Worst Presents Ever

l2 0 5 5

I've received some pretty atrocious presents in my time. My aunt seems to make an annual event of it at Christmas.

For my last birthday, my girlfriends' parents gave me a little book I could have read on a toilet venture. It was a tiny book with motivational quotes. A whole lot of 'go get 'ems!' 'take the day!' and 'strive for the best!' Besides wondering if this was a subtle poke at me, I couldn't help but acknowledge how lame the gift was.

What about you?

I was single, living alone, and in poverty. My mother gave (re-gifted) me this giant food processor to lug around and never use. I know she didn't buy it for me - she had it, had never used it, and dumped it on me as a "present". Thanks for nothing, Mom.

My 13 year old birthday I got an office chair from my mom because "we need a new one for the computer room" (which was just a walk-in closet). We were poor and on welfare, so I understood, but I still give her shit about it to this day.

Like (seemingly) most families, ours had the tradition of opening up one present on Christmas Eve. One particular Christmas Eve when I was a kid, my sisters got to open up cool Barbie toys. Me? I got a bible. A fucking bible. I was 6 or 7.

I think I got a bible from one aunt or another every other Chrstmas.

My inlaws made a point of donating to a charity that I don't support on my behalf for Christmas at the same time announcing that they also wanted to receive donations on their behalf (this is a week before Christmas - I'd already gotten them a present).

I donated to the NICU at the hospital where my children were born and the oldest stayed for seven weeks.

when i was young, fabulous, and broke, my mother bought me suze orman's awful money book for the young, fabulous, and broke, which, as the title suggests, is an investment guide for persons who have no moneys, and is therefore the most pointless book since how to learn french was translated into french. gross.

I don't like complaining about gifts, because by their very nature they're something I'm not entitled to, earn, etc. With that said...

The worst I ever got was a deck of AP history study cards (I don't take AP history) like what you would buy from the checkout of Barnes and Noble from my Grandfather and Step-Grandmother (Step-grandmother buys the gifts), which was for me and my brothers to share. My (step) cousin got a laptop.

I simply cannot bring myself to complain about any present. Someone gave enough of a fuck to buy or make me something. I appreciate that, doesn't really matter what the thing in question actually is.

Yeah yeah a gift is a gift and we should shut our mouths and not complain. But sometimes gifts just really suck.

My mom gives the worst gifts. She got me this electric kettle that takes forever to boil water. Every year she gets me jesus jewelry of some sort, knowing that I'll never wear it, and it's always something pricey so as to increase my guilt or something. She also gets me perfume-y stuff despite knowing that since I was a kid, I"m allergic. Every time I spend xmas with them, I know that on the way home I'll have to stop off somewhere to dump the gifts.

When I was 14, my mother, bless her heart, got me an oversized leather Harley Davidson jacket with... wait for it... tassels. I still shudder a little to think of it. I knew it was expensive and that if I didn't speak up, there would be fights later if I refused to wear it, and there was no way ever that I was wearing that to school. So she returned it and I got no gift that year. But first she tried to convince me that I would look cool - "I thought you'd like it because your best friend has a leather jacket". My best friend had a plain, fitted jacket. To this day, she chalks it up to inexplicable teenage flakiness, despite the fact that there has never been a single second of my life that I've wanted a jacket with tassels, much less a Harley jacket.

At least she was trying. For my 30th birthday, a friend of hers from church sent me a Bible and an Evangelical devotional book. I gave the Bible to the goodwill but couldn't deal with the thought of being responsible for anyone else reading that toxic Evangelical shit and dumped it in the trash, which is the first time I've ever thrown away a book in perfectly good condition.

When I was 14, my mother, bless her heart, got me an oversized leather Harley Davidson jacket with... wait for it... tassels. I still shudder a little to think of it. I knew it was expensive and that if I didn't speak up, there would be fights later if I refused to wear it, and there was no way ever that I was wearing that to school. So she returned it and I got no gift that year. But first she tried to convince me that I would look cool - "I thought you'd like it because your best friend has a leather jacket". My best friend had a plain, fitted jacket. To this day, she chalks it up to inexplicable teenage flakiness, despite the fact that there has never been a single second of my life that I've wanted a jacket with tassels, much less a Harley jacket.

