Quorra

Dogs

260 posts in this topic

Oh drawk, I am so excited for you! You don't need to justify buying another Keesie, we all know how much of an animal lover you are and that you have rescued before. It's not unusual to fall in love with a certain breed, if I ever get another dog again it will be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Can't wait to see pics of your little ball of fluff! :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, and thanks for understanding :)

Yep, I got a new digital camera and I'm ready to take a bunch of videos of my puppy girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My Augie the Boggie Doggy is having some old-man incontinence issues. Vet has him all checked out.  

 At this time, no, we are not doing neurosurgery and NO I am not going to take my dog to an acupuncturist.  The vet is doing all he can with arthritis mitigation.  We are doing hot baths as often as he can stand it.  The dog diapers are not smart enough for him.  He is still doing wag-tail and eat food and enjoy sunshine.  We have part of our house blocked off for him so I can work / sleep more than 2 hours at a time.  The mess is destroying my sanity.  Pee pads are happening, but he is a BIG DOG.  Anyone got advice about dealing with this old-man dog stuff?  This is my dog.  MY VET AND I ARE ALREADY DOING ALL WE CAN SO WE ARE NOT HERE FOR MEDICAL ADVICE.  I'd like some coping skills from my pals who have done this. 

I'm not ready to let Augie go and this stubborn bastard is still trying to get on the sofa. (Where he immediately poos, 'cause he's classy like that).

Edited by Lily Valley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

My Augie the Boggie Doggy is having some old-man incontinence issues. Vet has him all checked out.  

Lily Valley, :grouphug: 

Thinking of you and Augie and sending positive vibes.

Don't know how much advice I can offer. Maybe a large crate or pen to confine him and his mess for a few hours?

I dealt with Winter being a very anxious puppy that would have diarrhea all night so bad she'd bleed, when I got her a large crate it was like magic for her, at bedtime I'd open the door and she'd happily go in on her own, be content all night and at around 5 or 6am I'd start to stir and she'd hear me and begin to whine. I'd take her outside to do her business, but she was always a good girl in her crate all night.

It'd be different for a senior dog with incontinence issues of course, but maybe keeping the mess localized to one area would help.

Best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Caught my Boxer in a pretty badass pose due to the lighting in my living room near the patio:

Zebra Dog

Also, moved the couch to block the living room so the girlfriend and I could eat dinner without the dogs getting involved, but the Shepherd found another way through:

Sneaky Bastard

Edited by briantw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:24 AM, briantw said:

Caught my Boxer in a pretty badass pose due to the lighting in my living room near the patio:

Zebra Dog

Also, moved the couch to block the living room so the girlfriend and I could eat dinner without the dogs getting involved, but the Shepherd found another way through:

Sneaky Bastard

They are adorable!

 

So it's recently come to my attention of the rescue of many Keeshonden from a New York puppy mill.

The Keeshond is my most beloved breed and not only that, but these dogs are now in Maryland, the state where I live.

I'm sending both an application for fostering and adoption with a detailed letter of who I am and the lifestyle a dog can expect living with me.

Getting a health screened puppy from the reputable puppy breeder that's not a puppy mill is still on the table for me, but we'll see, right now this seems something I just can not ignore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 10:24 AM, briantw said:

Caught my Boxer in a pretty badass pose due to the lighting in my living room near the patio:

Zebra Dog

Also, moved the couch to block the living room so the girlfriend and I could eat dinner without the dogs getting involved, but the Shepherd found another way through:

Sneaky Bastard

Both great pictures. I especially like the shepherd, those dogs are the best. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I sent in an application to KARMA (Keeshond Rescuers Alliance of the Mid Atlantic) along with a 5 page letter, a letter where I poured my heart out about what getting a dog would mean to me and the care the dog would receive from me, and today I got a letter back in response.

They are disqualifying my application. They cited because I put how I've learned to do better and train better my dogs in the area of slipping out of the house without a leash to keep but it has happened in the past, I guess I should not have put that at all. Also cited because I have no fenced in yard for play and limited opportunities to venture to socializing events (my transportation issues which I explained I was working on). They said their primary interest was placing dogs in best possible situations. I don't know, I feel that the time and love I have to devote to a dog would more than make up for what I lacked, but they didn't see it that way.

This sucks. I tried to do the right thing. I'm sad and I'm depressed. :crying: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:( so sorry drawk 

:grouphug:

My darling dog is so old now, poor baby is 14 and although is still a handsome devil as ever is really struggling with his athritis these days...I love him so much I'm just trying to really make his last few years (FINGERS CROSSED) the absolute best I can...

