Dating 28 - People aren't fish, just fishy

Why is that the first thing most people note?

The Wrestle Mania thing is actually the first thing people note. In my case, your good manners were second, your youth third. That last only out of envy and concern for your safety. You did well here, though. Come back.

I invited the date to come out to my hometown if she was in the area, I'll be there for 6 weeks. She was all "OH, meet the parents". I was thinking, "Show you around Portland"

I am afraid I just poured gasoline on this. Seriously, are there any other lesbians around here??? Is she blowing snow up my ass? This is TOO MUCH.

I honestly have no problem with her coming out to visit et al. I just want enough time to decide if we're actually compatible or if it's just hormones. I think that shit takes a long time. It does for me, anyway.

:grumbles:

Alternatively, meeting the parents needs not be a big deal. I know plenty of people show their dates to their family without making it out to be "this is the mate I have chosen, please approve." But I suppose that is going to depend a lot on your family.

Alternatively, meeting the parents needs not be a big deal. I know plenty of people show their dates to their family without making it out to be "this is the mate I have chosen, please approve." But I suppose that is going to depend a lot on your family.

Yea, I agree with this. I'm this way. If my parents are in town and we're dating, you're going to meet them pretty much regardless of how long we've been dating. It need not be a huge thing. My parents are easy and so am I.

Why is that the first thing most people note?

Echoing Lily...whatever awesomeness looks like, I know you're it. I had no idea what ethnicity you were, nor did I care. You are always so nice! And funny. That's all that really matters to me.

Anyhoo...I went to dinner with some work colleagues and was scoping out some nice looking gents in the place. When I got home, I saw that I had food all in my teeth.

I'm not quite as cool as I thought.

I'm with TP and Mex on this. It isn't really a big deal. I met a woman's mother and step-father when I picked her up for our first date and we sat around the kitchen table for a few hours when I dropped her off. It eliminated a lot of anxiety later. Meeting her extended family was a different story. But everyone is different I guess.

:lol:

Hahahahaha

God, i I've this thread.

Also, I really don't introduce ANYONE to my parents unless it's very very serious. That's very weird to me. They don't need to have any information on my dating/sex life.

Do you talk to them about people you're dating? If so, they have pretty much the same information, just not a face to the name.

Do you talk to them about people you're dating? If so, they have pretty much the same information, just not a face to the name.

Not until and unless I have to.

Yeah Meet the Parents was kind of a big deal for me. Part of that is because I love my parents, but they can be kinda... kooky. My mom can be almost aggressively supportive, complimentary, and emotional while my step dad helps balance her out it can be a lot if she's in the right mood. My dad also has a very large personality. He's extremely jolly, and gregarious, but can also be very crass and loud. My stepmom does a great job of balancing him out, but she can also be almost too direct. I'm not ashamed of my parents at all, because they are nice loving people. But I know that when they viewed meeting some one that I brought home as a big deal, and that made them even more talkative, emotional, etc. I knew that could be a lot to deal with for someone I was dating. I dated my husband for about 6 months, and we where already saying "I love you", before I had him meet my parents, and we all live in the same city.

The day is going to come when I'm going to meet a woman's biological father and that scares the shit out of me.

The first time I ever visited my ex wife's parents, her father had a high-powered deer rifle laid out on a table in his den (he was cleaning it after a target shooting competition). I thought the symbolism was pretty funny and I doubt it was lost on him. :lol:

In my experience it's always been orders of magnitude more anxiety-inducing to bring women home to meet my parents, than it has been to meet theirs.

I always wind up dating women who either want nothing to do with their fathers or my last gf didn't even know her father. I never have any issues when they meet my parents though. My mother is over eager but that's about it, my father is fine though. I know he approves if he doesn't say anything. I do try to keep any special women in my life away from my younger sister though, she gets kind of territorial.

I always wind up dating women who either want nothing to do with their fathers or my last gf didn't even know her father. I never have any issues when they meet my parents though. My mother is over eager but that's about it, my father is fine though. I know he approves if he doesn't say anything. I do try to keep any special women in my life away from my younger sister though, she gets kind of territorial.

Want to meet my father? He's in prison! FUN!!

I never thought of myself as protective of my brothers but this was this one time, on a rafting trip, I got drunk and this married woman was practically hanging all over my little bro and being giggly. I was pissed off by that somehow, giving her glowering looks. I was about to go over and say something when suddenly her husband came over to me, intercepted, and started chatting me up all super interested in me out of nowhere. Strange situation all around. Long story short, I vomited on a turtle later that night.

Went to lunch with an old boss today. I *think* it was just a friendly lunch, but I honestly couldn't stop thinking what he'd be like *cough*inbed*cough*

It's been too long, obviously. Jeeeez.

Hahahah yes. Went out for coffee with a friend today and just kept daydreaming about sleeping with her... Not even attracted to her!

I'm in the "meeting my family isn't a big deal" camp. My mom is an absolute goofball but harmless. I'm more protective of the "meeting my daughter" angle. But as she got older that became less of a concern, too. But then again I tend to not date very casually anyway, so there hasn't been many that I've dated that no one has met.

On the contrary, my brother has been married four times, and except for his first wife we didn't meet any of the women until they were already engaged - and the second one, the first time we saw her was when she walked down the aisle. I only live about 45 minutes or an hour away from my brother, so it's kinda weird. But he moves really fast with these marriages, so I guess that's a factor too. I just find it a bit interesting that all of these women are so eager to marry someone without meeting immediate family that lives so close.

Archived