Samwell Tarly in The Winds of Winter

ShelbySmythe

I found the initial Sam chapters in ASoS boring, but got excited after he met Bran. His was one of the few PoVs that I found easily readable in AFFC. Really looking forward to what happens to him. My wish is that he does something heroic and stands up to his father, Randyll Tarly.  It is likely that he may get killed by Euron, but I believe Sam has some level of plot armor right now - him dying only affects Jon and Gilly. Jon half expects never to see Sam again, and Gilly is not that important. I don't think of Sam chapters as 'fillers', but more like exposure. We get to see so many other characters through Sam. he is actually a wizardly PoV. - The mutiny at Craster's Keep, Night's Watch election, Cat of the Canals, and Oldtown. I know many people also dislike Arya chapters in AFFC and ADWD. I think these so called fillers will come together to form an important thread - Euron, Facelessmen, Arya, Citadel, Alleras, Dragons, Sam, Others.

I have no doubt that Sam is going to play a major role going forward, and not only that, I believe he'll be standing at the end of everything.  I believe he'll uncover a lot of historical texts at the Citadel that will prove what people believe is "real history" to be indeed fabrications by the church. 

I picture Sam, when it's all said and done, being a scholar at the Citadel that starts to record *accurate* history from the time they are alive, and finally straightening out Westeros's history for generations moving forward.

We need Samwell Tarly as well!
  :bs:

We need someone who would tell as the truth about our history!  :bowdown: 

We need Samwell Tarly as well!
  :bs:

We need someone who would tell as the truth about our history!  :bowdown:

We sure do and he is also the maester who will work with greenseer later on.  I have high hopes for Samwell as he is now a grown man and know who some of  the actual enemy are. Since he first came as POV he has always been learing and knew he a lot before, thanks to his intelegense.  In my reading he has never been boring, he just see and act not like all the brainless brother he now has.  And he has an order now from his LC to never never say he is craven again!   Think he is the GRRM of the Song and will tell the end of it.

I like Samwell.  I think that we will finally see Sam come into his own at Oldtown.  Whenever I think of Sam, I always remember Ned Stark's words to his son Brandon in the very first chapter of Game of Thrones.

Bran tells his father that Jon said that the deserter was afraid and Robb said he was brave. 
Ned says, and what do you think Bran?
Is it possible to be brave if you're afraid?
"That's the only time you can be brave."

I may not have gotten the quote exactly right, but, that's the gist of it.  Sam is so afraid, he doesn't realize that his actions despite his fear make him braver than many of his Black Brothers.  It doesn't seem to faze Sam that overcoming his fear and taking action is the very definition of bravery.  His father really did a number on him.  I am also hoping that he will be able to stand up to his abusive father and prove himself a better man, a braver man, a great man even with his father looking on.

His book smarts should take him to some interesting discoveries, and us along with him!  I want to know more of the Jade Compendium.  I want to hear more about the oily black stone at the base of the Citadel.  I think Sam will be able to answer a lot of nagging questions for us and perhaps make some discoveries that will help save the realm, possibly even Jon himself.

Too much?  Well, in short, I need a hero!

Nice link you made there with the father/son conversation. What makes Sam the Slayer a hero already is that he not only killed one of the others he also defied them by wittholding a potential recruit which is Craster's son.

All the stories being told through all these pov's are so much intertwined without us even knowing all the connections yet (and some we will never see probably). But from this point on there has to be something valuable to learn from every chapter. And I think Sam is in an excellent position to provide us with loads of knowledge about a variety of subjects present, past perhaps even a glimpse of the future if George wants to show us something trough the yet untouched glass candle.

I don't know were to put my money with Sam the possibilities are endless its really annoying. Then there are still the paté/jaqen alleras/sarella mysteries lurking. And on top of that the threat of the ironborn with euron at there head. Almost forgot to mention the horn here that damn thing is gonna creep up on us when we least expect it.

One thing I'm sure of Sam still got a big part to play regarding the end game, let's get it on!

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't "love" Sam, his character has grown on me and now he is in a position to give us lots of good info. I'm looking forward to finding out what's happening at the Citadel.

It's definitely becoming one of the most enjoyable storylines. There are so many mysteries surrounding the Citadel, and Samwell Tarly is the man to reveal them.

The Faceless Men are skilled, but I think the person who hired them to assassinate three dragons are probably overestimating their talents...

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures, ad the FM are never known to have failed a mission. 

IIRC Littlefinger said that the price for killing a merchant would be enough to hire an army (when discussing how to assassinate Danaerys with Robert Baratheon's small council).  Who could afford the price of killing three dragons???

The Yunkai'i, definitely.  Also, a few Braavosi factions. Besides, it is how much of their wealth they are willing to give rather than a fixed price. 

I'm really looking forward to Sam's POV chapters in TWoW. I liked all his chapters in the previous books (well, the pink mast was a bit embarassing, but then, Sam was embarassed).

Sam's one of my favourite characters so I want to know what happens to him. I also want to learn more about the Citadel and the maesters (and what they've been up to with their anti-magic stance, "infiltrating" all the noble houses etc.), also the Pate/Jaqen and Alleras/Sarella thing, and Marwyn, the subversive maester.

Sam could also be our "eyes" in the south. There could be lots of interesting stuff going on with the Ironborn in the Reach. Will Sam meet his family (doubtful), especially his father Randyll Tarly (more likely?). And what will happen to Gilly and Mance's son?

And how will it all tie up with the Wall, and the big picture? Well, we might have to wait till ADoS for that.  :lol: 

In my dreams Maester Sam will be the one who'll write the history of the Great Wars for posterity.

