If Cat knew R+L=J?

What if Ned told Cat the truth about Jon's parentage? Would she have been a bit nicer to him?

I think she might, because then she would know that Ned was never unfaithful to her.

I think she'd still be kind of cold and distant to Jon, but not in an unpleasant way. I think she'd more just be worried about what would happen if his secret were revealed.

I think she'd never be fond of or warm to Jon, but simply less cold and resentful.

No. She will not be cold to him in that case. She would have understood the situation and would have kept the secret. Cat is not the horrible person she is made out to be.

Ned Should have told the truth to her for at least Jon's sake. He knew Cat disliked Jon and he still allowed it, I wonder why Ned don't get any blame for it.

She still would've been insufferable. If not even more.

Not sure if sarcastic or not but I agree. I don't think that Cat knowing it would be safe

And when you have it, what then? Some secrets are safer kept hidden. Some secrets are too dangerous to share, even with those you love and trust.

Even Ned thinks that;

Ned thought, If it came to that, the life of some child I did not know, against Robb and Sansa and Arya and Bran and Rickon, what would I do? Even more so, what would Catelyn do, if it were Jon’s life, against the children of her body? He did not know. He prayed he never would.

I bet my right hand that she would had betrayed Ned's trust in a heartbeat if she would think that this would had helped Ned or her daughters.

She still would have hated Jon, just for a different reason. He doesn't pose a threat to her children's inheritance anymore, but he presents a threat to their lives and safety. If Robert found out the truth, he very likely would have commanded Ned to give Jon up to him, which he presumably would not do because of his promise to Lyanna. This could have resulted in an assault on Winterfell, or perhaps another war. Either way, Cat would see Jon as a threat to her children, and she'd do anything to be rid of him. And, in this case, it's likely she would have seen to his disposal in some other manner than having him sent to the Wall, a more permanent disposal.

I think she would still be cold to Jon. She would be happy that Eddard wasn't unfaithful... but she forgave him, who she never forgave was Jon. Cat would also be worried about a Targ being among the Starks and probably couldn't keep her mouth shut. The only difference is she might try a little hit harder to like Jon, but still fail to accept him as hers.

she obviously would have been nicer to him. the reason she treats him like shit is because he is a reminder of ned's infidelity. she would have done some dumb shit at some point and probably gotten Jon Killed though.

yes, she is impulsive and tends to make the wrong decisions...not trustworthy for this reason

Nothing would be different. She would either wan't him gone because she thought him being there was jeopardized her children's safety, and would still see him as a threat to Robb's claim on the North.

I think your right. The more I think of it, the more I think Jon's position would actually have been worse if she knew.

She'd have to deal with the shame of having "Ned's bastard" which would still be the cover story, and she'd also have to repress and deal with the awful truth, that Jon is the last Targaryen and could pose a threat to the family.

Once Ned died, I am sure she would have told the Lannisters all about it. It would have maybe distracted them from Robb and thus relieved pressure on the Stark forces. I think Cat would betray Jon's secret and not feel the least bit bad about it ( though she'd make sure Robb didn't know she revealed the secret. I can't see her revealing it to any of her own children)

I agree with most of the above. There would have been no jealousy, but that would have been the only good thing. Instead, she would have been worried about the mortal threat that the secret could mean to her whole family, and I doubt she could have loved Jon with this knowledge. Besides, as long as everyone else believed Jon to be Ned's son (including Jon himself), with Ned unable to deny it, the "bastard brother" threat would still have been there. That's not about Cat being a "horrible person". She would have had even more reason to be worried about her family. And even if she had not had reason to be jealous of a secret love affair, her pride still would have suffered, as everyone else would have believed that Ned had not only cheated on her but had brought home his bastard to her. How could Ned rule out the chance that Cat might - just might - blurt out the secret in a moment of hurt pride in front of someone like Lysa, for example?

I bet my right hand that she would had betrayed Ned's trust in a heartbeat if she would think that this would had helped Ned or her daughters.

LOL it's so easy to bet such things when noone will ever ask you to pay...

-------------

Anyways, it would certainly be different. She would be worried, but any anger would stay directed at Ned. The situation she was in as it played out in the actual series hurt her in a very personal way on a very different layer than the proposed what-if, anyone with an elementary life experience can understand that, and why it may cause someone to shift the blame, while the other not really.

I think your right. The more I think of it, the more I think Jon's position would actually have been worse if she knew.

She'd have to deal with the shame of having "Ned's bastard" which would still be the cover story, and she'd also have to repress and deal with the awful truth, that Jon is the last Targaryen and could pose a threat to the family.

Once Ned died, I am sure she would have told the Lannisters all about it. It would have maybe distracted them from Robb and thus relieved pressure on the Stark forces. I think Cat would betray Jon's secret and not feel the least bit bad about it ( though she'd make sure Robb didn't know she revealed the secret. I can't see her revealing it to any of her own children)

Possibly. I don't think she would have done it in the first 2 books, for Ned's sake, but Book 3 when she grew desperate I think she would have...

Archived