Its Official

Seaworth'sShipmate

If that's the case, he had the lamest death ever. If I'm gonna go out, I'd at least like to go out in glory with everyone watching. Interesting that they felt it would be gratuitous.

But tossing Myranda off a tower wall wasn't, not one bit. I guess because we saw her naked.

If that's the case, he had the lamest death ever. If I'm gonna go out, I'd at least like to go out in glory with everyone watching. Interesting that they felt it would be gratuitous.

I didn't have so many problems with Stannis's death. It really defined his character " Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He will break before he bends". The whole scene reminds me of "The Sopranos". A character named Adriana La Cerva is killed offscreen for being an FBI informant. The last thing we see is her running through the woods screaming "No! No!" and her executioner following her and then shooting two times with a gun. We see no body of her! Just two shots and the scene cuts to another. Everybody thought Adriana was still alive as her death was never shown but the actress later confirmed that she is really dead and that the scene was done in such a way to show "respect to her character". Just remember, Ned's beheading also occured off-screen. So did Robert's death. The only thing that bothers me in Stannis's scene is the immediate cut to Ramsay. I think they should have shown something different, like those birds at the end of Ned's execution. You just hear the swing and you know Stannis is dead.

Good, D&D can't hurt him anymore. Stan the Man, RIP.

Anyway, I still think Stannis defeats the Bolton's in the books. I think they will give the rest of Stannis's story to the Bolton's cause D&D really seem to love them.

I've always felt that Stannis would take a dark turn, he gave something up to cast those shadows, that will come back to haunt him eventually. So maybe look for Roose making a descent into madness, which might actually be really interesting. But D&D will butcher it of course.

I didn't have so many problems with Stannis's death. It really defined his character " Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He will break before he bends". The whole scene reminds me of "The Sopranos". A character named Adriana La Cerva is killed offscreen for being an FBI informant. The last thing we see is her running through the woods screaming "No! No!" and her executioner following her and then shooting two times with a gun. We see no body of her! Just two shots and the scene cuts to another. Everybody thought Adriana was still alive as her death was never shown but the actress later confirmed that she is really dead and that the scene was done in such a way to show "respect to her character". Just remember, Ned's beheading also occured off-screen. So did Robert's death. The only thing that bothers me in Stannis's scene is the immediate cut to Ramsay. I think they should have shown something different, like those birds at the end of Ned's execution. You just hear the swing and you know Stannis is dead.

Uh, we do see Ned's head on spike as well as Ice with blood on it after Illyn Payne used it.

Good, D&D can't hurt him anymore. Stan the Man, RIP.

Anyway, I still think Stannis defeats the Bolton's in the books. I think they will give the rest of Stannis's story to the Bolton's cause D&D really seem to love them.

I've always felt that Stannis would take a dark turn, he gave something up to cast those shadows, that will come back to haunt him eventually. So maybe look for Roose making a descent into madness, which might actually be really interesting. But D&D will butcher it of course.

Honestly, I think you should all show the producers a bit more respect. It pains me to see that this forum has become a society of haters. Creating a TV series from the books, that are by the words of GRRM unadaptable... Do you think that is easy? Yes, we all disagree with some choices they made but still, there are numerous scenes that they did not "butcher". And with all that "Stannis hate"... If they had really hated him and tried to show him as a villain, do you think they would have included "Get out", "Forgive me" before the burning, his tears after that or the story about Shireen's greyscale and Stannis desperately trying to cure her? And he was clearly uncomfortable with any burning, he released Davos from the dungeon because he knew burning Gendry is not right, he apologized to his wife at Dragonstone, he was clearly saddened when she died even though there was never any love between them. So no, Stannis was clearly not a villain but very grey character and burning Shireen was a dark but still a grey moment. He sacrificed the life of his only child to save thousands of others. Yes, he still failed at the end but not burning Shireen would have meant everyone freezing to death. And his final moments... he still killed two Bolton soldiers. If the producers wanted to show him in the most unfavorable light, why haven't these two men killed him? His death by the hands of Brienne clearly defined his character: "Do your duty" - He knew he was going to die but on the other hand, he had nothing to live for. He sacrificed his own daughter, his wife killed herself and there is no way he can defeat the Boltons. So a fitting end to his character.