I'm really looking forward to Sam's POV chapters in TWoW. I liked all his chapters in the previous books (well, the pink mast was a bit embarassing, but then, Sam was embarassed).

Sam's one of my favourite characters so I want to know what happens to him. I also want to learn more about the Citadel and the maesters (and what they've been up to with their anti-magic stance, "infiltrating" all the noble houses etc.), also the Pate/Jaqen and Alleras/Sarella thing, and Marwyn, the subversive maester.

Sam could also be our "eyes" in the south. There could be lots of interesting stuff going on with the Ironborn in the Reach. Will Sam meet his family (doubtful), especially his father Randyll Tarly (more likely?). And what will happen to Gilly and Mance's son?

And how will it all tie up with the Wall, and the big picture? Well, we might have to wait till ADoS for that.  :lol:

In my dreams Maester Sam will be the one who'll write the history of the Great Wars for posterity.

That would be nice. Like if the final chapter of A Dream of Spring was Maester Samwell upon the Wall, writing a book about the bravery of the Night's Watch against the Others, and then, hearing a horn, he walks outside to see Jon (assuming he does get resurrected, or something of the sort) return from a ranging. After a brief conversation, he returns to his quarters, sits at his table, and continues writing, the only source of light coming from his obsidian candle that he brought back from Oldtown.

Indeed, that would be nice.

I don't understand all the ill-will towards some characters on here. But eh, while Sam bores me, he is rather smart and I like the things we can learn from him. I think we could have a lot of potential for Oldtown, and Sam could maybe find his calling and really contribute something. I wish Gilly would go away but she makes him happy and he's not a bad person, and there's far better people to wish ill upon. 

Honestly, I forgot he was even a POV character. As interesting as the things he gets into may be, as a person he's just not so extraordinary. I'm looking forward to what we can learn from his chapters, but I wouldn't be too fussed if he just went on a holiday and we could get someone else in there to experience Old Town for us. 

Honestly, I forgot he was even a POV character. As interesting as the things he gets into may be, as a person he's just not so extraordinary. I'm looking forward to what we can learn from his chapters, but I wouldn't be too fussed if he just went on a holiday and we could get someone else in there to experience Old Town for us. 

That's probably one of the reasosn I like Sam. :) He's a pretty ordinary guy, not particularly attractive or brave or heroic. Intelligent and bookish - a bit nerdy, in fact.

Sam seems to be related to the Starks.He has crossed paths with Jon,Arya and Bran.Why not Sansa in Winds?especially if he finds something interesting about the Others and heads North.

That's a nice idea though I haven't thought how or why that might come to pass.

I think Sam's POV chapters will provide our eyes in the Citadel/Oldtown and the Reach, and I expect a lot to be going on there in tWoW.

• 5 months later...
On 24/8/2015 at 11:32 AM, talvikorppi said:

That's a nice idea though I haven't thought how or why that might come to pass..

If Sam finds something about the Others and heads North to tell Jon he might get a ship from Gulltown or King's Landing (if Sansa goes to Aegon).

I have also thought of Alleras taking Sam to Dorne after Oldtown falls, so we learn more of Doran's plans and how the hunt for Darkstar ends.

I'm always surprised by how few people are even worried about Sam.  I can understand people wanting his POV to continue.  What I don't get is so many people not even realizing he was in danger.

Aemon warns him against the Sphynx; Sam disregards the warning and allows himself to be riddled by Alleras.

Marwyn and Alleras are obviously evil as all hell, or they would not be part of a cabal that includes poor Pate's murderer.  And yes, they obviously know who he is, or they would not be allowing him to be present at super-secret meetings.

Marwyn and Alleras want to silence Sam.  They say so outright.

Marwyn and Alleras assign an ASSASSIN to show Sam to his quarters in an abandoned tower overlooking a river, from which bodies are readily disposed.  Meanwhile, there is no indication that anyone else even knows Sam has reached the Citadel.  One does not sent a Faceless Man to fluff the pillows of a novice, if you mean to let him live.

No Samwell chapter appears in the post-Feast portions of DANCE.

No Samwell chapter is among the confirmed chapters of Winds.

GRRM anticipates only 13 pov chapters in Winds.  This does not leave much room for a Samwell chapter.

It looks Grim for Sam.

47 minutes ago, ChillyPolly said:

No Samwell chapter appears in the post-Feast portions of DANCE.

No Samwell chapter is among the confirmed chapters of Winds.

GRRM anticipates only 13 pov chapters in Winds.  This does not leave much room for a Samwell chapter.

So you think the epilogue will climax with Samwell's murder, despite the fact that he won't have appeared in Winds prior to this? Or am I forgetting a PoV that he might interact with? 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

So you think the epilogue will climax with Samwell's murder, despite the fact that he won't have appeared in Winds prior to this? Or am I forgetting a PoV that he might interact with? 

No.  I think Samwell died offscreen shortly after the close of FEAST.  For those able to take a hint, his last chapter WAS his death chapter.  The death of Pate foreshadows his fate.  The Alchemist will now appear as Sam, just as he once appeared as Pate.

I don't even understand the questions you are asking.

2 hours ago, ChillyPolly said:

No.  I think Samwell died offscreen shortly after the close of FEAST.  For those able to take a hint, his last chapter WAS his death chapter.  The death of Pate foreshadows his fate.  The Alchemist will now appear as Sam, just as he once appeared as Pate.

I don't even understand the questions you are asking.

Oh, I get it now. I just couldn't see when he could possibly die on screen other than the epilogue. 

But what does the alchemist have to gain by pretending to be Samwell? 

Archived