Samwell Tarly in The Winds of Winter

ShelbySmythe

Is anybody else excited for Samwell's storyline in TWoW? I feel that storylines like Tyrion's, Dany's and Jon's have been given a lot of attention, and not enough has been given to Sam. Something is cooking in Oldtown, and I believe Samwell will be uncovering important plot points soon. Anybody else excited?

No

Cant stand him, chapters are boring as hell

I do want to know whats good in Old Town though, with Jaquen/Pate, Salleras/Alleras etc.

Guess some of the maester training would be cool to see but in general I would not mind if him and Gilly got killed

I just have a real hard time viewing the stuff in Old Town as important. I mean maybe GRRM will prove me wrong, but at the moment it just seems like filler to me.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think most of the filler is behind us now. (And damn if Sam's aFfC chapters aren't the most obvious filler in the series). I think the show seemingly doing the Oldtown storyline means it will be important, maybe.

Excited ? Definitely ! All the Oldtown stuff is fascinating. Anywhere George can enlighten us with some relevant Planetos knowledge through a P.O.V character is invaluable. And let's face it, Sam is potentially in the right place to shed plenty of light on the current situation, the Citadel has an exhaustive library, and Samwell is a keen reader, bring on the knowledge !

Add to that any connections we could find in Sam's chapters regarding Alleras, Pate/Jaqen/Faceless dude [ and that key.], magic [ or the distain for it within the Citadel.] Marwyn, Gilly, Randyll, Glass Candles, The Church of the Starry Wisdom......etc. Loads to look forward to IMHO.

I think Sam may get involved in working with the Ravens and their old abilities as well, he has shown a connection to the birds before, maybe something to watch ? :dunno:

I just have a real hard time viewing the stuff in Old Town as important. I mean maybe GRRM will prove me wrong, but at the moment it just seems like filler to me.

The only thing that interests me about Oldtown is the Citadel library. Sam might find something there that escaped the burning in CB, that tells him more about the Others.

No

I do want to know whats good in Old Town though, with Jaquen/Pate, Salleras/Alleras etc.

Guess some of the maester training would be cool to see but in general I would not mind if him and Gilly got killed

I'll admit, his chapters in AFfC were quite stale, but I believe they'll pick up in TWoW (more hoping than believing). And the Jaqen/Pate subplot is one of the most interesting subplots in the books. I can't wait to see what Jaqen's aim is.

Sam's a favorite so yes, looking very forward to what awaits him. TBH, I want to see that creep father's reaction to Gilly and the baby, but I enjoy whatever good happens to Sam. He's smart and kind and fiercely loyal. Everyone should have a friend exactly like him.

Sam's a favorite so yes, looking very forward to what awaits him. TBH, I want to see that creep father's reaction to Gilly and the baby, but I enjoy whatever good happens to Sam. He's smart and kind and fiercely loyal. Everyone should have a friend exactly like him.

What a friend you can bully into whatever you want to do, but will still follow you around like a puppy because you're the only friend he ever had?

No

This sums up my feelings perfectly.

No

This pretty much I'm kind of hoping Euron kills him sacks old town and slaughters some Tyrells they're needing thinned out

I think we will see Sam perform some heroics when Euron attacks Oldtown. We will also learn about the Citadel's conspiracy and Jaqen's mission.

I don't really see Sam doing anything heroic against the Crow's Eye, but he'll definitely discover something about Jaqen's mission. Plus, it'd be cool if, considering all the talk with Marwyn, he were to find Blood and Fire, the tome containing information on dragons, locked in a vault beneath the Citadel. Being a book reader, Sam would love to get his hands on something like that.

I don't really see Sam doing anything heroic against the Crow's Eye, but he'll definitely discover something about Jaqen's mission. Plus, it'd be cool if, considering all the talk with Marwyn, he were to find Blood and Fire, the tome containing information on dragons, locked in a vault beneath the Citadel. Being a book reader, Sam would love to get his hands on something like that.

Sam's archery skills have been given special attention in AFfC. The last time his arrow managed to reach a longship. I think Jaqen is after Blood and Fire, given the FM have been given a job to whack Dany's dragons.

Sam's archery skills have been given special attention in AFfC. The last time his arrow managed to reach a longship. I think Jaqen is after Blood and Fire, given the FM have been given a job to whack Dany's dragons.

The Faceless Men are skilled, but I think the person who hired them to assassinate three dragons are probably overestimating their talents...

Archived