Wheel of Time (HBO) - TV Series (Fan Adaptation)

SwannMadeleine

I've come to a decision as a side project while I get ready to start university in September, to create my own adaptation of The Wheel of Time series as if the showrunners of Game of Thrones, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff decided to make it into a TV series for HBO. Of course, this would mean that GOT probably wouldn't have happen in this but obviously this is just a bit of fun for me and hopefully for you guys, who I hope will read the scripts etc.

I'm currently working on the first episode, which is entitled "Winternight", and I've pretty much cast the entire first season, with a couple of characters as well as some characters that'll turn up in future seasons.

The first season is based on 'The Eye of the World'. Here is the list for the cast of Season 1, if you're interested:

(SIDE NOTE: I understand that a lot of these actors are from GOT, but I can really imagine them as the characters. Please let me know if I've forgotten anyone)

CAST LIST: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls074590729/

I've also created a poster for the season as well as an entire wikia page dedicated to the adaptation with as much information as needed. Information regarding "Winternight", the first episode, is already up.

WIKIA: http://wheel-of-time.wikia.com/wiki/Wheel_of_Time_Wikia

POSTER: http://pre12.deviantart.net/d835/th/pre/i/2015/146/a/2/wheel_of_time_season_one__ver_2__by_swannmadeleine-d8ut720.jpg

Thank you for reading my post. Please feel free to respond below and I hope most of you are as excited as I am.

I'm just going to say that as soon as Nynaveve starts pulling her braid angrily, I am turning the channel.

Also, how would the show runners devote whole episodes to analyzing a green silk dress with a lace bodice that exposed entirely too much bosom?

Also, how would the show runners devote whole episodes to analyzing a green silk dress with a lace bodice that exposed entirely too much bosom?

You think the HBO showrunners would have a problem with an excessive focus on exposed bosom? 8)

I'm just going to say that as soon as Nynaveve starts pulling her braid angrily, I am turning the channel.

...and don't forget the skirt-smoothing, the constant skirt-smoothing.

I think the only analysis the GoT show runners would be doing of "a green silk dress with a lace bodice that exposed entirely too much bosom" is exactly how fast it could come off :P

OK, OP please take this as constructive criticism.

1) No way would I want D&D to make WoT in a TV series. Sure WoT could do with a lot of cutting and some changes, but going by the way they've adapted GOT, D&D would change too much, including character motivations and personalities

2) Your cast: some of your casting choices are great, others not so much. I can only judge on looks, because I'm sure most of these actors can own the roles. But when it comes to looks, you've made some odd choices.

Some are too old for their roles, like Ian McElhinney for Tallanvor. Wasn't Tallanvor much younger than Morgase? Some are too young (or too young looking), like Oona Chaplin for Nynaeve.

There also choices regarding skin color. WoT is much more diverse than ASoIaF when it comes to important characters, so there are plenty of roles for non-white people to fill, therefore there is no need to mix things up. For example, you've chosen white actors for the Aiel, who are indeed described as having green-blue-grey eyes with blonde-red hair, but you made Gaul black. Why?

All the characters that hail from Tarabon to Tear can be played by actors of darker skin, and the Sea Folk are definitely black. And all the characters from the Borderlands have Asian looks, and that includes Lan.

Also Rahvin is black.

Well while you should enjoy and entertain yourself, I guess you missed the fact they just "made" and "aired" a TV show about TWoT series.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/124617-so-theres-a-wheel-of-time-tv-pilot-starring-billy-zane-that-you-can-watch-right-now/

So it will likely be 10 years before we get a real show.

Well while you should enjoy and entertain yourself, I guess you missed the fact they just "made" and "aired" a TV show about TWoT series.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/124617-so-theres-a-wheel-of-time-tv-pilot-starring-billy-zane-that-you-can-watch-right-now/

So it will likely be 10 years before we get a real show.

I'm very aware there was already a TV show that existed.

OK, OP please take this as constructive criticism.

1) No way would I want D&D to make WoT in a TV series. Sure WoT could do with a lot of cutting and some changes, but going by the way they've adapted GOT, D&D would change too much, including character motivations and personalities

2) Your cast: some of your casting choices are great, others not so much. I can only judge on looks, because I'm sure most of these actors can own the roles. But when it comes to looks, you've made some odd choices.