At least she was trying. For my 30th birthday, a friend of hers from church sent me a Bible and an Evangelical devotional book. I gave the Bible to the goodwill but couldn't deal with the thought of being responsible for anyone else reading that toxic Evangelical shit and dumped it in the trash, which is the first time I've ever thrown away a book in perfectly good condition.

Thank you.

I am a terrible person to buy gifts for, and most of my "awful" gifts would be considered great if given to another person. My in-laws, in particular, just don't get me at all. MIL is always buying two of what she gets for her daughter, and giving one to me. My SIL usually loves the present, while I hate it. I have a drawer full of jewelry I don't care for and have never worn. One year she got me a very expensive earring and necklace set that was just awful in my eyes. (Yellow gold, when I only wear white, pale gemstones when I prefer dark, post earrings when I prefer dangles) My husband told her not to get it, but she did anyway because "she thought I needed something nice." I felt terrible that the money she spent went to waste, but sorry, I'm not leaving the house in it. Last Christmas she bought me a Keurig that I specifically told her I did not want. (Luckily, it was one of the ones recalled, so I just took it back with that excuse) For me, it's not the actual *thing* that's so awful, it's the fact that someone who has known me for 25 years could be so clueless.

However, last Christmas (I was 19), I got a ''craft-your-own'' thing that was essentially a ball of playdough that you could stick plastic limbs and pieces of face onto to make your own monster.

Was it from someone who knew you better or saw you more as a child? When I was a teenager, I found that some aunts and uncles who I didn't see often sometimes got a little confused over my age and/or size and tended to get clothes that were too big or toys that were too childish.

However, last Christmas (I was 19), I got a ''craft-your-own'' thing that was essentially a ball of playdough that you could stick plastic limbs and pieces of face onto to make your own monster. I was a little confounded as to why I'd been bought this, and considered waiting for a while then passing it off to my 6 year old neighbour... but it melted on my windowsill (in Winter!), dripped all over the place and now I can't get the stains out of my carpet. :lol:

Are you sure it was Playdough? I remember when they came out with Silly Putty, it came with a warning that you had to keep it in its egg when you were finished playing with it, or it would "run away."

My parents love to fill mt Christmas stocking with those Free Gifts! you get from credit cards and banks. I don't know how many cheap solar calculators and pocket planners I've accumulated and never used.

My aunt has made bad gifting an art form. Every year for Christmas, she gave my husband and brothers Christmas underwear that had horrible jokes on them, like " Santa's Inside" or "I've got your Ho, Ho Ho.!" Just awful. She also once gave my husband a single plastic knob you attach to a light switch to make it dim the light. Once she gave me a gift that still had the garage sale sticker on it. It was $2.

Yeah, I'm thankful that someone took the time to get me a gift, but I can't help but roll my eyes at some of them. I remember being a kid and opening presents at my birthday party... This was the foundation of feigning enthusiasm.

I'm going to feel terrible even saying this as I love my nan but she is CONSTANTLY BUYING ME CRAP that I DO not want. She buys me jewelry ALL THE TIME. Maybe 1/8 of which I actually really like and wear and because I wear those few things she just keeps buying it for me even when I ask her not to. She buys me clothes all the time most of which I hate or don't fit me and I DON'T want it. She is ALWAYS buying me food and the house is BURSTING with food all the time I know I sound like the most horrible ungrateful person ever but it's way too much food for a house with two people and we have to chuck lots of stuff because I honestly just can not eat it in time because there's SOOO MUCH. She bought me an omelette maker and lots of other things like that when I was living in my TINY, TINY STUDENT FLAT and it just had to go on top of the fridge for two years because I never used it and there was no room for it anywhere else.

I usually don't complain about gifts but my Nan drives me mad with it all I hate that she spends so much money on buying me things that I simply do NOT WANT.

Archived