If tWoW isn't released before April, are book readers still going to watch s6?

LatrineDiggerBrian

I'm going to watch it live even if the book comes out a few weeks after (fat chance). The only way for them to ruin the show for me is if they kill off Jon for good and start relying too heavily on cheap shock value. I can appreciate both entities for various reasons. Both GOT and ASOIAF are flawed but highly entertaining in their own ways. I understand that differences are unavoidable. What is good on page doesn't have to translate well on screen, the show also doesn't get to have as many luxuries the books have and so on.

Every show that's ever been has suffered from a drop in quality from time to time. It's normal. Season 5 was not as good as it could have been, especially when compared to the previous ones (bar s2), but was still better than 98% of the shit that's currently on TV. It had its fair share of dumb writing and convenient/boring plot points but it's not like AFfC/ADwD didn't have plenty of those too. There were a few things I wished had made it to the show, but I'm glad some others did not. Like I'm forever grateful to whoever decided to cut out that contrived cheesefest aka Lady Stoneheart. And I wouldn't mind never seeing the Ironborn in GOT.

At least we don't have to wait forever for each season.

The books and show are totally different animals. They have been since very early on, and that is almost what makes the series fun is seeing the crazy little differences. Well, that and the memes lawl. Now that full divergence may occur, things are apt to get even more entertaining. The complaints will be louder, the disparity between book and show will be more severe, the cold war between Martin and D+D will feature even vaguer insults... I can't wait. Really.

Some of you are going to be like that Japanese soldier found decades after the War had ended.

You'll turn off Facebook, not go on the Internet, avoid friends who are fans, waiting for the book to come out for years. You'll be so cut off youll never bear that the book has been cancelled altogether. Still muttering about how awful D&D are years after the world has moved on to new shoes and new fantasy series. A relic of a fandom from the past.

I'm going to watch it live even if the book comes out a few weeks after (fat chance). The only way for them to ruin the show for me is if they kill off Jon for good and start relying too heavily on cheap shock value. I can appreciate both entities for various reasons. Both GOT and ASOIAF are flawed but highly entertaining in their own ways. I understand that differences are unavoidable. What is good on page doesn't have to translate well on screen, the show also doesn't get to have as many luxuries the books have and so on.

Well, that ship has already sailed.

Every show that's ever been has suffered from a drop in quality from time to time. It's normal. Season 5 was not as good as it could have been, especially when compared to the previous ones (bar s2), but was still better than 98% of the shit that's currently on TV. It had its fair share of dumb writing and convenient/boring plot points but it's not like AFfC/ADwD didn't have plenty of those too. There were a few things I wished had made it to the show, but I'm glad some others did not. Like I'm forever grateful to whoever decided to cut out that contrived cheesefest aka Lady Stoneheart. And I wouldn't mind never seeing the Ironborn in GOT. 

At least we don't have to wait forever for each season. 

Obviously, I haven't seen enough shit that's currently on TV. If it's really that terrible that even the awful season 5 of GoT is better, why are people even watching TV?

Some of you are going to be like that Japanese soldier found decades after the War had ended.

You'll turn off Facebook, not go on the Internet, avoid friends who are fans, waiting for the book to come out for years. You'll be so cut off youll never bear that the book has been cancelled altogether. Still muttering about how awful D&D are years after the world has moved on to new shoes and new fantasy series. A relic of a fandom from the past.

At least we won't be alone. We'll be constantly followed around by the crazed show defenders screaming about how great the show is and even if it's not, the books are shit, and anyway it's all historically accurate because there was rape in Middle Ages and book readers are so terrible and evil and nerdy and how dare they say anything bad about the show etc.

First of all yes I will watch it first, unless there is something like a May release date for the book and it is just a matter of holding on a few weeks.

Secondly people are deluding themselves if they don't think there will be major spoilers in the show, that will be near identical to the book plotlines.

In terms of the POV characters of the first book the show has been remarkably faithful thus far. Of that group only Sansa has had a significant diversion, but she basically didn't have a AFFC/ADWD storyline in any case.

For later, usually more secondary, characters it has been far more mixed I would agree. But by definition these people have far less significance to the main plot. Stannis has a big fan club I am aware but in reality he is a failed Pretender with delusions he is the saviour of the world. Condensing the last arc of his plot into one season felt rushed but it is hard to argue it made much difference to the core storyline.

I will watch it, unless we have a confirmed release from GRRM at some point during the season or shortly afterwards, at which point I will hold off until then.

That would never happen. If the book is about to be released, either the show would be pushed back a few weeks/months, or the editors would hurry up to release the book by April.

The books and show are totally different animals. They have been since very early on, and that is almost what makes the series fun is seeing the crazy little differences. Well, that and the memes lawl. Now that full divergence may occur, things are apt to get even more entertaining. The complaints will be louder, the disparity between book and show will be more severe, the cold war between Martin and D+D will feature even vaguer insults... I can't wait. Really.

I don't know if there is a cold war between them. Just recently George wrote a blog post about how one of his ASOIAF books was on the best selling list and he credited the TV show and thanked Dave and Dan. Also recently he wrote a post about Sibel Kikelli and was complimentary of D & D's rendition of Shae. While I think he does disagree with them about some stuff, I think the relationship is amicable. It's a hard situation for both sides, D & D might never get the credit they deserve from certain factions and George is letting someone else tell his story before he's able to write it which is unprecedented. 

When Stannis burns his daughter in the books who are you going to blame?

First he has to get in touch with her lol

Ya I won't watch unless the book comes out waaay after season 6. I wan't to read it fresh and pure from martin's mouth, it'll be that much more exciting. i read the books after season 4 and reading it after watching it was much harder, when i got to Dance, it was all fresh. and then when season 5 came out it was fresh once again cuz they changed so much and i had no idea where they were going with stuff. 

The show spoils the books worse than the other way around. As entertainment the show is still great, the adaption isnt that good anymore but i still enjoy it.

Archived