what if Snow is really, permanently dead?

Gomagoti

IF he was dead, you'd assume that the Night's Watch would be screwed. They are surrounded by hardened wildlings (Tormund with his 50 men there, plus all the others at Castle Black), and the surrounding castles are full of them. They are surrounded and wouldn't have the man power to beat them. If Jon Snow truly does die, I hope this is the case and they are wiped out.

I need to read the book again, especially that chapter, as my first read through left me thinking that there is way more to the scene than we think.

Few things maybe you guys can point out for me..

a) Why was Jon Snow so clumsy in getting his sword? Was he poisoned by someone or something along those lines?

b) Sounds like the stewards are the only ones who attacked Jon, wouldn't the other NW and the wildlings had intervened?

c) Who was actually present at that scene, sounds like there were many people there. Queens men, wildlings, NW.... were the majority in on it? Was there an all out attack on the wildlings after jon was attacked?

I think that would be incredibly lame, bait and switch storytelling.

I feel the same way. Robb and Ned's stories came to logical endings with their respective deaths. I'm not so sure the case is the same with Jon. There are just too many narrative threads left dangling. Moreover, it would run counter to things Martin has said in the past. Obviously he can change his mind, but for me, Jon being actually dead will be wholly unsatisfying in a way that I didn't find with many of the other "big deaths."

You only think

I feel the same way. Robb and Ned's stories came to logical endings with their respective deaths. I'm not so sure the case is the same with Jon. There are just too many narrative threads left dangling. Moreover, it would run counter to things Martin has said in the past. Obviously he can change his mind, but for me, Jon being actually dead will be wholly unsatisfying in a way that I didn't find with many of the other "big deaths."

You only think Ned and Robb came to logical endings because you've had 10+ years to absorb that information. Ned was shocking, he was in the midst of trying to set the kingdom aright and his house was splintered.

Robb was in the middle of his arc of avenging his father, trying to recover his family, secure his home and fight off the Lannisters who'd just been joined by a short sighted Tyrell family.

Jon is not really in a different situation than they were.

Archived