Dogs

Quorra

Talk about dogs.

What breeds do you have, or have you owned?

What are the strange things they have done?

Years ago my family had a dog, a gold lab mixed with some other breed. Golden eyes, pink nose that looked like a pink pencil eraser.

Strange thing she did. She would do this funny thing with bugs, where she would flip her head upside down and rub the top of her head over the bug, then look at the bug, then do it again. She also liked the rain and liked to be wet, and to get other people wet and muddy.

Someone stole her. There were witnesses to the dognapping. Reports said they were two men with a pickup truck, but we never got her back. She was a floozy, though, she would have shacked up with anyone. No loyalty at all.

But our first dog was a chow/norwegian elk hound mix. Thick, toast-colored fur with black face and ears and curled tail.

He liked to chew on things. Wood furniture was his favorite. He hated used tea bags. He brought us dead squirrels and moles with the faces chewed off. He ran away one time when my dad took off for a couple of months. I think it was because he liked my dad the most, and went to go look for him. We never saw him again.

Never had dogs since those childhood two. They seem like a lot of work and emotional investment.

Two weenie dogs. (Thor and Chumlee)

Thor likes to jump on the bed in the morning when it's time to wake up, and does an alligator-death-roll on my hair until I get up.

Chumlee will only attack the faces of his stuffed toys until he rips their eyes and noses off, then he won't touch them ever again.

They both eat moths when they get in the house.

They're also my little babies and are completely spoiled rotten, but I can't help it.

I've had Keeshonds all my life. When I was born my parents all ready had one for a couple years. The one I have now is the fifth one we've had. I also have a Pomeranian (mix?) rescue that we got 7 years ago.

Winter is the Keeshond and Sarge is the Pom. They will be 9 and 10 this year. Starting to pile up the health problems. Sarge has heart issues, needs to be on meds every day, possibly Cushing's disease, and now I have to take him to the vet because his nose recently has become all cracked, maybe allergies. Winter has all ready had 2 operations for bladder stones, has bad arthritis in her hips and persistent lick granuloma issues.

Health issues starting to pile up now aside, they are wonderful dogs. They've given me love and happiness all their lives and they're all worth it.

I've always loved the Keeshond breed, growing up with them and having them all my life. I will always be partial to them. They've always seemed to have the best temperament, happy, loving, playful, stubborn too, but that's ok. I love all dogs though of any breed, they truly are the best friend a person could have.

ETA:

One of the funniest strange things a dog of mine has done. A Keeshond I had when I was a kid, Rascal he was obsessed with rodents. They drove him absolutely mad. Squirrels, moles, mice, rabbits, though they're not rodents, same to Rascal. We always knew when there was a mouse in the house because Rascal would be restless. The dogs I have now couldn't care less.

We used to have this weeping willow tree in the backyard at our old house. About five feet up it had a big fork. One day I walked in the kitchen and looked out the window and I see my dog sitting up in the tree in the fork. He had chased a squirrel up there and now couldn't get down. That started a semi-regular habit of him getting stuck in the tree and me having to get him down.

I have lived among Great Pyrenees since I was 16. Since they are so large, it is living among one, and not with. They're super mellow and nice dogs though if you don't mind barking and herding behavior

I've had Labrador Retrievers (English) since I was born. My mother was showing her first one (Bosco) when I was born in Oklahoma.

Have had 4 dogs in the 30 years I've been on this rock. Last one was Teddy, he came from a breeder up in Maine, just had to put him down almost 3 months ago. He was allergic to EVERYTHING. Human dander, grass, pollen, cats, etc. Great companion though.

Our first lab Bosco, she had this nickname that, in my kid brain, was weird. Both my mother and father called her Beeve, which I came to find out was short for beaver. Apparently, she was left in the garage when my folks went out shopping or whatnot, and upon coming home, they found that she had chewed through the sheetrock and gotten into the house.

I do adore dogs. I have had dogs my whole life, and each one has been awesome. My best friend is a small, gnarly little dog with an underbite and a huge personality. We have a blast.

My love of coffee is a close second to my love for my dog. :D

I live with two princesses: Fifi, a Chihuahua and Olive, a German Shorthaired Pointer. They are like Mad Max's Master Blaster. Fifi is the brains and Olive the brawn. Fifi tells Olive when there's something good in the trash and Olive gets it for her. I adore them more than my husband. Ok, I'm exaggerating. Ok, not really. :)

I didn't even know I could like dogs until I got my River. He's my little buddy.

He likes taking baths and sometimes he'll randomly get really riled up, jumping up and down and then run to the tub and get in, then run out to me jump up and down and run back. Once it happened in the middle of the night, scared me to death. This behavior always happens right around the time he actually needs a bath.

I secretly love that everyone he meets loves him and that he's usually the most well behaved dog on the block.

Anyone who's paid any attention whatsoever to my posts on this board knows I have a dog whom I completely love named Benny. Until a month ago, we've taken long, daily, FAST couple-mile walk/runs together. Sometimes I'm dragging him along as he's stopping to sniff a lamp post, other times he's dragging me along as I'm slowing to catch my breath.

Before we met, Benny was badly injured as a young pup. From what we know, his hip was loaded with buckshot and he was hit by a car and a Good Samaritan picked him up and turned him in for treatment at an animal hospital, where he stayed for a while, collecting hearts and treats, until he finally wound up in our hands.

