AGOT Reread- Sansa

Barba

Yeah, I don't think Sansa really becomes sympathetic until the end of AGOT when she's contemplating pushing Joffrey off the battlements. For me that's when I started rooting for her, although there are moments, like her interactions with the Hound where she comes off as likeable. I think you'll begin to sympathize with her more if you continue rereading ACOK.

• 1 year later...

It's not surprising she turned out the way she did at that point. Think of how prideful and proper Catelyn sees herself to be. Sansa, he first born daughter, favored the Tully line. She doted on Sansa for sure. It didn't help any that Arya was such a true Stark, willful and wild, which I am sure that contrast pushed Sansa to be more of the 'lady', if nothing else then to show her floundering sister how it was done.

We see from her PoV that she's not a complete idiot, nor is she a monster. She has a good heart. However, she's been raised to think she was going to live a song. Marry a crown-prince, live in a castle, become a queen, eat grapes all day, wtch chiverlous tournys all night, etc. It's no wonder that she fights to keep that dream alive. It's what was instilled in her repeatedly by Catelyn and Septa Mordane. So much so that even after everything that happened she still tried to fight for that dream when she avoided Dontos after The Queen of Thorns told her she'd be marrying Willas.

At the beginning of Thrones, Sansa is very much Catelyn's first born daughter.

Like so many pampered ans spoiled young ladies, she needed a rude awakening, a slap in the face, to snap her out of the reverie. She got it alright. It didn't take right away, but she got it.

Up to a point yes, but

Think of how prideful and proper Catelyn sees herself to be.

Of all the noblewomen we see Catelyn is perhaps the least "proper". She cares nothing for comfort, ceremony, or her own status.

At the beginning of Thrones, Sansa is very much Catelyn's first born daughter.

Catelyn and Sansa are almost entirely opposite in their outlook. Catelyn most certainly does not think that life is a song. Which make me very doubtful that she is responsible for this attitude in Sansa.

Catelyn and Sansa are almost entirely opposite in their outlook. Catelyn most certainly does not think that life is a song. Which make me very doubtful that she is responsible for this attitude in Sansa.

I agree. Sansa listened to the love songs and fell in love with chivalrous love. I doubt there was much of that anywhere at anytime - especially in her class with arranged marriages. And Catelyn probably thought she had some time to interact with Sansa - Catelyn did some boneheaded things. But she didn't tun and tell the Queen Ned was going to take them away. That was the action of a love sick girl.

It took me several readings of AGoT to understand her. And I do feel sorry for her in the final chapter. She's all alone in the bed she made. Her prince is a prick. Can I write that?

• 4 weeks later...

I do think Catelyn is a proper noble lady in the sense that she knows how to behave, and she knows her place. She married a great lord and enjoyed a comfotable (less so, in the North, than in the South, but not unpleasant) so Sansa would be following her mother in all those respects.

I think early AGOT Sansa is akin to young Cat, before Robert's war. Admiring her noble, strong husband-to-be and anticpating the fineries and customs of her future life.

Cat is fiesty enough, and her nature gradually developed because of her life, where it didn't in Lysa. Perhaps it's true to say that Sansa is going from being like Lysa (believing everything would be wonderful, being immature about certain things, etc) to being like her mother (realistic and accepting her lot when necessary)

I think early AGOT Sansa is akin to young Cat, before Robert's war. Admiring her noble, strong husband-to-be and anticipating the fineries and customs of her future life.

Maybe, but in ACoK Catelyn reflects sadly that she has always been one to do her duty, and that when her father betrothed her to Brandon Stark, she dutifully thanked him for providing her with such a good match. The impression being that she was not that enthusiastic about it.

Also she has never appeared to have been much interested in “finery†at any stage in her life.

• 1 year later...

I'm rereading AGoT, and if I read Sansa saying or thinking the words 'ever so' one more time I'm going to rip my hair out. I thought my opinion may have been harsh on her in my first read through of the series, but no I wasn't, she's an airhead.

• 1 year later...

More of that "Typical Sansa behavior".

She should know her father is not a traitor, yet she still wants to marry Joffrey and wants to please Cercei.

Cercei: Your father is a traitor, but Joffrey and I still love you.

Sansa: Joffrey loves me? Yay! :rolleyes:

It was more like:

"Your father is a traitor".

"Not possible, there must be a mistake".

"No? You might be a traitor too. You know, black cells, risk of death".

"I'm good, the bad one's Arya, don't hurt me".

And afterwards "it was the milk of the poppy if he did anything treasonous. But I will save his life, marry Joff and in the future I'll become the queen and get a pardon for my father, like the queens in the songs. And I'll also have a stable full of little poneys and two everlasting rainbows".

She never believed her father was a traitor, she was intimidated into saying so in front of Cersei and four other adults. If she had believed her father to be a traitor, she wouldn't have needed to rationalize it blaming it on the milk of the poppy. She thought "there must be another explanation", but threatened with being accused herself of treason, she did the only thing she knows how to do. Be obedient, dutiful and charming, and hope against hope that real life will work as a fairytale. Stupid for sure, but an amazing piece of writing by Martin. Someone with a completely disfunctional view of the world who will have it thrashed and will have to rebuild it again. You can hate the character, but the writing is genius work.

Archived