Season 6 Foreshadowing...

LatrineDiggerBrian

If you've watched the show over and over like I have, you start to notice that David and Dan like to do a lot of foreshadowing. Sometimes it's in the form of dialogue ("size doesn't matter when you're flat on your back" and "People die at their dinner tables. They die in their beds. They die squatting over their chamber pots.") or in the form of future plot set-up (Stannis mention of Randyll Tarley as well as all the talk of greyscale early on in the season). My question for you guys is, what have you noticed that could lead to clues about season 6? I can think of a lot of things (apologies if some of these have been talked about already as I'm new to the board):

Samwell's line "Jon always comes back in the end".

This is the one obviously everyone is talking about and possibly could hint to a Jon return in the last season?

The red priest in Volantis sort of looking in wonderment at Tyrion

What was that?

Ramsey's casual mention of Jon Snow to Sansa, "Bastards can rise high in the world. Like your half brother Jon Snow. Born the bastard of Winterfell, now the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch"

This stuck out to me because it was kind of out of the blue. I wonder if it was purposely written to remind that audience that Sansa's half brother is at the wall so if Theon and Sansa decide to head that way at the beginning of season 6 it makes a little more sense.

On the ship ride to Dorne, the ships captain points out to Jaime that they've just passed the island of Tarth

This was interesting. Will a potential Jaime and Brienne reunion occur? Or possible that Brienne and Pod find Sansa and bring her back to Tarth? Or some other character winds up at Tarth?

Jaime to Bronn while on the ship ride to Dorne: "He murdered my father. If I ever see him, I'll split him in two. And then I'll give him your regards."

Setting up a possible not so pleasant future confrontation between Jaime and Tyrion?

Jaime and Bronn conversation about how they want to die: "What about you? What shit way would you choose?" "In my own keep, drinking my own wine, watching my son gravel from a fortune."

This could just be some throw away dialogue, but for some reason it really stuck out to me. Is a horrible death in the works for Bronn?

Jaime being a constant asshole to Bronn in Dorne and on the way to Dorne

This could just be the characterization of their relationship, but at certain points David and Dan seem to almost go out of their way to show this. A short scene of Bronn rowing the row boat at night and Jaime looking at him like "sorry can't help you". Then Jaime telling Bronn to bury the bodies of the dead Dornish border patrol (which seemed like a totally unnecessary add on to the scene). There are other examples of this throughout the Dorne plot line as well. I'm wondering, is pointing to the fact that Bronn could eventually turn on Jaime?

Cersei's line at the end of season 4 in reference to Tommen: "You'll fight over him and tear him to pieces"

Probably just a throw away line, but for some reason this stuck out to me. As I pointed out above Dave and Dan like to purposely foreshadow some stuff hidden in dialogue. Could this be referring to Zombie Mountain going nuts and destroying Tommen?

Dany's line to Hizdahr zo Loraq in the Pit of Daznak: "One day your great city will return to the dirt as well." "At your command?" "If need be?"

Does Mereen get obliterated by Dany? Or if not by her, someone or something else?

Sansa in the Crypts of Winterfell picking up the feather left by Robert on Lyanna's statue

In the "Previously on Game of Thrones" before the episode they flashed back to the pilot when Robert puts a feather on the statue of Lyanna. I believe Sansa picks the feather up in the episode. Could just be nothing, maybe it's something Bran touches later on to get flash backs to Robert's Rebellion.

That's all I got for now. I think there really are plenty of clues of what's to come if we look closely. As mentioned, Stannis' reference to Randyll Tarley was a prime example of this. What else is there?

• 2 weeks later...

-jon will return in some way, undead, wolf or something, not necessarily next season (even the mountain returns)

-jaimie looking at tarth, I thought it was a reminder of Jaimie/Brienne chemistry, but it has been the only one, if you don't count I'd like to die with the woman i love, which I don't think so) but Jaimie/ Cersei is still on the air.....

In the books

Jaime and brienne met at the end of AFFC and Jamie+Cersei relationship is over, while Jaime and Brienne have thought a lot of eachother separately during their chapters.

Wow I forgot about this, I didn't even realize it got posted. I added the thing about the feather in the crypts of Winterfell.

-jon will return in some way, undead, wolf or something, not necessarily next season (even the mountain returns)

-jaimie looking at tarth, I thought it was a reminder of Jaimie/Brienne chemistry, but it has been the only one, if you don't count I'd like to die with the woman i love, which I don't think so) but Jaimie/ Cersei is still on the air.....

Yeah agree about Jaime and Brienne, just a little reminder that he's still thinking about her and they'll probably meet again.

In S03E06, Melisandre says to Arya on there first and only encounter:
"I see a darkness in you; and in that darkness, eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again" 
Until the last episode of the show, this didn't mean much. But now Melisandre seems almost certain to meet Arya again.

This one I don't know if foreshadowed events in season 6 or later, but  upon meeting the Three Eyed Raven, Bran Stark is told "... you will never walk again, but you will fly". I know there are a lot of theories floating around about who, if anyone, will be the other two dragon riders; this may be foreshadowing that answer.

