaks me out. Am really hoping it's sort of like Craster getting something right re: the "cold gods" but definitely not all of it. If nothing else, it would give a purpose to including discussions of Ramsay's hunts. Otherwise, it's just horror for the sake of it. Not that such things don't exist in Martin land, but I do hope I didn't have to read about those horrible hunts for nothing but horror.

Well, if you're turning them into ice creatures anyway, you might as well mould 2 of

them together - then you get something with 8 legs and 4 eyes, easily mistaken for a spider :leaving:

Moulded wooly sheep zombies show up--I'm stealing your hiding place.

Ice Crabs!!!

Okay--I already find crabs and lobsters freaky--don't need ice crabs, too.

Agreed.

So, he himself could be the seventh ruby, incarnate? :)

And that he was hiding out with Howland the entire time.

I agree--it's not impossible and would be irony. I just think that the irony re: Rhaegar is that for all Robert's and Ned's fighting him, he's still potentially got a huge influence. He doesn't need to be alive to keep affecting the story through to the end.

welllllllll, there is a theory that someone else(likely richard lonmouth) wore rhaegar's armor on the trident and that rhaegar is now mance. it would explain mance's interest in jon. it would explain the line "they found him still holding her" (in this case they is ned and howland and him is rhaegar)

it's not one i personally believe (because mance was already at the wall before the rebellion) but i don't discount it entirely

I grant Rhaegar could be alive--but Mance has plenty of reason to be interested in the Bastard of Winterfell completely outside of Rhaegar. The Starks seem to be of interest north of the Wall per se. Just can't see how if Rhaegar is alive he'd have to be Mance. The hypothetical is fun--but pretty sure it's just a hypothetical.

Well we have the theories that the rubies on Rhaegars armor where used for glamouring , just like Mel does. So the Rhaegar that died on the trident wasnt Rhaegar . I like the theory , but i think he is dead.

I think we have to turn to the mummers' version here. They know the ending even if they don't necessarily know how GRRM is getting there but Mance being Rhaegar and doing an "I am your father" is so big there's no way they could get away with killing him off as they did. I suspect that book Mance is doomed, whatever he's really up to and having decided to substitute Sansa for the False Arya and perhaps ultimately the real Arya too, he and his story arc became redundant

I'm sure the dragons will turn out to be terrible and destructive but I'm also inclined to see that as Danaerys and Aegon and whatever Varys is really up to.

Well we have the theories that the rubies on Rhaegars armor where used for glamouring , just like Mel does. So the Rhaegar that died on the trident wasnt Rhaegar . I like the theory , but i think he is dead.

Yes indeed, the point I was making up above is even if by some curious chance he does live, he isn't a player

Archived