Over the years his hips have bothered him on and off. They've quivered and shook from the nerve damage he sustained, but it hasn't slowed him down. He has chased squirrels (and caught them) and rabbits (and caught them) and raccoons (and battled them.) He's gleefully gone after deer, chasing them leaping into the woods, only to return deer-less but uninjured (thank goodness.)

Benny has the most expressive face in the world. I can read his emotions clearly on his doggy face and in his beautiful eyes. When Benny smiles, the sun shines.

Well, my baby hasn't been feeling well lately. In fact, I've been battling with the thought that things may come to having to watch the light go out of his eyes - at my hands. His hind quarters, his long-time weak point, have become weaker and weaker until the past month when he's been needing help to lift himself up. The past couple of days we've been carrying his food and water dishes to him, for which he's duly grateful. (His appetite is as healthy as ever.) This afternoon he didn't even perk up when I tried to tempt him with his walk. (The past few weeks his "walk" has dwindled to a few-yard stroll, mostly sniffing the grass, pooping, and then gladly returning to the car.)

I've intellectually come to terms with the fact that Benny and I may be temporarily parting ways soon, but I know when it does happen, I'll fall apart and WON'T be consoled. Emotions always kick Intellect's ass.

All my life I've tried to protect my heart, but I ended up falling in love with a goofy 3' 68 lb. brown-eyed charmer with a heart of gold and a killer smile, who may be leaving me lost and heartbroken shortly. Woe is me.

Anyone who's paid any attention whatsoever to my posts on this board knows I have a dog whom I completely love named Benny. Until a month ago, we've taken long, daily, FAST couple-mile walk/runs together. Sometimes I'm dragging him along as he's stopping to sniff a lamp post, other times he's dragging me along as I'm slowing to catch my breath.Before we met, Benny was badly injured as a young pup. From what we know, his hip was loaded with buckshot and he was hit by a car and a Good Samaritan picked him up and turned him in for treatment at an animal hospital, where he stayed for a while, collecting hearts and treats, until he finally wound up in our hands.Over the years his hips have bothered him on and off. They've quivered and shook from the nerve damage he sustained, but it hasn't slowed him down. He has chased squirrels (and caught them) and rabbits (and caught them) and raccoons (and battled them.) He's gleefully gone after deer, chasing them leaping into the woods, only to return deer-less but uninjured (thank goodness.)Benny has the most expressive face in the world. I can read his emotions clearly on his doggy face and in his beautiful eyes. When Benny smiles, the sun shines.Well, my baby hasn't been feeling well lately. In fact, I've been battling with the thought that things may come to having to watch the light go out of his eyes - at my hands. His hind quarters, his long-time weak point, have become weaker and weaker until the past month when he's been needing help to lift himself up. The past couple of days we've been carrying his food and water dishes to him, for which he's duly grateful. (His appetite is as healthy as ever.) This afternoon he didn't even perk up when I tried to tempt him with his walk. (The past few weeks his "walk" has dwindled to a few-yard stroll, mostly sniffing the grass, pooping, and then gladly returning to the car.)I've intellectually come to terms with the fact that Benny and I may be temporarily parting ways soon, but I know when it does happen, I'll fall apart and WON'T be consoled. Emotions always kick Intellect's ass.All my life I've tried to protect my heart, but I ended up falling in love with a goofy 3' 68 lb. brown-eyed charmer with a heart of gold and a killer smile, who may be leaving me lost and heartbroken shortly. Woe is me.

Tears and more tears!! My heart hurts for you. I don't even allow myself to go there. There are lots of friends here who can help you during this time. I'm so sad for you. I know this is part of life, but the loss of a pet is so difficult. I know you'll do the kind thing when the time is right. Until then, love him and love him some more. :( :(

I didn't even know I could like dogs until I got my River. He's my little buddy.

He is adorable!!! I love his little face.

All my life I've tried to protect my heart, but I ended up falling in love with a goofy 3' 68 lb. brown-eyed charmer with a heart of gold and a killer smile, who may be leaving me lost and heartbroken shortly. Woe is me.

I have thought of you and Benny often over the past weeks. I'm sorry he's not doing better.

It's inevitable in a dog thread that the topic of loss comes up; the one flaw I see in dogs is that we just don't get to keep them long enough. And I suppose that's the way it should be, but it's gut-wrenching when you lose them. I have two dogs that I have lost over the years that I still dream about, and my dream is always the same. They are running and playing on a lawn of green grass, and my grandmother and another dear friend who's been dead for years are both sitting in lawn chairs, laughing and smiling as my dogs run around them. Most of you will say it's just a dream. I believe I'm seeing Heaven, and that one day, I'll get to sit there as well. I still miss them so much - all of them. But what strikes me is that these two furry friends, (Muffin and Tiny) in spite of their idiotic, silly names, were two of the best friends I've ever had. And their silly names belie the fact that they were amazing, loving beings that left a huge hole when they died.

I came home for lunch yesterday and was so, stressed, so tired...my little bear dog lifted my spirits in about 30 seconds. Dogs are magical.

I love you, Tears. Hang in there. :love: :grouphug:

Archived