Darkstar is a Brightflame

Lost Melnibonean

Part I

In Game, Pycelle told Eddard that Varys was born in Lys. In the Hedge Knight, which was published after Game but before Clash, we learned that Aerion was temporarily sent to Lys. Ever since Jon I, Clash 6, we have known that Aerion had a legitimate son, who was passed over as an infant for the crown in favor of Aegon V. But we did not know who the boy's mother was. The speculation was that he was from Lys.

The Brightfyre theory grew out of dissatisfaction with the widely accepted Blackfyre theory, which posited that Jon Connington's Aegon was actually the son of Illyrio Mopatis and his wife, Serra. The Blackfyre theory assumed that Serra was the sister of Varys and they were descendants of Daemon Blackfyre. The Brightfyre theory was developed by readers who concluded that Illyrio was the Blackfyre descendant, and that Serra and Varys, the latter of whom surely has at least a drop of dragonblood, were descendants of Aerion.

However, in The World of Ice and Fire, we learned a bit more about Aerion's wee son, who was named Maegor. After his return from Lys, Aerion was wed to his cousin Daenora Targaryen. Daenora was the daughter of Rhaegal Targaryen, who was Daeron II's third son, and Alys Arryn. We also learned that Aerion's father was wed to Dyana Dayne. Thus, Maegor really had no connection to Lys. We can only speculate what happened to Maegor after Aegon V stepped over him to take the Iron Throne as per the will of the Great Council, but when did that stop us from constructing theories, eh?

Aegon V most likely would have had Maegor fostered at the Red Keep, Dragonstone, or Summerhall. Alternatively, he could have let some other lord foster him. If so, the most likely houses would have been the house of Maegor's maternal grandmother, House Arryn, or the house of Maegor's paternal grandmother, House Dayne. And it should be pointed out that House Dayne was the house of Aegon V's own mother.

Now, if we assume that Maegor was fostered by House Dayne, it's not too difficult to assume that Aerion is the great grandfather of Gerold Dayne (as Rhaegar is the great grandson of Aegon V).

Arianne Martell arrived with Drey and Sylva just as the sun was going down, with the west a tapestry of gold and purple and the clouds all glowing crimson. The ruins seemed aglow as well; the fallen columns glimmered pinkly, red shadows crept across the cracked stone floors, and the sands themselves turned from gold to orange to purple as the light faded. Garin had arrived a few hours earlier, and the knight called Darkstar the day before.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

Many readers have taken this description of the sunset as a symbol of the emergent power of Houses Lanninster and Tyrell. But red is also the color of House Targaryen. Since this is the introduction of the chapter, could it be a signal that a new Targaryen was about to be introduced?

"Garin the Great," offered Drey, "the wonder of the Rhoyne."

"That's the one. He made Valyria tremble."

"They trembled," said Ser Gerold, "then they killed him. If I led a quarter of a million men to death, would they call me Gerold the Great?" He snorted. "I shall remain Darkstar, I think. At least it is mine own." He unsheathed his longsword, sat upon the lip of the dry well, and began to hone the blade with an oilstone.

Arianne watched him warily. He is highborn enough to make a worthy consort, she thought. Father would question my good sense, but our children would be as beautiful as dragonlords. If there was a handsomer man in Dorne, she did not know him. Ser Gerold Dayne had an aquiline nose, high cheekbones, a strong jaw. He kept his face clean-shaven, but his thick hair fell to his collar like a silver glacier, pided by a streak of midnight black. He has a cruel mouth, though, and a crueler tongue. His eyes seemed black as he sat outlined against the dying sun, sharpening his steel, but she had looked at them from a closer vantage and she knew that they were purple. Dark purple. Dark and angry.

He must have felt her gaze upon him, for he looked up from his sword, met her eyes, and smiled. Arianne felt heat rushing to her face. I should never have brought him. If he gives me such a look when Arys is here, we will have blood on the sand. Whose, she could not say. By tradition the Kingsguard were the finest knights in all the Seven Kingdoms . . . but Darkstar was Darkstar.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

I understand that many Daynes have platinum blonde hair and purple eyes, but Darkstar is described as a Targaryen. Dig the description of Aerion. . .