Some are too old for their roles, like Ian McElhinney for Tallanvor. Wasn't Tallanvor much younger than Morgase? Some are too young (or too young looking), like Oona Chaplin for Nynaeve.

There also choices regarding skin color. WoT is much more diverse than ASoIaF when it comes to important characters, so there are plenty of roles for non-white people to fill, therefore there is no need to mix things up. For example, you've chosen white actors for the Aiel, who are indeed described as having green-blue-grey eyes with blonde-red hair, but you made Gaul black. Why?

All the characters that hail from Tarabon to Tear can be played by actors of darker skin, and the Sea Folk are definitely black. And all the characters from the Borderlands have Asian looks, and that includes Lan.

Also Rahvin is black.

I take on board your comments (it's still a work in progress so things will change). I'm interested to know what casting choices in particular you like?

I remember watching that Billy Zane abomination that was Red Eagle's pathetic attempt to hold onto the movie/TV rights of WoT.

It was rightfully criticized for the low production and laughable acting, but to be fair, the writing and plot were really awful too, and with the exception of a few deviations, it was straight from the book. It made me realize how awful much of the book dialog was. There's something about the words being spoken aloud that makes you realize, hey, this is actually really bad. Robert Jordan had a prequel George Lucas quality grasp of characterization and how people actually talk.

There's just no way anything good could come out of a faithful adaptation of The Wheel of Time. If given a good budget and proficient actors, it would just be the Billy Zane version with a good budget and proficient actors, so still really bad. And with most of the time dedicated to really stupid ideas of how males and females perceive each other.

I take on board your comments (it's still a work in progress so things will change). I'm interested to know what casting choices in particular you like?

Casting choices I particularly like:

Rose Leslie as Aviendha

Tamsin Egerton as Elayne

Brad Dourif as Padan Fain

Carice van Houten as Elaida

Indira Varma as Leane

Travis Fimmel as Moridin

Jason Flemyng as Slayer (at least the Lord Luc persona)

Ian Hanmore as Aginor

Tom Wu as Ingtar (or any Shienaran, except Agelbar Jagad)

Eva Green as Lanfear (I don't think Eva is the most beautiful woman in the world, she always has a sickly appearance, but I she would own this role)

Kristofer Hivju - he would probably make a good Rhuarc, but he is only in his late 30s so he could pass for Gaul, too

Casting choices I particularly like:

Rose Leslie as Aviendha

Tamsin Egerton as Elayne

Brad Dourif as Padan Fain

Carice van Houten as Elaida

Indira Varma as Leane

Travis Fimmel as Moridin

Jason Flemyng as Slayer (at least the Lord Luc persona)

Ian Hanmore as Aginor

Tom Wu as Ingtar (or any Shienaran, except Agelbar Jagad)

Eva Green as Lanfear (I don't think Eva is the most beautiful woman in the world, she always has a sickly appearance, but I she would own this role)

Kristofer Hivju - he would probably make a good Rhuarc, but he is only in his late 30s so he could pass for Gaul, too

I actually originally cast Kristofer Hivju as Gaul but changed it later on.

Your casting is terribly polarizing, some really great choices and some really questionable ones. You really need to expand your horizons beyond GoT and Vikings. But overall, good job :thumbsup:

Some of my opinions on your choices include

Examples of great casting

Rand

Birgitte

Slayer

Asmodean

Examples of bad casting

Perrin

Thom

Galad

Your casting is terribly polarizing, some really great choices and some really questionable ones. You really need to expand your horizons beyond GoT and Vikings. But overall, good job :thumbsup:

Some of my opinions on your choices include

Examples of great casting

Rand

Birgitte

Slayer

Asmodean

Examples of bad casting

Perrin

Thom

Galad

Thanks and no problem, I understand not everyones gonna agree with me. I'm open to suggestions, but realistic ones so no actors that are too famous, for example, no-one like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie or someone from Twilight or something. Think about people who would actually do a HBO TV series like this. (Yes, I know I've got Oscar Isaac but that's only because I can't imagine anyone else as Taim).

Thanks and no problem, I understand not everyones gonna agree with me. I'm open to suggestions, but realistic ones so no actors that are too famous, for example, no-one like Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie or someone from Twilight or something. Think about people who would actually do a HBO TV series like this. (Yes, I know I've got Oscar Isaac but that's only because I can't imagine anyone else as Taim).

Marton Csokas comes to mind when thinking of Taim.

Archived