Arrow Season 4: For the Night is Darhk and Full of Terrors...

Jaxom 1974

So do you think Berlanti has just stretched himself too thinly this year? He's writer/producer on all 4 of the DC shows isn't he? I like the thought of him coming back to the Flash offices all "hey, thanks for helping me out the last few weeks, let's just take a look at the scripts you've.........you made Zoom JAY? Da FUCK?!" Arrow dropped in quality when The Flash arrived, and now the other two shows have arrived, The Flash has dropped. Basically he can only make one of them good, except now with 4, none of them are good. Well, I don't really watch Supergirl, but I've seen a few and it's pretty weak.

Is Berlanti considered good? It just seems to me the main issue comes from the top, he sketches out the overall plotline of the series and lets the writers figure out the fine details. My main issues are that the overarching plot is uninteresting and repetitive, and the tone is just so dour, the writers aren't consistently writing drab brooding episodes by accident, they're doing what they're told to write.

My main point is, does Berlanti deserve to shirk the blame? I'm unfamiliar with him, he may have some great portfolio, but I don't know about it.

You could be right, I'm not really sure how it works. I just assumed it was his baby, and he can't possibly oversee 4 shows as well as he can 1. The Flash is definitely lazier this year, it's not just tone or plot, it feels like a lot less time has been spent on it.

I do occasionally wonder, I admit, if there are any people who read comics...silver age and into the 80s...on these writing staffs...I think a general lack of over reaching understanding of the source material plays into some of the issues when they arise...

On 03/05/2016 at 8:42 PM, Red Tiger said:

Slade was awesome

Slade's whole motivation for being pissed on the other hand....

Made no sense to a sane person. But his mind was completely warped by the Mirakuru. He was irrational for a reason. Unlike Summer Glau's character, who was just irrational. 

We are not going to talk about that lame, weak as piss episode from season 3. Nope, not at all. Never happened. 

16 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Is Berlanti considered good? It just seems to me the main issue comes from the top, he sketches out the overall plotline of the series and lets the writers figure out the fine details. My main issues are that the overarching plot is uninteresting and repetitive, and the tone is just so dour, the writers aren't consistently writing drab brooding episodes by accident, they're doing what they're told to write.

My main point is, does Berlanti deserve to shirk the blame? I'm unfamiliar with him, he may have some great portfolio, but I don't know about it.

No, at the end of the day the buck stops with him. He gets the big pay, he gets his name on the show and the production company, he gets the blame if things don't work and he gets the blame for hiring writers who can't carry out good work. 

So Darhk wants to destroy the entire world. This calls for a much larger, more robust group of good guys trying to solve this problem. It's fine for team Ollie to try and save their city over and over again. But this kind of menace calls for the damn Justice League, it calls for the US government throwing everything it's got at Darhk. Will we see it unfold in such a way? Fuck no!!!

And I can't wait to see how Thea Truman gets out of that situation. 

On 4-5-2016 at 3:29 PM, Batman said:

Made no sense to a sane person. But his mind was completely warped by the Mirakuru. He was irrational for a reason. Unlike Summer Glau's character, who was just irrational. 

We are not going to talk about that lame, weak as piss episode from season 3. Nope, not at all. Never happened. 

Well that, but also the fact that Ollie suddenly said "Shado was the woman he loved". It was an asspull of titanic proportions as prior to that no hint was given that Slade felt that way about her.

On 06/05/2016 at 10:05 PM, Red Tiger said:

Well that, but also the fact that Ollie suddenly said "Shado was the woman he loved". It was an asspull of titanic proportions as prior to that no hint was given that Slade felt that way about her.

Yeah, I don't even think they had a scene alone together until he got injured. They needed to sell it better than they did. There was the occasional hint of feelings but not enough. 

On 05/05/2016 at 2:07 PM, Corvinus said:

So Darhk wants to destroy the entire world. This calls for a much larger, more robust group of good guys trying to solve this problem. It's fine for team Ollie to try and save their city over and over again. But this kind of menace calls for the damn Justice League, it calls for the US government throwing everything it's got at Darhk. Will we see it unfold in such a way? Fuck no!!!

And I can't wait to see how Thea Truman gets out of that situation. 

Yeah, you would think Barry could take like 5 minutes out of his day to stop Darhk. The entire world being on the line and everything. Hell, even if it were just a city. 

1 hour ago, Batman said:

Yeah, you would think Barry could take like 5 minutes out of his day to stop Darhk. The entire world being on the line and everything. Hell, even if it were just a city. 

Barry should be taking an interest just to defend his brand. Endangering the entire world is his thing, after all.

57 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

Barry should be taking an interest just to defend his brand. Endangering the entire world is his thing, after all.

It is true, his business is letting bad guys get away.....because reasons and business is BOOMING.

On 03/05/2016 at 0:56 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I do occasionally wonder, I admit, if there are any people who read comics...silver age and into the 80s...on these writing staffs...I think a general lack of over reaching understanding of the source material plays into some of the issues when they arise...

doesn't Geoff Johns occasionaly write episodes? He's the comics chief creative guy (akin to Berlanti being a producer) and from his comics knows DC inside out. Then again I'm just reading a story where evil superman moves the moon to a permanent eclipse so he probably embraces the science of shows like the Flash.

Weirdly Jeph Loeb seems to do a far better job of this marvel TV which is weird as his comics are pretty toxic. He did start out in film/TV so is maybe more comfortable there. Maybe they should give Geoff Johns similar power with the DC shows - or find one of their writers who has a history in tv? No idea who those candidates would be. Usually I think it's better to have tv folk do the tv and either base the show on the tv show (eg Jessica Jones) or have a comic writer around for consulation eg Brian Bendis or Robert Kirkman.

I was very surprised that they actually had that nuke destroy a whole town. Quite an audacious choice for a comic book tv show. I hope they  portray the consequences realistically. That would be a world-changing event. 

I'm not sure what they are trying to do with Lance and Donna, but hopefully he breaks things off with her soon. I saw some red flags in this episode, to put it mildly.

A follow up from my previous post. given that the last episode of the flash was one of the best/least offensive of the season, I'm wondering if Kevin Smith could be a good "comic book guy" to oversee DC TV? He also knows how TV/film works (to varying degrees).

I'm surprised Smith didn't do Arrow first given his run on the comic. I did hear he wanted to bring one of his DC charcters to a CW show so maybe he is getting more involved?

Archived