Slim and straight as a dirk, though only of middling height, he was near Dunks own age. Curls of silver-gold hair framed a face sculpted and imperious; high brow and sharp cheekbones, straight nose, pale smooth skin without blemish. His eyes were a deep violet color.

The Hedge Knight

A couple of posts below, Falcotron points out the discrepancies between these two descriptions. I still think they have a similar look, at least seperated by three generations. And Arianne suggests that he looks like a dragon lord.

Once the kindling caught, they sat around the flames and passed a skin of summerwine from hand to hand . . . all but Darkstar, who preferred to drink unsweetened lemonwater.

. . .

Arianne knew better. If Quentyn has the Golden Company behind him . . . "Beneath the gold the bitter steel," was their cry. You will need bitter steel and more, brother, if you think to set me aside. Arianne was loved in Dorne, Quentyn little known. No company of sellswords could change that.

Ser Gerold rose. "I believe I'll have a piss."

"Watch where you set your feet," Drey cautioned. "It has been a while since Prince Oberyn milked the local vipers."

"I was weaned on venom, Dalt. Any viper takes a bite of me will rue it." Ser Gerold vanished through a broken arch.

When he was gone, the others exchanged glances. "Forgive me, princess," said Garin softly, "but I do not like that man."

"A pity," Drey said. "I believe he's half in love with you."

"We need him," Arianne reminded them. "It may be that we will need his sword, and we will surely need his castle."

"High Hermitage is not the only castle in Dorne," Spotted Sylva pointed out, "and you have other knights who love you well. Drey is a knight."

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

And the aquiline nose is a Valyrian feature...

Ser Laenor had the aquiline nose, silver-white hair, and purple eyes that bespoke his Valyrian blood.

The Rogue Prince

Here, the author subtly compares the bitterness of Aegor Rivers to Darkstar, who prefers to drink unsweetened lemon water, a very bitter drink, to wine. This is a bit tricky because Aerion drank wine. But the important point here, I think, is that Aerion is as bitter as Aegor. Bittersteel was bitter because of his failure to install a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne. When Aerion was drinking wine, he had not been passed over for the throne. Four generations later Darkstar was drinking lemon water. What grievance was he nursing?

"Princess." Ser Gerold Dayne stood behind her, half in starlight and half in shadow.

"How was your piss?" Arianne inquired archly.

"The sands were duly grateful." Dayne put a foot upon the head of a statue that might have been the Maiden till the sands had scoured her face away. "It occurred to me as I was pissing that this plan of yours may not yield you what you want."

"And what is it I want, ser?"

"The Sand Snakes freed. Vengeance for Oberyn and Elia. Do I know the song? You want a little taste of lion blood."

That, and my birthright. I want Sunspear, and my father's seat. I want Dorne. "I want justice."

"Call it what you will. Crowning the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture. She will never sit the Iron Throne. Nor will you get the war you want. The lion is not so easily provoked."

"The lion's dead. Who knows which cub the lioness prefers?"

"The one in her own den." Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. "This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel."

I am no murderer of children. "Put that away. Myrcella is under my protection. And Ser Arys will permit no harm to come to his precious princess, you know that."

"No, my lady. What I know is that Daynes have been killing Oakhearts for several thousand years."

His arrogance took her breath away. "It seems to me that Oakhearts have been killing Daynes for just as long."

"We all have our family traditions." Darkstar sheathed his sword. "The moon is rising, and I see your paragon approaching."

His eyes were sharp. The horseman on the tall grey palfrey did indeed prove to be Ser Arys, white cloak fluttering bravely as he spurred across the sand. Princess Myrcella rode pillion behind him, swaddled in a cowled robe that hid her golden curls.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

Targaryens have family traditions too, and several Targaryens were very cruel. Aerion, was perhaps the cruelest of all. And tell me with a straight face that Darkstar doesn't come off as jerky as Aerion. . .

Boy, let go of that nag and see to my horse.

. . . He is talking to me, Dunk realized. I am not a stableboy, mlord.

