Bakker XXXVII: One Big Happy Fanimry

.H.

I am perpetually behind. Was Geraus confirmed to be the Traveller? Or was that speculation? Because it makes a lot of sense.

Just speculation that I'd not seen before the last page.  Intriguing idea.  I feel like Kayutas was a possibility but this might make more sense.

Uh, one of the casters there (maybe Wilshire?) claims that Bakker said that Meppa was his favorite character to write.  Where was this ever said?

I believe Bakker said Malowebi was his favorite to write about in TUC. I thought it was Meppa also, someone linked me to the interview where he was asked. It was Malowebi not Meppa.

Totally my fault, that we me being blatantly wrong, sorry.

The most interesting things about listening to these podcasts is hearing how others pronounce some of these names.

Like, I've heard Dunyain, Inchoroi, Iyokus, Bakker, Cishaurim, and several other things pronounced differently then I do it in my head.

Also Cnaüir, Kellhus and quite a few others. Noticed the same thing Trisky!

I think I prefaced all of my pronunciations with the fact that I know they are literally wrong. This is because I devised easy ways to remember them in my head in the way-back-days, which had little to do with how to anyone would actually pronounce them.

I literally cannot pronounce Cnaüir in any way that is probably correct, so it will be my best efforts to never be recording attempt to. :blush:

OK, so it was Malowebi not Meppa.  Now that I've heard that, I think it's come up in the past. 

I feel that there is nothing confusing about how Cnaiur is pronounced.  It's "Nay-ur."  Or maybe "Nay-oor," but that's the only confusion.  Two syllables.  Starts with an N sound.  C is silent. 

haha y'all are uppity about monopolization of name phonetics. one e.g. grows accustomed to multiple valid pronunciations when one brings a non-english name to an english-speaking region filled with monolinguals, and accepts very quickly, unless one is just a dick, a horeshoes & hand grenades approach to 'correctness.' if the family resemblance, say, is strong enough for one to suggest a 'correction' unambiguously, then the pronunciation should be considered significant. 'correcting' within that zone of competence should be considered coercive overviligilant hypercorrection, a species of cognitionism. so, barf on y'all coercive overvigilant cognitionist hypercorrecters (COCH for short, how's that pronounced, one wonders?)

OK, so it was Malowebi not Meppa.  Now that I've heard that, I think it's come up in the past. 

I feel that there is nothing confusing about how Cnaiur is pronounced.  It's "Nay-ur."  Or maybe "Nay-oor," but that's the only confusion.  Two syllables.  Starts with an N sound.  C is silent. 

The problem is that my errant brain always wants to insert an I in there when I know, full well, that there should not be.  So, then I get hung up trying to both say and not say the I sound, which makes me forget how to actually just pronounce it correctly.  It's a bad feedback loop...

The silent C is almost as bad as the P in Psmith but not as funny (and in a barmy world where "Fotheringay-Phipps" is pronounced "Foongie-Fips" or so, a silent P is a venial sin).

Even if the first sound was supposed to be like the n~ in Spanish (not sure if this is "stable" or would become a normal N-sound soon), so roughly "Nyai-oor"  why spell it with a "C"? For me, it's just another bit of Bakker's insufferable mannerisms...

The silent C is almost as bad as the P in Psmith but not as funny (and in a barmy world where "Fotheringay-Phipps" is pronounced "Foongie-Fips" or so, a silent P is a venial sin).
Even if the first sound was supposed to be like the n~ in Spanish (not sure if this is "stable" or would become a normal N-sound soon), so roughly "Nyai-oor"  why spell it with a "C"? For me, it's just another bit of Bakker's insufferable mannerisms...

Because if there's no silent c how would the reader understand how smart and clever Bakker is in making a tribute to conan? Without the variant spelling one might miss it!

Two that drive me crazy (and this has come up before) because unlike Nayu it's not that clear are Celmomas and Cishaurim. 

Is it Selmo or Kelmo? 

And like our podcasters, I'd always thought it was Sishaurim until my monkey brain made the connection with the Tribe of Indara-Kishauri which made me think it's Kishaurim. 

C also might reasonably signify /ch/ or /ts/, so stew your kettle on that, too. but then again it might be something completely different, as this is a speculative fiction.

in order to defeat the obligatory ZOMG RELISM!! objection, we might consider the career of ghoti.

Two that drive me crazy (and this has come up before) because unlike Nayu it's not that clear are Celmomas and Cishaurim. 

Is it Selmo or Kelmo? 

And like our podcasters, I'd always thought it was Sishaurim until my monkey brain made the connection with the Tribe of Indara-Kishauri which made me think it's Kishaurim. 

I always felt like it was Selmo, but that is entirely unfounded.

The Indara-Kishauri observation is incredibly good, however, I believe it proves the opposite.  In other words, Cishaurim is clearly derived from Kishauri, so by spelling it with a C instead of the K should signify some difference.  My guess is it is a corruption somewhere in the line of the Shemic languages.  Most probably in the line of Caro-Shemic to Kianni, although possibly as far back as Proto-Caro-Shemic.

Then again, I am no linguistic expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I've always pronounced Inchoroi as having a "ch" like church, but then it occurred to me that in my mind I say Chorae as if it's koray rather than chore-ay.  Why I should be inconsistent on that I cannot say.

ETA:  That's a good point; maybe it is Sishaurim after all.

SilentRoamer is the master of this, but he correctly identified the -roi suffix should remain consistent across Inchoroi, Halaroi and Cûnuroi. Here we are left to assume that these words are in Ihrimsû.

The problem is if the name Chorae is Gilcûnya, or is the name Chorae the Ihrimsû name for them?

My hunch is that the two should actually be different.

Is it Selmo or Kelmo? 

Kelmo

Key-shar-rim

In-kor-roi

Kor-ray

Kell-us

Zer-rye-us

Zi-nee-mus

Ah-kah-me-in

Nay-ur

Archived