I've read several times that the producers favor Daenerys and show her in white light only. But is it true? If I remember right, Daenerys is shown in a very grey light since season 4. Crucifying those masters, executing Mossador, feeding master Eaton, who may actually be innocent, to one of her dragons, banishing ser Jorah twice... Apparently not entirely true.

As it concerns the Boltons, I actually like them a lot more than their book counterparts. What bothered me the most about the Boltons is that they are shown as completely villainous and evil characters. Hell, Roose even behaves like a villain. And book Ramsay.... I have no words for him. But TV Ramsay is acually more "fleshed out". Yes, some would have said "toned down" but in my opinion it is not the case. Book Ramsay exists solely for being as sadistic as possible. He is basicly a well known monster in human skin. TV Ramsay is still sadistic and vile but what I like about him are the other scenes. The scenes where they show him that he is still just a person. I like the fact that he is a good fighter and also pretty intelligent. Not nowhere near his father but still isn't he supposed to resemble him in some way? Book Ramsay was introduced in his Reek persona and even then he was villainous character, convincing Theon to kill his own men and the farmer's boys. Show Ramsay was actually introduced in a very sympathetic light ("There will be still time for forgiveness my lord") even though he was later revealed to be sadistic. What he did to Sansa was pretty cruel, but nowhere near disturbing as what book Ramsay did to Jeyne. When Sansa taunted him about his bastard status, he didn't go full rage mode as his book counterpart, but remained calm and threatening like "Watch your tounge or I will hurt you" but at the same time thinking "She may be right?" He is actually very skilled pyschological tormentor, which I found a lot more interesting and there is no need for his beast mode on TV.

But the beheading itself was still not shown.

Well... you know they cut the scene 1 miliseconds before Ilyn's sword goes through his neck. And it was a public execution, we have seen the whole build up and aftermath of it.

Seriously, just rewatch the scene and think it is the same thing with Stannis' death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgjP_0iFm0

With everyone involved in the show clearly lying about Jon Snow being dead, it's impossible to trust them 100% about the deaths of any other character.

I'll believe Stannis truly is gone when we see the aftermath of the scene next season. Until then, i'm uncertain. I think the biggest clue that suggests he might still be alive (besides the cut away from the actual death blow) is the fact that Pod was off camera during the execution, after we were clearly shown him picking up his battle axe. It's plausible that he'll interrupt Brienne as their main objective is to rescue the Stark girls, not to deliver justice for Renly. Maybe he'll see some value in keeping Stannis alive with that goal in mind. It would also lead on nicely to a redemption storyline for Stannis. Resigned to the fact that he's lost the war for the throne as well as the fact that he's not Azor Ahai reborn, he could agree to help save the Stark girls out of guilt for killing his own daughter.

Yet we saw Catelyn's throat cut, a pregnant woman stabbed in the stomach, and Robb being stabbed by Roose Bolton.

I always thought Stannis was dead, but obviously there is a little feeling in me that wants him to be alive and thinks he is still alive. But dont see how anybody would want to support him now, maybe Sansa helps him out with the Northern support, but somehow doubt it. The Baratheons are done, as dont see Gendry taking the IT either. So guess Euron and watching the whole realm burn

Lamest ever? Compared to, let's say, Robert? Ned? Robb? Renly? Joffrey? Drogo? Cat? Lysa? Tywin? Tywin was shot on the crapper, and you say Stannis had the lamest death ever?

Lamest ever? Compared to, let's say, Robert? Ned? Robb? Renly? Joffrey? Drogo? Cat? Lysa? Tywin? Tywin was shot on the crapper, and you say Stannis had the lamest death ever?

I wasnt trying to start an argument. If I were a character I'd want to have an on screen death, just my personal opinion. Tywin was at least shown and I liked how he was killed. The way Stannis was killed leaves too much speculation. Sorry I upset you.

The show hasn't used the death fakeouts all that much, if at all. Maybe Davos and Tyrion at blackwater. But that is all I can think of. Even Jon is dead, he just might not stay that way. The show has gone out of the way to avoid doing fakeout deaths, even ones GRRM wrote in.

Stannis is dead a doornail. And why wouldn't he be. He lost his kingdom at the blackwater.

Not dead. Also wont spoil anything either.

But GOT's has no problem showing deaths on screen. Why would they all of a sudden just not show this one? They have done it with even more major characters yet with Stannis they all of a sudden decide to not show it? I wont say too much more but put 2 and 2 together

Archived