The Pink Letter revisited

Nozlym

My own take (crackpot?) is the Pink Letter came from someone at Castle Black, someone who either already knew or discovered the details of Mance's mission and who wanted to goad Jon into acting, for reasons to be revealed. Or Ramsay really did write it, but I just cannot accept he is clever enough..

ok, and how did this said person get the seal?

ok, and how did this said person get the seal?

The letter does not appear to be sealed with a "seal":

"Bastard, was the only word written outside the scroll. No Lord Snow or Jon Snow or Lord Commander. Simply, Bastard. And the letter was sealed with a smear of hard pink wax."

ADWD, chapter 69, bolded emphasis added

Earlier, Asha (chapter 26) and Jon (chapter 28) received letters from Ramsay updating them regarding the various events in the North, and each of these letters is sealed "with a button of hard pink wax." The unaccounted-for seal from Moat Cailin is substantial enough to be picked at by an Ironborn without breaking, and to be visible from a distance as its parchment sits in the mouth of a corpse. It is only ever described as a seal, but a seal is still more than a smear.

GRRM describes a seal's wax in other places in the novels, such as the letter from Lysa to Cat.... (Calls it a blob), and later mentions it bears the Moon-and-falcon seal.

Is it generally agreed that the pink letter was the driving force that led to Jon's Stabbing at the hands of the stewards? I think there was a conspiracy brewing against Jon before the letter is delivered to him. If letter is the catalyst to drive the stewards actions, then they likely wrote it. The only part I can't figure is how they know about Reek. The rest of the info in the letter the stewards are aware of.

Archived