What will Stannis do if he wasn't killed?

The show has made a living off killing people on shocking ways. People who are safe in traditional stories. One of the biggest story lines is Brienne trying to kill Stannis. They finally get to the scene but don't show it..... :shocked: he is not dead. I'm not sure why Brienne stopped whether her own conscience or someone else (Sansa perhaps) but he is not dead. No way they don't show that. They don't have Stannis kill his daughter to become hated by fans and then die one episode later and not show it. Dude is alive.

To answer the question I believe Stannis will be sacrificed to save Jon or will become become his greatest ally (after Davos). They have come full circle, a Targaryean conquered Westeros with a Baratheon at his side and perhaps another will do it again.

Stannis was already Jon's ally, both in books and the show, In the books Jon was stabbed in large part as a result of his unofficial alliance with stannis. Stannis and Jon will be allied with one another for the foreseeable future if both survive.

I hope targaryens aren't restored, people have had enough of the dragons and their brand of crazy. If Jon does become king (and I doubt it) I hope its in spite of his supposed targaryen heritage.

Let me argue this point. The shocking moments where main characters were killed off were those which caught the audience off guard. Therefore the deaths had to be brutal. Ned who seemed the protagonist was betrayed. His killing was a second betrayal and a shock to the audience unaccustomed to such twists on TV. Oberyn was winning easily when he got cocky and was killed brutally. Robb and Cateyln were again betrayed. Their death had to be brutal and shocking and the brutality added to the shock of those moments

On the other hand since the last two episodes we see Stannis losing everything he held precious. He lost his family, he lost Mel's faith in him and he lost the audience's sympathy. He was "dead" long before Brienne swung that sword. There was nothing shocking about his death, no twist. His death was a mere formality. Thereofre, there was absolutely no reason for a brutal or onscreen death for him.

I doubt it, there have been predictable deaths before on the show, but they show it. What makes stannis' death even less likely is that its not just that it wasn't just not brutal but they didn't show anything that would let the viewers know stannis was killed. They could have avoided gore and yet confirmed stannis' death by showing Brienne's sword get blooded or even just showing her reaction to his death. But cutting away from a death blow has always been for miraculous survival both in film and TV and GOT in spite of the source material is typical TV.

How could Brienne justify not killing Stannis and thus not fulfilling her oath. She even named her sword Oathkeeper so no plausible way for her to spare him.

you are talking about the person who befriended her captive, brienne is love deprived creature, the smallest amount of respect or kindness and she either has a crush on you or swears her fealty to you. If stannis respects her, I can easily see her being moved and decide against killing him.

How could Brienne justify not killing Stannis and thus not fulfilling her oath. She even named her sword Oathkeeper so no plausible way for her to spare him.

Her oath wasn't to kill Stannis or avenge Renyl, her oath to Renly was to protect him and she failed. The reason she named her sword "Oathkeeper" was because the sword belonged to Eddard Stark and she had an oath to Catelyn Stark to protect the Stark girls.

you are talking about the person who befriended her captive, brienne is love deprived creature, the smallest amount of respect or kindness and she either has a crush on you or swears her fealty to you. If stannis respects her, I can easily see her being moved and decide against killing him.

You are absolutely right, I never thought it of that way and I believe neither did a lot of people.

When she met Stannis, he wasn't with Brienne and we see the candle lit right after he moves away from the screen.

Last we saw him was running after Brienne before the candle was lit. We can assume a Bolton soldier killed him on the way to finding Brienne/Stannis just as much as we can assume he decided not to assist Brienne and turn back and keep watch on the tower.

Flee to a Northern stronghold who he figures is not loyal to the boltons or the wall. Stannis will never give up. Death is the only thing that can stop him from doing what he believes is right. Any man who could burn his own daughter alive, not just kill her mind you but burn her alive is one narrow minded, completely obsessed lunatic. Aerys 2.0 is what he became and good ridence. For the record, I like his book character far better.

Flee to a Northern stronghold who he figures is not loyal to the boltons or the wall. Stannis will never give up. Death is the only thing that can stop him from doing what he believes is right. Any man who could burn his own daughter alive, not just kill her mind you but burn her alive is one narrow minded, completely obsessed lunatic. Aerys 2.0 is what he became and good ridence. For the record, I like his book character far better.

He did want them in his army,thus I believe that there is a good chance he would want to bring them to his side. After all he is the only King who would accept them into Westeros.

If it's Selyse or Mel that sacrifice Shireen, the impact will not be meaningful. It has to be done with Stannis' knowledge or with the understanding that Stannis will approve the act. Unless Stannis sanctions it, her sacrifice has no meaning. Her death is meant to be the last straw for Stannis not Melisandre. Mel would be happy and willing to burn all of Westeros as the cost that must be paid. It's just not a big deal if it's her. The only other option that makes sense if it's done without Stannis' knowledge only to force him to face the truth later that he does want to succeed more than he wants his daughter. Anything else would make her death very wasteful. I think that was the whole point of Edric. It sets up Stannis' willingness to sacrifice someone related to him for the "greater good".  

