Strain S2, soooo?

Alia of the knife

Well, have to catch up with both the show and the thread, but my initial thoughts are, it was kinda fun last year - or the first half of the first season maybe - but this year... I'm finding everything underwhelming and kinda boring so far. Have two eps to watch, but I'm dragging my feet a bit. :dunno:

Well, have to catch up with both the show and the thread, but my initial thoughts are, it was kinda fun last year - or the first half of the first season maybe - but this year... I'm finding everything underwhelming and kinda boring so far. Have two eps to watch, but I'm dragging my feet a bit. :dunno:

My impression is that Abraham is the worst nemesis ever. Every five episodes they show him fucking up. They even took away the one moment of implied competence he had-[spoiler]getting the sword from the Master. Apparently he just leaves it lying around for all his nemeses[/spoiler]

It's almost farcical,we're reaching Like Scull levels here,his character would belong in a deconstruction of the heroic narrative if Quinlan wasn't around to play it straight

I'm rooting for Kelly if that tells you anything.

My impression is that Abraham is the worst nemesis ever. Every five episodes they show him fucking up. They even took away the one moment of implied competence he had-[spoiler]getting the sword from the Master. Apparently he just leaves it lying around for all his nemeses[/spoiler]

It's almost farcical,we're reaching Like Scull levels here,his character would belong in a deconstruction of the heroic narrative if Quinlan wasn't around to play it straight

I can hardly keep the characters' names straight... Quinlan is the new guy, the halfling? I know what you're saying about Abraham, but I love David Bradley so I don't even care at this point. I watch the show while playing sudoku or candy crush, I really don't feel invested in the story at all. 

I don't know, it feels like there's practically no character development at all. I find myself not really caring about the fate of any of the characters, especially Eph and Nora in a way. I just watched eps 7 & 8 last night. When Eph and Nora talk about what happened in DC, and he tells her 4 people died as a result and tells her who they were, the impression I got was that above all else she was annoyed because she sensed he'd had a fling with Leigh. I mean, seriously? That's the most important thing in that convo for her? That a guy she used to have a thing with maybe had a thing with someone else? 

I can hardly keep the characters' names straight... Quinlan is the new guy, the halfling? I know what you're saying about Abraham, but I love David Bradley so I don't even care at this point. I watch the show while playing sudoku or candy crush, I really don't feel invested in the story at all. 

I don't know, it feels like there's practically no character development at all. I find myself not really caring about the fate of any of the characters, especially Eph and Nora in a way. I just watched eps 7 & 8 last night. When Eph and Nora talk about what happened in DC, and he tells her 4 people died as a result and tells her who they were, the impression I got was that above all else she was annoyed because she sensed he'd had a fling with Leigh. I mean, seriously? That's the most important thing in that convo for her? That a guy she used to have a thing with maybe had a thing with someone else? 

Eph makes me want to punch a clown.

Cersei & Joffrey are more likeable than Eff & his douchey spawn

I did enjoy Eph forcing his kid to face the reality of the situation though. All kids acting like little shits in apocalyptic or just strange or dire scenarios  should get a similar dose of reality.

Hahaha - I know.  It's ridiculous.  The fight scene with Abraham and German vamp was hysterical.  And why does the German dodge bullets sometimes, and sometimes no?  

Same here.  I thought it was funny that Kelly sulks after her unsuccessful attempt to get icky Zach.  She's like an emo teenage vampire.  And Eph resembles a strigoi now that he has no hair.  

And it seems that Norah and Fet are about to become a thing.  I hope they do; they are both currently involved with extremely selfish people.  It's turning into an apocalyptic "Friends" episode, where the main characters can only be involved with each other.

Hahaha - I know.  It's ridiculous.  The fight scene with Abraham and German vamp was hysterical.  And why does the German dodge bullets sometimes, and sometimes no?  

Less of a fight and more "out of my way grandpa!". "Oh, Eph, he's coming for you! I'll be right here!"