Doggo lives like a freakin king anyway his bed is bigger than mine :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got a puppy a few months ago--a white Goldendoodle--she's so fluffy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

So I sent in an application to KARMA (Keeshond Rescuers Alliance of the Mid Atlantic) along with a 5 page letter, a letter where I poured my heart out about what getting a dog would mean to me and the care the dog would receive from me, and today I got a letter back in response.

They are disqualifying my application. They cited because I put how I've learned to do better and train better my dogs in the area of slipping out of the house without a leash to keep but it has happened in the past, I guess I should not have put that at all. Also cited because I have no fenced in yard for play and limited opportunities to venture to socializing events (my transportation issues which I explained I was working on). They said their primary interest was placing dogs in best possible situations. I don't know, I feel that the time and love I have to devote to a dog would more than make up for what I lacked, but they didn't see it that way.

This sucks. I tried to do the right thing. I'm sad and I'm depressed. :crying: 

So sorry, Drawk, that they are refusing to work with you.  Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to put the kind of things you did in your letter.  Too late now, I guess.  Is that the only organization you can go through to rescue a doggy representative of your favorite breed?  Apparently, Keeshonds in need of a home aren't that numerous, so they can afford to be extremely picky.  I hope things work out for you in your quest.  :grouphug:  

 

When I decide to get another dog, I plan on rescuing one, but I'm not sure exactly where I'll go or what breed/size to get.  There's so many dogs in need of homes.  I'm not stuck on a particular breed, so it should be fairly easy.  Unfortunately, I'm still missing my Benny so much that I'm somewhat afraid I'm fixated on wanting my next friend to be exactly like him - which isn't fair to the new dog.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

So sorry, Drawk, that they are refusing to work with you.  Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to put the kind of things you did in your letter.  Too late now, I guess.  Is that the only organization you can go through to rescue a doggy representative of your favorite breed?  Apparently, Keeshonds in need of a home aren't that numerous, so they can afford to be extremely picky.  I hope things work out for you in your quest.  :grouphug:  

 

When I decide to get another dog, I plan on rescuing one, but I'm not sure exactly where I'll go or what breed/size to get.  There's so many dogs in need of homes.  I'm not stuck on a particular breed, so it should be fairly easy.  Unfortunately, I'm still missing my Benny so much that I'm somewhat afraid I'm fixated on wanting my next friend to be exactly like him - which isn't fair to the new dog.   

 

Thanks TOL, no there really aren't any other Keeshond rescuers in my area, and the ones further away want to home their dogs locally anyway. I'm back to trying to get one from a breeder I think, AKC registered and treats all her dogs well of course.

I understand about Benny, I think if/when you do get another dog, just put foremost in your mind that you are getting to know a new personality, the dog will definitely be intent on showing that to you. The things you must have the dog do, housebreaking, heeling, etc. be strict about but other that aren't important, let the dog feel out what it's comfortable with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 4:01 PM, drawkcabi said:

So I sent in an application to KARMA (Keeshond Rescuers Alliance of the Mid Atlantic) along with a 5 page letter, a letter where I poured my heart out about what getting a dog would mean to me and the care the dog would receive from me, and today I got a letter back in response.

They are disqualifying my application. They cited because I put how I've learned to do better and train better my dogs in the area of slipping out of the house without a leash to keep but it has happened in the past, I guess I should not have put that at all. Also cited because I have no fenced in yard for play and limited opportunities to venture to socializing events (my transportation issues which I explained I was working on). They said their primary interest was placing dogs in best possible situations. I don't know, I feel that the time and love I have to devote to a dog would more than make up for what I lacked, but they didn't see it that way.

This sucks. I tried to do the right thing. I'm sad and I'm depressed. :crying: 

Rescue places can be dicks.  I remember when I was in college in Ohio and I really wanted to adopt a puppy, but no rescue place would accept my application because I lived in an apartment and they all required a fenced in yard.  I could have gotten an adult dog, I guess, but I wanted a puppy so it could be entirely mine.  I eventually just said fuck it and bought a dog (the one in my profile picture) from a breeder.  Not a puppy mill, mind you, just a legitimate, well-reviewed breeder.  

Just seems really stupid that I could have adopted a dog and given it a good life, but because I didn't have a yard I had to buy one.  Almost ten years later the one I bought is still kicking and chills with me all over Charlotte, but I guess that whole fenced in yard thing is really important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, briantw said:

Rescue places can be dicks.  I remember when I was in college in Ohio and I really wanted to adopt a puppy, but no rescue place would accept my application because I lived in an apartment and they all required a fenced in yard.  I could have gotten an adult dog, I guess, but I wanted a puppy so it could be entirely mine.  I eventually just said fuck it and bought a dog (the one in my profile picture) from a breeder.  Not a puppy mill, mind you, just a legitimate, well-reviewed breeder.  