Not clever enough? . . . If you cannot manage a horse, fetch me some wine and a pretty wench.

I. . . mlord, pardons, Im no serving man either. I have the honor to be a knight.

Knighthood has fallen on sad days, said the princeling,

The Hedge Knight

Arianne led her queen-to-be to the final member of her little band. "Last, but first in valor, I give you Ser Gerold Dayne, a knight of Starfall."

Ser Gerold went to one knee. The moonlight shone in his dark eyes as he studied the child coolly.

"There was an Arthur Dayne," Myrcella said. "He was a knight of the Kingsguard in the days of Mad King Aerys."

"He was the Sword of the Morning. He is dead."

"Are you the Sword of the Morning now?"

"No. Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night."

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

One of the coolest lines in all of ASOIAF. . . . Just kidding :)

As she led the princess to the fire, Arianne found Ser Gerold behind her. "My House goes back ten thousand years, unto the dawn of days," he complained. "Why is it that my cousin is the only Dayne that anyone remembers?"

"He was a great knight," Ser Arys Oakheart put in.

"He had a great sword," Darkstar said.

"And a great heart." Ser Arys took Arianne by the arm.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

Darkstar is resentful and jealous of others. So was Aerion. . .

After a pause to dip his lance to Prince Baelor, a pause so brief that was almost perfunctory, he galloped to the north end of the field, past Lord Leos pavilion and the Laughing Storms, slowing only when he approached Prince Valarrs tent. The Young Prince rose and stood stiffly beside his shield, and for a moment Dunk was certain that Aerion meant to strike it . . . but then he laughed and trotted past, and banged his point hard against Ser Humfrey Hardyngs diamonds. Come out, come out, little knight, he sang in a loud clear voice, its time you faced the dragon.

The Hedge Knight

Part II

The rest of this is virtually everything we know about Darkstar and some questions as to how he fits into the plot. . .

Once I crown Myrcella and free the Sand Snakes, all Dorne will rally to my banners. The Yronwoods might declare for Quentyn, but alone they were no threat. If they went over to Tommen and the Lannisters, she would have Darkstar destroy them root and branch.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

Does anybody think that Darkstar would really go to war against House Yronwood for Arianne? I dont see him doing her bidding, but there might be some foreshadowing here for the Second Dance of the Dragons.

Darkstar's laughter rang out. "Are you blind or stupid, Oakheart? There are too many. Put up your sword."

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

This is very, very curious. If his plan had been to kill Myrcella, wouldnt he have egged Arys on to provoke chaos? And if he had been the informer in league with Doran, as Arianne considers later, why did he want to kill Myrcella?

She heard Areo Hotah roar, "After him. He must not escape. After him!" Myrcella was on the ground, wailing, shaking, her pale face in her hands, blood streaming through her fingers.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

Hotah made no reply, except to grunt. Arianne could feel his anger. Darkstar had escaped him, the most dangerous of all her little group of plotters. He had outraced all his pursuers and vanished into the deep desert, with blood upon his blade.

. . .

Finally, she crawled back onto the featherbed. The world had grown dark, and there was little she could do but sleep. Someone told, she thought. Someone told. Garin, Drey, and Spotted Sylva were friends of her girlhood, as dear to her as her cousin Tyene. She could not believe they would inform on her . . . but that left only Darkstar, and if he was the betrayer, why had he turned his sword on poor Myrcella? He wanted to kill her instead of crowning her, he said as much at Shandystone. He said that was how I'd get the war I wanted. But it made no sense for Dayne to be the traitor. If Ser Gerold had been the worm in the apple, why would he have turned his sword upon Myrcella?

The Princess in the Tower, Feast 40

Jiminy Cricket, I'm as lost on this as Arianne.

I have a raven, Arianne thought, triumphantly, but who to send her to? The only one of her conspirators to escape her father's net was Darkstar. By now Ser Gerold might well have been taken, however; if not, he would surely have fled Dorne.

Arianne later tells the Sand Snakes that Darkstar has not fled Dorne.

She touched one of the cyvasse pieces, the heavy horse. "Have you caught Ser Gerold?"

