BRIENNE'S FINAL WORD

theyoungwolf97

I really enjoyed Brienne's chapters throughout this book, the whole 'I'm looking for a lady of three and ten with auburn hair' annoyance aside. But nothing in particular happened in her POV, she achieved nothing, which seems a pity for such an accomplished swordswoman - so did Lady Stonehard really kill her off that easily? Is she still alive? And what was the word she said? My first thought was 'mercy'...as always no spoilers from ADWD please

• 4 weeks later...

She is definitely not my favorite POV character and i usually grit my teeth tbh when it's her POV but i wouldn't say she accomplishes nothing....

• We find out she is possibly descended from Ser Duncan the Tall.
  • She slays three members from The Bloody Mummers(Shagwell The Fool, Pyg and Timeon.)
  • Introduced us to Meribold, Elder Brother the healer and shows that the Hound is alive.
  • We catch up to what happened with Gendry.
  • Kills Rorge who has been terrorizing the Riverlands.
  • Reintroduces us to the BWB and Lady Stoneheart.

It was almost painful too see how she is treated by everybody.....She isn't my favorite character but i do have a lot of respect for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Like as in she wants a trail by combat? to save Pod? Or??

It was a direct answer to the question that they asked her

Lady Catelyn’s fingers dug deep into her throat, and the words came rattling out, choked and broken, a stream as cold as ice. The northman said, “She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.

She choose "sword", referring to "take the sword and slay the Kingslayer".

It was a direct answer to the question that they asked her

Lady Catelyn’s fingers dug deep into her throat, and the words came rattling out, choked and broken, a stream as cold as ice. The northman said, “She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.

She choose "sword", referring to "take the sword and slay the Kingslayer".

Right gottcha, i must have not read that properly ay. nice one :)

I hope she doesnt kill Jamie though, although id rather that than Pod die.

Right gottcha, i must have not read that properly ay. nice one :)

I hope she doesnt kill Jamie though, although id rather that than Pod die.

GRRM did indeed reveal that saving Pod was Brienne's motivation. 

Spoiler tag for length

[spoiler]

June 03, 2012
MISCON REPORT

so at miscon 2012, george r.r. martin read not one but two chapters from winds of winter!

he also answered a pressing and important question: what word did brienne of tarth scream in feast for crows?

[Note: I've redacted the The Winds of Winter chapter reading report. You can read it at the forum, along with other chapter reading reports.]

anyway after he finished reading the chapters, he opened the floor to some discussion about the plot of asoiaf, and some amazing genius girl said: you know my friends and i were debating this pretty heavily in the lobby just today, brienne screams “one word” as she is being hung by lady stoneheart’s men in a feast for crows - what was the word?

george turned the question on the audience and asked if anyone had figured it out - we shouted all kinds of dumb stuff, “jaime”, “sapphires”, etc. but some other genius in the second row said “sword”!

george confirmed that the word brienne screamed was “sword”; lady stoneheart gave brienne the choice of either swearing her sword to her or being hung, saying “sword or noose”, and as brienne was being hung she screamed “sword”

the questions moved on for some time, but then a girl asked “well what about podrick payne? he was getting hung with brienne!” and george confirmed that brienne had made the decision to swear her sword to stoneheart in order to save the innocent podrick payne from the noose

[/spoiler]

Source

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Although a lot of people dislike Brienne and her chapters, I must say she's one of my favourite persons and I hope she doesn't die, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't (will start the next book today). Maybe because she didn't have it easy her whole life and and even now all odds are against her. Her quest for Sansa seems a bit hopeless though...

I expected Stonehart to actually give her mercy and let her continue to look for Sansa, but I guess there's not much of Catharine Stark left in her anymore. Though who knows what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2015 at 10:19 AM, Yucef Menaerys said:

I really do hope that brienne betrays lady stoneheart and does not kill jaime

You and me both.  Catelyn Stark is just as stupid dead as she was alive, and we lost Beric for her.  She is second on my list of most hated characters behind Cersei.  She was the catalyst for all the horror that befell the Starks.  Taking Littlefinger at his word and abducting Tyrion, letting Jamie free hoping to get her daughters back.  What I think is sadly ironic is she wants Brienne dead because of Jamie Lannister, who she released!!

Out of all the characters to come back from the dead (in some shape or form) GRRM chose her, and I'll never forgive him for it.

• 9 months later...

Archived