I understand your points. But I would argue that sacrificing the bastard son of your brother whom you have little no relationship with is much different than your daughter. And I think them sacrificing her without his permission could bring himself to the same place as in the show. However I do agree with you on that point and think im wrong on that point. Im not a huge fan of Stannis but just find it hard to think he would be willing to sacrifice her even after commanding his man to put her on the throne should he be killed. The show has changed that story line a lot which is why I dont necessarily think it ends the same way. Im interested to see Davos reaction to what happened, especially if Stannis alive, I think Davos will try and kill Mel and perhaps even Stannis (if he is alive). 

Let me argue this point. The shocking moments where main characters were killed off were those which caught the audience off guard. Therefore the deaths had to be brutal. Ned who seemed the protagonist was betrayed. His killing was a second betrayal and a shock to the audience unaccustomed to such twists on TV. Oberyn was winning easily when he got cocky and was killed brutally. Robb and Cateyln were again betrayed. Their death had to be brutal and shocking and the brutality added to the shock of those moments

On the other hand since the last two episodes we see Stannis losing everything he held precious. He lost his family, he lost Mel's faith in him and he lost the audience's sympathy. He was "dead" long before Brienne swung that sword. There was nothing shocking about his death, no twist. His death was a mere formality. Thereofre, there was absolutely no reason for a brutal or onscreen death for him

I think it would be necessary to see it because of Brienne, because if this will effect her in any way I think the audience seeing it would make it more of an impact later on. But from Stannis point of view, I believe doing all this (death of his daughter, wife, army and being abandoned) had to have happened for a reason, especially for the relationship between him and Davos. I think Davos will simply look at him with pitty and that will be the crux of his fall. Stannis will see that his right meant nothing, he sacrificed everything for nothing.  I just dont see the point of his downfall happening so quickly if you dont get to see it affect him, 10 minutes on screen is not seeing him realize his mistakes. The relationship between Davos and Stannis was one of the best things in the show IMO, I just dont want to see it without some definitive conclusion, might be wishful thinking but I believe there has to be more to it. 

Stannis was already Jon's ally, both in books and the show, In the books Jon was stabbed in large part as a result of his unofficial alliance with stannis. Stannis and Jon will be allied with one another for the foreseeable future if both survive.

I hope targaryens aren't restored, people have had enough of the dragons and their brand of crazy. If Jon does become king (and I doubt it) I hope its in spite of his supposed targaryen heritage.

I agree if Jon gains any kind of ppower it will be as a Stark. But he was also kind of forced into that alliance. He sent for help to a lot of people Stannis just happended to respond. Jon owed him his help (at least in his mind) so I didnt really view it as a strong alliance so to speak. He seems much more hesitant about everything in the book, at least imo.

Oathkeeper was named for her oath to Catelyn because it was part of ICE not because of her oath to Renly. I think her oath to Sansa will interfere. Remember Pod is looking for her, should he appear at the right moment and say, yell a single word (familiar anybody :idea: ) it could stop her. I think she will find a way to use stannis to help Sansa.

I agree if Jon gains any kind of ppower it will be as a Stark. But he was also kind of forced into that alliance. He sent for help to a lot of people Stannis just happended to respond. Jon owed him his help (at least in his mind) so I didnt really view it as a strong alliance so to speak. He seems much more hesitant about everything in the book, at least imo.

Oathkeeper was named for her oath to Catelyn because it was part of ICE not because of her oath to Renly. I think her oath to Sansa will interfere. Remember Pod is looking for her, should he appear at the right moment and say, yell a single word (familiar anybody :idea: ) it could stop her. I think she will find a way to use stannis to help Sansa.

Oh, this is just a technicality. The idea is that Brienne is honourable and keeps her promises, rare in this world, and the vow she made to avenge Renly is the same as that to Cat. Now she did spare Jamie, so it would be possible for Stannis to convince her that he was not all bad before episode 9, but he can't now as he's even worse than Joffrey. And the Stephen Dillane character would not ask for mercy and indeed didn't. He has killed his daughter and consequently his wife and all for nothing. Even if Brienne felt pity and spared him, the man would take his own life.

Oh, this is just a technicality. The idea is that Brienne is honourable and keeps her promises, rare in this world, and the vow she made to avenge Renly is the same as that to Cat. Now she did spare Jamie, so it would be possible for Stannis to convince her that he was not all bad before episode 9, but he can't now as he's even worse than Joffrey. And the Stephen Dillane character would not ask for mercy and indeed didn't. He has killed his daughter and consequently his wife and all for nothing. Even if Brienne felt pity and spared him, the man would take his own life.

Stannis isn't the kind of guy who would take his own life. 

That is the idea, but as GRRM has shown nobody is able to accomplish being Honorable. Name a truly honorable person who is still alive? Davos is the only one I can think of and Brienne. But remember Brienne has a promise to Sansa so I think the two oaths will clash and I think she will be forced to choose which is more important to her. Ned failed and Jon failed (maybe). And why cant she convince her? Nobody knows what Stannis did? 

Archived