Hey R_T, if you're reading this, why is the cyvasse heavy horse associated with Darkstar?

He shook his head. "Would that we had. You were a fool to make him part of this. Darkstar is the most dangerous man in Dorne. You and he have done us all great harm."

Why is Darkstar the most dangerous man in all of Dorne? Could it be that he has a claim to the Iron Throne? Is it possible he could drag Dorne, or at least part of Dorne into a war to prosecute that claim?

Arianne was almost afraid to ask. "Myrcella. Is she . . . ?"

". . . dead? No, though Darkstar did his best. All eyes were on your white knight so no one seems quite certain just what happened, but it would appear that her horse shied away from his at the last instant, else he would have taken off the top of the girl's skull. As it is, the slash opened her cheek down to the bone and sliced off her right ear. Maester Caleotte was able to save her life, but no poultice nor potion will ever restore her face. She was my ward, Arianne. Betrothed to your own brother and under my protection. You have dishonored all of us."

"I never meant her harm," Arianne insisted. "If Hotah had not interfered . . ."

". . . you would have crowned Myrcella queen, to raise a rebellion against her brother. Instead of an ear, she would have lost her life."

"Only if we lost."

"If? The word is when.

. . .

"What they did they did for love for me. They do not deserve to die on Ghaston Grey."

"As it happens, I agree. Aside from Darkstar, your fellow plotters were no more than foolish children. Still, this was no harmless game of cyvasse. You and your friends were playing at treason. I might have had their heads off."

"You might have, but you didn't. Dayne, Dalt, Santagar . . . no, you would never dare make enemies of such Houses."

"I dare more than you dream . . . but leave that for the nonce. Ser Andrey has been sent to Norvos to serve your lady mother for three years. Garin will spend his next two years in Tyrosh. From his kin amongst the orphans, I took coin and hostages. Lady Sylva received no punishment from me, but she was of an age to marry. Her father has shipped her to Greenstone to wed Lord Estermont. As for Arys Oakheart, he chose his own fate and met it bravely. A knight of the Kingsguard . . . what did you do to him?"

No one is sure as to what happened. . . Is it possible that Darkstar did not intend to kill or to maim Myrcella?

Soon or late, however, Ser Balon must arrive at Sunspear, and when he does he will expect to see Princess Myrcella . . . and Ser Arys, his Sworn Brother. What shall we tell him, Arianne? Shall I say that Oakheart perished in a hunting accident, or from a tumble down some slippery steps? Perhaps Arys went swimming at the Water Gardens, slipped upon the marble, hit his head, and drowned?"

"No," Arianne said. "Say that he died defending his little princess. Tell Ser Balon that Darkstar tried to kill her and Ser Arys stepped between them and saved her life." That was how the white knights of the Kingsguard were supposed to die, giving up their own lives for those that they had sworn to protect. "Ser Balon may be suspicious, as you were when the Lannisters killed your sister and her children, but he will have no proof . . ."

". . . until he speaks with Myrcella. Or must that brave child suffer a tragic accident as well? If so, it will mean war. No lie will save Dorne from the queen's wroth if her daughter should perish whilst in my care."

He needs me, Arianne realized. That's why he sent for me.

"No." Princess Arianne unfolded from the cushion where she sat and put a hand on Hotah's arm. "That wasn't how it happened, Cousin. Ser Arys was slain by Gerold Dayne."

The Sand Snakes looked at one another. "Darkstar?"

"Darkstar did it," his little princess said. "He tried to kill Princess Myrcella too. As she will tell Ser Balon."

Nym smiled. "That part at least is true."

"It is all true," said the prince, with a wince of pain. Is it his gout that hurts him, or the lie? "And now Ser Gerold has fled back to High Hermit-age, beyond our reach."

"Darkstar," Tyene murmured, with a giggle. "Why not? It is all his doing. But will Ser Balon believe it?"

"He will if he hears it from Myrcella," Arianne insisted.

. . .

