Arrow Season 4: For the Night is Darhk and Full of Terrors...

Jaxom 1974

10 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

The majority don't know the heroes secret identity. Of course Darhk does, but it's not like Ollies is very well hidden anyway, he was arrested twice for it, and only last let off by a very shaky false confession from Roy.

Yeah. I generally refer to the big bads.  The ones with the the resources. :P

The fallout from the stupid lie was as stupid as expected. Felicity's mobility came back just at the right moment to walk out on Oliver. I'm sure somebody in the writers' room thought that was very clever.

The rest of the episode was kind of fun. We even had Laurel being likeable and relatable in a dramatic moment, quite an achievement.

Thea telling Malcolm off was great. I just wish I could believe that the writers clearly intended for him to be the bad guy, but with their evident love for the character I'm not ruling out that his demented behaviour will be vindicated down the line.

I can't believe Darhk still hadn't figured out that Oliver is Green Arrow. Makes Lance look much better in retrospect.

His "Well, that happened" reaction to Vixen snatching the idol was also pretty funny. And if he hadn't insisted on pointless gloating he still could have won in that final confrontation.

Also:

Vixen: You're doing everything you can, you can't beat yourself up about this.

OIliver: You clearly don't know me very well.

:rofl:

Yup, if there's one thing Oliver can do better than anybody, it's feeling guilty.

Did I skip some episodes? Here is this powerful, versatile superhero who both Oliver and Barry know. I did see in one commercial break that there is this Vixen animated series on a related channel. So I guess we need to watch that to know her background?

And I learned something new - Detroit is part of the DC fictional city verse :P

Who else got an Evil Dead vibe from that flashback scene? I was ready to burst out laughing.I have a feeling that the flashbacks will reveal that Oliver has known all along how to deal with Darhk's magic, he just conveniently forgot or ignored because reasons.

I feel strange saying this, but why do I find a giant talking shark man, on the Flash more believable than Felicity's spine magically healing..........after only 4 or 5 week's at most.

What was the point of even putting her in the chair in the first place, if they're just going to write it out so soon.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Did I skip some episodes? Here is this powerful, versatile superhero who both Oliver and Barry know. I did see in one commercial break that there is this Vixen animated series on a related channel. So I guess we need to watch that to know her background?

It was a web series, I think.

I'm fine with dropping in new characters without explaining their backstory in detail, but both Oliver and Laurel knew her and neither of them thought that it might be a good idea to bring someone with magical expertise in to deal with their magical supervillain?

42 minutes ago, Selysin said:

So where are all of Star city's journalists? Surely someone should have noticed that all of their police were searching for some missing kid and put two and two together. 

They don't even need to do the thinking themselves, there were so many people involved in this that there's no way this doesn't leak.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

And I learned something new - Detroit is part of the DC fictional city verse :P

Who else got an Evil Dead vibe from that flashback scene? I was ready to burst out laughing.I have a feeling that the flashbacks will reveal that Oliver has known all along how to deal with Darhk's magic, he just conveniently forgot or ignored because reasons.

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

It was a web series, I think.

I'm fine with dropping in new characters without explaining their backstory in detail, but both Oliver and Laurel knew her and neither of them thought that it might be a good idea to bring someone with magical expertise in to deal with their magical supervillain?

They don't even need to do the thinking themselves, there were so many people involved in this that there's no way this doesn't leak.

I blinked at first, trying to think if Oliver's reference to meeting her a year earlier was something that was going to play into Year 5 on the island...but then he made the comment about it being an, "animated encounter" and I chuckled and remembered the web series.  Though it isn't the kind of thing I'd seek out...they did have a promo for it during the hour though also.

As to not bringing her in sooner?  Well isn't that kinda Oliver's thing?  Always doing things for himself, even though he has a team.  And he was finally called out on it in the episode.  Both by Felicity and Darhk...

The flashbacks jumped King Shark three seasons ago and don't really add anything.

And actually, there is kinda a dearth of media and reporting in Star City in general, isn't there?  Other than the occasional television reporter delivering updates about things going on...

About Felicity, I don't think I ever anticipated that they'd be keeping her in the chair.  It isn't something television in general isn't prepared to do.  At least they gave a sorta reason for letting her walk...with the microchip...though they've never said she's healed.  She's basically a cyborg...They get a small pat on the back from me for not making her time in the chair overly full of angst for her or Oliver.  And is it wrong that I'm really hoping that the events of yesterday's Arrow plays into how things shaped up in Star City in 2046 on tonight's Legends? 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

About Felicity, I don't think I ever anticipated that they'd be keeping her in the chair. 

