Arrow Season 4: For the Night is Darhk and Full of Terrors...

Jaxom 1974

On 09/05/2016 at 1:17 AM, red snow said:

doesn't Geoff Johns occasionaly write episodes? He's the comics chief creative guy (akin to Berlanti being a producer) and from his comics knows DC inside out. Then again I'm just reading a story where evil superman moves the moon to a permanent eclipse so he probably embraces the science of shows like the Flash.

Weirdly Jeph Loeb seems to do a far better job of this marvel TV which is weird as his comics are pretty toxic. He did start out in film/TV so is maybe more comfortable there. Maybe they should give Geoff Johns similar power with the DC shows - or find one of their writers who has a history in tv? No idea who those candidates would be. Usually I think it's better to have tv folk do the tv and either base the show on the tv show (eg Jessica Jones) or have a comic writer around for consulation eg Brian Bendis or Robert Kirkman.

Bit harsh. He has had some terrible ones, but he also wrote Long Halloween, Public Enemies and Superman for All Seasons. His Marvel Ultimate stuff was appalling. 

I would like to see Mark Waid get the creative quarterback role. He is a great writer and really seems to get the characters. Geoff Johns would be an improvement as well, but I don't really feel his stuff was as great. Birthright vs Secret Origin is a pretty easy example. 

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

A follow up from my previous post. given that the last episode of the flash was one of the best/least offensive of the season, I'm wondering if Kevin Smith could be a good "comic book guy" to oversee DC TV? He also knows how TV/film works (to varying degrees).

I'm surprised Smith didn't do Arrow first given his run on the comic. I did hear he wanted to bring one of his DC charcters to a CW show so maybe he is getting more involved?

Apparently one of the producers flat out said that he would not be involved. Smith was offended that, given his work on the character, the producer was not more diplomatic in his answer. No idea if that has changed, but his work was more Green Arrow and less Batman-light so I am not sure his vision fits with theirs. 

Seriously the Russians just sat there twiddling there thumbs for 21 hours? All nuclear systems are manually operated at some level precisely to stop nonsense like this. There would be a way to stop this even if it was just lock the silo doors.

But that silliness aside, them nuking a town was an interesting way to go. Although it'll probably be forgotten in short order.

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Bit harsh. He has had some terrible ones, but he also wrote Long Halloween, Public Enemies and Superman for All Seasons. His Marvel Ultimate stuff was appalling. 

I would like to see Mark Waid get the creative quarterback role. He is a great writer and really seems to get the characters. Geoff Johns would be an improvement as well, but I don't really feel his stuff was as great. Birthright vs Secret Origin is a pretty easy example. 

The ones you named are pretty much it though. His work took a massive nose-dive around the time he did the Jim Lee Batman run. Superman/Batman was terrible and his Wolverine run was terrible. Maybe he's got his mojo back with a move to TV but I'm glad he's not writing comics the way he was over the last decade.

Waid probably would be a good choice. His comics often read like TV shows (Daredevil certainly did). He used to have a habit of falling out with editorial a lot (often he appeared in the right) but that hasn't happened for a while so he could work in a TV environment. Chances are he'd be at Marvel though.

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Apparently one of the producers flat out said that he would not be involved. Smith was offended that, given his work on the character, the producer was not more diplomatic in his answer. No idea if that has changed, but his work was more Green Arrow and less Batman-light so I am not sure his vision fits with theirs. 

Good point RE the show being Batman not Green Arrow based :)

Does seem an odd thing for the produce to say especially given he's directed a Flash episode. Guess it must be a producer that isn't shared between shows?

1 hour ago, red snow said:

The ones you named are pretty much it though. His work took a massive nose-dive around the time he did the Jim Lee Batman run. Superman/Batman was terrible and his Wolverine run was terrible. Maybe he's got his mojo back with a move to TV but I'm glad he's not writing comics the way he was over the last decade.

Waid probably would be a good choice. His comics often read like TV shows (Daredevil certainly did). He used to have a habit of falling out with editorial a lot (often he appeared in the right) but that hasn't happened for a while so he could work in a TV environment. Chances are he'd be at Marvel though.

Good point RE the show being Batman not Green Arrow based :)

Does seem an odd thing for the produce to say especially given he's directed a Flash episode. Guess it must be a producer that isn't shared between shows?

Yeah, that's true. I heard Dark Victory was good. His Slide has not been as bad as Frank Miller's, though. Didn't get as high either, but still. 

Checked and it was Marc Guggenheim. Not a Flash producer.

