Samwell Tarly in The Winds of Winter

ShelbySmythe

As long as I will never again have to read about a miserably sea voyage complete with retching sailors, wind, rain, and a crying baby, why, yes, I'm all for Sam's POV chapters.

We are finally, finally about to learn more about the Maesters and their (possibly dark) plans. And I don't think Sam is as developed a character as he's supposed to become, so there will be more learning and growing on his part; I suppose he'll confront his father and (if this were written by a soppy romance writer and not GRRM) there might even be a chance of the father gruffly and manly apologizing for underestimating his son all the time. Well, one can dream.

Isnt there supposedly a bunch of books about magic and dragons and such hidden in old town? I'm definitely interested in that. And, like wavey said, the alleras/sarella and jaqen/pate characters have piqued my interest as well. Also he keeps randomly running into other characters on his journey, which is cool to read about from his perspective.

Wow, lots of people reallllyyy don't like reading Sam chapters

Other than *that one* chapter on the sea...I really look forward to his POV. Especially now that he's in Old Town, there is bound to be a lot of stuff going on there. I'm hoping to learn more about dragons and the others from what Sam finds in the Citadel library. Plus the Pate story line. Plus Sarella/Arellas. Plus Euron arriving. Plus the glass candles burning.

And just being located at the Citadel where more information is stored about history than anywhere else in Westeros...we're bound to learn some interesting, important info.

Other than *that one* chapter on the sea...I really look forward to his POV. Especially now that he's in Old Town, there is bound to be a lot of stuff going on there. I'm hoping to learn more about dragons and the others from what Sam finds in the Citadel library. Plus the Pate story line. Plus Sarella/Arellas. Plus Euron arriving. Plus the glass candles burning.

Was ist only one chapter? In my memory, the whole book was interspersed with an endless number of boring sea voyage chapters. :-)

I'm definitely hoping for glass candles and creepy maester conspiracies, too.

I just have a real hard time viewing the stuff in Old Town as important. I mean maybe GRRM will prove me wrong, but at the moment it just seems like filler to me.

i don't know, we know so little about these workers of magic, and there's going to be some gold in there about this. dissapointed we wont be seeing marwyn straight away though, and i hope euron doesn't take sam for his seabitch :crying:

Was ist only one chapter? In my memory, the whole book was interspersed with an endless number of boring sea voyage chapters. :-)

I'm definitely hoping for glass candles and creepy maester conspiracies, too.

No, the sea voyage took a while....His chapters were at the Wall, then at sea, then Braavos, then at sea, then 1/2 sea 1/2 Oldtown.... but I'm specifically talking about the pink mast chapter that is the only one I'm not so fond of.

He'd be cut to shreds.

Not necessarily, I can see an ending where Sam ascends the throne in the same way that Claudius became Emperor in "I Claudius", and of course he even became a "god" in "Claudius the God". After all knowledge is power and Sam is in the center of knowledge in Westeros. We assume that the winner will be a warrior or have the power of dragons but wouldn't it be like GRRM to stand that on its head and in the end it's the mind that is triumphant, not the sword arm?

No, the sea voyage took a while....His chapters were at the Wall, then at sea, then Braavos, then at sea, then 1/2 sea 1/2 Oldtown.... but I'm specifically talking about the pink mast chapter that is the only one I'm not so fond of.

Oh my God, that was one unfortunate metaphor.

Not necessarily, I can see an ending where Sam ascends the throne in the same way that Claudius became Emperor in "I Claudius", and of course he even became a "god" in "Claudius the God". After all knowledge is power and Sam is in the center of knowledge in Westeros. We assume that the winner will be a warrior or have the power of dragons but wouldn't it be like GRRM to stand that on its head and in the end it's the mind that is triumphant, not the sword arm?

No, I mean the Iron Throne will literally cut him to pieces.

Archived