Any cruel Starks in the history?

Starkist

The really old Starks/Kings of Winter used to sacrifice people and drape their entrails across weirwood trees... so yeah, I'd say they were pretty cruel...

Theon Stark was pretty harsh with his revenge no the Andals, too: (from wiki page)

In the aftermath of his victory King Theon raised his own fleet and crossed the narrow sea to the shores of Andalos, with Argos's corpse lashed to the prow of his flagship. There he took a bloody vengeance, burning scores of villages, capturing three tower houses and a fortified sept putting thousands to the sword in the process. The heads of the slain the Hungry Wolf claimed as prizes, carrying them back to Westeros and planting them on spikes along his own coasts as a warning to other would be conquerors.

They kind of had to be brutal and cruel during the Age of Heroes and the aftermath.

Theon the Hungry Wolf comes to my mind. He not only killed Argos Sevenstar he raised his own fleet and attacked Andalos,with Argos' body on the prow of his ship, burned many villages took the heads of those who he had killed and put them on spikes at the shores of the North. What a man!

Ned tells us he's afraid of the Starks from the Crypts having roaming spirits because they were hard men. They had to be. Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf, was a bad dude. Cruel to his enemies, at least. Guy sailed to Andalos and burned a suitable portion for his taste, went North of the Wall and killed so many Wildlings that they weren't a threat for an entire generation, pushed the Ironborn out of Bear Island and Cape Kraken, put down a rebellion by his own people (the Ryswells, I think), took the Three Sisters, and even landed an invasion force on the Fingers.

Guy was old school. Heads on spikes, burning villages, lashing corpses to his flagship, etc.

Ned tells us he's afraid of the Starks from the Crypts having roaming spirits because they were hard men. They had to be. Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf, was a bad dude. Cruel to his enemies, at least. Guy sailed to Andalos and burned a suitable portion for his taste, went North of the Wall and killed so many Wildlings that they weren't a threat for an entire generation, pushed the Ironborn out of Bear Island and Cape Kraken, put down a rebellion by his own people (the Ryswells, I think), took the Three Sisters, and even landed an invasion force on the Fingers.

Guy was old school. Heads on spikes, burning villages, lashing corpses to his flagship, etc.

:agree: Basically came in to say this.

The previous Starks were extremely harsh and ruthless; Theon, the hungry wolf, that 'Ice Eyes' dude. And they indulged in cruel acts during The Rape of the Three Sisters.

It is rather interesting how much the fans speak about "true Starks" when in fact we see that Ned Stark, who, for vast majority is the ideal of Starkness, is so different from quite the number of his ancestor.

And as someone once said, you don't get to rule the North for 8000 with bunch of Neds.

In times of peace you can be a good man but if your dealing with a civil war or a foreign army invading you need to show people not to fuck with you.

Theon showed them what would happen if they invaded his home.He would throw them out then invade them and show them the price for their actions.

The cruelty thing is hard to say.I'm sure stopping freefolk incursions for a generation made the people of the north love him while it made the freefolk fear and hate him.

We don't know of any being cruel to their own people without reason.

I don't know about being unable to rule the North for 8,000 years with a bunch of Neds. Torrhen The King Who Kneeled was Ned like from what I can gather he spared his kingdom the savagery that was inflicted on the rest of Westeros by simply granting Aegon overlordship. The historical Starks mentioned seemed harsher than their successors but these tales have been passed down through word of mouth for millennia and have been distorted one way or another. Ned dealt with the Greyjoy rebellion harshly, made Jorah so frightened he pissed himself and fled to Essos and was hard enough to keep the Boltons in line. Not sure what else he could have done to be considered a proper King in the North. If Ned was a failure at anything it was that he was incompetent at playing "the game". Not exactly a harsh ruling against him though because he's a northron and I don't think those he ruled would respect a king or warden who was capable of playing such a game.

Theon the Hungry Wolf comes to my mind. He not only killed Argos Sevenstar he raised his own fleet and attacked Andalos,with Argos' body on the prow of his ship, burned many villages took the heads of those who he had killed and put them on spikes at the shores of the North. What a man!

Yep, he sounds like a scary guy. Although, I think the Iron Born took a fancy to him. Wasn't Theon named after him?

It is rather interesting how much the fans speak about "true Starks" when in fact we see that Ned Stark, who, for vast majority is the ideal of Starkness, is so different from quite the number of his ancestor.

And as someone once said, you don't get to rule the North for 8000 with bunch of Neds.

Ned was raised with Jon 'as high as honour' Arryn. Having a wife who's family words are 'Family, Duty, Honour' also contributed and their children inherited that sense of honour. Mind you, the King who Knelt seems honourable.

However, Brandon Stark seemed more hot headed than honourable. If Robb had took after him more, he wouldn't have married Jeyne after bedding her.

Back to the OP, the Night's King might have been a Stark. :cool4: He committed some atrocities.

Ned Stark is underestimated, he was a harsh man too, or else Theon and Roose Bolton would not have been afraid of him.

Archived