Prince Doran raised a hand. His knuckles were as dark as cherries and near as big. "Ser Balon is a guest beneath my roof. He has eaten of my bread and salt. I will not do him harm. No. We will travel to the Water Gardens, where he will hear Myrcella's story and send a raven to his queen. The girl will ask him to hunt down the man who hurt her. If he is the man I judge, Swann will not be able to refuse. Obara, you will lead him to High Hermitage to beard Darkstar in his den. The time is not yet come for Dorne to openly defy the Iron Throne, so we must needs return Myrcella to her mother, but I will not be accompanying her. That task will be yours, Nymeria. The Lannisters will not like it, no more than they liked it when I sent them Oberyn, but they dare not refuse. We need a voice in council, an ear at court. Be careful, though. King's Landing is a pit of snakes."

The Watcher, Dance 58

Ser Kevan gave her another scowl. "Myrcella was attacked by a Dornish knight named Gerold Dayne. She's alive, but hurt. He slashed her face open, she I'm sorry she lost an ear."

"An ear." Cersei stared at him, aghast. She was just a child, my precious princess. She was so pretty, too. "He cut off her ear. And Prince Doran and his Dornish knights, where were they? They could not defend one little girl? Where was Arys Oakheart?"

"Slain, defending her. Dayne cut him down, it's said."

The Sword of the Morning had been a Dayne, the queen recalled, but he was long dead. Who was this Ser Gerold and why would he wish to harm her daughter? She could not make any sense of this, unless "Tyrion lost half his nose in the Battle of the Blackwater. Slashing her face, cutting off an ear the Imp's grubby little fingers are all over this."

"Prince Doran says nothing of your brother. And Balon Swann writes that Myrcella puts it all on this Gerold Dayne. Darkstar, they call him."

. . .

"Ser Arys was killed, you said."

"At the hands of this man Darkstar, yes."

"Dead, he's dead, you are certain of that?"

"That is what we have been told."

Cersei I, Dance 54

With Balon Swann hunting the rogue knight Darkstar down in Dorne,

Epilogue, Dance

So, the lie Arianne told Myrcella worked. And we should hear of a confrontation between Darkstar and Balon. Note that Obara is to lead Balon to High Hermitage. I wonder what she will do when she gets there?

What makes this theory fun is that The Princess and the Queen, supported by an SSM, foreshadowed that we would see several more claimants sit the Iron Throne before we finish the War for the Dawn. Maybe, just maybe, Darkstar will be one of them.

I don't see it. We know that Dyanna was dead long before his son's birth and we also don't know which house Dyanna came from. Also why should his mother just give him away?

Aegon V would have become the Targaryen patriarch. He would have had the prerogative to decide where to raise the young prince. Dyanna was a Dayne. Since she was wed to a Targaryen, I think it's safe to assume she was from Starfall.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

I understand that many Daynes have platinum blonde hair and purple eyes, but Darkstar is described as a Targaryen. Dig the description of Aerion. . .

The Hedge Knight

OK, so Aerion has curly hair to Darkstar's straight hair, and silver-gold to Darkstar's silver, and a straight nose to Darkstar's aquiline nose. His slim build, middling height, high brow, and pale smooth skin can't be compared to Darkstar because we don't get those details about him. The one thing they have in common is high/sharp cheekbones, and dark eyes.

That's not an argument in favor of them being related.

And there are similar weaknesses in your other evidence, where you're looking for one thing to connect things up and pass over much bigger differences. For example, "... the author subtly compares the bitterness of Aegor Rivers to Darkstar, who prefers to drink unsweetened lemon water, a very bitter drink, to wine". And yet, when you quote from Aerion: "If you cannot manage a horse, fetch me some wine and a pretty wench". So, Darkstar is like a Brightflame because he doesn't drink wine... when the Brightflame himself does drink wine?

And many of your quotes, I'm not even sure what they're supposed to be evidence for. You quote 7 paragraphs of text just to tell us that "No one is sure as to what happened. . . Is it possible that Darkstar did not intend to kill or to maim Myrcella?" OK, and... how does that have anything to do with whether Darkstar is a Brightflame? This is then followed by three even longer quotes, which all serve to tell us that Myrcella believed Arianne's lie, and therefore... what?