All their fights go like that. Either the German leads Abraham on a wild goose chase then steals/kills something he loves, or you wonder why a 94 y/o man with a sword thinks that he can fight like,the only regular  vampire in a series that moves faster and is more durable  than a zombie. 

Would I be hated on if I said im wary of the second series?

The first few episodes grabbed my attention, but after a while the shows niggling issues just made me go off it.

-Have they done something about "Eph" (What an awkward name) hair?

-Has the show become more believable (I.e No gaping plot holes, such as why none of the US media conglomerates have gone mad with the story of some serial killers leaving houses burnt down full of headless corpses? Or why the outbreak went unnoticed for such a long time in the day of modern digital media? How a morgue in NY could remain dark for days without anyone noticing? Why eph would be as stupid as to try an explain what he did to his superior without showing him the video evidence of what happened first?

Have they redone the master? does he still look like something the producers kid wore on Halloween?

Now haters take note- I really like the premise of the show -its just that ive been spoilt rotten by the Walking Deadand I think they could have done better with what they had

Right, now to make my escape from the incoming barrage of saggy tomatoes and rotten turnips :eek: :eek: :eek:

See, you should be a regular in this thread once you realize the brilliance that is The Strain.

Inept heroes: Check
Evil/funny villains: Check
Ick Factor: Double check
Nonsensical plot lines: Check
Unintentional humor: Double check

What more do you want?? There should be a special Emmy category for shows like this. If Eph grows his hair back and it's totally unacknowledged, it would make it perfect.

See, you should be a regular in this thread once you realize the brilliance that is The Strain.

Inept heroes: Check
Evil/funny villains: Check
Ick Factor: Double check
Nonsensical plot lines: Check
Unintentional humor: Double check

What more do you want?? There should be a special Emmy category for shows like this. If Eph grows his hair back and it's totally unacknowledged, it would make it perfect.

What's annoying about this show is with the level of acting and writing talent they have it should be a LOT better than it is. OK even if you think Guilermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan are overrated hacks they're still way way better than this steaming pile of shit.

Anyhoo last ep. The dude playing the Nazi vampire decides to actually act, as in not ham it up for the cameras or woodenly repeat the crap handed to him on the script, but act mothafucka! For some brief minutes during this episode I was bordering on impressed, but then the rest of the cast threatened to strike and he went back to routine 'I am ze one who iz going to kill da Joo' nonsense and I could breathe again.

The annoying kid has still not been saved by vampire mom. I am seriously considering reporting her to child services if she doesn't get her game on soon. Failing to save the kid from Eph is starting to look deliberate IMO, maybe she still harbors feelz for everyone's favorite lunatic alcoholic.

The English bi chick who crashed the internet is becoming boring since she reconnected with her girlfriend. I only saw one instance of  welding from her this episode, and she was fabricating window covers to keep the vamps out. What's the point of having an English bi chick on a show like this if she can't indulge in some pointless welding? I want some crummy lookin abstract sculpture dammit!

We didn't get much Montgomery Burns this ep, which was a shame. If there's one character that represents the gloriously camp splendor this show could have been it's him.

Then we got to the man vs strigoi 'epic' battle'. Didn't anyone think to maybe hook those UV lights up to a back up diesel gen? Coz like they're really important and being in the middle of a vampire apocalypse there might be the odd power outage? Accepting that every character on this show is a complete idiot...still eh?

Lastly Abraham makes another terrible effort to kill a vampire, this time the Nazi one. I've gone from being semi convinced that Abraham and the Master used to have a thing, but the Master dumped him for being too clingy, and Abe has been stalking him ever since, to just thinking Abe is a complete moron. So he went up to the house and shouts out to the vamp exactly where he was! After being easily over powered he's only saved when Eph intervenes. If you're depending on Eph, fucking Eph!, to save your life you got some serious judgment issues bro. Besides isn't Abraham looking for the lumina whadyamathingy which will tell him to kill the Master? So why is he risking everything to kill one of his minions? Coz it's personal that's why...

Why can't I stop watching this show? Why??????

Archived