I don't really know what happened in this episode, but other than Felicity changing the location of the strike which still resulted in thousand of deaths, the rest was crap.

It goes without saying that flashbacks were once again unnecessary. But I also could have done without Thea's story in the episode. Did Alex die? I couldn't tell by how Thea acted.

So the entirety of ARGUS's military power is half a dozen guys. But Layla's comment about who is saving the world was funny.

The Russians just sitting on their asses, and presumably everyone else, too, while their nukes were being prepped was beyond stupid.

So they got 12 hours from when Felicity gets her dad to help, but then only 15 minutes til they get their gear together, and then they manage to save the world, all the while incessantly chatting about their relationship - yeah that wasn't annoying or dumb. And it turns out that the only way to stop the missiles is by manually overriding each one, rather than all at the same time. How did they accomplish this in 15 minutes?

What's Lance going to do now? How much good can he do not being a cop anymore, because he listened to his girlfriend? Is the guy with a bad heart going to become a vigilante, taking his daughter's place in the team?

I have to assume that the room Darhk was in lost all connectivity to the rest of the facility when Felicity sent that electrical surge. It's the only thing that would explain why Darhk sat there twiddling his thumps while his wife and daughter were being threatened. 

And I agree that Merlyn needs to go. Edit: Actually I don't care, since one more episode and I'm done.

The destruction of an American town by an ICBM was rather not given a lot of attention, it seems, apart from the general horror of the death toll. But I guess Darhk is more fun to watch than politicians we've never seen before holding tense diplomatic phone conversations.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

And I agree that Merlyn needs to go. Edit: Actually I don't care, since one more episode and I'm done.

Yeah, he needed to go a long time ago, but looks like if it's going to happen, I won't be around to appreciate it.

OK, I cannot hate the finale, especially in light of the godawful finales of LoT and Flash.

Arrow has had the best season of the three shows, and a way better finale than the other two. Sure it ended with much broodiness, but also with hope. It almost makes me wish I would continue with it. Maybe I'll check it out in the fall, see the direction they intend to take it.

If only they got rid of the useless, annoying flashbacks; and toned down on the heart-to-heart talks during moments of world wide crisis.

Too bad Darhk was not the greatest villain he could have been. They failed to show the human in him. He had a wife and a daughter, but no background as to how that happened. All we saw of him was the crazy, power hungry villain. If anything, the flashbacks this season should have been about him, not that stupid idol on that stupid island.

But it was nice to see Oliver take an important step towards a more positive outlook. And we even had a major street brawl Dark Knight Rises style. Merlyn just casually joining up with them was probably the most annoying part, except the flashbacks.

And major kudos to the team for saving the world, and on top of that, ridding the world of all its nuclear weapons. They've made the world a better place.... oh wait, Barry the Timeslayer hit the reset button, so fuck it!!! :lol:

Actually the only way I'll watch next season of Arrow, if Barry is the villain that the team has to stop. ;)

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Arrow has had the best season of the three shows, and a way better finale than the other two. Sure it ended with much broodiness, but also with hope. It almost makes me wish I would continue with it. Maybe I'll check it out in the fall, see the direction they intend to take it.

Indeed. In the messy morass that is the DC TV universe, Arrow has managed to deliver the most satisfying season. But I don't think that even if they had killed Merlyn I would be coming back.

The finale had a nice... uh, finality to it, so I feel like I'm parting from the show on good terms.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Actually the only way I'll watch next season of Arrow, if Barry is the villain that the team has to stop. ;)

Okay, yeah, I'd make it a point to catch up with the show next summer if that happened.

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'd watch the hell out of that.  I'd tune into the entire CW DC lineup if Barry were the supervillain they all had to take care of.  

Hang on, just need to roll my eyes back after Olivers speech.

On 5/26/2016 at 4:32 AM, Corvinus said:

This is now making me think that it'd be great if each shows episode in any given week was the same episode but from the perspective of each side, you'd need to put Flash afterwards as every episode of Arrow, Oliver wins, then Barry goes back in time and undoes that victory.

On 5/19/2016 at 0:32 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I can't wait for Supergirls brooding rage laden second season.

Wouldn't it be fun if The Flash going back in time undid all of the damage they did to Deathstroke in season 3? Like he wasn't a total bitch anymore? That would be cool. Or just like everything after Season 2. 

16 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I can't wait for Supergirls brooding rage laden second season.

Be honest, would it make it worse? 

• 1 month later...

Archived