Just seems really stupid that I could have adopted a dog and given it a good life, but because I didn't have a yard I had to buy one.  Almost ten years later the one I bought is still kicking and chills with me all over Charlotte, but I guess that whole fenced in yard thing is really important.

Yep, I'm back to going the breeder route, an AKC registered and reputable breeder that screens their breeding dogs for health issues and takes care of them like pets, with love, caring, good grooming, and freedom to roam.

After Sarge has passed, which I hope isn't for a long time*, I will look into adopting an adult dog from a rescue shelter again. But I've had Keeshonden all my life and I love the breed so much I want to always have at least one.

 

*Maybe it's because he's an "only child" now but Sarge just gets sweeter every day. He's 12 now, but everything that's going on with him, heart issues, semi collapsing trachea, thyroid problems (he's losing his fur around his back/butt/tail region, vet thinks it's either his thyroid causing this he still could have Cushing's disease and thinks he should be tested again) he takes it all with such aplomb. He has an indomitable spirit and does not let anything get him down, he loves his grandpa (my dad) with a fierce loyalty but gives his love to anyone he gets to know. So as long as he seems happy I'll do whatever it takes to keep him around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Augie took himself for a walk last night and had a grand old adventure.  I could have killed him I was so annoyed.  This is the dog who can't make it down the stairs by himself. :(  He is the NAUGHTIEST OLD MAN.  Glad to report he had a lovely adventure and was returned safe and sound.  NO CLUE why he decided to take off.  Totally my fault.  He was sunning himself out front.  I thought the roomie had brought him in, she thought I had.  Nobody realized he had taken off.  Seriously, it usually takes him 45 minutes to go for a 2 block walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

A new dog has joined my household.  I have no idea what she is, some mix of random stuff, I guess.  But sweet as can be. And also a mega shedder.  She's short haired and white, so her hair shows up everywhere.  I brush against her and those little white hairs stick to my jeans.  White hair all over my couch and bed, on the carpet, in my car.  There's no escape. I've bathed her several times, brushed her a gazillion times, but still hair all over the place.  My other dog is a poodle so I'm really not used to it and I'm finding that I really hate it.  Is there anything to be done to limit the shedding even a little?  A special brush?  Special type of grooming?  

Edited by Dr. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

A new dog has joined my household.  I have no idea what she is, some mix of random stuff, I guess.  But sweet as can be. And also a mega shedder.  She's short haired and white, so her hair shows up everywhere.  I brush against her and those little white hairs stick to my jeans.  White hair all over my couch and bed, on the carpet, in my car.  There's no escape. I've bathed her several times, brushed her a gazillion times, but still hair all over the place.  My other dog is a poodle so I'm really not used to it and I'm finding that I really hate it.  Is there anything to be done to limit the shedding even a little?  A special brush?  Special type of grooming?  

If you're dog is a heavy shedder, there's really not much you can do about it.  I have a German Shepherd and they shed all year round.  It gets really bad twice a year, but it happens the rest of the year as well.  I use a Furminator and, after I use it, it really only makes things slightly better for a couple of weeks.  

While I love the dog, I've also decided I'll never get another long-haired dog after this.  My next dog, which hopefully is still several years away (already got two and don't intend to have three at once) is gonna be something like a Rott, Mastiff (either an English or a Cane Corso), or maybe a Ridgeback, which was the breed I was originally eyeing before I ended up going with the Boxer in my profile picture ten years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridgebacks are the best. I've had 6 in my life and my parents have 3 right now. Amazing dogs, smart, beautiful, chill and loyal.

Just recently, our english creme Dachschund turned 1. He's a brilliant dog when he's not being a major cockblock. Dachschunds are just so happy and the long haired ones are pretty chill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mexal said:

Ridgebacks are the best. I've had 6 in my life and my parents have 3 right now. Amazing dogs, smart, beautiful, chill and loyal.

I originally was planning to get a Ridgeback in college, but the breeder I was looking at (which was the only one I could find back in Ohio ten years ago) didn't have a litter available when I wanted to buy my puppy.  I ended up going with a Boxer instead.  Can't say I made a bad decision, though.  Ten years later and I'm not sure I'll ever have a dog I love more.  Even my friends regularly comment that he's the best dog ever, and some of them have their own dogs.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My late, great, darling Bennie was (we think) a Ridgeback/Boxer mix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now