Really, after you dig through all of the quotes, the only evidence for the theory is that it's not completely impossible that Maegor has descendants in Dorne, but there's no reason to believe he does, and one sunset could possibly be read as foreshadowing that Darkstar is a Targaryen because it's red, and Darkstar and Aerion are both kind of arrogant bastards.

OK, so Aerion has curly hair to Darkstar's straight hair, and silver-gold to Darkstar's silver, and a straight nose to Darkstar's aquiline nose. His slim build, middling height, high brow, and pale smooth skin can't be compared to Darkstar because we don't get those details about him. The one thing they have in common is high/sharp cheekbones, and dark eyes.

That's not an argument in favor of them being related.

And there are similar weaknesses in your other evidence, where you're looking for one thing to connect things up and pass over much bigger differences. For example, "... the author subtly compares the bitterness of Aegor Rivers to Darkstar, who prefers to drink unsweetened lemon water, a very bitter drink, to wine". And yet, when you quote from Aerion: "If you cannot manage a horse, fetch me some wine and a pretty wench". So, Darkstar is like a Brightflame because he doesn't drink wine... when the Brightflame himself does drink wine?

And many of your quotes, I'm not even sure what they're supposed to be evidence for. You quote 7 paragraphs of text just to tell us that "No one is sure as to what happened. . . Is it possible that Darkstar did not intend to kill or to maim Myrcella?" OK, and... how does that have anything to do with whether Darkstar is a Brightflame? This is then followed by three even longer quotes, which all serve to tell us that Myrcella believed Arianne's lie, and therefore... what?

Really, after you dig through all of the quotes, the only evidence for the theory is that it's not completely impossible that Maegor has descendants in Dorne, but there's no reason to believe he does, and one sunset could possibly be read as foreshadowing that Darkstar is a Targaryen because it's red, and Darkstar and Aerion are both kind of arrogant bastards.

You got it! So, I'll sign you up as a true believer? (Actually, those are good criticisms. I will try to address them in the OP.)

I dont understand how any of this just dispells any and all importance/actuality of Aerion's son being sent to Lys, its predicated on that just being bs no?

I started thinking about this when I was thinking about what happened to Maegor in another thread. The idea that he would go to Lys was predicated on Aerion having strong, likely family, connections in Lys. But that's not the case. Given the family connections to Dayne and Arryn, in that order, it's much more likely that he would have gone to Starfall than to Lys.

One more thing: You really think Darkstar thinks he has a claim, that anyone will back, for the throne based on his mother being descended from someone who was explicitly passed over for inheritance a few generations before the Rebellion? Even if he thought that before, is it really likely to matter after Arianne goes off to meet Aegon?

man people spend tons of time coming up with good ideals, and then you get some users whose sole purpose, is to provide negativity. not even constructive negativity in the form of constructive debate, but just ignorant reply.

I think it's 50/50 that he's a blackfyre. just hard to guess through whom

he took the name of dayne, i would assume, the dragonblood is his mother then. right? the child takes the last name of the father parental?

I started thinking about this when I was thinking about what happened to Maegor in another thread. The idea that he would go to Lys was predicated on Aerion having strong, likely family, connections in Lys. But that's not the case. Given the family connections to Dayne and Arryn, in that order, it's much more likely that he would have gone to Starfall than to Lys.

Ok but again, it is stated as something that happened at a certain point no? So its predicated on that whole thing just being bs no?

One more thing: You really think Darkstar thinks he has a claim, that anyone will back, for the throne based on his mother being descended from someone who was explicitly passed over for inheritance a few generations before the Rebellion? Even if he thought that before, is it really likely to matter after Arianne goes off to meet Aegon?

I don't know. But if he is Maegor's heir, he has a claim to the Iron Throne. I agree that he probably could not hold the throne, but in the current chaos maybe he might be able to sieze it somehow, or perhaps claim it from afar.

man people spend tons of time coming up with good ideals, and then you get some users whose sole purpose, is to provide negativity. not even constructive negativity in the form of constructive debate, but just ignorant reply.

I wouldn't say Falcotron fits into that category of critics. His have been fair criticisms, and I've been editing to see if I can keep this theory afloat.

Archived