Yeah, I thought it was a given, too. I wonder if they'll ever mention consequences from the fact that, apart from creating a battery that will revolutionise the global energy market, Palmer Tech now also has a device that can negate the effects of paralysis. The company should be the hottest commodity on Wall Street right now.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And is it wrong that I'm really hoping that the events of yesterday's Arrow plays into how things shaped up in Star City in 2046 on tonight's Legends? 

When Sara gets back from her wacky time travel adventures, the first thing she'll do is tell Oliver and Felicity to get back together in an effort to prevent the dystopian future she's witnessed coming to pass.:P

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

The fact that the company invented a cure for a damaged spine in only 3 or 4 should really say volumes. Lol

Seriously why even put her in the chair if they're just going to do this?

It's comic book time.  It's always wacky with the miracles and the ninja skill learning curves.  It is what it is and there isn't much reason to rail against it to be honest.

I thought this week's Arrow and Flash were the best written episodes of their respective seasons.  Barry wasn't such a psychopath and actually thought about the consequences of his actions.  The people around Oliver reacted in some pretty believable ways.  There's some comic book logic/science involved with things like Felicity's microchip but it was internally consistent with the show and they've spent time this season setting it up even before she was paralyzed.  Even Laurel was pretty amazing in the episode.  

That said, the shows have created some extremely low standards so being the best episode of a season isn't exactly high praise.  

The flashbacks continue to be the worst because what's the point of them.  

19 minutes ago, Risto said:

I could have forgiven them everything but Lance conveniently remembering the idol was a drop I hated the most.

Was it completely awful though?  He DID see Darhk in front of the idol once or twice, but what relevance could it have had before Vixen came along and started talking about totems and idols...?  If anything, the tick was that suddenly Lance was in the lair at that particular point.

19 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Was it completely awful though?  He DID see Darhk in front of the idol once or twice, but what relevance could it have had before Vixen came along and started talking about totems and idols...?  If anything, the tick was that suddenly Lance was in the lair at that particular point.

Well, one would assume that they have talked about Darhk enough for all of them to know that he has an idol. It was just a bit too convenient for my taste :)

10 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, one would assume that they have talked about Darhk enough for all of them to know that he has an idol. It was just a bit too convenient for my taste :)

That's fair.  Though they didn't actually start tackling the problem as a magical problem until Felicity decided that Oliver had to actually try something different.

The Vixen animated series is worth watching because it can't really be called a series. There's no time commitment. All of the webisodes were about two minutes long. The entire season is 32 minutes long -- it's basically a 30 minute episode of a cartoon. I watched it before Vixen's appearance on Arrow last night. The show has some pretty stellar animation, though the series itself was as rushed as the 30 minute runtime would suggest.

When it comes to Arrow, I look forward to the guest appearances by other DC characters. Because, well, there's little else to find compelling other than the show's ability to be a platform for more exciting heroes. I really liked what they did with Vixen. Between King Shark and Vixen, the VFX guys were the real stars this week in the Berlantiverse.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I thought this week's Arrow and Flash were the best written episodes of their respective seasons.

I feel like several characters, namely Thea and Diggle, suffered from being forced into a position to support Oliver's lies. They generally didn't put up with his crap in the past, and it feels like an attempt by the writers to keep the viewer somewhat sympathetic to Oliver rather than organic characterisation.

Other than that I'd agree that the writing in this particular episode was fine, all its problems arose from mistakes made in the past.

I'm sorry, but Felicity stand up like that, might be the dumbest moment from this season, IMO. It just felt so stupid and out of place. I can even picture the writers thinking it was sooooooo cleaver to have Felicity magically walk again, just to walk out on Oliver. If this was their plan from the get go, they should have never put her in the chair in the first place.

I tell yea, at this point there are only two things I can think of right now that can make me like Arrow again, 1) Bring Slade back or 2) Have The Question on the show as a supporting character. That being said, killing Felicity and having Oliver move on to Laurel would be a step in the right direction. While I'm not particularly a huge fan of the way the show has treated Laurel over the years, The Green Arrow/Black Canary relationship is a comic classic.

Archived