A Dance with Dragons Release Discussion

Tree of Ni

Information will appear on his official website before it appears here. Check 'Ice & Fire Update' for the latest news on the book and 'Not a Blog' for GRRM's semi-regular reports on how things are going in his life generally.

Book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire is called A Dance with Dragons. It is currently being written by George R.R. Martin. No release date has been confirmed as yet, but George has said that he plans to deliver it to the publishers by the end of this year, which would possibly mean a late spring/early summer release next year. This is only speculation, and it is possible that George may deliver the book earlier (meaning an earlier publication) or later (meaning a later publication).

According to GRRM's 'Not a Blog' entry dd 08/17, he will have written as good as nothing more of ADWD in August 06. He aims to do better in September 06. Adding this up to the slow writing pace since the beginning of this year, I guess we can be pretty sure that delivering the story by the end of this year will be close to impossible.

I would not put my money on any delivery date before spring/early summer of 2007, resulting in a release date end 2007. No problem for me. I prefer a great book above a quick and poorly written one. After all, we have been through worse by now than waiting for a mere 2 years ;)

Obviously this is new information and not reflected in the original post. However, speculating on release dates isn't entirely too healthy. Until we get more info from George on the matter, I'm letting the above information stand. I did at a caveat that it might be delivered later, and thus published later as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Neither Bantam nor Voyager would put the book on pre-release notification until it's finished and they have it in their hands, from which it will be a 5-6-month turnaround to it hitting the shelves. So, taking into account the month GRRM recently lost in writing the book, say it's delivered at the end of January, that's the end of June to the end of July 2007 at the earliest it can be published. I'm worried that if it gets to that stage the publishers may decide to hold it back for the Christmas hardcover market.

I think people are "bummed" over the idea that the publisher might decide to hold ADwD for the Christmas market even if they could publish it a few months earlier. I'm rather doubtful, though, because I don't expect Christmas would give the 5th book in a series much of a boost.

The World of Ice and Fire, on the other hand, would make a lovely Christmas gift, don't you guys think? ;)

I think people are "bummed" over the idea that the publisher might decide to hold ADwD for the Christmas market even if they could publish it a few months earlier. I'm rather doubtful, though, because I don't expect Christmas would give the 5th book in a series much of a boost.

4th quarter is the only profitable quarter for the major booksellers and there is a substantial increase in sales for most titles regardless of merit. So holding for Christmas makes sense. However it's not like a Christmas release of a movie -- I would say that October falls within the Christmas "halo" effect.

Folks, this thread is for the posting of information concerning the release of the next book. wfzimmerman's is a good example of this -- someone speculates about a 4th quarter release, and he provides information regarding why a publisher might do that.

If you don't have information or thoughts specifically related to the release date or other information related to information GRRM has provided about ADwD, don't post here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to let that slide, Reaver, since I'm assuming you didn't actually read what I posted. To quote myself and emphasize some of what I wrote:

wfzimmerman's is a good example of this -- someone speculatesabout a 4th quarter release, and he provides information regarding why a publisher might do that...

If you don't have information or thoughts...

Speculation is obviously fine, otherwise I wouldn't be using the fact that W.F.'s post was good information due to someone's speculation upthread, or the word "thoughts".

Just make it reasonable speculation about the release date based on the information we have. What I expressly don't want to happen, however, is for this thread to become devoted to series-junkie ravings about needing one's fix sooner rather than later or groundless speculations based either on optimism or pessimism.

If people can't do that, we'll just keep this thread strictly about actual hard information.

Which reminds me...

Werthead,

GRRM has said he won't be finishing the Dunk & Egg story until after he's done with ADwD. Might be something to insert in the last paragraph of the update.

I give it to you for what it's worth, but on the amazon.fr website, they anounce ADWD (edited by Voyager) for february 2007. Don't know if it's reliable, though, but if it's true...

Here is the link :

http://www.amazon.fr/Dance-Dragons-George-...s=english-books

Well, it doesn't seem to be really reliable since a bit farther you find the same book same editor with a date of release in august 2007. Sorry about it :(

You can delete it if you want.

Amazon is definitely not reliable in this case. George sometimes wonders where they get these dates from, and supposes they just conjure them out of the air. The standard system seems to be to put the earliest possible guess in on a book when it's put in their system, and then just keep pushing it back.

The only reliable source of information is GRRM on his own website, basically.

Well, it doesn't seem to be really reliable since a bit farther you find the same book same editor with a date of release in august 2007. Sorry about it :(

You can delete it if you want.

no, that's because the second is a paperback, which is released 6 months (more or less) after the hard cover. however, Amazon has stated the February release date since november 2005 (yes, my friends...), postponed it once, taken it back to february in the last couple of months.

i do not think it is reliable. they probably have some indications, but hey, if we know from the author the book is not finished, and If we'll know from George when it will be finished, that's the only exact info we can get...

Given the confessions of GRRM involved with his roof repairs and his time spent in cons and other tours this past year, the question of a 2006 release was answered LONG ago.

As in: not a snowball's chance.

The real issue right now is if there will be a 2007 release, or if we are headed to 2008. If it is 2007, I expect a November release, at best.

My heart says spring 2008.

In some ways, it's too bad for impatient fans that these books are so successful. If George was having to write to pay the rent, my guess is he'd be a lot more focussed and writing a lot more quickly :)

Such is life; I do not begrudge GRRM his success in the least. I do think, however, that arguments over a 2006 release is ostrich-head-in-the-sand stuff though. Wakey wakey people.

Are people still arguing for a 2006 release? I'm very surprised and rather doubtful. :)

We don't really know how close he is to finishing. He will be returning from his tour/con soon and then he has the rest of the year to make solid progress. Its still far too early to give up on a 2007 release. I'm hopeful.

Werthead,

GRRM has said he won't be finishing the Dunk & Egg story until after he's done with ADwD. Might be something to insert in the last paragraph of the update.

Interesting! I had assumed he'd wanted to keep the situation so that he was releasing a short story or sample novella between each novel, but obviously not. Hopefully this news is because he wants to focus hard on ADWD?

On the (neverending) subject of release dates, I see July 2007 as achievable based on GRRM finishing by the end of January. If it goes beyond that, who knows?

On the (neverending) subject of release dates, I see July 2007 as achievable based on GRRM finishing by the end of January. If it goes beyond that, who knows?

And the fact that he secretly wants to go head to head with Rowlings again, since she took his hugo in 2000. :)

Then again, next July for HP7 is just speculation too...

Archived