Worst Presents Ever

l2 0 5 5

I use my Amazon wish list as a reminder list for myself. I have another one called "classroom wish list" that contains little things that I want for my classroom. My sister usually gets me one regular present (that she chooses) and then something off my classroom wish list like a poster. It's pretty awesome. :)

I tell people my amazon wish list it is about the kind of things I like, not of list of exactly what to buy me.

That's fair enough. Like I said, the idea behind the wish list is pretty great, particularly those people for whom buying a gift can be notoriously difficult. I know I could use one for my sister, I need to get her a gift in the next week or so.

It turned out it was better than him, but it was more the sentiment. I didn't actually like this guy very much, and he wore thin on my housemates, who called him Creepy Dave. He tried to win them over by bringing over bread a lot, but it never worked.

Bread and a vibrator? How did you let that gem go?!?!

OH OH - I forgot. My ex-husband gave me a penis bong.

That sucked.

:leaving:

Now that's the gift that keeps on giving!

I was going to answer a post about regifting, but all I can think about now are the myriad ways in which a vibrator and a penis bong would be regifted, and I just can't do it.

Ok, I lied, because writing this made me realize I actually DID regift a vibrator! I had a friend who was shy going into sex shops, so I took him, and I bought a "marital aid". Only it wasn't one I was really interested in, I just bought it to make him feel more comfortable. I thought about a particular friend, and I presented it to her with the story (and the box) intact.

I'm sending hugs to those of you who need them. Nobody wants to feel unimportant enough to get a thoughtless gift, but feeling that way when a parent or step-parent does it is just awful. SSW, Brook, and Lany. :grouphug:

Cool. Socks are great because they're never a useless gift. You can't have too many good pairs of socks.

Exactly. And they get holes after some time, so you can almost always need more. And even if one is not poor one is saved the hazzle to buy new ones.

I am often a terribly ungrateful receiver of gifts, unfortunately.

I am often not happy even with well-meant gifts (sometimes I am just too picky or want very special things, sometimes well-meaning people did ignore other wishes and gave me what they "thought I should like").

And I am very bad at hiding this which has led to awkward situations... Objectively, those gifts were almost never terrible (although once my mom totally ignored rather precise whishes about what kind of sweater I would like and gave me one I did not like at all and to my recollection never wore) but it can still come close to spoil the mood on a birthday or Xmas.

I'm still going with the ankle length leather jacket I received for Christmas. To begin with it was hideous, and to top it off when I did put it on my mother exclaimed happily "Oh, you look perfectly Aryan!"

To which I replied "That's never a compliment"

And my sister added "yeah, just get him some jackboots and he can be a bad guy in the next Lethal Weapon."

good times.

I'm still going with the ankle length leather jacket I received for Christmas. To begin with it was hideous, and to top it off when I did put it on my mother exclaimed happily "Oh, you look perfectly Aryan!"

And my sister added "yeah, just get him some jackboots and he can be a bad guy in the next Lethal Weapon."

good times.

Ahahahaha - this reminds me of my mother's Porter Wagoner phase, where everything I received from her over a span of 5 years or so resembled a country music ensemble. Don't get me wrong; I love me some glitter, sequins, and fringe. But you have to be careful with that crap. It's powerful, and unless you are appearing at the Ryman, you can look pretty ridiculous.

I could have performed for 2 weeks straight with the crap she gave me. It was unreal.

You guys are ungrateful wretches. Don't you understand that any gift, no matter how weird or inappropriate, can be used in **some** way?

The SS uniform leather coat, for instance. You could have cut it up and sewn awesome leather toss pillows from it! Do you know what those things GO for? They're terribly expensive. You obviously have no taste, Greywolf. :tsk-tsk:

And, ES, I expected better from you. :( Think how wonderfully the Big Head Candle would have fulfilled its destiny if used as an "Elf on the Shelf." It could pop up unexpectedly on the dashboard or on the bedpost, watching to see if the person was being good or bad. This effect would be heightened if you could have magic-markered in some eyes and a cheery smile.

As for SSW, ALWAYS TAKE any jewelry you are offered. Gold has probably come down in value since you were gifted the ring set, but you could have turned that frown upside down in terms of cold, hard $$$$.

You guys are just lacking in imagination. I'm sorely disappointed. :bawl:

good times.

I knew a guy in school who wore a full-length leather duster every day. To be fair, most people avoided the nazi comparison in favour of matrix jokes. It was common for people to randomly start the slow-motion bullet-dodging moves whenever he walked by.

I also like socks, and my mother has finally figured out that I'm not a wearer of white crew socks in size 9-12. I regifted a lot of those back to her. She now gets me an annual package of Costco wool socks, and you can really never have too many of those. (Even the ones that she got me in the wrong size I was able to give to my roommate, who is curiously without wool socks. When he was traveling to Boston in the middle of Snowpocalypse this year, I gave him several pairs because my drawer runneth over.)

The nice thing about socks and underwear is that they let you extend your laundry cycle. I think I might be permanently stuck in the mentality of a lazy student. :P

Archived