In S03E06, Melisandre says to Arya on there first and only encounter:
"I see a darkness in you; and in that darkness, eyes staring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again" 
Until the last episode of the show, this didn't mean much. But now Melisandre seems almost certain to meet Arya again.

This one I don't know if foreshadowed events in season 6 or later, but  upon meeting the Three Eyed Raven, Bran Stark is told "... you will never walk again, but you will fly". I know there are a lot of theories floating around about who, if anyone, will be the other two dragon riders; this may be foreshadowing that answer.

Yeah wow I totally forgot about the Melisandre and Arya encounter, that is probably one of the best examples of future foreshadowing in the whole series, pretty much spelling out that Melisandre and Arya will meet again. I had an argument with a friend over what she meant about "eyes you'll shut forever", did she mean people that Arya will kill or her own eyes shutting forever. Or was she referring to the blindness?

Same with the Bran line, never thought of it as him being a dragon rider, but that's interesting too. 

Yeah wow I totally forgot about the Melisandre and Arya encounter, that is probably one of the best examples of future foreshadowing in the whole series, pretty much spelling out that Melisandre and Arya will meet again. I had an argument with a friend over what she meant about "eyes you'll shut forever", did she mean people that Arya will kill or her own eyes shutting forever. Or was she referring to the blindness?

Same with the Bran line, never thought of it as him being a dragon rider, but that's interesting too.

Bran doesn't necessarily need to be a dragon rider was he can worg into the dragon, thus making it easier for anyone else to ride the dragon. This is a concept that I think is more realistic that having the other riders just be able to tame Daennys other two completely untamed dragons... Just a thought anyway.

What about Rickon saying he saw Ned's ghost in the crypts? I've wondered where that leads. I only watch the show, so, if it is in the books and there is info... :)

In the books both Bran and Rickon dream that Ned is in the crypts before Ned's death is known in Winterfell. Luwin tries to tell them there is nothing to worry about, but then the news of Ned's death arrives. So in the books it is an indication that both Bran and Rickon have special clairvoyant gifts. I don't know if there is any deeper meaning in the show.

Shireen getting burned was made obvious all the way from season 4 and all the way this season,

When Mel is taking a bath and talking with Selyse as to if Shireen should go with them to the wall. They glaze into the fire and Mel says "She needs to come, the lord needs her".

Then when at the wall Selyse talking to Stannis and stated how its her fault she never gave a son and gave her nothing but weakness. Mel came over and heard that she is very special and she has her fathers blood, and the look they both give eachother.

And those are just two, there is like a total of 5 or 6

Just from Season 5?

In the last season of course Maggy the Frog prophecy to Cersei (gold will be their crowns and gold their shrouds) foreshadows death of Myrcella and Tommen.

Sam's "Jon always comes back" and Mel's return to Castle Black after all her interesting comments about Jon and I even think the meaningful staring contest Night King had with Jon as he resurrected his undead army as well as Maester Aemon's repeat of "Kill the boy and let the man be born" all point to Jon's rebirth.

There were actually more discussions about Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark than there have been since season 1, including some crypt time 1: Barristan Selmy and Dany, Little Finger and Sansa etc. Which leads me to hope my favorite theory is going to be addressed next season.

I also think the old lady who said "The North Remembers", even though she died quickly of Bolton flaying without really accomplishing anything, was a foreshadowing of the Northern houses rising up to aid the Starks or defeat the Boltons in 6.

Jaime's look at Tarth--hoping it means Brienne reunion.

Just from Season 5?

In the last season of course Maggy the Frog prophecy to Cersei (gold will be their crowns and gold their shrouds) foreshadows death of Myrcella and Tommen.

Sam's "Jon always comes back" and Mel's return to Castle Black after all her interesting comments about Jon and I even think the meaningful staring contest Night King had with Jon as he resurrected his undead army as well as Maester Aemon's repeat of "Kill the boy and let the man be born" all point to Jon's rebirth.

There were actually more discussions about Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark than there have been since season 1, including some crypt time 1: Barristan Selmy and Dany, Little Finger and Sansa etc. Which leads me to hope my favorite theory is going to be addressed next season.

I also think the old lady who said "The North Remembers", even though she died quickly of Bolton flaying without really accomplishing anything, was a foreshadowing of the Northern houses rising up to aid the Starks or defeat the Boltons in 6.

Jaime's look at Tarth--hoping it means Brienne reunion.

I think your speculation is very accurate.

When Melisandre asks Jon if he's a virgin, and he says he isn't, and she responds, "Good."  Why is that good?  Why would his sexual experience have any value to her?  If she only wanted to seduce him, you'd think being a virgin would probably make him more susceptible to her... uh, charms.  I'm wondering if she somehow knows he has king's blood, and is thinking of burnable bastards he might've fathered with that same king's blood.  Of course, we know he hasn't fathered any bastards, but this could be foreshadowing to Melisandre's knowing Jon is Very Important and that she must resurrect him.

Archived