HOW and WHEN did you first hear about ASOIAF? What got you into it?

rayarts

Hey,

I am actually really curious about your beginnings, guys!

For me, it was when my ex-boyfriend started reading it after a colleague of his

recommended it to him - this was 2011, because my ex only read fantasy novels.

He told me mainly about Arya and Sansa, which he described being on

the one hand a rebellious boy-like fighter-girl who doesn't bow to custom,

on the other hand (Sansa) a totally stupid naive princess like girl, whose

chapters are just SO annoying.

That it wasn't just like that, and that the

books included a bazillion more characters and plots I found out some years

later..... And thus it begun. :cool4:

When the very first preview for the GoT HBO series came out I was like, 'Huh, looks good,' and I looked it up, heard the books were great, and my whole family started reading. Finished the first book before the first season, then read all the other books ridiculously fast. My whole family got them from the library, and fought over one copy. One would take it to work, and everyone else would be furious. One of us would get to a good part (RW for instance) and have to be totally mute about the books till everyone else caught up. When the next one comes out, I think I'm going for a second book.

When the very first preview for the GoT HBO series came out I was like, 'Huh, looks good,' and I looked it up, heard the books were great, and my whole family started reading. Finished the first book before the first season, then read all the other books ridiculously fast. My whole family got them from the library, and fought over one copy. One would take it to work, and everyone else would be furious. One of us would get to a good part (RW for instance) and have to be totally mute about the books till everyone else caught up. When the next one comes out, I think I'm going for a second book.

Haha, that must habe been a pain in the butt. I'd have bought my own book and camped outside till I read it... :)

HAHA! I just wanted to start a similar thread:

Long story, several parts:

In 2004 I was in backpacking in France for several weeks (60th Anniversary of D-Day) with a friend. During this trip he read the first three books and told me about it. It seemed like a stupid story to me: main character dies in the middle of the book, civil war before a civil war ... did not appeal to me at all. Turned out he gave a rather inaccurate description of ASOIF.

Then another friend of mine got the books for free when he ordered some other books via some mail order. He is a big big big fantasy fan, but he never touched it. (I am from Germany and ASOIF was rather unknown there). One day he saw the trailer for the 2nd season in TV and thought it's sth like Walking Dead set in the Middle Ages. Afer having seen the first two seasons he realized he had those books at home (GoT in German is called "Die Herren von Winterfell" = "the Lords of Winterfell") when he saw the cover. He ordered the rest of them and told me about how great everything was.

This was the reason I started to watch the TV show w/my ex gilrfriend but she did not like it and I was not fascinated either.

In 2013 I wrote my Master Thesis and I needed to do a lot of stupid, brainless data processing during a hot, dry summer in Vienna. I decided to watch sth while doing that but there were no good shows out there so I gave GoT a another try and found it very fascinating.

Last year when Season four came out I was totally surprised by Oberyn's Death I introduced my new girlfriend to the show who usually never watches TV and does not have an addictive personality, but she said GOT is like crack to her^^.

After Season 4 I met a guy during a party who told me about how the books are much better and some theories (R+L=J etc) and I decided to dive into the World of Ice and Fire, I decision I do not regret. I have read the first three books so far, bought AFFC and ADWD on Sunday but could not start reading yet.

A long time ago, when years still started with "19", in a brick-and-mortar bookstore, there was this huge fantasy book by George R. R. Martin. In this field, he was a completely unknown quality for me, but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt - his science fiction short stories I had read ranged from "good" to "holy shit!".

"A Game of Thrones" then lay on my shelf untouched for half a year, for some vague reason. Then some day I picked it up and started reading. And couldn't stop.

I started watching the show after Season 2; I binge watched the first two seasons in about 10 days, then read the books over the next year or so.

I like both versions of the story equally. To be honest I like the version of the story that GRRM had presented in his early letter to his publisher.

My friend told me that this great book series he read had just gotten picked up as a show by HBO. I filed that away and when I saw a preview for this new HBO show Game of Thrones in early 2010 I thought it looked cool and was a fantasy fan, but had not read ASOIAF so I bought the books and waited to watch episode 1 of the show until I had finished A Storm of Swords.

HAHA! I just wanted to start a similar thread:

Long story, several parts:

In 2004 I was in backpacking in France for several weeks (60th Anniversary of D-Day) with a friend. During this trip he read the first three books and told me about it. It seemed like a stupid story to me: main character dies in the middle of the book, civil war before a civil war ... did not appeal to me at all. Turned out he gave a rather inaccurate description of ASOIF.

So, he began describing the story to you with Ned's execution? With friends like this... ;)

I believe my getting to know ASOIAF is one of the messiest ways there is...

1) Ex-boyfriend tells me about the books (describes it awfully, look at OP)

2) Severel friends with reliable tastes tell me about GoT-show (I didn't make the connection to the books by then)

3) Ex-boyfriend starts watching Show, I do, too, but stop after seeing the Drogo-Dany-rape-night (I found it hard to

digest rape scenes back then. Now, however, I am a hardened woman :P )

4) I see more and more Meme-posts about GoT

5) I tell my ex to tell me the plot of the books whilst he is reading them in German (the German edition is two books for

every original one), which took forever. So in the course of about 3 years I learn here and there some major spoilers.

6) Finally, I watch the show and start reading the books 3 years after 1)

7) At the same time I spoil myself thorougly on this forum considering all the theories even before finishing show or books - hehe...

8) Finish reading books by the end of last year

9) Got my dad addicted now....

There was a lot of talk about it online after S2, and in the summer at some point when I was bored I decided to watch the first episode thinking it was going to be awful. In the end it took me three days to watch all 20 episodes. A week or two later after deciding not to read the plot summary online I got the books and took around two months to read them.

2 years ago I was without school or work for a while, so out of boredom I started watching GoT to see what all the fuss was about.

When season 3 ended I couldn't wait until season 4 so I bought the first 2 books. Eventually I bought all of them because I liked them so much.

I first heard of it on the site TVTropes.

I missed the "when" part of the title, so, 2010. It wasn't one mention that made me read the books, but a gradual accumulation. Then shortly after I graduated high school I picked up AGOT from the library, and was quickly hooked.

It was spring last year when I first read the novels. I hadn't read them nor watched the show, but a friend of mine has been a huge fan of them and has literally been pestering me to read them for years. But I'm real quirky when it comes to buying books from authors I haven't read. I'm hesitant to try a new author, but if I like them I'll buy everything they publish even when their works start going down hill. Anyways, my friend pretty much shoved a well weathered paperback of AGoT into my hands(he won't modernize and come into the digital era :P) and told me to read the first five chapters and if I'm not hooked, he'll buy me dinner. I figured I was at least going to get a good meal out of this, so I did. Several hours later in the wee of the night I finish the novel, instantly download all the rest of the books and I haven't look backed since! I finished all the novels a bit after season 4 ended, so I got to watch all four seasons after I finished my first read through as well. I some ways, I think I did myself a huge favor by waiting as long as I did. I saved myself years of agony and my friend's been agonizing over these novels since 2001 or so. :P

I saw the trailer to GoT season 3 and thought it sounded good.

Being the brilliant teenager I am, I knew that watching the show before reading the books would be a huge mistake, so I binge read all of ASOIAF in about a month.

I liked the show at first, but season 4 turned me off, and season 5 has been awful.

I was strolling through the SciFi/Fantasy section at Barnes & Noble back in 2005. One of the employees asked if I needed any assistance. I told him I was looking to lose myself in a fantasy series. He picked up GoT, handed it to me, said 'you're welcome', and walked away to help another customer.

Archived